Toxic Sludge Black IPA | Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company
New York, United States
bluepointbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete

Added by mcallister on 08-04-2010

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

A. It is basically black in color. It has a nice foamy head that leaves a good deal of lacing behind.

S. There's a nice malt and hop scent to it.

T/M. It has a beautiful blend of hops and malt. There's a mild nutty chocolate taste to it, with a nice hoppy bite. Some carbonation

O. I would have to do an official tasting, but this might just be the best black IPA that I've ever had. Well balanced and flavorful, not overbearing.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beige sticky head sits atop this really really dark auburn chestnut brown brew. A nice glow when held to light too.
A pleasing aroma greets you with a pleasent hop and malt attack. Nicely balance with neither beating out each other for favor.
Alas, the flavor is a letdown. Nothing greets you to pull you in. You can taste hops balancing out a slight roasted malt bill but neither one has any get up and go.
Finishs dry and bitter. This might not be the best buy it's easy drinking smooth and has all the characteristics of a fine BIPA being hoppy witha a tad of roast thrown in.

4.17/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Toxic Sludge in a CAN?!? It says that it comes from New York, but I wonder if it wasn't by way of New Jersey ... Maybe next, they'll find a way to put it in a 55-gallon drum which could then be forklifted onto the bar and served via gravity so that it would still count as a CAN.

From the CAN: "Caution Extremely Fresh"; "Product of USA"; "Small Batch" [but in a big pint CAN].

The Crack released a noxious green cloud and I had to evacuate the house while Fire & Rescue did their thing. The inverted Glug revealed a highly suspicious viscous liquid and I had to wait for it to settle before proceeding. I had a dense finger of light-brown foam that seemed destined not to go away until I deployed my flame thrower and burned it off. Color was a deep ruby-red with NE-quality clarity, enabling me to see all manner of mutant creatures swimming around in it. I began to wonder - if Minhas products have turned me into a Cyberman in the past, what effect was Toxic Sludge going to have on me? There was only one way to find out and so I charged ahead, taking my first sip of the day. Mouthfeel was medium and I could feel the creatures tugging on my tongue as they tried to get purchase, but to no avail. They slid right down my gullet and into my stomach where my mutant stomach acid instantly dissolved them. My Minhas-mutated bodily systems were too much for Toxic Sludge! I had a feeling that such might be the case, but now, I am sure of it. I laugh in the face of The Toxic Avenger! Bring on Godzilla! I liked how the minty hops really held their own on the nose. One of my principal complaints about the style is that it seems to negate the best of both worlds with the malt overtaking the hops and the hops dumbing down the malt. Not so here. This was quite drinkable and I got plenty enough hoppy bitterness to keep me happy. The dark roasted malt added a charcoal bitterness that enhanced, rather than overwhelmed, the hops. The finish was quite dry and if I had to drink a Black/Cascadian IPA, this is the one that I would prefer. Remember, kids, get it in the CAN!

3.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned November 15, 2012. Served at around 45F.

Pours dark brown to black in the glass with red highlights, surprisingly light-colored head for a dark brew, off-white to a very light beige, 3 fingers, very rocky/foamy, lasts forever.

Aroma is kind of mild, lemony citrus, pine, caramel, bread, light roasted malt. As it warms up, it gets better, better strength, more roasted malt notes.

Flavor is pine and citrus hops, lemony, mild roasted malts, mild chocolate & coffee, mild sweetness, good bitterness, mild alcohol. THEN it warms up and gets a lot better. Citrus, pine, dark, rich roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, caramel.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, good to sharp carbonation.

A hoppy Guinness? Light in body and light in the roasted malt flavor. Gets a LOT better as it warms up, Good to Very Good Black IPA. Not the greatest out there (Sublimely, Dubhe, etc), but in the ballpark of something like 21st Amendment’s Back in Black.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz CAN, really busy design, served in an imperial pint

The body resembles that of a cola, with a huge fluffy tan head. Aroma provides whiffs of licorice, pine, and sticky charred malt. The flavor profile hits with more of the same - bitter pine resin, smoke, char, malt. This doesn't hold up that well compared to some of the west coast staples. It's spicy and bitter but lacks a clean hop profile underneath all of the blackness. Worth a CAN purchase, but would be challenging to drink more than one.

4.17/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured this one into my trusty, ever ready, Sam Adams pint glass. The body is a deep dark glossy brown, almost black, with a beige head that hangs on like a champ.
The aroma is complicated mix of roasted malt, burnt pumpernickel, molasses, plum, booze and pine.
What I taste is everything mentioned above plus a fair heaping of coffee malts accompanied with a rather sinister hop sizzle and sting that lets you know that what you have before you is not for beginners.
I found the mouthfeel to be of medium body with perfect carbonation.
Overall this is a solid brew from a great brewery.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a tallboy into a tumbler pint, the beer is a dark, clear, auburn-caramel coloring with a thin, off-white, fluffy, foamy head of about a half an inch, with a slight cling along the glass. Aromas of roast, slightly charred malts with a spiced, cedar hops profile. Flavors of char on the forward tongue, with rich, resiny hops following quickly behind it. Peppery and oregano spiced, with a cedar and pine pitch overtone. Very spiced aftertaste, with a resiny linger. The body is surprisingly light, but not crisp, which felt odd for the style. Roasty, mildly resiny linger in the finish, which is carbonated bubbly and short-lived.

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%

Two finger off white head on a clear deep amber body, a very attractive beer. Nice lacing an excellent retention. Roasted malts, caramel ad burnt toast. Not much in the way of hops which are mosty earthy. Although the flavor is very well balanced I feel both the malts and hops are understated. Hops are earthy, caramels dn hint if chocolate for sweetness on a roasted malt base. Medium body and moderate carbonation. Not a bad beer, nicely balanced just feel the malts and hops are a bit weak with too simple a hop profile to be considered one of the better of this genre.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

The hops have faded somewhat, yet the shwartzbier, roasted black beer aroma and flavour remain. And so I get a somewhat citrus integrated shwartz. Good aroma, good colour and off-white head and lace. Very drinkable. Pleasant, below average as a straight out black ipa.Can from Steve in Warren. Middling mouthfeel.

Toxic Sludge Black IPA from Blue Point Brewing Company