Toxic Sludge Black IPA | Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company
New York, United States
bluepointbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete

Added by mcallister on 08-04-2010

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

On tap at Gainesville House of Beer. Pours pitch black and smells like its name. Muddled boozy wet dog and burnt grain aroma. Taste follows with a lot going on, none of it which I like. Dirt and booze flavor, a little roast, rather bold, and then more booze. Slightly sweet, and very little balancing bitter. Medium to heavy bodied, low carbonation. Meh. I was disappointed with this one.

4.53/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall I think of this as the best black IPA I have ever had. Granted, I haven't had a ton, but I love this one. It has a sharp, pungent aroma that is unique amongst black IPA's... it is very reminiscent of a porter/stout actually.

What I really want to add to these reviews is this... a couple of days ago a opened a bottle that I have had sitting on a shelf for over a year which I purchased directly from the brewery (I live in the area). All I can say is WOW! I always enjoyed this beer but never realized how much it actually improved with age. It was creamier and brought out all of the best flavors in the beer. Really quite fantastic. If you have the means, pick up some 22 oz bottles, have patience, and let them sit for a minimum of a year. You won't be disappointed.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours a dark brown with some ruby highlights and two fingers of beige head that fades into a thin cap with pretty decent lacing.

S: Dry piny aromas dominate. It smells almost like a dry Irish or oyster stout with some piny hops aromas. There are notes of roasted malts and smoke in there as well.

T: Similar to the aroma, dry roasted malt flavors dominate at first with some light char and bitter notes. Resin and pine hop flavors bring up the lightly bitter finish.

M: Medium body with mid-low carbonation, this beer avoids being watery, but could use a bit more carbonation.

O: An alright beer, overall, though nothing really special. I'd like more roasted and creamy malt characters along with a stronger hop presence.

3.45/5  rDev -8%

on tap at devils den in philly

Pours a cola brown color with a thick, fluffy tanned head resting on top. Retains throughout most of the pour, leaving patchy and ringed lacing all over the glass.

A spike of piny hops in the nose, quickly swept away by a somewhat sweet malty note. Hints of chocolate and char with a faint warmth.

Bitter up front with a decent hop character. Definitely more on the sticky piny side of the spectrum, with a pretty roasty, solid malt backbone lurking underneath. Bready and toasted with a chocolate sweetness in the malts. Finishes fairly bitter and dry with a little suggestion of alcohol.

Medium body, smoother carbonation, very fluffy and creamy on the tongue. This drinks okay (thanks to the cask conditioning), although I there really wasn't an abundance of memorable flavor here.

Toxic Sludge Black IPA from Blue Point Brewing Company