Kölsch | Brauhaus Sion

Style: Kölsch

Added by allboutbierge on 11-08-2003

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

My first taste of Sion (zee-own in English pronounciation) was in bottle-form, from the Cologne hotel room "courtesy bar" (which courteously charged me E$4.50). I was a bit taken a-back, the taste was much more hops/pilsner than I'd expected. I went out into the old-town and tried some at a few taps, and found the bottled form rather consistent with the tap (although you just can't beat a tap with a bottle).

This kolsch reminded me a lot of the good old now-gone Pittsburgh German beers. It has that nice hopsy-bite and odor, a good zing, not overly carbonated, a modest but tasty head which collapses fairly quickly, a short-lived hop aftertaste but not bitter, and a nice non-offensive belch following.

I've tried on several occasions to detect the slight undertones of the taste. I can only say possibly something like yellow buttered-corn or something, very complementary and somewhat distinctive as far as kolsch undertones go. Plus, a modest malt-taste in the head, the beer and also in the pleasant aftertaste.

I stumbled upon the Sion Brauhaus shortly thereafter! The tap beer at the Brauhaus was consistent with the others around-town. I returned later with my wife and my daughter. We enjoyed a sumptuous dinner, with great service (2 servers keeping an eye on us, for instance), no problems getting seating during dinner-hour. There are plenty of tables and they're not crowded together. The Sion Kolsch went fairly well with the meal, but was better afterwards, since the hop/pilsner taste did compete with some of the food tastes. All of our dinner items were top-notch. The Sion even mixed well with the outstanding cups of espresso coffee which followed my meal.

My daughter opted for local Reisling rather than the kolsch. My wife tried the kolsch but was not overjoyed-- definitely not a "ladies' beer."

On several other occasions in Cologne, we were waiting for a table at other brauhauses. People would walk in, see the long waiting-line, look at each other and say simply, "Sion," and off they went to the Sion Brauhaus.

Overall, I suppose I was more impressed with the Sion Kolsch than the reviewers before me. It seems to be, from my experience, a less-typical kolsch beer, but it sure moved to the top of my list in its own unique category, and one kolsch that I will seek out and be excited to see its name hanging over any doorway.

4.35/5  rDev +22.2%

A- clear straw yellow, white head, great head retention
S- little bready, low aroma, black pepper,
T- bready, light sweetness, long lasting noble hop bitterness, vanilla,
M- med-light body, medium carbonation
D- very drinkable beer, the mellow carbonation makes this kolsch quite quaffable

4.31/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

200 ml. draft @ Brauhaus Sion. Pours a clear golden with a creamy white head. Nose is nice, clean, crisp, lightly hoppy, hay, light grass & mellow yeast. Taste is light grass hops, hay, crisps, touch sweeter yeast, faint honey, slightly sweet, faint bread. Very clean, light, absolutely no off-flavours hear. Creamy, flavourful, highly enjoyable, great stuff & overall probably my favourite of the different Kölsch’s I tried in Cologne. Loved it.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Look: Looks like a pilsner - clear, golden yellow with a fluffy white head. Good retention, some lacing.

Smell: Very clean, almost clinical and very German. Good balance of hops and grain, with more of a bias towards the latter. Hints of citrus, herbs and cut grass. Quite floral too.

Taste: Much like the smell - very clean and refreshing. The hop character comes through a bit more, but there are also hints of grain and floral notes. For something with five ingredients, the flavour has quite a bit going for it.

Feel: Quite light, as its appearance might suggest and smooth with it - it lacks the astringence that some German beers have. Even so, it has a good mouthfeel and goes down very nicely indeed. Would be a superb summer drink.

Overall: Kölsch is a new style for me, and I have to say I'm rather impressed - it's different enough from a lot of German lagers to make it seeking out. I can certainly envisage myself trying more beers in this style. Recommended.

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Pale straw yellow. Large, fizzy bubbles. The foam is thin and doesn't stay around for long.

S: Fresh, slightly metallic, some hop aroma. Hints of malt and some fruity yeast tones.

T: Clean and crisp. Some sweetness balanced by a distinct and simple bitterness. Small hints of grain. The aftertaste is dry and bitter. Very refreshing.

M: Thin liquid. The liquid behaves a little bit like champagne; it bruises up a little bit in my mouth. As with every other thing in this beer, the mouthfeel is fresh.

O: Deliciously refreshing. One of the best kölsch in the whole Cologne. Perfect for hot summerdays, and I wish the Swedish Systembolaget would import them.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this from a tap in Berlin--maybe the taste improves with travel across the country?

It looks like apple juice with a small head, so the look is not particularly impressive, and the nose is pretty weak, but it tastes nice and drinks well.

I really enjoyed the interplay of the lemon-floral hop bite, the musty honey-and-grape-like malts, a little bit of caramel, and the very clean finish.

The mouthfeel is a little watery, so I have to mark that down, but I happily ordered three of them, and may go back to that bar, just because.

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%

Drank on draft. Pours clear straw. Very mild aroma but malt comes through. Taste is clean with malty smoky taste at forefront and more than slight bitterness on backend. Mouthfeel is more ale like than lager like which is great. My new favorite kolsch.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%

Had a bottle of this at Cologne (Köln) Central Station as my first Kolsch in Cologne and enjoyed it very much. It was served with a small head and no lace. Color was a clear yellow. Very aromatic, lemony, grainy, and fresh. Flavor was similar, balanced and had a slight bitter finish. Good body and carbonation. Easy session beer.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Sion Koelsch tasted from 0.5 l botle best before 12-07-05. Nice poorout but no great head and darkgolden beercolor. Nose is malty but also fruity for a Koelsch, sweet but fresh overal arome. Taste is full malty with litle caramel, fruity and a proper bitterness thats litle hanging. Mouthfeel is smooth and delicate but could be just a litle more. Drinkability is ok but I love to have just that litle extra that this one just doesn't have in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Sion is a fairly easy to find Kölsch on tap, but nearly impossible in bottles. Reviewed at the Brauhaus.

Sion's color is a pale but vibrant gold. Its completely transparent and offers a huge head with exremely heavy lace. Fairly attractive.

Its aroma is very floral and offers notes of dry hops. Fairly strong aroma compared to other Kölsch beers. Its flavorl is very malty for Kölsch but strikes a strong balance with its hop characteristics. No fancy or suprisingly flavors here.

Sion seemed slightly watery. Not as full as Mühlen, Päffgen, or even Reissdorf. Something wasn't there. Regardless, this beer would make one hell of a summer sipper.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Cask at Brauhaus Sion, Köln, Germany

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color with a finger high white head. A very light amount of carbonation is visible in the form of rising bubbles.
S: There are light aromas of flowery hops on the nose along with some notes of bready malts.
T: The taste is relatively balanced between light amounts of malty flavors and mild bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels extremely light-bodied on the palate and is very smooth, crisp and refreshing. A light to medium amount of carbonation is perceptible.
D: The beer is very thirst quenching and sessionable. I could easily drink these all night.

Kölsch from Brauhaus Sion