Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Kölsch | Brauhaus Sion

Added by allboutbierge on 11-08-2003

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

Cask at Brauhaus Sion, Köln, Germany

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color with a finger high white head. A very light amount of carbonation is visible in the form of rising bubbles.
S: There are light aromas of flowery hops on the nose along with some notes of bready malts.
T: The taste is relatively balanced between light amounts of malty flavors and mild bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels extremely light-bodied on the palate and is very smooth, crisp and refreshing. A light to medium amount of carbonation is perceptible.
D: The beer is very thirst quenching and sessionable. I could easily drink these all night.

2.84/5  rDev -20.2%

On-draught in Koln.

C / AVERAGE

2.97/5  rDev -16.6%

Clear light gold color. Small head and no lace.

Skunky aroma. (Served from a clear glass bottle). Kölsch is such a delicate beer, this is such a shame.

The taste improves with more soft pale malt than skunkiness. Smooth with lots of gas. Light souring of the malt in the swallow and short aftertaste.

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Sion itself, on to the beer:

Golden colored like any other kolsch and topped with a thick head that's two finger's thick. Good lacing sticks around the glass as the beer is consumed. The aoma is somewhat fruity, adn there's a note of vague pale malt. The maltiness picks up in the beer's taste, where there's a slight grain, a kiss of honeydew and "plain" cereal notes. It's light bodied with carbonation that is somewaht gentle.

Pleasant kolsch from Sion. Good for cooling down during warmer weather.

3.04/5  rDev -14.6%

My 330cl brown bottle claims 4.8% ABV, maybe they've lowered the alcohol content?

Obtained from 'Beers of Europe' and poured into a Kolsch type straight sided glass (from the now closed Privatebrauerei A.Kropf of Kassel).

I've been to Koln many times: almost all before joining BA. Great city with some lovely brewpubs, it's their beer I can't get to grips with. I have always struggled to really enjoy their beers, sadly this bottle is no exception. Only reviewed three from this style before this, but I just don't get Kolsch.

Looks fine in the glass, clean, sparkling and a pale gold in colour, on top a thin yet full white head of bubbly foam.

Cereal smell if pressed to find anything, really it's odourless to the normal human nose.

This Kolsch is a little sweeter than most I've had (years ago I had it fresh in the brewery tap). It still however does nothing for me, it's wet and vaguely alcoholic, it has no flavours or taste other than a slight cereal and hop feel to it. I know it is supposed to be delicate and light in texture, well it certainly is.

I'm trying to find something good to say about it, honest.

OK, it isn't offensive in any way, it's crisp, refreshing and would be fine on a warm summers day with a mega hot curry.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%

Had a bottle of this at Cologne (Köln) Central Station as my first Kolsch in Cologne and enjoyed it very much. It was served with a small head and no lace. Color was a clear yellow. Very aromatic, lemony, grainy, and fresh. Flavor was similar, balanced and had a slight bitter finish. Good body and carbonation. Easy session beer.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

I had a bottle of this on a train from Cologne to Munich (brought from Cologne, not served on the train). This was the day after a night of trying as many Kolsches as possible in Cologne. So this is the last one reviewed from my compressed Kolsch experience.

Sion seemed to be everywhere in Cologne, and in fact was stocked in my hotel's mini-bar too. The beer is pretty middle-of-the-road amongst Kolsches, at least in my estimation. It was muted in aroma and flavor, tasting more malty than anything else but really neutral. No fruity esters or musty funk, either of which would give me something to look forward to in a return tasting. A solid Kolsch but nothing to search out again.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.63/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from realale in Twickenham. Pretty nice beer, tastes fairly average with crisp, light malts lifting up hops which provide some spice and a bit of fruit. But what really lifts the beer into being good is the perfect, velvety carbonation that just makes it really drinkable without just seeming flat like many cask lagers seem to do.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Sion Koelsch tasted from 0.5 l botle best before 12-07-05. Nice poorout but no great head and darkgolden beercolor. Nose is malty but also fruity for a Koelsch, sweet but fresh overal arome. Taste is full malty with litle caramel, fruity and a proper bitterness thats litle hanging. Mouthfeel is smooth and delicate but could be just a litle more. Drinkability is ok but I love to have just that litle extra that this one just doesn't have in my opinion.

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Pours a clear golden color with a soon vanishing, fluffy white head.

Is almost entirely neutral on the nose, with just a faint toffee and wheat sweetness.

This is refreshing, but only in terms of drinking a light beer. Too weak to get paired to hearthy german food, too boring to drink on its own. Water and a nice effervescence do not make up for the lack of actual flavors in this.

Tastes of sweet straw, toffee and water. Gets a little push from a mineralic spritziness, while finishing again watery, with a note of lingering sweet malts.

Nope. Thats just not enough.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've got one in a see through bottle that made me suspicious, and 4,8 ABV. Clear golden colour, head fades away soon but leaves a good lace. Fresh hoppy semll, grainy, citrus and herbs. Medium to light body, feels really good in the tongue. Clean taste is similar to the smell, refreshing, hops, flowers. Very good indeed.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

My first taste of Sion (zee-own in English pronounciation) was in bottle-form, from the Cologne hotel room "courtesy bar" (which courteously charged me E$4.50). I was a bit taken a-back, the taste was much more hops/pilsner than I'd expected. I went out into the old-town and tried some at a few taps, and found the bottled form rather consistent with the tap (although you just can't beat a tap with a bottle).

This kolsch reminded me a lot of the good old now-gone Pittsburgh German beers. It has that nice hopsy-bite and odor, a good zing, not overly carbonated, a modest but tasty head which collapses fairly quickly, a short-lived hop aftertaste but not bitter, and a nice non-offensive belch following.

I've tried on several occasions to detect the slight undertones of the taste. I can only say possibly something like yellow buttered-corn or something, very complementary and somewhat distinctive as far as kolsch undertones go. Plus, a modest malt-taste in the head, the beer and also in the pleasant aftertaste.

I stumbled upon the Sion Brauhaus shortly thereafter! The tap beer at the Brauhaus was consistent with the others around-town. I returned later with my wife and my daughter. We enjoyed a sumptuous dinner, with great service (2 servers keeping an eye on us, for instance), no problems getting seating during dinner-hour. There are plenty of tables and they're not crowded together. The Sion Kolsch went fairly well with the meal, but was better afterwards, since the hop/pilsner taste did compete with some of the food tastes. All of our dinner items were top-notch. The Sion even mixed well with the outstanding cups of espresso coffee which followed my meal.

My daughter opted for local Reisling rather than the kolsch. My wife tried the kolsch but was not overjoyed-- definitely not a "ladies' beer."

On several other occasions in Cologne, we were waiting for a table at other brauhauses. People would walk in, see the long waiting-line, look at each other and say simply, "Sion," and off they went to the Sion Brauhaus.

Overall, I suppose I was more impressed with the Sion Kolsch than the reviewers before me. It seems to be, from my experience, a less-typical kolsch beer, but it sure moved to the top of my list in its own unique category, and one kolsch that I will seek out and be excited to see its name hanging over any doorway.

Kölsch from Brauhaus Sion