Kölsch | Brauerei Päffgen

paeffgen-koelsch.de

Style: Kölsch

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 11-03-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Hands-down this is my most favorite beer in the world. Every time I'm in Germany I make it a point to make my way to Koln and stop off at Paffen Obergarige and have quite of few of these and a Habben Hen.

This is a perfect Kolsch. Perfect balance of malt and hops and conditioning. This is the blue print for all Kolsch.

4.95/5  rDev +29.6%

To read a brief explanation behind the confusion of 'Päffgen' and 'Pfaffen' Kölsch and establishments check out my review for Pfaffen Kölsch.

This is the ultimate Kölsch. Cologne, as the center and birth place of Kölsch, takes its Kölsch beer very serious. When one mentions the name Päffgen Kölsch to a Kölner they will surely say that Päffgen is by far and wide the best Kölsch there is.

Color is a copper hued bright gold with a fluffy vanilla white head served up on top. Aroma and flavor has an extremely strong hop profile for a Kölsch beer and does much to liven up the style which has been sort of blanded out by offerings from Gaffel and the likes. Malts are sweet but take a behind the screen stance to the hops. Floral notes fill the nose. I have heard that Päffgen also dry hops, which would explain the extra presence of hops in the aroma. Mouthfeel is solid--very fluid and smooth with a dry finish.

Also, this is one of the two Kölsch beers that are served from a wood cask through gravity. Search it out and find it.

4.93/5  rDev +29.1%

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%

Had on tap at Pafgen in Koln in .2 L glasses. WHile I was there there i saw multile casks put on. A difference was noticed between cask 1 and 2. Reviewed 7/4/2009.

Ar: Cask 1: Crisp and light cracker, noble hop character, spicy, biscuit, rich light malt, sweet hints, Cask 2: herbal

Ap: Cask 1: clear gold, very smooth creamy white head, fine, great retention, thick lace

F: Cask 1: noble spice, smooth, light, good crisp bitter end, strong hop presence but smooth, Cask 2: sweet malt, hints of honey, crisp clean end, hints of mintiness, slightly balanced to hops, dry, light cracker/pale malt, light tartness

M: Cask 1: refreshing, light and drinkable, low carbonaiton, smooth clean bitterness, Cask 2: creamy

F: Complex, much more hoppy than other german beers, clean and refreshing, excellent, difference cask to cask (a cask lasted about 45 minutes) Cask 1 was drier than Cask 2

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

0.2l gravity serving at the brewpub En D'r Salzgass

A- Darker gold than most kolsch, creamy 2 finger head with a creamy sustained retention

S- Vanilla, mild malts.

T- Faint malts with a lovely creamy finish.

M- Very creamy, low carbonation.

D- Excellent, with a lovely malty flavour with the creamy balance makes this a quaffing kolsch.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Large and lasting forever velvety head, nice and creamy. The smell was a bit different from other Kolschs, reminding me first of a farm atmosphere. Fresh, juicy with straw and maybe light hints of ginger. Taste was malty with a dry caramel aspect. Drily grainy. It seems somehow higher in abv. Slightly sweet. Mouthfeel presented a deep and unusual lasting hoppiness. This one may have more character, it is more distinctive, but not my personal favorite. Slightly grassy but quite drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

As noted below, this kolsch is a favorite among local Cologne-residents. We were taken to dinner by a group of them (a business dinner with an affluent client, I might add), and this is where they chose to take us. It was their location in Alte-Koln (the old part of town next to the river), not the hofbrauhaus. The decor of the brauhaus is quite entertaining-- lots of statues and bronze figures hanging about, a tribute painted on the wall to "the god of beer" and other interesting things to view, while waiting for your first kolsch. Don't worry, it's brought within moments.

We were fortunate enough to be there the evening before the traditional 11/11 Cologne Beer Festival, and the server proudly announced that at Päffgen Obergärige Hausbrauerei, they start the night before! So, we were entertained by the ritual procession through the bierhall, complete with a "modern" German band playing traditional German drinking-songs and US-rock songs on keyboards and guitars. Everyone seemed to be participating, and the house was full.

The food was outstanding, I must say! It was a bit on the pricey side, I'm glad I wasn't paying... I had a kebob triple-combination, and we talked so much that I was holding everyone up at the end, having done more than barely sampling my dinner meats. I drooled.... but I gave in, and asked the server if I could take it along. He spoke little English but replied, "doggy-bag?" and nodded. He returned several times, the main host at our table paid the bill and we were out the door before I realized that he'd never brought the leftovers as promised! Grrrr....

A few nights later, we went to the Paffgen HofbrauHaus, which is a good walk west of the main part of Cologne. Not even quite realizing that the two locations were even connected by the same beer, we remarked that the kolsch was similar to "the place we ate the other night, with the clients." The HofbrauHaus is loads of fun, as well-- a bit earthy and moderately rowdy, the clientelle more mainstream than upper-class, and the food again was great. It wasn't until later, when trying to sort out all of the kolsch's we'd tried, and where we had eaten, that our confusion (added to by the similar-named Pfaffen which is owned by a brother) came to light!

Oh-- the BEER?!?!? Yes... Overall, a good experience at both locations. It's not on the top of my list (see Sünner Kölsch). The taste was a bit dry but nice, and went well with the German meal, quickly clearing any fatty-food feeling from my mouth. The head seemed nice but it also dissipated faster than several other kölsch in the area. I probably had 4 glasses (hint- put the coaster over top of the glass or they'll just keep bringing a new one without asking) the first visit, and our hosts also had various wines flowing from bottles throughout the meal, with no conflict with the kölsch, in my experience . I did have a bit of a headache at the base of my skull that night, soon after dinner, however, but I'm not sure whether to blame the kölsch or the wine. The second visit, to the HofbrauHaus, ended with 7 marks on my coaster, plus finishing my wife's (which was our 8th coaster-mark). Obviously, it was very drinkable kolsch, in my experiences!

This is one kölsch that I want to try again, just to see if I've missed anything by not paying close enough attention. At present, however, my response was similar to my beer-sampling but not beer-advocate wife's-- "it's just beer."

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Gravity from oak barrels @ Päffgen, Köln.
Intense golden apperance, very bright and clean. White foam, two fingers.
Fresh smell, with hints of green hop. Dry, pleasant and fresh.
Light in taste, with light malt, and a good hop and bitterness.
Dry, fresh, pleasant.
A great drinkability.
It left the mouth very clean, with some hop in the background.
It says: let's drink another one!

3.94/5  rDev +3.1%

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

at the brewpub in koln. Served in a typical 0.2 ml glass. Clear straw yellow color with a thick fluffy white head which was quite stable. Smell is like most kolsch beers, only this one seemed to have some more flowery hops in it. Taste is light bitter. Not too special. Mouthfeel is thin but this beer is extremely easy to drink. Pairs best with traditional german food

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

This was my second favourite Kolsch in Koln, drunk at the brewery. It has a nice head, served in a nice little 0.2cl Paffgen Kolsch glass.

It is particularly hoppy, more overwhelmingly so as some of the others around town. Its major flavour is spice with a touch of fruitiness. This light fruitiness is almost drowned by hops, as is the intention I think. Its starts to get really good after 2-3 glasses and the taste is anchored in your mouth!

I can tell its a good Kolsch and I enjoyed it, but I am still not fully convinced by the style.

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Golden color and crystal clear. Typical two-finger head which leaves some streaks of lace.

Plae malt start to the nose. A bit of refrigeration as well. Some latent milky lactose notes.

Round taste of pale malt with very little hop, even in the finish but more in the aftertaste. Leans full with an average carbonation level. Easy drinking and refreshing.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Appearance is golden color with medium head

S: Aroma is heavy with bread and sweet malts with some floral hops hints

T: Sweet malts with bread and grain notes, decent grassy and floral hop flavor with corresponding bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation

O: Best Kolsch out there.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast