KLB Raspberry Wheat Beer | Amsterdam Brewing Company

Amsterdam Brewing Company
Ontario, Canada
amsterdambeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

The perfect balance of German Perle hops, wheat malt, and raspberry infusion gives KLB Raspberry Wheat its signature aroma and unforgettable flavour. Light amber in colour with a frothy white head, this smooth, full-bodied beer is distinguishable by a fresh raspberry bouquet that's slightly tart to the taste and sure to please on any occasion.

Added by ThatWineGuy on 09-06-2007

Reviews by Stonepot:
3.9/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought this was great. Strong smell and taste of raspberries, with a creamy head and a nice long fruity finish. I got a bit tired of it towards the end, and would not have two on the bounce, but one was a great way to start an afternoon drinking session.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.78/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -6.2%

I used to drink this beer a long time ago when it was brewed by KLB, and enjoyed it a great deal - it tastes a lot different to me now, but I think it more has to do with my changing tastes than anything.

Poured into a nonic. A pale, pale amber brew, clear, and with an inch of head that beats a hasty retreat. No head, no lacing...nothin'. Looks more like a cider, or a rose wine than a beer.

Nose is raspberry jam, lemon, mild maltage.

Tart, with a mild malty-lemon flavor, and then the raspberry kicks in, which isn't bad, but certainly lacks the fine character of fresh raspberries that you can find in other variations of this sort of brew. A touch of mild caramel and wheat as well, but only faint. Finishes dry and with a sharp, unpleasant metallic tang. Drinkable, but not nearly as fun as I remember it.

Watery, carbonation is abrasive. Leaves a dry feeling on the tongue.

I'll still drink this, but I won't seek it out the way I used to. Still, on a hot summers day, this would go great right out of the can (last summer, it certainly did), so I'll probably save my next one till then.

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

I would have expected this to be much paler in colour than the copper-orange I see before. The fingers worth of off-white head beats a hasty retreat, and leaves no lace behind. It's like it was never there to begin with. The aroma is mostly of raspberry. Somehow, the raspberry scent manages to be faint while also having a syrupy, concentrated character at the same time. It tastes of raspberry, and a little bit buttery. The raspberry flavour leaves a medicinal aftertaste in my mouth, though not quite as bad as the ST Raspberry Wheat. There's a hint of cheap caramel as well. Light-bodied with medium-low carbonation. I think a little more spritz would lift this one up a bit. Light as it may be, it's actually a bit of chore.

2.81/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Purchased at the LCBO for just around that $2.50 mark for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny head that is gone in seconds. Rather Dark gold. Almost has a redness to it. Filtered clear

S- Oodles of raspberry. This thing just oozes raspberries.

T- Raspberries but in a controlled way. Yes it overpowers the beer but that is what they designed in the taste. Very refreshing

M- Crisp and tart. Nice and dry. No sliminess at all like other raspberry beer's I've had.

O- Rather refreshing raspberry beer. Very interesting and has a lot of pop. Will buy again

Food Pairing

This pretty good little beer went well with...... Lamb burgers. Nice little bit of cranberry sauce to get that sourness going then some lettuce, pickle and onion.

Enjoy

2.73/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to drewsy for the trade!

A- Pours a very clear coppery color, with a tinge of sunrise orange, and there appears to be plenty of carbonation rising to the top rather quickly. The head isn't very impressive however upon pouring, as it is only a whiff of thin foam covering the liquid. Lacing is alright, as thin clumps of bubbly goodness clings to the side of the glass. Overall I'd put this slightly above average appearance wise.

S- This has a general dryness about it, and I don't mind it in this case! There is a fresh raspberry fruitiness that smells about right as far as how powerful it is, some grainy wheat berries and perhaps a slight bitterness right at the end. Mild overall, but nice...

T- I quite like this! The flavors follow the aroma closely; everything is mild but balanced well between sweet and tart. The beginning contains the tart berry fruit, while the middle softens to the dry wheat malt and the finish doesn't have any real bitterness, but rather a yeasty quality that reminds me of fresh white bread.

M- Thin bodied and plenty of palate scrubbing carbonation! I get a good sense of the summer in this beer...it is very refreshing, crisp and clean tasting.

O- I think this is a very drinkable beer that would be perfectly suited for sitting on the patio during hot weather and passing the afternoon away. Foodwise, this would pair very well with a freshly prepared spinach salad, and is balanced well enough to hang with a fruit bowl for dessert. I recommend this beer and would love to see it in my neck of the woods!

3.91/5  rDev +21.4%

Pleasantly surprised by the great taste. Not a fan of fruity beer but this was done right. The raspberry is not overwhelming . Color is very nice and there is no aftertaste. This is a beer worth serious consideration. Lacks body but the aroma and taste make up for the lack of body. I'll bee looking for more of this next trip to Canada.

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Can to pint glass.

A - Pale straw yellow with a small amount of bubbly white head that immediately disappeared.

S - Syrupy raspberry aroma up front with a mild of bready malt aroma in the background.

T - A huge artificial raspberry flavour up front that is very sweet and syrupy dominates and almost completely overpowers a very mild bready malt presence.

M - Light body; light to moderate carbonation.

O - One dimensional, which wouldn't have been quite so bad if the raspberry flavour was so syrupy and artificial.

4.27/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.12/5  rDev -3.1%

3.39/5  rDev +5.3%

473 mL can, chilled and poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours a clear pale amber colour with a massive three fingers of soapy white head that very quickly dissipates to a little bubbly top with a very thin ring that leaves very minimal to almost no head throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- Really nice raspberry smells coming from this one, I didn’t get a whole lot of the raspberry while I was pouring it but once you put your nose up to the glass it is definitely there; some very mild wheat aromas coming through as well although the raspberry is very dominant.

Taste- Pretty much just like the aromas, well in a way. I am getting a weird taste right off the bat that I really can’t put my finger on, then the raspberry taste really comes through a dominates finishing with a sweet raspberry taste as well. I do get a mild hint of wheat but other than the raspberries there is not too much else going on in this one.

Mouthfeel- Very light bodied with below average carbonation, actually it is almost none existent as the beer warms up a bit, kind of saddening really.

Overall- Hey, if fruity beers are your thing, and you’re in the mood for a raspberry tasting beer this one is pretty much exactly what it says it is, a raspberry beer! I rather liked the raspberry taste from this one, it tasted like real fruit and not some engineered candy taste like other fruit beers can have. Would be a good summer sipper if cold as ice on a hot summer day, which is why I even bought a fruit beer in the first place. Not sure if I would come back to this one again but it wasn’t a fail that’s for sure, depends what fruit I feel like I want to drink if I ever want to drink one again.

2.56/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

473ml Can

Appearance – Clear amber colour with an very small size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is no lacing. The head lasted for around 1 minute before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, malts, raspberries

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains mixed with malts and of course raspberries. There is also a little bit of a caramel flavour going on. It finishes with a malty raspberry aftertaste.

Overall – I'm really not a huge fan of fruit beers, so there wasn't much chance that was going to enjoy this. I will say that the taste did grow on me as progressed through the beer. I'll also add that the beer had one of the worst appearances I've ever seen.. there was basically no head or lacing.

2.89/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.8/5  rDev +18%

Pours a really nice honey brown with about a two and a half finger fluffy white head that gradually reduces to a ring. Rasberry is the prominent smell with a mild malty wheat-like backbone. Very inviting. Taste is almost identical to the smell with a faint hop finish. Mouthfeel is very smooth and this beer is definately quaffable. I was worried upon drinking this beer that the rasberry was going to be too concentrated, but I think KLB has balanced this one out really nicely. The only thing that stopped me from giving this brew a solid 4 was the finish, which was fairly astringent and didnt do much to compliment the taste. But, overall, a great brew; one that I would love to try on tap.

KLB Raspberry Wheat Beer from Amsterdam Brewing Company