Amsterdam Spring Bock | Amsterdam Brewing Company

Added by Derek on 03-11-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 116
3.22/5  rDev -12.3%

A bottle from the brewery.

A - Ruby red. Thin head. Little retention. Still a really nice color.

S - Fruit - like with carmel and peppercorns. A slight barnyard sent filled with fruit baskets. In other words complex, and very appealing to the nose.

T - Rye bread and dry nuts. A little scotch flavor in there too. Bitter with a nice smooth sweet follow up. Carmel hints while the alcohol opens the palate and warms the body all the way down.

M - Seemed to be on the heavy carbonation side, yet a nice dry finish. Rich mouthful that was surprisingly smooth.

D - Very drinkable. The alcohol isn't as present as it should be. It would take me out pretty quick if I drank a few of theses. The alcohol is sneaky!

Props for this one. I like!

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Twist-off bottle, courtesy of Derek Hyde, who innovated the recipe. Love to have had this unfiltered, on cask. Poured dark brown with crowning head and lace. Unfortunately overcarbonated, but drinkable and balanced with chocolate malt. A little bitterness, above average for this brewery.

4.06/5  rDev +10.6%

Picked up a six of this from the brewery on Friday.

A: A beautiful deep ruby brown. Thin head. Not much lacing.

S: Dried fruits, bready...not very strong but nice. Sweet(ish).

T: Toasted raisin. Bready. Bitter caramel. Slightly chocolate. Bittersweet. So good!

M: Dry and some amount carbonation, but rich.

D: It's kind of subtle and the kind of thing where you just take a sip, love it, and want to drink more and more.

Hands down the best beer from Amsterdam that I have ever had. I'm actually not a fan of doppelbocks or anything else from this brewery but I could drink a LOT of this.

12 oz bottle, thanks to Derek for hooking Amsterdam up with the recipe! Why aren't more breweries doing this?

Pours a crystal clear dark ruby red, light brown/chestnut highlighting, thin light tan head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, drops some lace spots, looks good. Smell is nice, sweet at first, caramel and brown sugar, raisins, cherries and dark fruit, nice biscuity malt, earthy and rich, light booze, but very clean in the aroma. Taste is similar, quite sweet, lots of caramel, sugary, biscuits, dark fruit, alcohol, strawberries, melons, lightly bitter and toasty in the finish but very clean. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very drinkable doppelbock, not too sweet which I like. Nicely done, thanks Derek!

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Congratulations to fellow BA, and all round nice guy, Derek on inspiring a local brewer to make one of his homebrew recipes. That's so cool its off the charts. Anyone interested in trying the beer can obtain it from the brewery, but should try and do so soon, as only 60 cases were made. There will also be a few available in kegs at a few bars, so it may show up at places like Volo and C'est What.

So I picked up a sixer, and after drinking it I'm planning on getting some more on Saturday. I had to admit I was a little nervous in trying this beer... I know Derek and I was hoping that the beer didn't suck because I'm the world's worst liar. Luckily, this is the best beer I've had out of Amsterdam by a long way, and its also one of the best doppelbocks I've had. In fact, once the scoring is done it may actually rank as my favourite... its just so damn drinkable, and the only thing that prevented me from popping the cap on another one is that the high ABV usually precludes doppelbocks from sessioning.

I've never truly looked at an Amsterdam bottle before, but now I do its got a very clean design. Nice label, even if its for another beer (this one is a small one off batch, so it doesn't have its own unique label). Behind the glass I see a very dark brown body with ruby highlights at the edges. In fact, this is a beautiful beer when held up to the light, and it looks great in the clear glass bottle. The only problem is that once poured the retention of its tan head isn't as good as it could be, though it did leave some lace before departing. The aroma is subdued, but nice. Bready, with spice and caramel. While I would like to see it stronger, it does have good depth.

Brown whole grain bread, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruits and light coffee grounds shine through in the flavour. Its less sweet and more bitter and dryer than most doppelbocks I've had, but that's more to my liking, so I'm really digging this. The alcohol is extremely well hidden, but after a while a warming feeling makes you realise that the beer you're knocking back is stronger than taste suggests. The great concealment of the alcohol is a huge plus for me in this style... the Eggenberg Urbock 23 I had the previous night really didn't do it well, but this beer almost fools you into sessioning.

Nice mouthfeel seems a lot fuller than it is, and makes for a satisfying experience. The carbonation really bulks it up in the mouth, and lets you know that this is liquid bread.

Good recipe, Derek! How about you get that Belgian stout out there? Also huge props to the guys at Amsterdam for brewing this so well... there's defnitely a lot of talent there, and I'll be interested to try future offerings.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last