Niederrhein Alt | Bolten Brauerei

Style: Altbier

Added by wl0307 on 07-18-2008

Reviews by wl0307:
3.88/5  rDev -3%

Purchased from the Beers of Europe. Coming in a 500ml typical German brown glass bottle, BB: 07/08/08, served lightly chilled in Gaffel's Kölsch Stange

A: coming in a light copper or light chestnut brown hue, topped with a super thick and frothy dark beige foam with brilliant retention, as fed by lively but fine carbonation
S: compared with Hannen Alt that I tasted yesterday, the nose has an apparently more pronounced sour-edge (as of berries, caramelised apples, and yeasts) as well as a "Chinese red-bean paste" like estery note to add to the clean, lightly sweet caramel- or brown-malts in the background. The refreshingly sour edge seems to lift up the whole aroma a bit, slightly like a well-lagered Dunkel.
T: moderately sour-bitter fruitiness and yeastiness come with more sour edge, but quickly leading towards a mellow toasted malty body backed by a tremendous depth of hop bitterness... quite chewy, earthy and tea-ish bitter as well as bitter-nutty in the end. Quite like a dark amber Best Bitter taken out of the sweet and hoppy edge.
M&D: showing slightly more body than Tannen Alt that I tasted yesterday, plus the soft carbonation and lengthy bitterness, my palate seems to agree with this bitter Alt w/o reservation! The overall balance gears towards more bitterness and lagering tartness than the malts, and thus a decent bitter beer that I personally am very fond of.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle, best before 23 feb 2012, poured three times into one of my Hannen Alt glasses during Oct 2011.

My rear label doesn't mention Bolten Braurei, but I'll review it here anyway.

I like to think I know this style well, but I'm no expert, that's for sure. This Alt looks the part, bright, clear and the typical clean chestnut brown/red most seem to be. This bottle had a full, deep head for me on each pour, so plenty of condition/carbonisation.

The aromas lifting out of the straight sided Alt tumbler were of rich caramalised malty molasses with a non-sweet toffee undertone. Certainly not a sickly malt smell, but sweet without a doubt.

The taste was a full on malt flavour, with a barely hidden bitterness along side: tangy, sharp and crisp in the mouth. Easy to drink, too easy, my bottle just seemed to evaporate before my eyes, surely I didn't drink it that fast?

The third glass was taken with some German cold cut meats, great accompliment to a lovely beer. I really love this style of beer (as well as Germany in general) and must return to Dusseldorf before too long.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

50cl bottle served into my Frankehheim 0.3cl alt glass

A- Dark golden copper when held to the light, 3 finger tan head, that had good retention with moderate lacing.

S- Caramel malts, brown bread, roasted nuts

T- A nice subtle bitter roasted malt with some toffeeish sweetness, hop bitterness in the finish is well balanced to the malt

M- high carbonation and full body

D- A very nice alt, with a nice balance although i prefer my alts slightly sweeter and lighter, this feels too highly carbonated and doesnt sit well in the stomach. Nevertheless a fine example of the style

Niederrhein Alt from Bolten Brauerei