Döllnitzer Ritterguts Gose | Brauhaus Hartmannsdorf GmbH

Added by Todd on 07-12-2003

3.99/5  rDev +1%

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Classic optics - nice carbonation, soft cap, golden straw. One of the traditional Goses - mild lactic tartness, coriander and salt. A teeny bit more spice than I personally prefer, and body seemed weirdly heavy as well, but all around good

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A- murky with a yellow almost copper green aspect. Not much head.
S- lemon grass, citrus good old fashion musky sour kind of quality to it.
T- lemon tangy a little spice almost a bit of apple cider vinegar taste. A lot going on.
M- wish it had a bit more carbonation on the low side. When you first sip it it's almost smooth and flat in the carbonation comes on your tongue. The mouth feel is what I feel like let me down.
I- Not a bad beer at all, the flavor to me is where it shines. Easy drinking, though it's not the best beer in the style that I've had.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle poured into tulip 11/4/17

A murky and milky stuff with a finger of foam that manages to leave a few partial rings

S lemon, wheat, apple, coriander, honey, yogurt, smells like a waffle topping

T sweet, salty, and sour, with some spice, what's not going on here? cereals, citrus, and some apple cider vinegar, very different from the nose and even better, I wasn't expecting this....

M light bodied with pin prick bubbles, mildly sour, super refreshing, dry finish turns oily somehow, sour brine finish

O I just downed a half liter of this stuff in the 5 minutes it took me too type this, just saying......

I think this is my first classic version of the style and I'm loving it, I could just smash this stuff under a hot Sun, my futures fairly predictable......

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an almost clear medium gold producing barely 1.5 fingers of eggshell, short-lived, mineral water foamy head that leaves no lace. Aroma is clean, dry wheat & pilsner malts, bready, white wine vinous with hints of tart fruits, brine & very thin coriander. Taste opens with wheat, pilsner malt, lactic acid sourness & a pleasant hint of coriander, the malts diminish greatly at midsip, being overtaken by more intense coriander & tart fruit especially green apple & the addition of brine a yeast funk. Aftertaste is a short-lived wheat, coriander, briney lemon, lime & tart green apple. Easier to drink than most American versions I have tried due to less lactic acid sourness & salt. Mouthfeel is light bodied with moderate carbonation that rapidly dissipates as this crisp brew warms, mouth watering & dry with a slight prickle. A traditional & very drinkable representative of the style.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy golden color with white head and lively carbonation. Aroma has wheat, honey and lemon. Taste follows with a light lemon tartness but also an underlying honey like flavor. Body is on the lighter side and has a crisp carbonation. Really classic, well made gose.

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle that was a Father's Day gift from my daughter who knows what I like to drink. Medium-strong sour with a pleasant salty-sweet finish. Reminds me of eating Granny Smith apples or Macintosh apples with salt. A refreshing, light sour with low ABV that I will not hesitate to drink again.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L: Rotting orange, head that dissipates quickly
S: Rotting meat, wet rag, salty bread, not a pleasant smell
T: A tart citrus salty treat. Much different than the smell, strong lemon and coriander notes. Pleasant taste
F: Smooth, medium carbonation, feels nice
O: A funky beer that is worth the try as long as you get past the smell

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

So, I've wanted to try this beer since seeing it in an old Micheal Jackson book. It's an interesting style....cloudy, with a thin head and a tart nose. Sea air, fruit, and flowers. The taste is unique....salt is notable, but so is a bit of wheat twang, some lactic sourness, and underlying fruit and bread. Interesting and wonderful to explore.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This gose pours a slightly opaque pear color with a high amount of carbonation and a basically non-existent head. The smell is yeasty and vaguely champagne-like with some serious fruitiness. The flavor is quite fruity and tart with elements of grape, green apple, citrus, and a slight hint of salt as it warms. The finish is semi-dry and quite refreshing. I have actually never had a gose before this one, since I am not usually a huge fan of fruit beers, so I don’t really have anything to compare this with. It is really a lot more like a champagne or white wine than any other beer I’ve ever had, but at 4.7% it is certainly lighter on the alcohol. Supposedly it is a “salt beer”, but I don’t really get too much of a brine like quality from it. Maybe the fruitiness just overwhelms most of salt flavor for me. This beer is well rated, but I feel as though I don’t totally understand or fully appreciate the style. If I was really in the mood for a beer I wouldn’t immediately go for this since it entirely lacks any malt or hop character that are usually detectable to varying degrees in basically every other beer style I have had. I luckily enough picked a really hot summer day to drink this though and I think it is a really nice, refreshing drink to have at such a time.

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Listed in the "1001," this was my first gose and a very strange experience.
I have had others since and I will Have Dollnitzer's again and review it.

Döllnitzer Ritterguts Gose from Brauhaus Hartmannsdorf GmbH