# 100 | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: American Barleywine

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

Added by bark on 03-01-2005

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I have looked forward to getting this beer for sometime and now I know why,poured into an oversized wine glass a deep dark brown with a tight formed almond colored head that left broken lace as it settled as I worked my way down the glass.Whoo intense aromas big leather and hop resin along with quite an alcohol kick nearly boozy but oh so inviting a prune/raisin element is there as well.Flavors are complex to the hilt as well as being potent,deep molasses and licorice combined with deep hoppy resiny goodness as well as a unrestrained alcohol shot really makes this a monster,the flavors are awesome all that in your face deep malt and intense hop really makes it a sipper.English Barley Wine are you kidding me?This is American style no doubt with the deep intense hop profile makes it American style easily,just a great brew.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison for $7.99. Shared with the legendary battlekow.

Pour: very dark, even for a barleywine - deep mahogany, opaque under several fingers of sticky, soapy khaki foam.

Nose: dark fruits, roasted chocolate/coffee malts, and a hearty dose of alcohol with a crisp hops bristle.

Taste: brash bittering hops, caramel-coffee malts, vanilla-oak and an alcoholic bite somehow combine for a very clean overall impression on the palate. Bigfoot's mellow Norwegian cousin.

Mouthfeel: silky smooth, medium carbonation.

Drinkability/Overall: probably the cleanest, smoothest beer with this level of assertiveness I've experienced. The complexity and brashness of an American barleywine with the restraint and elegance that comes with a long European brewing tradition. A good way to end a long night of good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Nøgne Ø is in my opinion one of the best breweries in the nordic countries. And this is a really fine brew that is great to share with a friend.

Pours a deep brown colour with a nice beige foam, looks really nice actually. But there's a lot of yeast particles floating around.

The smell is really interesting, lots of citrus fruits and some chocolate. Some wonderful hops in the smell too!

Taste is pretty similar to the smell with a nice bitterness and lots of citrus fruits and notes of chocolate and oats. It's a quite sweet beer actually and the high ABV makes it great to sip on for an hour or two.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

A- pours a pretty dark copper brown when held to the light. huge head all around, tannish almost milk chocolate colored. sticky lacing is left all around. very different for such a high abv beer, but im encouraged and it looks great. also looks crystal clear through the light, which confuses me because it said on the bottle that wheath was involved. at first i thought it was wheat, but now it makes me wonder... anyway after all this pondering and reading the head is still a 1/2 cm thick.

S- very roasted porter'ish type scents. smooth very mellow, and rounded light hints of chocolate. so far its striking me as a baltic porter type (minus the sherry flavors from long aging)

T- very smooth wouldnt have guessed it to be 10 % abv. roasted character still tends to be the biggest flavor contributer. still striking me as a baltic porter type flavor wise. there actually is some really solid fruity type sweet flavors right in the middle which is probably a mixture of the strong malts, and the bit of aging before i got around to it. this might have been exactly what i was looking for today. pretty damn delicious very smooth, lingering roasted character with a light bitter finish.

M- smooth, pretty light carbonation after all that head, lingering bitterness and a solid full body.

D- awesome sipper, just like the bottle described. maybe miss filed, but who cares, shouldnt let the definitions dominate your perceptions and how you judge it.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

A surprising look as I poured this one into a snifter. A deep dark brown color, looked thick, add to that a solid creamy head. The smell was not very strong, some chocolate hints. The first sip verified the thickness of this beer, which was in contrast to my previous barley wine experiences. It still has a barely wine taste, just a chocolate/malty strength added to it. I like it, don't get me wrong. The thickness helped balance the strong carbonization, and made it go down easy. An excellent beer to have one evening, by itself.

4.27/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +6%

I had a 25 oz. bottle.

A- Kind of a muddy, silty color. Nothing spectacular. I tried to pour this correctly, but both pours resulted in a huge amount of head.

S - Smells a bit woody. I'm a scotch guy, so this a good thing for me. Also get yeast.

T - Very mellow and very smooth. Quite good. Second in barleywines I've had only to Dogfish's Olde School.

M - Very drinkable. Hides the 10% ABV very well.

O - This is a very good barley wine. I would drink it again in a heartbeat.

4.26/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Inflatablechair brought over this gem tonight... funny, I took this off my trading wants in the last couple weeks because I just never got any bites for it and it was not really high on my list of priorities... but tonight, Sammy decides to pull it from his cellar... karmic, prophetic and wonderful. Thanks buddy..

Into my Old Guardian goblet... 1/2" lite tan head.. okay retention atop a deep walnut brew that is pretty clear.

Nose shows big caramel with a surprising amount of citrus hops for a brew that is at least a year old... nice dark fruit presence makes me think figs and dark raisins.

Flavor is a rich mash-up of dark fruits, toffee, and hints of roasted malts... a little cocoa comes in with some brown sugar sweetness.. again some pronounced CCC hoppiness lets you know that the Norwegians were swimming for American shores... with warmth a little dark cherry essence mixes with the figs and other fruits.. but the hops are actually the big finisher.

Great body is a bigger medium... carbonation is nice but a tad big bubbled... honestly a bit too rich for more than a nice glass... glad I had a good friend to share this one with.

I really liked this one... it immediately reminds me of the older vintages of Old Boardhead...

Very cool Sam.. I truly appreciate this one.

4/4/4.5/4.5/4

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Some evenings only a Barleywine will do the trick. 22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, from notes 07/12/10.

A cream colored head crowns an extremely dark brown body. Lacing is wonderful and head retention is among the best I've ever seen in the style.

Because they used English Ale yeast I wondered at first why this wasn't classified as an English Barleywine but now that I pour it the aroma definitely confirms this has much more in common with it's stateside cousins than anything I've tried from the UK. Big pungent American hops are backed some toffee and caramel aromas and a faint flash of alcohol in the background. Really very nice.

Malt sweetness comes through a tad more on the flavor while the hop bitterness is relegated mostly to the aftertaste. I'm getting shades of yellow apples and pears, wasn't expecting that. Straight alcohol heat is much more subdued than many of similar strength.

I'm sure the fact I let this warm for quite a while before drinking it has something to do with it but this is just too drinkable, I'm really getting through this glass quickly.

Overall one of the happiest surprises I've come across lately and one of the better non-aged Barleywines in recent memory. More proof these Scandinavian brewers really know their trade.

# 100 from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S