Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

# 100 | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: American Barleywine

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

Added by bark on 03-01-2005

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours darker than expected. This pretty much looks like a porter - certainly darker than any barleywine I've ever seen. Wispy head that gathers around the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing.

Smells a bit hot and boozy (sort of a botanical, gin-like smell) and has that same citric hop character I've noticed in a few of these guys' beers. It's not a bad thing as such, but with Nogne Ø beers having only recently shown up in Australia, I've had quite a few of them in a short time and that particular characteristic is prevalent in most of them - burnt orange kind of thing. Not much else to talk about, smell-wise.

Same deal in the mouth. Sweetness, bready malt, alcohol burn, those same herbal, burnt-orange hops. Other fruits floating around in there too; date (without the sweetness), overripe pineapple. Dry leaves and alcohol in the finish. I had to sit there and sip it over and over to get all the flavours, because it's overwhelmingly alcohol, citric and herbal, in that order. Bitterness feels as if it comes equally from the alcohol as it does from the hops.

Medium mouthfeel with a rough grainy texture that the carbonation smooths over nicely. Despite how boozy it tastes, no overt burn from the alcohol at all, which would make it pretty drinkable, but... I just don't dig the flavours that much. I'm wondering if a bit of age would do it some good - I suspect so, and I have some more so I guess I'll find out. At this point though, not a patch on the likes of Mikkeller Big Worse (a little underrated on this site, IMO).

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%

Thanks to RobotGod for this one.
Poured a deep brown with large tan head and I mean HUGE. Biggest I have seen foir a bwine, almost so big that I had to let it settle for 5 minutes or so. Nose was nice chocolate malts, English malts and well hopped. Taste was rather light bodied for a bwine. While it was tasty it did lack the malt and hops profiles of the typical American Bwine.The ABV was more than the taste to me. Mouthfeel was good. Some age would do this well.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Very, very dark, nigh stout-ish. Quite attractive. Hydrocephalic. Smell is kinda faint, but there's (excuse me, "I detect") Fig Newtons and booze. Travis says it's got a very clean flavor, and he's right. It's a pretty dry barleywine flavor, sweet for a second, but with a very bitter lingering hop finish that I found unpleasant. The finish detracts from the drinkability for me, but I might just be worn out from the Mikkeller Jackie Brown I had earlier tonight; my tongue may be crying out for mercy. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

BB 2016

Pours a massive coarse swirling two-three finger head cream head, over a deep rich dark brown body. Lovely.

Deep dark aormas. Christmas cake, figs, rasins. Oh, and an earthy hop brooding presence.

Taste is an alcolholic assault, big beer, big earthy hops. Not quite enough malt backbone to carry. Dry overall. As it warms, more raisin/sherry flavours come out.

Mouthfeel OK, moderate carbonation, heavyweight body.

Overall, a bit too dry, takes away drinakbility. One of the slowest drinks I have had in a long time... says a lot!!!

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 16.9 oz. bottle into a Cigar City Brewing goblet.

A: Deep bronze, with a thin off-white head. Medium level of visible carbonation, and is quite hazy but stops just short of being opaque. Some yeasty sediment flecks sink to the bottom - I don't think I decanted this quite well enough.

S: Toasted bready malts, toffee sweetness, and coniferous hops. Lesser notes of citrus rind, caramel, and a slight oxidation/cardboard – which is disappointing. There's a mild dark fruitiness in the background. Okay aroma, nothing great.

T: Toffee and caramel, resinous sticky hops and caramelized orange rinds. Some brown sugar and a bit of molasses. Again, there's some cardboard oxidation especially in the hop oils. A mild raisiny sweetness - almost soaked in some ethanol (or maybe rum with the brown sugar flavors). It finishes with lingering sticky oily hop resins and brown sugary toasted malts.

M: Medium body with low carbonation sensation, which results in a slick mouthfeel. The alcohol is quite obvious for the listed ABV, but it's not crazy-hot.

O: This really wasn't my favorite, or even particularly good in my opinion. There's no date on the bottle that I can find, but I wonder how old this is (drank 8/11/16). It's nothing I’d drink again but it's not god-awful or anything.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Apearance: Red/brown with a little head.

Smell: The smell is a combination of hop aroma and alcohol sweetness.

Taste: The taste is a bit similar to the taste, but it is a bit sweeter and less hoppy. The aftertaste is quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: The beer has nice body that produces a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The beer is easy to drink, but could have a bit more taste to my liking.

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%

Nøgne is a Scandinavian brewery I've recently grown a taste for despite their higher prices. I scooped up a bottle of this as soon as I saw it. Very fitting beer for a cold snowy day as was the case today. Not sure why this comes up as retired as my regular liquor store just received these recently and the bottle looks new, but lacks any dating. Either way this beer should hold up to aging so I'm not concerned.

I poured this into an over-sized wine glass, which reveals a nearly opaque dark brown with a tan head. The head eventually settles into a three hundred and sixty degree collar. No lacing, but expected given the style and alcohol content.

Smells of subtle citrus hops that fades into a caramel sweet malt bouquet. It's not in your face, but a pleasant mix and match of hops, malts, with a kick of alcohol that comes off as pleasant.

First sip is much more in your face and unpleasant in my opinion. The gentle qualities are lost in an astringent harsh use of hops. The caramel and soft sweetness is gone. Comes off as an unpleasant bitter alcohol taste. As I make my way through the glass I find I either become accustomed to the the taste or the beast has changed. Hops have become more subdued, but still seem astringent and harsh. Now I'm picking up on a hint of cocoa and a small resurgence in the sweetness that was so pleasant in the nose. Finishes dry and hot with a warming alcohol effect.

Mouthfeel is difficult to handle at first and seemed harshly carbonated, but as I make my way through the glass and eventually the 500mL. bottle I find it to be creamy and on par. Drinkability is low even given the style due to the harsh present of alcohol and astringent hop taste. This came off as surprising given what I thought was well developed in the nose.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

This is just hitting some stores shelves, so I am wondering about the "retired" listing. Also, the bottle states that it is a Barley Wine, not a DIPA.

Pours a dark, nearly opaque, brown. There is about two inches of tan head that fades to a sheet, but leaves good lacing.

The aroma is strong on dark fruits and alcohol. There is a bitter coffee scent in the background, also. At first I thought it smelled like an English Barley Wine, but now it's leaning more towards a hoppy porter or stout. I think it's confused.

The taste of this one only lends to my "identity crisis" theory. Dark fruits,(almost burnt) bakers chocolate, dark roasted bitter coffee, a little pine and citrus hops, and a bunch of alcohol. Burning alcohol.

Solid, creamy mouthfeel. The fact that I am not sure (and neither is the beer) exactly what it is that I am drinking and this burning alcohol both knock the drinkability down. I had hoped for more. I think I might buy another bottle and lay it down for a while to see how it changes, as it is harsh right now.

3.49/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: mahogany brown, hazy, tan fine-beaded foam, OK head retention

Aroma: luscious caramelly malt, brown sugar, woodsy hops, rum, hint of grapefruit, sour undertone, cooked meat, acetone

Flavor: huge wallop of caramel maltiness with hints of prunes, molasses, and leather; then a strong enteric bitterness sweeps in to crush the sweetness, leaving a citrus rind aftertaste in the dryish finish

Mouthfeel: FULL body, a bit syrupy actually, astringent, warming

Other comments: Definitely a winter beer. Reminds me a bit of a barleywine I brewed about four years ago, a bit too full bodied. The sediment is really loose, though. Pour carefully.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

listed as a barleywine, I've seen it searched for a couple of times in the forums. Noticed this while wandering through Julios's in MA and thought why not I'll try it.
A - dark brown, borderline black. deep ruby glints when held up to the light. Dark creamy tan head that lasts through the entire glass.
S - dark fruits, citric hops, espresso and a good whiff of alcohol.
T - kind of a cross between an american barelywine and a robust porter. dark and malty, quite hoppy bitter and roasty.
M - full bodied, creamily carbonated, warming with a bitter lingering note.
D - an intriguing and unusual brew. One for an evening was plenty.

final notes - not quite one style or another with elements that are nice but not quite melding nicely in the playground. May round out with more age but for this review it's as experienced.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours basically black with a long lasting creamy head in a snifter. Smell is almost a subtle smoky malt and very little hops at all. Subtle smelling beer. Taste is nice and crisp hoppiness, with very smooth toasty to roasty dark malt flavor hidden in the back. Quite nice and ver drinkable. Some slight wet cardboardiness in the flavor detracted at the very end for me.

3.51/5  rDev -12.9%

24oz. bottle purchased for $8.99 at total wine in delaware. Caught my eye because I thought it would be interesting to try a scandinavian take on the american style. Love the simple flourescent orange O thingy on the bottle.

This beer pours so dark, an opaque coffee-brown with chocolate accents on the edges. The head is so light, almost off-white, definitly an interesting contrast. Lacing completely coats the walls of my wine glass as it sits between sits.

Smell is well rounded, very mellow, roasty dark malts and very mild citrus hop notes.

The taste is overwhelmingly malty, like a brown ale, but with a finish of tangy hops.

Alcohol is very present in the mouthfeel, which is def affecting drinkability. I could feel my ears turn red after the first few sips.

Not bad. Glad i tried it.

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Capone's the other day.,

The beer pours an amber brown color with good retention and lacing. Alas, this was to be as good as things get. The nose is fairly malty, but a bit light. However, there is some noticeable brown sugar and a hint of citrus, but otherwise I don't get a lot to the aroma profile. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and tastged side by side with Deaue, double crooked tree and blue dot, this is almost a joke. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but there just isn't enough flavor to be very impressive. Also, this beer has some noticeable heat and alcohol, which detracts from the beer's drinkability just a bit.

Nothing wrong with this beer, but can't say it's anything that would make me want to try this beer again either.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle from Barley Wine in Copenhagen, then consumed later in the hotel. Described as Triple IPA by the owner of Barley Wine and the bartender at Lord Nelson, it sure seemed much more like an American Strong Ale to me. Dark brown color (too dark for the style) with a expressive nose and a super bitter hoppy flavor. A good brew, but not great.

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%

I had this sitting my cellar for about six months and the last day of July seemed like a good occasion to open it. This beer had a deep dark brown body with a nice 1" tall light tan head. The smell seemed a little muted, a little chocolate, some alcohol, as it warmed up a little more biscuit smell came out but that was it. The taste started a little sweet and then a nice bitter woody hop bite, the malt was kind of like a rye beer, that may have been from the hops but I was tasting rye. It is a little on the light side for a barleywine, but still nice and thick with a good level of carbonation for a 10% ABV beer. The lightness and good carbonation made it very drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at capones

A- dark brown with red orange highlights. Nice finger thick cap of rather dense tan head.

S- sweet and roasty malts with lots of bold hops. Grapefruit and oranges.

T- lots of the grapefruit again with the orange playing a smaller role. Chocolate malts giving a more complex flavor profile then the average abw. Hints of candied fruit with warming and a bit of spice.

M- medium to full body with ample carb to carry the viscosity.

D- big stuff with a lot going on enjoyed my 13 oz but that was enough. Good stuff but not the best of the style.

# 100 from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S