# 100 | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: American Barleywine

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

Added by bark on 03-01-2005

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

22 to tulip. Served cool. No date.

A - Amber so dark it's opaque except around the edges, though red when light is shined through. Insane head, huge and doesn't want to dissipate enough to let me drink. There's still a half inch of it left in the bottom of the glass when the beer is gone. Chunky big lacing.

S - A mild nose of malt and faint yeast and maybe a hint of apple

T - Initially there is something at the nexus of mildly tart and mildly bitter, but which recedes. Sweet caramel. A light floral/clover character, especially on the exhale. Maybe that's some kind of hop character but I get no bitterness. The booze is just barely on the warm side. Otherwise this comes across really soft and pretty where I was expecting harshness.

M - Soft, thick and smooth

O - While I wouldn't call it complex, I would say it has gravitas and is satisfying. Reminds me a little of an English strong ale. I would be happy if you gave me one of these but I will probably not buy another as I look for the really interesting stuff out there.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked this up while on vacation in Oslo. Murky brown pour with hints of mahogany when held to the light. Nice creamy one finger head with super retention and crazy lacing. Huge complex nose that starts off all hops, but opens up with tons of sweet malts and citrus. The taste really stands out in the Barleywine category. I'm not typically a big fan, but this one has awesome balance. Very complex with hints of rye, tangerines, caramel, hop resin, pine, brown sugar, and dark fruit. It's big and bold, but not overdone like most Barleywines. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, but creamy at the same time. This is probably the best Barleywine I've ever had. Going to continue to check out this great brewery!

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

P: This decadently dark amber beast glistens with ruby highlights and exhibits a healthy creamy rootbeer head. Retention is outstanding and leaves behind a thick frothy wall of lacing.

S: The nose brings roasted sweet malts, cherries, figs, pecan pound cake, and burnt caramel. Along for the parade is woody hops, leather oils and a bountiful alcohol aroma.

T/M: Full steam ahead with robust malts both roasted and sweet caramel malts. Alcohol is hidden well and not as commanding as the nose. Timid woody hops are playing co captain of this vessel. Figs are also present with a lingering licorice ambience in the back of the throat. This thick oily bodied brew brings heed to a semi dry finish with bitter sweet dark chocolate and green apples.

O: Rough and not entirely well balanced but a great tasting beer all the same. For and American barley wine I find it lacking in the hops department and would have perfected more hop bang. Although the malts overpowered the hops I enjoyed this one and would definitely drink again. Warming and great for sipping.

2.04/5  rDev -49.4%

500 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter, which I thought would surely contain it. It didn't.

Appearance - Overflows instantly as I pour it. Huge khaki head that screams some sort of problem. Murky body with excellent lacing, I suppose.

Smell - Sour apples and hops. Nothing very barleywine-ish. It does take a couple of sniffs to confirm that it's infected. Hefty hop notes, even over the apples.

Taste - Tangy at first, then hoppy and even a touch of caramel. I must say it doesn't taste awful, but it isn't worth the liver damage.

Mouthfeel - Still pretty thick and mouth-coating. The bitterness is out of balance because of a lack of sugar and an unpleasant twang in the flavor, but it still isn't undrinkable.

Overall - A bad bottle, I'm sure, but it's the only one of these I've ever had, so this is how I'll review it. A drainpour, but it isn't the worst infected bottle I've sipped.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%