Sahti

From:
Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Norway
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
SahtiSahti
Notes: A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.
Reviews: 153 | Ratings: 186

I have been a big fan of the style ever since the first one I tried and this again was no exception. Served chilled and poured into my terrapin snifter, this one was consumed on 10/03/2009.

Very nice our here, rich honey colored amber and nice and cloudy with a light touch of white head sitting up on the top. Subtle lacing leans back against the side of the glass and really keeps the profile nice and alive looking. Aroma is sweet, lots of honey here with really nice touches of herbal and flavor notes dancing around in the background. Smooth, even flavor here with it being over 11% is actually quite shocking as none of it really was that noticeable at all. Lots of sweet honey flavors again all over the one and the profile were done quite well. A bit of a biggie, especially given the ABV, but again a very solid representation of the style.

Overall I thought this one was very nicely done. Rich and smooth with a really well done profile. I really enjoyed nearly every sip of it and think the juniper and berries added in the mix really rounded out the flavor quite nicely, I would have no issue at all with trying this one again.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy honey brown color with a dense khaki colored head that settled a chunky sparse cap. The aroma is herbal and floral; honey malt with lavendar, talc, banana, grass and hints of lemon. Quite unique. The taste starts off quite herbal; talcum powder, basil, rye, light juniper and transfers into a more floral/fruity flavor; banana, lavendar/wild flowers, apples and lemon. All of this is wrapped up with a raw honey sweetness. The feel is quite thick but is heavily carbonated so it drinks fine; sweet overall, a touch sticky. A very unique brew. I appreciate the herbal/floral characteristics, quite flavorful. The brew is a tad thick and sticky. Not sure but I figure the herbal/floral character, while tasty, could become cloying, though I think 12ozs are safe. ABV is well hidden.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

I've had DFH Sah'tea - while good, I did want to get a more traditional take on the style. Not that I think this is it, mind you, but I still expect this to be good.

Poured into my Leffe goblet, it pours an attractive clear gold. Good head, easily roused. In a drinking vessel like this, it could easily be mistaken for a Belgian pale.

Wow - one hell of a nose on this beer. Huge honey, but not really like sniffing a jar of plain honey you get from the supermarket that comes in a plastic bear container. Hell no, this smells like the expensive raw unheated wildflower honey you get at Whole Foods. I don't get too much of a sense of the botanicals in here, so strong is the honey aroma.

Like most beers that have been brewed with a crapload of honey, Sahti is extremely crisp and mostly dry, with all those fermentable sugars gobbled up. I get very much of the essence of honey, with very little if any of the associated sweetness. This allows for the botanicals to come through on the palate. Strong taste of juniper berries and also a fair bit of bitterness perceived from the Artemis maritima herb, which I am guessing is some relative of Artemisia absinthium (wormwood). Indeed, the taste is dominated by juniper and wormwood - very gin-like beer for the most part, with some echo of absinthe. Spicy alcohol somewhat noticeable from time to time, which makes sense as this is 11%. This is a complicated, interesting beverage.

I like the crisp, lively mouthfeel. You wouldn't think this is some big thick 11% beer.

Well, I am a big fan of this, but if you don't like gin, or a strong essence of honey in your beer, I would definitely steer clear. This isn't a simple "brewed with spices" beer - no, no, the botanicals are not relegated to a supporting role here. Highly suggested for fans of honey, gin, or absinthe. I'd like to have this as a Sahti staple in my fridge.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

This is my first Sahti. All I can say is Hmmm. That is one interesting beer.

Looks kind of like a darker hefeweizen. Cloudy and dirty golden. The second half of the bottle was even darker. So far I like it.

Smell is....interesting. Some sweetness with a prominent herbal aroma. Nice yeasty and bready smell.

Tastes very sweet. Honey is very evident. Yeasty flavor is similar to Belgians. Very herbal with juniper evident. Similar to the smell but much stronger.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

Drinkability is limited by the honey sweetness and the herbal juniper-ness. Don't really notice the alcohol in the taste but do feel it a little. I have no idea how this compares to a traditional sahti. I am glad I have tried this but I will have to think about it before deciding I want another bottle. Complex, with unique flavor profile for sure

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

pours a cloudy copper orange with a 2 finger white head that left some lacing

smells very musty/funky (maybe brett yeast??) also big honey and apples

taste is good - very sweet too much honey for me - nice spice to it though - i wish more of the funk from the nose was present - good amount of apple flavor and alcohol

mouthfeel is a medium body beer with low carbonation a bit sticky though

drinkability is so so - too much honey for me and if i want some funk i would go drink an orval

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - One finger of white head on a slightly hazy, copper-orange body. The foam settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Sugary toasted and caramel malt with some red apple yeast notes; reminiscent of and english ale. Big, sweet orange-blossom honey notes and some undefinable herbal notes as well, presumably juniper.

T - Huge malt and (more especially) honey sweetness up front. Rich, floral, spicy unique honey flavors, just like those in the nose, but even more potent. Spicy rye/wheat malt in the middle with a hint of herbal european hops and a bit of juniper. The finish is quite sweet, though there is a definite hop and juniper presence there to keep the malt and honey from going over the edge into cloying sweetness. The honey lingers of the palate and blends with the malt and spice to create a darkening of flavors that leaves a bit of toffee and tobacco teasing the palate until the next sip.

M - Medium-thick body, moderately high carbonation, and a sweet but not unbalanced finish.

D - Wow, this is not at all what I expected; but wow. The juniper is quite subtle, enhancing and contrasting the dominant (and extraordinary) honey and malt flavors but never coming to the front. There is a great deal of complexity here and a richness that lends this beer to sipping and reminds me in a strange and very positive way of some of the better english old ales and barleywines. I have no idea if this would age well (and likely no opportunity to find out), but it does make me wonder.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Not very impressed by Nogne-O's regular offerings. Poured from a 16.7 oz bottle into a tapered belgian pint glass. The appearance is a hazy golden brown with a light white thin ring that rests on top.

The smell is indulged with honey and a lot of malt sweetness. There is a scent of juniper that proceeds with an artifical astringency. Very sweet scents that are procured through the uneaten 2-row malt sugars.

The taste reminds me of a malt tea, and I know this because during a batch of homebrew I tried some of the mash from a heavy 2 row malt backed beer. The honey tastes natural and is a nice touch to the beer. I'm assuming this is characteristic of the style. There really isn't much more to the taste, but the mouthfeel is heavy yet highly carbonated. An interesting beer to say the least, I am under the impression that this was a dying style. I'd like to try others offerings for comparative purposes.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Poured with a decent foamy head with average retention. Very cloudy golden amber.

Smells of rye, honey, fig, junipers. Has an earthy smell too...can't place it, like some pleasant smelling woodland twigs. And apologies for crudeness but there is also something there I can only describe as a touch of piss. Scarily, I did not find this offputting.

Very spicy. Some peppers, cloves, junipers and other assorted berries. A refreshing sourness. Down to the rye? A bit of very light honey sweetness, that mingled well with the sourness. Makes me think of Jagermeister not because it tastes similar but just because its full of herb and spice characteristics I can't place.

Warm and boozy, full. Like a thinner barleywine without the stickiness.

A sipping beer. I got through a full bottle with no difficulty, which I think is as best you can say for a beer of this nature. Won't be a regular but I'm glad I gave this a go.

Poured into Ommegang chalice

Batch 382

Pours a 1 finger slight off white head. Not very good retention and only leaves a very minimal level of splattered lace. Color is a slight hazed pale pumpkin hued gold.

Aroma: Very sweet aroma. Has a lot of honey and figs. Slight rye and I get a little bit of the juniper. A nice spiced beer.

Taste: Wow, this is a very sweet spiced beer. The rye is a lot more present here. The honey, figs, and juniper are all very present as well. A very interesting taste.

Mouthfeel: A little crisp from the decent amount of carbonation. Kind of creamy on the palate. Medium bodied. Ends with a big spiced dry aftertaste.

Overall, I have only had two sahtis in my life, this and DFH and I seem to enjoy DFHs version more. This one is just too spiced up for me. It isn't bad and definitely worth a try, but not something I would buy often.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Cloudy peach, with lots of fine particulates even with a careful pour. Carbonation is very active and supports a strong beige head that has excellent staying power. Leaves bits of lace.

S: Super floral, with an almost perfume like fragrance. A little like talcum powder to be honest. The juniper is very prevalent. It's joined by mild honey and a bit of dry tree bark.

T: The floral nose is offset by a very spicy, earthy and sour set of flavors. The sweetness is an interesting mix of raw barley and honey. Wheat and yeast mix for a sourdough bread flavor, while the rye adds a caraway bite. The twigs and wormwood add a healthy dose of earth and dry timber. Finishes with a funky lemon sourness and a lingering caraway bite. The alcohol adds a slight warmth, but is otherwise completely masked.

M: The medium body is soft, and doesn't feel as thick as the 11% ABV would make me think it would be. Carbonation feels just right.

D: This beer was certainly a whole new experience for me. I'd never had a Sahti, so I had no idea what I'd be getting outside of reading the style guidelines. Even with its high ABV, this beer goes down easily. A truly unique experience that I'm glad I didn't pass up.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

500 mL bottle, always up for trying another version of this rare and medieval style, great bottle design,

A: Pours a yeasty, hazy brown with a fizzy white head, very good retention, but not a lot to look at, very unfiltered.

S: Herbs, some green fruit, a lot of honey, a very interesting nose. Really a joy to smell, the high point of the beer for me.

T: Quite complex, rye bread spice, brown malt/sugar come out with some herbal juniper and honey in the mid-palate. Very boozy and phenolic in the finish, the alcohol takes over the beer in the end. I like the complexities this beer brings to the table, but in the end it just doesn't taste great, it tastes okay for me. The booze completely goes haywire.

M: Very boozy and hot as I said, it has a nice smoothness, but a thin finish. Quite full-bodied.

D: I think the problem with this beer for me, while well made and interesting, is that they tried to make a Sahti 11%. The flavours in the beer just can't stand up to that much alcohol, even with the mead-like characteristics of the honey. Nevertheless, I think it's worth a purchase since it is a very rare style and the complexities are intriguing, but at the end of the day I'm not going to go back to it especially at the $9 price-tag.

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%

Purchased at Belmont Station, 500ml bottle, Poured into KleinBrouwerij tulip glass.

Amber-Orange color, 2 thumb head, subsides quickly

Aroma of; honey sweetness, floral, jasmine, fruit sourness...reminds me of Nag Champa incense

Taste of honey sweetness, pepper, juniper, citrus, cloves.... many spices at work in this beer.

Medium thickness, syrupy, active carbonation.

The aroma refreshing, making each sip is such a delight, and 11% i would have never guessed.

4.24/5  rDev +9%

500 ml bottle brought to a very eclectic tasting at inflatablehair's house... Thanks for hosting Sam... Ditmier (I think put this into the mix).... If I'm wrong, somebody let me know right away.

A very muddy orange poured into my small La Trappe glass..

I was befuddled for a long time with this one.. Molly mentioned to Eric that she smelled honey, and things sorta came full circle for this one.

The nose has a ton of honey essence.. juniper ... I love lavender.. but I think I'm making it up.. sorta smells like a hospital... not bad.. just what I thought.

Out of the gate... this reminds me of an herbal tea with a bunch of honey.. a weird grassy medicinal quality that I'm having a problem with.. not a "real" problem... just a "how do I describe this" problem.. phenolic notes that could actually be the herbs in the brew....

Good body and sooo much more interesting than the DFH... Damn glad I got to try this one.. Thanks Eric, I could see how this bottle would be addictive.... I want to taste it again soon just so I can experience the weirdness of it .. but just too sweet for me overall.

Edit: Jesus... seriously... 11%... I never.... NEVER would have guessed.... I was thinking 7-8... wow.. I'm impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer pours a cloudy amber-orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes slowly leaving nice lacing. The aroma is very herbal (juniper and lavender) with a solid mead-like character. It is a very strong aroma, and has nice complexity. The taste is a nice balance of sweet malt, herbs, honey, and a considerable alcohol presence. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a velvety texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is the first Sahti I've tasted, and I really like it. I would really like to see some American Craft Breweries tackling this rare style.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

This beer pours a hazy pale amber colour with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger head that forms into a thin layer across the top of the glass and stays,it has a dominant aroma of honey laden flowers almost like u have just put ur nose to a daffodil flower the dominant floral aroma is definately the strongest i have smelt ever,and the taste is definately different with flavours of honey,flowers and spicy grainish yeasts def a new taste for me it has an average mouthfeel and suprisingly enough the ABV is well hidden for a beer of 11%,glad ive tried a true sahti just prefer my hop driven beers and the floral aroma/taste is very dominant i think so drinkability for me is average.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

a surprising nose of some sour. definite berry. golden tone wtih a substancel amount of murky sediment. nose is sour berry and earth. chalky earth. some alcohol. palate is an intense pollen. flower and honey heavy sweet like that of honeysuckle ends. fresh and syrupy but back with a nice earthy quality. sort of mineral sort of woody pilsner almost.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Golden with some yellow highlights to it, a little foggy. Head retention is moderate, but it does leave a nice sheet of lace over the brew.

S: On first pour, there is a strong solvent scent coming from it. along with some honey aromas. The more it warms, the more the more subtle scents come through... a fruity aroma becomes more apparent, with a fairly big juniper scent.

T: Flavours weren't as solvent-like as the aroma had suggested. Honey flavours are notable, with a nice juniper and an herbal flavour that is somewhere between bitter and tart, strangely enough.

M + D: Easy sipping, with the big alcohol content. and a rather full body. Quite thick and just slightly syrupy. An intriguing beer, but one I would most likely stick to sharing with company.

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle courtesy of proteus93 and split with a few others at a tasting. Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: I got the tail end of this one, so mine was thick, yeasty, slightly chunky, and hazed. The first pour was a nice golden-hue, a little darker than I'd have expected, capped by one-finger of relatively fast fading, alcohol-retarded, complete with a few blobs of erratic, slightly runny lacing.

Aroma: Huge honey-like malts, spoiled peaches - canned, really, as Dan says, bringin' me back to elementary school - and strong, spicy, solventy alcohol. Almost like acetone or some other lab-esque chemical. The smell is easily the worst aspect of this beer, but there's still a lot of pleasant notes buried under the surface here which make it somewhat inviting and enjoyable.

Taste: A heavily spiced, slightly phenolic, imperial hefeweizen is what I'm getting here. Heavy piney, sprucey, juniper, with only faint hints of the solventy acetone evident in the nose. Sweet, honey-like malt notes, tons of cloves, and - again - tons of juniper and pine. A few citrusy notes here - less peach-like than the aroma and more orange-esque. A faint nutty note from the yeast, as well, which adds a Belgian-esque element. Very green, woody, sweet, and citrusy.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, but with a fair amount of imbedded carbonation, which actually does a fair amount of cutting through the thickness.

Drinkability: At 11%, nothing's really terrible drinkable. This one has enough downsides due to the high alcohol and not less-than-evident alcohol to take it down a few pegs, but it also has enough interesting and unique aspects to somehow make me keep coming back for a few more.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Belmont Station sold me this a couple days ago; a 0.5l brown glass bottle, a joint venture between Norwegian 'Nøgne Ø' and Swedish 'Dugges'. Poured to a pint glass.

"This is Sahti our way. Sahti reinvented" - Nøgne Ø label.

S: A hazy copper-tan, capped with nearly 2-fingers of pillowy eggshell white cream. Held to light, there's a load of sediment, everything from the fine/silty kind to the chunky/mildly disgusting stuff. healthy rising carbonation,

S: Ahhh, the closest thing I liken this to is 'Houblon Chouffe' - the perfect (in my nose) melding of grassy/piney hops and sweet/honeyed malt. 'Belgian IPA' aroma, and that is a very good thing. I suppose the unidentifiable parts to the aroma (and, later, the taste) are the wormwood, juniper and heather. Damn if they don't smell divine.

T: Whew, huge flavor! An intense grass/honey herbalness married to just enough flowery/piney hops. Apple/pear, followed by a big grass-and-evergreen flavor. You may have read this mfar: what I got from the aroma fully translates to the taste: spiced wood, cut grass, fresh fruit. Yum.

M: Somewhat heavy (thanks 11%!), has a coating layer of both hops and wheat-y malt. Medium body, bordering on 'full'. Not quite 'syrupy', but getting close.

D: Despite a lofty ABV, this has surprising drinkability. Falls right into my palate range for 'awesome': beautifully balanced, bright and clean, alcohol level hidden, and so on. If this is $9 then gladly will I pay it: delicious and crave-able.

Thanks to Nøgne Ø/Dugges for helping to revive a nearly forgotten style...and thanks to Mom for her 100% Swedish ancestry, to which I'll give huge credence to for making this so damn likable. D. E. L. I. C. I. O. U. S.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

A: A ruby tinted honey color with nice steady light carbonation and a light head that dissipates relatively quickly. The second pour into my tulip leads to a much cloudier beer.

S: The nose is almost all honey when I first pour the beer cold. As the beer warms up the alcohol comes through strongly afterward. Once warmed up, a moderately long sniff can lead to some unpleasantly strong alcohol in the nose. Short sniffs are still dominated by honey, however.

T: The juniper comes up front with an alcohol heat following it up. Honey notes follow with a taste I must assume comes from the wormwood, a bitter quality that then slides back into a lingering honey. A very complex, unique, and tasty beer.

M: Like watered down honey, a nice thickness with just a little less carbonation than desired.

D: A slow drinking beer. Very enjoyable the entire time. Certainly could have had another but probably no more after that. A thoroughly enjoyable and unique beer.

2.67/5  rDev -31.4%

I really do not understand how this beer has a B+.. Granted, I feel bad saying how much I disliked it (especially considering that I often like Nogne a lot), but the flavors and aroma to this beer were just soo weird that I found it quite unpleasant. The smell was like flowers and ammonia.. like urine. Honey, fruit, flowers and urine. The pour is nice, an amber-copper with thin white head. Taste is very complex and interesting but very flowery. Very strong juniper and sye. Not floral like hops, just flowery like fragrance. Also quite sweet. Its very strange. Mouth is fairly avg with a moderate body. Drink isn't heavy or such and body-wise its easy to drink, but I just cannot get past the aroma and flavor and I drain-poured it.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Opaque light orange brew. It has more head that I imagined this style of Beer should have. For some reason I had the preconception that Sahti was flatter than this. That's why we drink 'em!

Smell: Pronounced honey aroma, not unsimilar to Polish meads like Jadwiga (spelling?). The honey seems to come from a very floral source. This isn't clover honey for sure.

Taste: With a smell like that, you'd think this Beer would be cloying as hell. Not at all, at least not to the level I expected. The rye is what really comes on strong and gives flavors of baked goods. Especially when the flowery come play around your tongue, it's like a slice of some kind of east european dessert bread. For such a rich and complex brew, I was astonished by how well it drank. But what really floored us was the 11% ABV. Very interesting Beer from a brewery that seldom dissapoints.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy golden color with a large, and growing off-white head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass.

The aroma is completely different from any beer I have consumed before. Very aromatic with spices. I had to look sea wormwood up and I guess it is very aromatic but no specific description. Almost smells like jasmine or other astrigent plants. Herbal and floral is a generalized descriptor. I do not pick up on any juniper which I would think should be mandatory in a Sahti.

Has an astringent flavor. The tannins have taken over. A bit gin like in flavor but I honestly cannot pick out the juniper. Has the more distilled flavor of gin. This is just a hint of sweetness right before the finish but dies instantly when the ethel alcohol takes over. There are hints of fruity esters but it is very weak. Interesting flavor but being my first Sahti I cannot say how true to style this is.

I understand Sahti's are thick and chewy in body. This one is not. Medium body but the carbonation is spot on for the size of body. Nice soft texture.

An interesting beer for sure. This one got me to expand my review wordage by a large margin so something is going on here. True to style- I am believing it is not. The big ABV and almost $10 bottle lowers drinkability.

3.67/5  rDev -5.7%

Golden Orange, slightly cloudy (bad pour on my part as I got some of the trub in there). About a half finger head that sticks around with little lacing.

Honey, spicey/clovey honey nose - did I say it smelled like honey?

Little bit of gin/juniper taste that intensifies and lingers but mostly honey with a few other citrus fruit flavors. For me the bitterness and gin/juniper berry taste could have been stronger to offset the honey.

This really struck me as more of a braggot than a sahti although I've only had a small sip of DFHs and didn't take a lot of notes but recalled it being more juniper-y. I could drink another one of these and would seek it out but wouldn't have guessed it was 11%. It is not (IMO) something you'll down several of during the course of an afternoon/night.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours an opaque yellow-orange colour, huge, mindfuck haze as thick and impenetrable as the mists from Hades. I mean it basically looks like homebrew trub, except for a decent - but thin - off-white head. Retains at about 1/4 inch thickness, leaves a bit of lace but not a lot. Light bead as well. Looks like a fascinating, organic drop.

Nose has a lot of hop and a fair amount of tropical fruit; pineapple, passionfruit as well as grapes. Slight hint of a herbal character and some fresh tobacco as well. Perfectly decent nose, smells fresh and pleasant.

First flavour is a distinct vanilla on the front of the palate, very sweet and descends into a fruity mélange with orange and pineapple flavours, then a very hoppy mid-to-back, quite bitter but not insanely so; it's noa stringent but has a fair amount of fresh-cut grass character and some mildly herbal phenols. Quite a lot of dryness from the quite citric acidity as well. To be honest this strikes me as having a very orange juice character, but with a distinct alcohol hit at the back.

Feel is a bit thick for my taste, it's really quite flat but very syrupy. A lot of texture, maybe too much, and a little bit drying.

This is definitely a unique drop, definitely has an odd flavour to it, almost tastes darker than it looks, and feels a little unbalanced. Maybe I should say it just feels untamed, but it's absolutely worth a drink.

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S