Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sahti | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: Sahti

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

Added by Sigmund on 12-02-2008

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.64/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Bottle exploded with foam when opened it. Despite that, the head was only moderate. Pours a cloudy amber - lots of floaties. Minimal lacing.

S: Honey. Almost sickly sweet. Hint of yeast and juniper berries.

T: Honey. Malty - burnt bread. Belgian yeast. A tiny bit of alcohol lingering. Some hops there but very muted.

M: Creamy. Almost wants to be thick and syrupy, but goes down well nonetheless. Leaves a touch of alcohol burn on the tongue.

D: A little too sweet (and expensive, in Australia at least) to be sessionable, in my opinion, but would work well as a dessert beer.

3.86/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Wow I really did like the look of this beer a lot. The color is rather golden and pretty cloudy. It poured a surprisingly good, off-white head that was maybe three fingers at first, but did go down to just a thin layer after a minute. Just a little lacing, nothing special with that. There's quite a bit of yeast hanging out in the glass that floats around until it decides to go to the bottom. I was really impressed by the look of this beer.

S - Interesting. Reminds me of a wheat beer almost in the aroma. A little clove spiciness to it, with maybe a hint of orange or banana but just a hint. If you pull the spice in deep enough, it almost takes on a mild peppercorn aroma from the spice. There seemed to be maybe hints of vanilla, also, backed up by some caramel malty aroma. Definitely has a little sweetness to it, probably from the honey. Some alcohol aroma can be It's a nice aroma, but wasn't exactly what I was expecting. But I am rather unfamiliar with the style. The more I smell it, the more I think it takes on almost a Belgian tripel quality. I like it, but it's not overly impressive. It definitely is enough to make me want to drink it, though.

T - Like the smell, very interesting. The primary thing I was able to taste was the honey. It's not that it was really strong on its own, but it stood through the most. It tasted a little bit like a young and fermenting mead, if anyone is familiar. It shared the yeasty take that comes along, as well. The yeast gets a little more pronounced as you move towards the bottom of the glass, but it's nothing that throws the balance off. There was a spicy character that reminded me of nothing short of a German wheat beer, though a little different of a profile. There was a mild alcohol taste, but nothing exceptional. It did get more pronounced There seemed to be just a mild hop background to the taste. I'm not exactly familiar with some of the ingredients used in this beer, so I could be mistaking some of them for something else. It's very flavorful.

M - Retained a decent amount of the carbonation on the tongue. Otherwise it's rather smooth and flows down well.

D - Rather good drinkability. The smooth flavor and mouthfeel make it not difficult to throwing a few back. The only thing that might stop you is the ABV, but not in smell or flavor, since it is not overpowering at all in those regards. I would definitely drink this again on any occasion that I can.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%

Golden Orange, slightly cloudy (bad pour on my part as I got some of the trub in there). About a half finger head that sticks around with little lacing.

Honey, spicey/clovey honey nose - did I say it smelled like honey?

Little bit of gin/juniper taste that intensifies and lingers but mostly honey with a few other citrus fruit flavors. For me the bitterness and gin/juniper berry taste could have been stronger to offset the honey.

This really struck me as more of a braggot than a sahti although I've only had a small sip of DFHs and didn't take a lot of notes but recalled it being more juniper-y. I could drink another one of these and would seek it out but wouldn't have guessed it was 11%. It is not (IMO) something you'll down several of during the course of an afternoon/night.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

A Nøgne Ø Sahti??

I've home-brewed Sahtis and they have all been quite good, but I've never been able to try a commercial example. Since true Finnish Sahtis are not hopped or pasteurized, they have a very short shelf-life and are, thus, hard to find on this side of the pond.

Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found this Nøgne Ø Sathi in my local bottle shop.

It pours a light amber, hazy glass.

The smell is heavenly. Candied fruit, juniper, perhaps some estery-banana-clove aromas jumping forth.

The taste is a little surprising. Sweet-honey, like a mead?

( after reading the label, I did discover that this is Nøgne Ø and Dugges' "interpretation" of a Sahti. It was brewed with honey and hops which, I believe, traditional Sahtis do not include)

Spicy, clovey, full-bodied, almost "brandy-like".

Certainly a good sipper by anyone's scale & a great late-night dessert brew. However, I was a little disappointed by the sweetness of this brew and , I guess, disappointed that I still have yet to taste my first "true" Finnish Sahti... sigh ...

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

split and poured into a delerium tremens glass.

A: Pours a cloudy, almost opaque yellowy-orange amber color; like dark honey. Very little head with a thin film of residual carbonation and very little lacing. Visible chunks of yeast hanging out at the bottom of the glass.

S: Like pure, thick, organic honey. Light notes of fresh juniper and even sweet apple and tart berry.

T: More honey, though not as strongly as the smell. The juniper leaves a bitter but pleasant hint of floral on the tonque. Surprisingly very little alcohol taste for such a strong beer.

M: Much more carbonated than appearance suggests. Fizzles on the tongue all the way through. Very slight sting going down from the alcohol level; finishes clean and refreshing.

D: This beer is delicious, but the honey taste gets a little overpowering. The honey alone gives it the impression of being very heavy and the carbonation preempts guzzling. It's a great beer for a glass every so often because nogne has definitely made a quality brew, but I couldn't have a lot in one sitting, and probably couldn't finish an entire bottle before feeling a little sick of it.

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

A: A ruby tinted honey color with nice steady light carbonation and a light head that dissipates relatively quickly. The second pour into my tulip leads to a much cloudier beer.

S: The nose is almost all honey when I first pour the beer cold. As the beer warms up the alcohol comes through strongly afterward. Once warmed up, a moderately long sniff can lead to some unpleasantly strong alcohol in the nose. Short sniffs are still dominated by honey, however.

T: The juniper comes up front with an alcohol heat following it up. Honey notes follow with a taste I must assume comes from the wormwood, a bitter quality that then slides back into a lingering honey. A very complex, unique, and tasty beer.

M: Like watered down honey, a nice thickness with just a little less carbonation than desired.

D: A slow drinking beer. Very enjoyable the entire time. Certainly could have had another but probably no more after that. A thoroughly enjoyable and unique beer.

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Rich foam, which collapses pretty quickly, At first the smell is much like a Belgian spontaneously fermented beer, but after a while the honey aroma dominates. The taste is rather sweet, again with honey. Reminds me of meed, but even if there is no hops in this beer, there is a slight bitterness, which I guess comes from the juniper berries. Rather interesting beer, and I am an experience richer for trying it. But I'll probably not drink it again.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Looks can be deceiving on this one. My experience on this one was a recommendation by a friend.
It was a very murky yellow-gold with material floating throughout. I was hesitant, but.

Smell was fruity, more honey than juniper, very cleansing on the nose.

Tasted malty, fruity, and then tart. Very refreshing, then a slight metallic taste but very subtle.

Aftertaste of honey, pretty sweet. Mouthwatering, a bit.

Texture was very smooth, slightly heavy, very drinkable. Did not notice the 11% alcohol until very end of bottle.

Very drinkable, recommended by myself and my
friend.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

needed a break from a bit of a rut i'd been in lately and my bud suggested i give this a go due to the sheer unique-ness of the style. here is what i think:

A: pours up an absolutely beautiful shade of sun-kissed honey gold that serves as a fitting (and lovely) preview for what is to come.

S: honey, brothers and sisters. the juniper shows up later on, man, but the nose to me provided the slightest hint of citrus buried beneath layer upon layer of that golden yum-yum.

T: W-O-W! please imagine a very mild, very superb mead with the slightest trace of lemon and the high ABV pop associated with many an imperial in its MOST subtle form and you're there, man. (seriously, NOTHING that would suggest this sucker is anywhere NEAR the percentage it actually is.)

this is wonderful stuff!

M: the very definition of balanced complexity. not offensive or girthy in the slightest, and yet chock full o' substance in terms of giving itself a good name in terms of representing the style to a first-timer (as, upon my initial sippin', i was).

D: ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING! were it not for the fact that upon completion my lips went numb, i'd have NEVER guessed this beer was anywhere near the 11.0% beast that it is. pleasing, lovely, and very, very dangerous. : )

in closing, (as you probably noticed) i absolutely LOVE this beer and hope that, if you are so inclined, you will try it as soon as possible.

enjoy!

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Chilled bottle, 1 pt 9 fl oz; poured into a tulip

Appearance: Bottle overflowed when opened from overactive carbonation. Initially poured with a thick head that thinned very quickly leaving a copper-brown liquid.

Smell: Honey scent is VERY present with a little bit of spice (clove, maybe?) and a mild scent of pine.

Taste: A hoppy-malt base, caramel, honey, earthiness, dark brown sugar, alcohol is present at the end

Mouthfeel: Prickily carbonation, sticky flavor

Overall: Nice honey brew and excellent complexity. While I appreciate everything that is going on in this beer, I'm not sure if this is something that I would open every night. Honey, for the most part, masks the incredible strength of the beer.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last