Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sahti | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: Sahti

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

Added by Sigmund on 12-02-2008

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Picked up a bottle of this at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee. It's been on the "coming soon" list in Chicago but I couldn't bother waiting any longer. Served in a Red Hook pint glass.

A - Three fingers of dirty white foam that dissolves fairly quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Hazed peach/orange color that has a nice glow and tons of bubbles racing upwards. The lack of lacing and mediocre head retention were a bit of a disappointment - otherwise quite nice.

S - You can really smell the honey above everything else, but there is also plenty of toffee malt and a bit of obvious alcohol. There's a bit of light spice/herb as well, but the honey is just overwhelming (more so than most braggots I've had). Unbalanced is the only way to describe this.

T - The taste is more in line with what I expect from a Sahti (well - at least to the two others I've tried). Lots of lightly sweetened bready malt, saison-y Belgian-style yeast, honey, medicinal herbs, and a woody aftertaste from the juniper twigs. The balance is much better here, and there's plenty of depth. Also, no obvious alcohol is a plus.

M - Dry finish (like oak-heavy brews) with a bit of residual stickiness. Moderate carbonation, on the lighter side of medium bodied, with some alcohol warmth that kicks in pretty quickly.

D - The smell starts to get cloyingly sweet pretty quickly, and the 11% is a little too strong for the 500ml serving size. Thankfully the aftertaste is clean and the carbonation is moderate. I'd try this again in a more reasonable serving size, but any future bottles would have to be shared with at least one other person.

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared with Matt and Mike. Beer is light amber with a good head that falls back quickly leaving a little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low.

The aroma is slightly sweet, with some spice that comes up as the beer warms but not too much. It actually kind of smells like a barleywine. I like the aroma.

Beer is sweet but not cloying, it is quite sweet though. Medium bodied and coating on the palate. For as high ABV as this beer is it hides it well. The finish is a little thin and moderately dry but overall its a decent beer. Not as herbal as some of the other Sahtis I've had.

3.84/5  rDev 0%

I've never had Sahti, but this looks like an Imperial Sahti. Maybe I should have started smaller, but instead I'm learning to swim in the deep end. On to the beer:

The head is healthy initially. It then eventually drops to a thin lace over this pale orange colored beer. A unique nose, as expected. I can find the juniper....something reminding me of blueberries, definately honey too. I like it.

It's strong alright, but is more of a gentler giant. There's a warming feel of alcohol that warms your throat like a hot beverage. It's not overly spiced, but spiced just right. Sweet honey is the first to hit, then those oddball herbs do their magic. Big bodied in the mouth, and not harsh either. Goes down slowly, but it goes down round.

Very interesting beer to the senses. I like it on this cool night.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a slightly hazy orange golden with a somewhat slight head. Lots of honey in the aroma and a touch of woody herbalness. The taste also exhibits some nice honey notes up front, followed by a bitter juniper woodiness. The honey comes back and moderates the juniper a bit, but I don't get the feeling that the flavors are all that well integrated. Smooth and a bit waxy in the mouth, this seems a touch too thin to me. A decent Sahti, but I would have liked to have seen a more harmonious whole here.

Style No. 100 on Beer Advocate. Only English Pale Mild, Happoshu and Gose to go.

The beer pours a hazy yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is odd, but not bad. I get notes of honey, flowers and perfume. The flavor is more of the same with a lot of honey in the beer. The flowery and spice notes in the aroma and flavor are probably from the juniper, but I am not too familiar with the plant so I cannot be sure. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how this compares to other Sahtis, but I enjoyed this one.

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three-finger thick, lightly tan colored head. The beer is an amber hue that shows a lightly hazed, pale amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells strongly of honey and there seems to be a sort of dusty malt character towards the finish. The honey is really dominant and it is hard to smell anything else, no matter how hard I try.

Fairly sweet tasting, though not as intensely so as the aroma would suggest. A light tartness kicks in towards the middle and the beer finishes with a honey flavor that lingers on the palate in that sort of medicinal way that honey does. My second sip seems a bit more dominated by the honey flavors, though still not as much as the aorma was. A solid pale grain character is here, which contributes to some of the sweetness and there is also a grassy, sort of biscuit like grain character. Some herbal notes and perhaps some menthol like, turpene leaning notes hint at the juniper twigs. The finish has a very light orange accent to it as well. This is definitely a bit aggressively carbonated; this likely helps to lighten the sticky body a touch as I don't seem to mind that this is fairly fizzy. This beer does hide its alcohol quite well, other than being fairly thick textured there isn't much in the way of alcohol heat, so you might not guess that this is 11%.

Another interesting interpretation of a Sahti, one of these days I am going to have to track down a good traditional one, but until then I continue to not really be able to get into the interpretations that I can find.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%

500 ml bottle brought to a very eclectic tasting at inflatablehair's house... Thanks for hosting Sam... Ditmier (I think put this into the mix).... If I'm wrong, somebody let me know right away.

A very muddy orange poured into my small La Trappe glass..

I was befuddled for a long time with this one.. Molly mentioned to Eric that she smelled honey, and things sorta came full circle for this one.

The nose has a ton of honey essence.. juniper ... I love lavender.. but I think I'm making it up.. sorta smells like a hospital... not bad.. just what I thought.

Out of the gate... this reminds me of an herbal tea with a bunch of honey.. a weird grassy medicinal quality that I'm having a problem with.. not a "real" problem... just a "how do I describe this" problem.. phenolic notes that could actually be the herbs in the brew....

Good body and sooo much more interesting than the DFH... Damn glad I got to try this one.. Thanks Eric, I could see how this bottle would be addictive.... I want to taste it again soon just so I can experience the weirdness of it .. but just too sweet for me overall.

Edit: Jesus... seriously... 11%... I never.... NEVER would have guessed.... I was thinking 7-8... wow.. I'm impressed.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

500 mL bottle, always up for trying another version of this rare and medieval style, great bottle design,

A: Pours a yeasty, hazy brown with a fizzy white head, very good retention, but not a lot to look at, very unfiltered.

S: Herbs, some green fruit, a lot of honey, a very interesting nose. Really a joy to smell, the high point of the beer for me.

T: Quite complex, rye bread spice, brown malt/sugar come out with some herbal juniper and honey in the mid-palate. Very boozy and phenolic in the finish, the alcohol takes over the beer in the end. I like the complexities this beer brings to the table, but in the end it just doesn't taste great, it tastes okay for me. The booze completely goes haywire.

M: Very boozy and hot as I said, it has a nice smoothness, but a thin finish. Quite full-bodied.

D: I think the problem with this beer for me, while well made and interesting, is that they tried to make a Sahti 11%. The flavours in the beer just can't stand up to that much alcohol, even with the mead-like characteristics of the honey. Nevertheless, I think it's worth a purchase since it is a very rare style and the complexities are intriguing, but at the end of the day I'm not going to go back to it especially at the $9 price-tag.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a thick, cloudy consistency with some sediment. There was a half inch of creamy, fairly long-lasting head and some good lacing.

S: A sweet, floral, herbal smell, with traces of hops.

T: Tasted of herbs, malt, hops and rye. Had a bitter, herbal quality. An oddly compelling taste. Very flavorful.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a dry, smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A drinkable beer, though I'll admit this is the only Sahti I've ever tried, so I have no frame of reference. Still, a solid beer.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

- Malt beverage brewed with juniper twigs, artemis, maritime, and honey.

A: Poured a burnt honey-orange with a frothy 1 finger dull white head that was moderately lasting at best leaving a patchy covering. There was a slight haziness as well a steady strong showering of carbonation, composed of micro bubbles that rose at a rapid rate. Overall a good coloring and haziness making for a generally good appearance.

S: The nose opened up with some herbal scents of pine cones and wildflowers. There was a musky scent of wet leaves as well. The juniper twigs contributed an earthy dry feel of twigs and fresh bark. There was however a noticeable odd aroma of vinyl/plastic that was unpleasant. Soggy citrus notes of orange peels with a damp,musty nature rounds things out here with mixed feelings.

T: The flavor starts off with strong notes of sweet honey with musky damp oranges and a slightly acidic nature. The juniper berries come in tasting almost like tart blueberries. There was pine cones, and a herbal spiciness of sage and basil coming through midway through the palate. There was as well a good deal of yeastiness, sour dough as well a light underlying smokiness of kindling. The beer finishes up with a dried honey sweetness and a dry almost gin like warming. This is only my second sahti style beer, the other being dogfishhead's Sah'tea. Overall I feel this is more true per style then DFH with an old world feel, but I enjoyed the DFH more.

M: slick with a light watery honey consistency. Not much else was going on here.

D: Drinkability was average, but guessing decent per style. The taste is quite odd but does get more manageable as the drink progresses, but still comes with a little fight going down. Honestly this is quite an odd style of beer that was intriguing but may be a little much to consume at one time both volume and alcohol wise 11%. I would recommend splitting with a friend and you might enjoy the experience a bit more.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a very cloudy apricot orange colour, with a really lovely fluffy head of fine and silky white foam. Lacing is good. Looks still and bulbous in my tulip glass, not very active, but not bad. In fact, it looks very thick. I have to say I heartily approve.

Fair bit of honey, with a very fragrant, probably hoppy, but given the style possible not, character. Something rich and organic as well, not dissimilar to a Belgian yeast note. Almost a smoky character coming through as well. Lots of slightly unusual characters. Not as insanely bizarre as I'd expected from my first Sahti experience, but enough oddities in the aroma to keep me guessing.

Taste is particularly odd. There's certainly more of the honey note, and the gin-like juniper note is present in a sharp pinpoint at the very back. Otherwise, the palate is full of bursting malt and light phenolic alcohol - to my mind, quite reminicent of a dry Belgian pale ale. There's just enough bitterness to tip it out of the true Belgian style profile, and the character of the bitterness is slightly different to hops, but it's very subtle. Some light citrus comes in late as well, like orange peel. Nice. Note a huge note from the rye, although there is a depth to the grain character. Mouthfeel is particularly smooth. All up, this is a very tasty brew, and a wonderful uniqueness.

A very pleasant, refreshing and surprisingly drinkable brew. I particularly liked the thickness in the body, which just makes you have to appreciate all the different flavours as you chew your way through it. You know, I was expecting to say something akin to "not a beer for everyday", but I certainly could drink this everyday. It really is terribly pleasant, and not nearly as confronting as I'd been led to believe.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

The colour is red-orange-brown; the liquid is very cloudy. The finger thick head sinks quickly to an off-white layer. No lacing.

The smell is yeasty and sweet with some Belgian notes of exotic fruits and orange peels.

The taste is very strong and a bit lemon-sour. Earthy/yeasty notes and a chemical flavour of alcohol and solvents. Broth and sweet exotic fruits; mostly oranges but also some apricots. The quite mild aftertaste got fruity flavours - mixed citric fruits, some spices, a quickly passing bitterness, rye bread and quite a lot of warming alcohol. Dough and lemons in the finish.

The carbonation is strong; the sharp bubbles are very small. The liquid is a bit thick and sticky.

If I didn't know what this was, I would have guessed "a Frensh bière de garde with some lemon peels". I found this one too heavy and... unfinished. Besides, where are the juniper berries?

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Murky orangeish brown as it was the bottom of the bottle. A little bit of suds around the edge of the glass with some nice cascading lace.

Very herbal and medicinal smelling. Fruity and earthy with a mix of herbs and some piney hops.

Again, pretty herbal with some green to it. Quite sweet in the form of honey. Some nice hops present citrus and pine. Getting the fruitiness of the belgian yeast especially in the finish. Pretty interesting but not real far out there as I was expecting. Tasty as an IPA.

The carbonation is nice and soft. Smooth feel with an extremely dry finish. The body is maybe medium, but no more.

As I said before, this drinks like an IPA. In no way would I guess this is eleven percent alcohol. I really think this style would be more popular if it was more readily available and a little cheaper in price. Glad to have tried it and I would have it again.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nice copper colour with a big ivory head. Decent head retention.

This is a difficult smell. Very earthy and woodsy with herbs and a hint of spice. I also get a hint of nondescript forest fruits.

Really quite tasty and different at the same time. Starts off with the same odd earthy character before falling into a malty, citrussy mid-palate. Lots of caramalt type flavours. Hints of wood and spice. Light alcohol presence which is acceptable at this ABV.

Thick and syrupy but countered with high carbonation. This seems to works well with the beer pulling everything together.

An interesting beer and one well worth drinking. A curious style too which I would like to find more of. Pretty drinkable for the ABV.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a hazy golden amber with a puffy, thick whitish head. This ale appears very lively in the glass, almost turbulent. Easily one of the most active beers I've seen.

S: Very powerful and intense. The honey is extremely assertive, though caramel, rye, pine, juniper, and a faintly herbal, seaweedy note (presumably from the sea wormwood) can also be detected without much effort.

T: Opens sweet and silky with notes of honey, juniper berries, pine, spruce, rye, seaweed, caramel, and spicy, funky yeast. The finish is long and intoxicating with honey, juniper, pine, and caramel notes caught up in a veritable maelstrom of warming alcohol.

M: Medium-to-full in body, silky, smooth, and a bit resinous, this ale has a decidedly off-dry character. It is not all that drinkable, but then again a beer of this sort is not intended to be. In my opinion, this feels the way a sipping beer should.

O: This is the second real sahti I've had (Kataja Olut was the first), and I'm still intrigued by the possibilities of the style. This one is sweeter and a little stronger than most, but has an absolutely wonderful flavor. Definitely worth seeking out if you're into quirky, offbeat ales.

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S