Dark Horizon 2nd Edition | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

nogne-o.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by akorsak on 12-06-2008

4.94/5  rDev +23.5%

This beer was brewed, according to the label, in 2007, making this beer around 7 years old.

A- Dark black with a brown head. shallow lacing. Beautiful.

S- Not complex, but spot on. Dark fruits, coffee, booze. Ready to dive in.

T- Wow! This is a deep, rich, and dare I say wine-like beer. Dark currants, coffee, bakers chocolate and rich malts. A grand slam.

M- Smooth, creamy and light in the carbonation department.

At the end of the day this goes down smooth and oily. This is a rich deep dink that is truly world class. I have been clinging onto this beer for years in order to do a stout tasting and I must say this is one of the highlights. This beer ages amazingly well, and I have another one waiting for 2019. Cheers!

4.92/5  rDev +23%

Tested this for the first time at the Portland International Beer Fest just for the novelty factor and fell in love. This was so good that my brother-in-law and I both declared it the best of the dozen we tasted and went back for our final slurp.

It's gorgeously dark in appearance with a generous mouthfeel and carriesa wonderfully complex malt hit, with hints of dark unsweetened chocolate, caramel and something like pecans in the back.

Surprisingly, for the ABV, this is a smooth drinker, but for more than a couple of four ounce tastes, I'd want a designated driver.

A couple of weeks later I was able to visit a large store (Belmont Station in Portland) and they had it in the canned bottle. But at $22, it was too rich for my budget.

If you're a maltlover like me, and you get a chance, taste this winner.

4.86/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've had DH 2-4 & I must say that 2 is the best. It had a few years on it but it developed so well over the years! Notes of; coffee, chocolate, toffee, burnt cinnamon, caramel & raisins shined through from the aroma to the taste. The mouth was medium in body. Nøgne Ø makes amazing brews & this one did not disappoint!

4.86/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is an exceptional beer - had it in a bottle from 2008. Pours black and is very rich and complex in taste. Very viscous as well. Very much recommend this beer; however, ask what the price is. It was borderline exorbitant when I got it, but it was worth the experience.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Bottle. Pours a black color with a brown, small foamy head which almost disappears, though there is a small amount of it left around the edges.

Smell of liquorice, almost salmiac, espresso coffee, spices, dark chocolate, toffee and almonds. I would say it is as the classic toffee with almonds - mandelknäck - which we eat around Christmas here in Sweden. Vinous. Some alcohol too (but this is strong).

Taste has lots of liquorice and salmiac, hard roasted coffee, quite espresso-like, toffee with almonds just as the smell, some dark chocolate. Not as sweet as expected. Some hops in the background, medium bitterness. A small alcohol-kick.

Very smooth for being so high in alcohol, filling, full-bodied, low carbonation, a bit viscous.

A very nice sipper with some noticable alcohol, but it is well hidden for 16%. It will probably be even better within a year or two or ten... but it is already very good. Beer of the year? According to me... yes.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

I grabbed a couple of these when they came out as I loved the first version soo much. I chose this as a nightcap last night after a long night. Served around room temperature and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/31/2008.

The pour was perfect. Rich dark black in color, completely opaque with a huge billowing head of tan foam over the top. No fade on this at all, as the cushion of brown stayed on top throughout the next couple hours leaving tons of sticky lace up and down the sides.

The aroma was highly charged. Some alcohol at first but this mellowed some, and I swear after about 20 mins became one of the best aromas I could have hoped for. Rich chocolate and roasted malts, touches of coffee and licorice, just amazingly complex here. Rich roasted molasses like flavor, hints of dark bakers chocolate and deep coffee notes just rippling trough the palate. The alcohol was a bit hot as this one is definitley still quite young, but the character is well defined here and easily a monster fresh. Huge full bodied stout, this one was not messing aorund at all, I took my sweet old time with this one as 500ml of 17+ percent is nothing to sneeze at, but still the nice vanilla touch in the finish made each sip well worth it.

Overall I thought this was an excellent beer. Really well crafter and even though it was quite young, it is going to be a beauty.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Ah great to finally try this monster for a beer. Really cool steel tube that the beer is packaged in too, makes it feel a bit mysterious!

Looks amazing, pours a black colored beer with a larged brown foam that settles to a foam ring.

Smells amazing too! Notes of hardly rosted coffee, chocolate, vinous notes and some not of burnt rubber (not in a disturbing way). Almost like a strong espresso. You can really tell that this beer is packed with alcohol when you smell it.

Taste is, of course, amazing aswell. You can feel the strength, but it's not disturbing at all. It's just real powerful with almost vinous notes (from the wine yeast?) and some liqourice with these salmiac notes. Lots of hardly rosted coffee, lots of sweetness, almost raw sugary. Really filling and amazing mouthfeel, perfectly carbonated.

Sometimes words are not enough to describe a beer, and this is one of those cases. This is a must-try!

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

Let me first say that I've had some bottles of good stuff for a while, and this year I've tried many. In good cellar conditions -- or what I thought were, if I'm not wrong -- I fear that I let many of them sit too long. So I decided to have a treat for myself over three or four hours, crack this open, and see what it brought. The brew, from the bottle, was created on November 5th, 2007. They recommend to let it reach maturity until fall 2009, and it should be consumed before 2020. I imagine this may last that long, but I didn't buy another bottle, and it's almost a year after fall 2009, so let's do it. Also, friends Ryan and Mary Anne just gave birth to healthy twin boys, so this is also a toast to them.

Bottle #11803. Poured into a Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic. Purchased for around $23 -- give or take -- at The Wine Source near Baltimore, in November of 2009.

Appearance: Massively opaque, as expected, with a mocha-colored head. More retention appears that I thought would be present, with small drops on the glass, and though the head dies fairly quickly, because of the ABV I was surprised it was there for that long in the first place.

Smell: Initial alcohol is certainly present, with hints of anise, black coffee, definite caramelized brown sugar, rich hunts of chocolate and dark berries, and slight black magic marker. A lot of roast, char, and caramelization is going on all over the place. As it warms, the anise aroma adds a perfumed and nuanced sweetness to everything. Wonderfully rich and balanced all around.

Taste: Huge roasted and charred malts at the forefront, balanced nicely with the caramelized brown sugar sweetness. The alcohol is there, but welcome, warming, and almost magically visceral, if you will. The presence of berries is more dominant here than in the aroma and works well with the charred and sweet flavors, adding a third element to the already-complex balance. Coffee with two sugars comes through as it warms, along with a good sense of bitterness working with the charred malts. Chocolate is the flavor that, with each sip, works well and differently each time. I think for what they set out to do with this, it'd be impossible for it to be better, especially for the 17.5% ABV, which is, to date, the (very close second) highest ABV in a beer I've ever had. Also, I would've been shocked to find this out had I not known until the end of consumption. I also want to mention that there will probably be many folks who talk about the "heat" of the brew and that the alcohol needs to mellow. Though I don't find this harsh, I'm starting to think that the "best by" dates on the bottles should be listened to, at least for a lot of beers, and that I may not go as crazy as I did in the past with cellaring. As you can tell, I'm beyond thrilled with this beer right now, almost one year beyond their suggest maturity date.

Mouthfeel: I'm not sure what yeast is present here, but it does the job wonderfully. There's a ridiculous amount of back-end creaminess working with the middle-timed spritz of carbonation coming through. Not even close to cloying, which blows me away, since I've had so many beers less than 10% ABV that were like pure tar compared to the elements going on with body and carbonation here.

Drinkability: Sure, the price is steep, as everyone's aware, but also with the tin it comes in, wrapped in orange tissue paper, that's going to add on to the price. That said, for all the so-called amazing beers I've had lately, this is easily one of the best, which makes it an insanely delicious and euphoric treat to have. I've been plenty impressed with Nogne O so far, but this makes me want to track down every single Dark Horizon I can find in the future. I doubt I'll ever be able to get a bottle of the first edition, but I'll be trying to get a bottle of each one in the future.

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a sinister thick black liquid with small dark brown bubbles rising above and receding almost immediately to leave just a halo around the darkness.
Right away the color and aroma strike me and let me know that this is no normal beer.
Port was my first thought when smelling it then there is some oak, cherry and hints of smoke and chicory with espresso on the tail end.
This beer is thick and chewy on the palate with fig, dark plum and cherry, followed by vanilla, wood and smoke that fades to tobacco and leather with a lingering coffee and warming alcohol finish.
This beer is really a beast. It should come wrapped in a leather jacket riding a Harley. If there ever was a cigar beer, this is it, just make sure it is a dark leaf. On that note, this beer is also great for dessert maybe some serious dark chocolate could pair well with it, but don't insult it with any old chocolate or espresso, this beer can stand alone

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a deep black with a thin, tan head that leaves almost no lacing. The nose is not as boozy as the high ABV would suggest. Mild aromas of almond, vanilla, milk chocolate, currants, oak and plum offset the dominant, roasty aroma of coffee beans. Dark chocolate and coffee bean are the strongest flavors, followed by roasted nuts, molasses, and a touch of licorice. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and creamy, with a slightly boozy back palate.
This beer is still pretty young. It was brewed with wine
yeast, which accounts for it's unusually high ABV. It is
enjoyable now, and will only improve with age. It's pretty damn good now. Nogne-O suggests that you share this bottle "with
people you deem worthy."

4.64/5  rDev +16%

Pours a nice dark brown, no head. Smells of alcohol and dark fruit with coffee. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, charcoal, raisins, and alcohol. Very, very dry. Finishes with a charcoal mocha flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

served into a Samuel smith small nonic pint glass at around 55 degrees.

A: pours an inky, viscous, black... I'm talking darker than the heart of a politician... NO light WHATSOEVER gets through. has a very thin, barely 1 finger head that is oh so beautifully cocoa colored. This beer is 17.5 %.... do YOU expect it to have lacing? that being said, it has some very nice legs, seeing as it has more alcohol than wine, it should.

S: upon first sniff while the head is still there, I get a HUGE amount of roasted malt, espresso, caramel, and vanilla bean. As the head dies so does the vanilla bean hint. very little alcohol can be detected, but is still there lurking in the background.

T: taste is WONDERFUL. very similar to smell. has an initial milk chocolate sweetness that melds delicately into a very hearty roast malt character. that is summarily followed by the wonderful espresso aftertaste and a nice warming left by the alcohol- very pleasant and very refreshing on this rainy 55 degree day.

M: ever drained the oil out of an engine that's cold? ever turned the jar of molasses upside down? ever tried to let gravity put the toothpaste on your brush? then you would know what this beer feels like, very thick and chewy. carbonation right out of the bottle is already on the light side and just gets lighter as the beer sits.

O: overall this beer is THE MOST exceptional RIS that I've ever had. it is actually soo good that my mother, who hates beer; raced into the kitchen to see what kind of coffee I was brewing, saw it was a beer, tasted it and DEMANDED a glass. At 17.5 % this beer basically redefines a session beer, and if you're not careful this will act just like a politician...go down nice and sweet, then kick your ass straight to the ground, stomp on your face, and deny any connection to you.

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on Tap at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Review from notes.

A - poured a viscous pitch black with a decent brown head that left spots of lace. Not much head retention but such is expected from a beer of this magnitude and alcohol.

S - Expresso, coffee beans, yeasty biscuits. A touch of mocha and relatively fruity, perhaps of dates? Quite pronounced and wonderful!

T - initial roasted malts, notes of herbal and earthy hops. Spicy alcohol in the finish but you can hardly tell it's more than 10%, let alone 17.5%! Complex, the fruits seem to blend very well in the body and only gives hints of its presence and enriches the experience.

M - thick and viscous. Mild zing of carbonation holds everything together nicely and coats the palate in warmth. Alcohol warms the throat after the sip.

D - this is dangerously drinkable. I'd do a few of these and not realize it until the alcohol hits me.

Thoughts - I have 2 bottles of this cellaring right now and I can't wait to bust those open. This is undoubtedly one of the best RIS's I've ever had.

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Holy cats! Amped beer or what, oof! Had this at a bar resto Christiana on the terrace this evening with a nice dinner. Poure with a small medium to redish brown head and no lace. Color is an opaque brown with a few cherry highlights. Aroma is complex with tree bark, leather, earth, dark ripe fruits, pipe tobacco, roastiness, dark coffee and sin. Flavor's bout the same. Fine almost too light carbonation. Almost a digestive. Pronounced alcohol. A session for discriminating alcoholics.

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

Bought at Monument Wines and Spirits in CA, brought back to Australia and cracked open with friends to mark my 500th BA review.

Pours a dark, somewhat viscous and oily black, just hints of dark brown around the edges, with a thin film of deep brown espresso bubbles. No lacing, and very little retention, but I expected little else from the highest gravity brew I've yet sampled. Body is surprisingly liquid in the glass though - it doesn't quite linger in its movements as much as some of the other heavy stouts I've had - say Mephistopheles, or Goose Island Bourbon County. Still, a very pleasant, dark and dangerous looking beer - one you have to respect.

Nose is a thick black punch of roasted, blackened charred grain. Heaps of toasted blackness, turbulent notes of smoke and desiccated coconut, vinous notes of peppery shiraz, and a faint whiff, if not a very noticeable one, of spirituous booze. All up, an exciting and tantalising melange of characters.

Thick, silky and wine-like on the palate. Lots of body to the feel, with a creamy welling of vanilla sheened excess. Flavour is soaked with booze, heaps of vinous oak-barrel characters, a little resin, and plenty of dark, charred malt - a character that would be overwhelmingly dominant in any other brew. The alcohol is much more prominent here, though, and the long, spirit-like warming glow that imparts, is part smell, part taste, part feel, and partially sensed through intoxication. It's a heady and mind-tingling brew. Thoroughly exciting.

A very different brew, and one that is very challenging to get my head around - the booze is certainly its most dominant character, and it's as though the entire beer has been crafted around making the alcohol character work. No doubt it will mellow with time, and I'd love to see what it's like in three or four years - it may well have matured into an absolutely astounding brew.

4.52/5  rDev +13%

I constantly need to be reminded about the differences between Double Stouts and RIS. Personally, I think of this style product as a Double Stout. Pours inky dark with a shallow foamy dark tan head that has little hang time. Equally little lacing as you might expect from a beverage with such high ABV. The smell is amazing! Licorice, molasses, roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, cherry-vanilla OMG! Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is light bodied. The high alcohol content lights up the mouth while simultaneously coating the tongue with that smooth lingering sensation of my favorite Double Stouts. There's no hiding this much alcohol...or the anticipated warming sensation. The flavor is monochromatic, world class and unique...intense barrel-aged licorice molasses. Funny thing to see that 125 BAs "GOT" this and this is only the 34th review. Sorry folks, i had to crack this one open. I need to store some of this away and use it to celebrate special occasions. A world class sipper IMO. Highly recommended. Another classic reason to appreciate reading about http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a tulip glass. Nice bubbly finger of tan head which quickly dissipates. Basically no lacing, just a very fine ring along the outkirts of the glass. The beer itself is inky black. About as black as you could get.

Very malty smell. Strong dark roasts in here. Lots of espresso and dark chocolate too. Taking a big whiff, the smell is rounded out with a very noticeable booziness. Could probably get tipsy just sniffing the stuff. Some slight spiciness in there too, like you'd get out of a nice shiraz or cab sav.

Taste is definitely strong. Quite a beautiful blending of bitternesses. Bitter espresso, dark chocolate, hops and that roast burnt bitterness all mingle together. Surprising lack of sweetness, very boozy bite. Almost a wood like/corky aftertaste as if this has been aged in a wood barrel. Eating a little bit of dark chocolate on the side, it seems to take the edge off the booziness and add a rich smoothness to the flavour. Since this is not sweet, the sweetness of the chocolate infuses with the brew rather than overpower it. If the booziness was a little less rough and obvious I'd give this a 5 for taste.

Carbonation is spot on. Just enough to be noticeable. I would describe this as medium bodied and on the dry side. Lack of sweetness means the mouth doesn't feel stale. The espresso like acidity adds character but this too isn't too strong to destroy the palette.

For a beer this full on and this strong, I'd have to say the drinkability is very good. The booziness is quite evident, but at 17.5% abv you'd have to be stupid not to expect that.

Sadly at the price this retails locally, this will be my first and last drop. Saying that I don't regret forking out a considerable amount of dosh for this bottle.

Dark Horizon 2nd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S