Dark Horizon 2nd Edition | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Added by akorsak on 12-06-2008

View: Beers
1.5/5  rDev -62.5%

2.26/5  rDev -43.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass, generously shared by mfielden. Thanks, Mark! From notes.

A: Pours a pitch black body with a surprisingly large (1 finger) tan head that retains fairly well.

S: Like Kahlua steeped in coffee. Very boozy. A mild presence of dark fruits and/or sherry oxidation.

T: It's very simple in flavor, with some loss of complexity due to oxidation. It's sweet, with an element of booze in the flavor. Mild roast and baker's chocolate.

M: One of the better aspects of the beer, owing to its full, rich body. The booze detracts from this characteristic, though.

O: Not particularly complex; this is a prime example of a boozy-when-fresh beer that doesn't stand up to age. Not worth the price.

2.44/5  rDev -39%

A 16.9 oz bottle that I picked up about 2 years ago when they were still around at TJ's. Stowed in the cellar in its tin in an effort to let the nearly 18% alcohol mellow...more on this later. Another one of the beers that I brought out to our impromptu tasting at Trey's place in the 'burgh.

The bottle opens with a slight hiss. At least it's carbonated. The pour looks like tar. Thick and viscous, it doesn't slosh into the bottom of the glass...it more just falls and sits. This gives 08 Dark Lord a run for its money. The head is thin and slight, but at 17.5%, you get points for that. A swirl produces cab-like legs...no surprise, as it weighs in about 3% higher than most of those do.

The aroma...holy shit. The first and overwhelming impression is alcohol burn. Do not consume this in the vicinity of an open flame. Once I get past the stinging in my nostrils, I can make out a formidable roast, chocolate malt, and bushels of figs and dates. Really, this would be phenomenal if not for the burn.

The flavor is really the same as the nose. It reminds me of a roasty version of the first time I tried moonshine in Armenia, except considerably less awesome. A touch of flavor on the palate, but then it burns the tongue and the esophagus. If I took Expedition Stout and added grain alcohol, that's what this tastes like.

This one ended up being a drainpour as the high alcohol presence, the prickly carbonation, and incredibly viscous texture proved to be just too much to be able to enjoy. I can't believe that after 2 years, this hasn't gone anywhere. The "Best After November 2009" should have been placed on the outside of the tin and should have read "Do Not Open Until 2019." The tin would make a ready-made time capsule. If you've got one of these, bury it. Wait at least 8 years, but this one may be not be salvageable. After how amazing Edition 1 was, Edition 2 was a huge letdown.

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

2.56/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Dan NittanyBeerFan for bringing this to the impromptu September 9 tasting in Pittsburgh. I tasted Dark Horizon 1st Edition with Dan at Penn State (which we both enjoyed), so we were anxious to crack this one. We were surprised with the results...

A: The elegant tin can opened up to reveal the 17oz Nogne O bottle. A slight hiss upon opening the cap. The beer pours a thick, viscous, and pretty much lifeless beer. Not unusual for a 17.5ABV imperial stout, so I won't knock it totally. The few bubbles that do appear are dark mocha, but no real head to speak of. I give this a 3.5 because I have had other imperial stouts of this size (i.e. Black Tuesday and Chocolattteee Raaaiiiinn) that have yielded a solid creamy head.

S: The first whiff killed about 1,000 brain cells. The second whiff, about 5,000. From there I stopped sniffing. Tons of alcohol in the nose, rubbing alcohol, blended with chocolate and mocha. The chocolate and mocha notes that do appear are decent, but are totally drowned out by the alcohol. Again, not expected for the size, but because I am a bit dumber from the loss of brain cells, I have to knock this a tad.

T: I was diagnosed with diabetes after drinking this beer. Totally sweet with alcoholic chocolate. Tons of alcohol heat, so much that I had to drain pour this. And by drain pour, I mean pour it into the fuel tank of my car.

Overall, I am not sure what happened between the 1st Edition and the 2nd Edition, but WTF.

2.85/5  rDev -28.8%

Thanks to Med for this one.

This beer is a dark brown with flashes of brilliant prune though the edges. A swirl is a beauty to behold. The head here is an irregular film and a dark tan collar.

Smells of a sweet green grape and prune mixed with a touch of milk chocolate, but this is oppressed by a toxic, boozy sting that reminds me of diesel fuel.

Tastes of a tough boozy sting, like whiskey and port mixed together. This is accompanied by toasted bread and dark caramel with a cocktail of dark fruits. The complexity is great, but the balance is terrible. Needs age! Finishes with a painful boozy sting and a touch of campfire.

Feels slick and clean, but present. It also hurts a little bit!

Needs age in a bad way. I eagerly await 2014 to try my next bottle.

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

1 pint bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a thick pitch black color that produced an immediately dissipating brown head.

(S)- Very very dry; not boozy necessarily, but very dry. Some roasted aspects with cocoa and coffee and raisin.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Heavily roasted with a potent boozy warmth. Hints at raisin and burnt coffee. The booziness got more and more potent the more it warmed.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Boozy on the finish in a big way. A good roasted character. Bitter, but not overly so. Fairly thick.

(D)- A strong stout for sure. A sipper if there ever was one. I am glad I shared it, cause I would have been unable to do this one on my own. Far too boozy. Not worth the $$ in my opinion, but I am curious what a few more years would do to it.

3.02/5  rDev -24.5%

.5l bottle from travisd13. Thank you, Sir.

I realize I'm 'slamming' this particular offering. But I am actually enjoying it, just not as a beer. This is the closest I've ever to come just dropping ice cubes in and popping in a movie (I drink scotch and watch movies. If you didn't know that the last sentence might not make as much sense. Also, I frown on ice in scotch, typcially. However, that depends on the ice and the scotch. If this was scotch, I wouldn't turn down an ice cube).

It looks very nice.

The nose is straight alcohol. And maybe not even edible alcohol, but rubbing alcohol. It is hard to get past. Once you do there are clearly discernable notes of roast malt, carob and almost overripe dark fruit. It is the sort of aroma that reminds you of pleasent late spring days when its too hot to eat and the plums have started to get oversoft.

As I said above, I'm enjoying the taste, but I do not equate it with a RIS. I suppose I do with some sort of barrel ageing, but even then this is a bit over the top. There is a very strong peaty aftertaste. There is also a nice burnt oatmeal cookie taste.

Mouthfeel is fine, there is a bit too much booze in there or else I'd rate this much higher. It fills the palate and the nostrils (if, indeed, I spelled that correctly).

I wouldn't chose this as a 'go to' RIS. I am wondering how I will ever finish a .5l bottle at 17.5%. I would be happy to have a full verticle of this (say 10 years) and do an every-other year tasting with 9 other folks. In fact, I think I'll plan on doing that. ISO DH 1.0 and 2.0.

(126th)

3.08/5  rDev -23%

Bottle number 07954, poured into a Sam Adams lager glass since we're moving and I just packed my snifters.

Pours pitch black, with a fluffy but quickly-dissipating brown head. Head eventually settles into a thin brown cap, just shy of solid, but still nice and dense around the edges of the glass, before finally disappearing altogether. Decent stickage.

Nose starts off with a nice espresso note, a bit nutty, but quickly settles into a groove filled with big alcohol, dark chocolate, and some cleaner, dark fruit with just a bit of zing (think dried currants). A bit too boozy to get a truly high score, and honestly, not as easy to pull out as I expected.

Taste has notes of soy, molasses, coffee and chocolate (though these get a bit trampled down by the boozey heat), and most notably, an alcohol presence that curls your hair in place syou didn't realize you had hair. On the bright side, the alcohol doesn't venture into paint thinner territory as it does in some beers, but it's definitely there, front and center, with every sip, from the front of the tongue all the way to the back of the throat. I'm not a big fan of the massive alcohol, so this is a big, big downer for me, as it tends to overwhelm many of the other facets of the beer.

Mouthfeel is thick, the light but sharp carbonation getting caught in the burn from the alcohol.

Drinkability... well, thi sbeer may be tasty. But anything that burns like this isn't very drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to Joey for sharing this one at La Bella on 8-25-09. I've been wanting to try this one for a while but the price had always made me think twice, glad I restrained myself from buying it or trading for it before. 2nd edition.

Poured a very deep black color with a quarter inch of foam that falls down to a ring.

The aroma was of deeply roasted malts, dark chocolate, notes of wood, anise, and booze in the background. Vanilla, brown sugar, bitter toast, and powdery vanilla sweetness were also in the mix.

Similar to the aroma with a very roasted characteristic, bitter chocolate, bitter toast, and booze. Some coffee in the finish with a good amount of heat. Couldn't drink too much of this. Wasn't bad but I just wasn't impressed and the booze and heavily roasted flavors were just too much to enjoy.

Moderate carbonation with a little bit of fizz in the end.

Wouldn't be able to drink too much of this one, maybe 4oz would be enough for me.

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Dark black-brown. Large khaki cap. Not much life on it, but nice wave like lacing left behind after each gulp (yes, gulp... more on that later).

S: Dark chocolate, licorice, roasted coffee and.... a shit ton of booze.

T: A muddled version of the nose. The heat from the booze just masks anything that might have been stellar here. You certainly get some coffee, caramel, chocolate, and licorice... but is hard to enjoy.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Way too much heat.

D: Tough. It wasn't a drain pour, but this beer simply is not ready for consumption. Some people might classify this as a sipper, but I didn't want to drink this for an hour so I sucked it up and took larger than usual swigs. Glad the bottle was shared cause there was no way in hell I was finishing this on my own.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

Review #300

Sampled this at the 2009 Central Coast BA Bacchanal courtesy of Grabbin2nd. Unfortunately, this beer was pretty warm by the time I got around to drinking it.

Appearance: A syrupy, sugary, black-as-coal mess stares back at me from my sampler. No light passes through this beast. A dark brown, bubbly, ring sits on top throughout the entire tasting.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol. Maybe some molasses and chocolate, but it's really hard to get past the strong, solvent-like, alcohol.

Taste: Dark chocolate, molasses, and tons of astringent alcohol. Caramel spread throughout. Lots of sugary syrupy flavors, with a good amount of charred wood and roasted malt. Alcohol presence is very strong, but actually works pretty well in the overall taste. Also, I had initially guessed this beer was around 11% ABV, so there is some decent masking going on.

Mouthfeel: Hot, hot, hot. Very slick, sugary, and full. Still some creaminess as well. Low-moderate carbonation. Definitely a burner.

Drinkability: I'm having a hard time believing it at this point, but I scored drinkabilty a 3.5 in my notes. Alcohol is masked decently, apparently well enough to make this a 3.5.

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%

The colour is black with a brown edge. The low head is brown.

The smell is powerful with sharp sour notes, alcohol and cookies.

The taste is salty with lots of liquorice and alcohol. Dry and smooth. Full body. The aftertaste is long with salt, sal ammoniac, and burned flavours. The finish is salt.

The carbonation is light, the bubbles smooth. The liquid is thick and dense.

I have read some reviews from people who had this when it was younger. They noted that this beer was quite smoked. Those flavours are now all gone. It is still a powerful and quite heavy beer.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Pours pitch black. At first a two finger tan head forms, but recedes after a minute. Some patchy lace is left behind.
S: Lots of roasted malt and chocolate. Some molasses. Dry wood, and plenty of alcohol.
T: A good roasted malt flavor, syrupy molasses, and a touch of chocolate. Vinegar, and syrup. Tons of alcohol.
M/D: A full body that is low on the carbonation. Very sticky and syrupy. The alcohol burns, and makes this hard to sip on. One bottle is more than enough. It will be hard to finish this.

This did not really do it for me. The alcohol overpowers almost everything. Not my favorite RIS to say the least. A bit over rated IMO.

3.36/5  rDev -16%

A dark black body that looks like sludge pouring out the bottle. Creates a big brown head that has pretty good retention and leaves some lacing behind.

Alcohol: there is lots of it in here. Beyond that roasted aromas, chocolate, coffee.

Alcohol is all over the place here. Up front you get a lot of roasted and chocolate flavors to pair with the alcohol. After that comes alcohol with sweet molasses. Next comes unbridled, unaccompanied alcohol that burns a bit.

Mouthfeel is good, thick and full.

How drinkable is this? I don't know, it is huge and really boozy. But for being so huge and so boozy it isn't terrible. This is not something I would try to tackle alone again. Really, this thing could use a TON of age on it (no surprise there). I'm not sure whether I have that kind of patience though.

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

I've held onto this bottle for awhile now and figured today is good as any day to break into it.

Made November 2007.
Mature until at least Fall 2009.
Best before 2020.
Consumed April 2011.

Pours a pitch black color with a small light brown head, head doesn't stick around at all, not much lacing but it does have some legs.

Wow, the aroma off this thing is intense, some good but mostly bad, first thing I notice is a strong alcohol presence, seems almost rubbing alcohol like, if you're able to get past the rubbing alcohol notes you'll pick up a dark roasted malt aroma with plenty of dark fruit, hints of charred wood.

Omg it burns, it burns so good, seriously this is wicked hot in the mouth, but more specifically it burns as it goes down the throat and gives a huge warming sensation, after the burn you'll find a burnt roasted malt flavor with some dark fruit (like raisins) melding together, decent char-like quality to it, fortunately it's not sickly sticky or cloying otherwise it would have been damn near impossible to drink, this is definitely a sipper and it will probably take me all night to finish this bottle.

I've had the 1st edition awhile back, even had it as a side by side with this edition. Left the review until I cracked open my own bottle of the 2nd edition today, and I have to say the 1st edition is leaps and bounds better, even after letting the 2nd edition age. Guess I should have let it age until 2020, maybe I'll find another bottle and say what the hell, I should still be alive in 9 years to see what happens to this beast.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%

Been waiting a long time to drink this one. Story on label says it was created 11/5/07 and recommended waiting till fall 2009. Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Was pitch black in color. Visible carb streams on the surface. Gave it a good pour and got a pinkie finger sized dark, dark brown head that quickly dissipated into a barely there color (about what you'd expect at 17.5%). No lacing.

The aroma is still very hot. Lots of alcohol up-front but that settled some as it continued to warm up (or I just got numb to it). Also had molasses, dark roasted malts and vanilla. The taste is also very hot with the alcohol even more dominant. Not too hot at this stage to be undrinkable but I think it still needs some age to it. After the alcohol fades at the end, the base RIS flavors comes thru so the after-taste is a little muted. Wish more of that flavor was present at this stage. Mouthfeel is viscous and burns a bit from the alcohol. Hot aftertaste.

Overall, I wondered what this would taste like in a couple years. For now, it's still too hot to be very enjoyable after 1/3 of it. If you have one, keep it in the cellar for awhile and let it settle down some. Rotation - not avail in TX so got in a trade with johnnnniee - many thanks. This one is enough for me.

Dark Horizon 2nd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S