Red Horizon | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Brewed with sake yeast in cooled tanks for several months. 75 IBU.

Added by bark on 12-08-2009

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is the first time ever I can actually begin rating a beer before I've even opened the bottle. I balked at the $20 price tag on an 8 oz bottle, even with 17% abv, until the clerk at the store told me to open the tin that it came in. The ester smell inside jumped out like clowns out of a circus car and started doing the happy dance inside my nose. I was sold! Woody, fruity (strawberry?) yeast odors so powerful, I had to take this baby home.

I poured this thick, murky beverage into a large wine glass - 8 oz being too small for a proper tulip. It did not look appealing, but it did get my interest. An opaque, greenish brown liquid almost devoid of carbonation, more like a lightly bubbly white wine than a beer. I guess the sake yeast has something to do with that, perhaps?

To misquote one of my favorite films, and I thought it smelled great on the outside! More wood and heavy on the stone fruit with some honey, and none of the nose-burning astringency I'd expect from a beer as strong as some liqueurs.

The taste is equally smooth and rich, but the mouthfeel matches the appearance in thickness, especially since it's almost uncarbonated. It's a peculiar flavor, but I loved it. A bit of the sake flavor still underneath the heavy fruit and alcohol taste, almost makes me think I'm tasting rice rather than wheat malts.

This is a fascinating beer that is out of my price range to ever touch again, but I will definitely check out the next sake/beer combo I come upon.

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

rooting around my cellar I totally forgot about this brew

eyes...
some foam in the bottle but it is gone within 2 seconds in the glass, this still has some carbonation running through the glass but zero head, no lacing (obviously) but this certainly sticky in terms of the alcohol clinging up the glass, orange with burnt amber hue, this is as flat as an actual horizon, but hey even ugly girls need loving too...

nose...
honey booze, and some booze, and some more, almost drags you into whiskey-ville, a tart fruitiness is apparent, something like cherries, pretty subdued considering the weight

taste etc...
wow... that is some strong stuff, what might have been meek in the nose is an absolute flamethrowing beast in your throat, syrupy and thick, you do get the hint of sake flavor, really strange but enjoyable, this is such a strange brew, it really does taste like a hybrid of sake and ale, I could see this going great with some sushi as it has punch but is great as a sipper

verdict?
I like it, for something totally different for an occassion (a soire at your local sushi joint perhaps?) this is really good. best shared as this ABV is pretty crazy... good stuff, glad I stashed a few bottles

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I was not expecting a lightly colored beer when I poured this, I thought it was going to be a stout. It is very clean and clear and resembles a brandy or whisky.

Very wonderful aroma. There is an abundance of fruit, some light like fermented pears and some dark like raisins.

The flavor is enjoyable but isn't perfect. The good sides include pear, apple, and caramel. The bad side is the presence of the alcohol in the flavor, it starts out like a ninja with almost no heat, but the heat present in the after taste builds through the beer and resembles vodka during the last few sips. Fortunately it doesn't detract from the fruit character.

There is a mild tingle, and a slightly syrupy feel. I think it is good.

Red Horizon from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S