Red Horizon | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Brewed with sake yeast in cooled tanks for several months. 75 IBU.

Added by bark on 12-08-2009

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8.5 ounce bottle. Served in a Dogfish Head Signature glass, the beer pours a hazy amber/orange color with a thin off-white head that went away quickly. There's also a small amount of lacing. The brew smells like toffee, caramel, booze (brandy), pears, bready malt and candied fruit. The taste is sweet and boozy, it tastes like raisins, caramel, booze (brandy and maybe rum?), candied fruit and a bit of sweet spice. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit creamy and coating with low carbonation. I think it was a decent enough overall brew, but there wasn't anything that impressed me about it. It was nice to try once, but I don't think I would ever buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from an 8.5oz bottle into multiple glasses. Thanks to everyone for the assist!

A: Pours a pretty amber color with an extremely short-lived layer of bright white foam on top. Carbonation was pretty active.

S: Big aromas of sugar and caramel with some lighter hints of apple and pear.

T: Much like the aroma with more in the way of nuance. More pear and green apple and maybe a touch of peach. Caramel isn't as heavy handed as in the nose.

M: Despite the abv, the alcohol presence was pretty tame. Yeah it's in there, just not in the levels I expected.

O: Pretty odd when you're using a 17% ASA as a palate cleanser but we tasted this after Edition 3 and Sweet Horizon and only something this strong would be up to the task of scraping the remnants of those other two off of our tongues. This performed its' job well.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a ruddy dark amber color. About a half finger of head is achieved with a vigorous pour that dissipates almost instantaneously and leaves very little head.

Smell – Massive amounts of candied sugar, caramel malts, booze, and slight fruits.

Taste – Fruity flavors up front such as plums, apricots, and pears (I taste pear more than the others). Just intensely sweet with the candied sugars, brown sugar, and molasses. The sake yeast adds an odd component. While I will say the alcohol is somewhat well hidden, I do taste some fusel notes.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, a bit creamy, lower carbonation.

Overall – While I don’t really taste the alcohol, I feel it warm the throat quite a bit. This beer is just WAY too sweet (like Dark Horizon 3). I may have a couple more sips of this but there is no way I am going to finish it.

1.12/5  rDev -69.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by Nick.

A: Pours a clear, honey-gold body with very few beige bubbles (quickly vanishing). The appearance betrays this beer's ABV.

S: Sugary sweet, with a cloying, nearly candi-sugar like aroma. Should I take out a second mortgage, Patrick Rue?

T: Super-sweet, in a caramelized raisin expression. Toffee, rum, gah.

M: Incredibly boozy, sweet, and oily. Just a flurry of things I hate in very strong form.

O: I want to say nice things about this beer because it's rare, gimmicky, and expensive-... what's that, you say? Those don't count for shit in Arbitrator's world? Oh.

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

A-Pours clear amber with copper highlights. No head, just a thin ring of white foam.

S-Super sweet. Maybe some candi sugar in this. Smells like a less interesting take on Hair of the Dog Fred. Some nice estery fruit aromas, which I think can be attributed to the sake yeast.

T/M-This is an excessively sweet American Strong Ale, which is fine, but the booze is too much. Gets really hot mid-palate,. leading into a dry, sharp finish. An unpleasant flavor in the finish reminiscent of dirt. Not much complexity to be found here. Full bodied and sticky, with low carbonation.

O-It's okay I guess, but definitely not worth what they're charging for an 8 ounce bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -21%

Brassy amber color with no head, no lace, no retention. No nuthin'.

Aroma is certainly different. Sweet hazelnut liquor, raisin, and a little sweaty butt which I'll attribute to the sake yeast. Taste is sweet, woody malt and paint thinner alcohol. Hot, syrupy mess.

Not as bad as sake, not as good as beer.

1.34/5  rDev -63.9%

Bottle: Poured a light amber colour ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of varnish and loads of alcohol ester is not enjoyable at all. Taste is dominated by paint varnish notes with loads of alcohol showing. Body is kind of thin with oily texture and medium-low carbonation. Absolutely the worse thing I have tasted from this brewer; the alcohol i showing way too much and the paint varnish smell is awful. This is one hell of an expensive drain pour.

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Hands down this was my least favorite of the Horizon Series. The beer poured out as a golden orange color with a fizzy white head that lasted less than a minute. The beer has no lacing and visually doesn't looking that appealing. The smell of the beer was boozy and had some herbal spicy aromas to it. The taste of the beer should have a bit more flavorful I think, I wasn't able to pick up much of the sake yeast or anything else that was in there. It just tasted like a really strong beer. The mouthfeel was thick, had some good carbonation but just wasn't thrilled by it in the long run. Overall I found myself really bummed about this brew. I expected it to be more like the Sweet & Dark Horizons somehow. This to me wasn't worth the $15 a bottle. I loved the packaging but that's about all.

3.42/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a hazy golden color with a reddish hue. The head is small and soapy, quickly dissipated into a very light ring.

The aroma is of toffee and caramel, rum soaked berries, and candied tropical fruit. Definitely has some alcohol vapors.

The taste starts off with a big toffee, caramel, and candied fruit flavor. Borders on cloying but then there is a bittering presence that keeps the sweetness in check...somewhat. It is sort of an odd earthy/rusty/grassy bitterness but it is welcomed. Some rum and toasted bread flavors round out the profile.

The feel is full with some spritzy carbonation. Despite the initial carbonation, the feel gets a bit slick in the finish yet has some dry characteristics. The alcohol can be solvent at times and results in some belly burn.

A malt bomb for sure though it does have some interesting balance. The alcohol presence prevents this one from being enjoyable, even as a sipper. Too much rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka presence.

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves some lacing behind

S - Is of sweet malt with some fruit and lots of alcohol

T - Starts off sweet with some fruit flavor but there's a ton of alcohol in the finish not hidden at all its like drinking liquor

M - This beer has a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

O - I'm split on this one I wanted to really like this beer and I did like the taste until I swallowed it making each sip feel like I just took a shot I like big beers but this one is over the top for me I'd suggest saving your money or getting something else

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a burnished copper colour, quite bright red but orange-tinged. Head is off-white, not much left of it but a swirl revives the whispy foam. Lace is clingy and the body has a slight cloud to it. Pretty nice.

Smell is very hot and boozey. Malty, with a slight wood note (cedar), and a strong brandy aroma. Hint of bready-ness, with yeast and wet dough aromas. Hint of cherry. It's big and complex enough for flaws to be indistinct. But I'm still noticing them, sadly.

Taste is sweet, and pretty hot. A big bread whiff hits you upfront. Develops rich, syrupy malts with caramel, toffee and brandy snap. Gets quite hot post-mid, plenty of hop to it as well - citric and piney with a flourish of brandy booze, touch of courvoisier even, and some white pepper. A big beer, nice and palatable flavour-wise but just a bit on the hot side for me.

Yeah, mouthfeel is way hot. There's just no discernible body or texture before it just gets into massive hot territory.

Not bad overall but I just find it overcooked, and the booze just needs to be toned down to let those flavours speak for themselves. Same issue I had with the Dark Horizon, too.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Purchased in the United States, where Norwegian beer is so cheap compared to in Australia. Brought back to Sydney to drink with @LaitueGonflable. Sampled alongside the Sweet Horizon, a very different beer indeed.

Pours a bright orange-amber colour, not much of a hint of red to it, except in the deepest depths. Head is almost non-existent, but that's rather unsurprising for a beer of this ABV. Looks pleasantly languid and heavy, but with a liveliness—the tiny carbonation that forms when it's swirled bubbles merrily to the surface.

Nose is strong and pungent, with a boozy note dominant, but blended with a very dry yeasty character. Certainly, there's not a lot of sweetness, depth or complexity to match the strength. Comes across as strong and hot.

Taste is a lot better, with a sharp crispness and a surprising brandy-like complexity. Heat is still omnipresent, but that's what this beer is about. Otherwise, there's sharp vinous characters, a touch of refined wood and even a hint of smokiness. Backpalate lingers for ages with a boozy astringency.

It's an unapologetic beer, this one, and I have to respect it. While it has a certain rampant belligerence, it also has a good deal of subtle complexity. I do very much appreciate what you do, Nøgne Ø.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

The sake yeast makes the beer. High alcohol is well hidden. Spicey mostly, berry fruity, smooth and big mouthfeel. Amber coloured body.Certainly an impovement on most sakes.
Bottle shared with Jack at The Ginger Man NYC.I would have this again. Unique.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 2011 release into a Vertical Jewbelation glass. Also, Sake yeast is apparently the same as Lager yeast (though this is made with a famous one.
Pours a hazy orange/red with a finger of soda pop style head, nice lacing.
The smell is malt heavy and a touch tart. Caramel, (oh goddammit, I snorted some up my nose) sour green apple, earth, lemon and no booze, which is a surprise.
Way too sweet, I'm sure that gets better with age. Mostly caramel, cotton candy, slight citrus and more sugar. Thick going down. Super heavy beer. This can't be 75 IBU, no real bitterness that I can detect.
This is a knockout beer, not in a great way. HOWEVER, I would love to age one and try it out. I'm sure that aging is the key. Solid background, just far too sweet fresh.

5/26/11 One in the cellar.
I WILL AGE AND RE-REREVIEW.

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

8.5oz. bottle served in my Old Stock snifter at 52 degrees. Pours a semi-translucent amber with no head; just a skim and a paper thin, bubbly band around the edges - no lacing whatsoever. Nose exudes sweetness and malt with a boozy/ethanol-like character coming out at the back end. There's also something else in the mix; perhaps sake yeast (yes, I've had enough sake to know what it smells like). Taste expresses soy sauce, brown sugar and definite sake characteristics. The flavors are extremely sweet up-front. Thankfully, there is a residual ethanol character that comes out at the finish to cut the cloying taste between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medum bodied with a lively carbonation, an oily texture and a light, residual burn at the finish. I have to say that at 17%, the alcohol is very well-hidden on this beer. That said, the flavors are way too over the top. Perhaps it could benefit from some aging (I'm thinking 3-5 years), but in its present state, it's definitely a sipper. I'm definitely grateful for the smaller bottle size and in my opinion, it's best split amongst two or three.

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a snifter... starts with a very tiny head that is completely gone within seconds. Beer is a cloudy orangish amber color with little activity

S- Smells like booze... maybe a hint of sweet malts

T- Not a whole lot to it in my opinion. Starts out malty sweet, maybe some notes of honey, then straight boozy heat in the finish

M- Lighter in body with little carbonation

O- Eh... it was interesting to try, but the 17% just makes it to intense IMO. I wouldn't buy it again based on the taste, and definitely wouldn't after factoring the price

CHEERS!!