Sweet Horizon | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

nogne-o.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ShogoKawada on 10-23-2010

1.47/5  rDev -58.6%

A: Pours a dark chocolate color with a few tan bubbles able to poke through the top.

S: HOLY SWEETNESS this is sweeeet. smells like a pan of melted chocolate poured into a pot of caramelized sugar.

T: Right in line with the nose, except now you're drinking that pot... Big boozy, sugar covered finish like chocolate and sugar covered raisins with rum filling (not rum soaking,rum FILLING)...ya, not good.

M: Chewy, thick, and syrupy like a liquid desert. If it wasn't for the palate-destroying, cloying sweetness this would bode well for a big stout.

O: The worst beer I've ever had.

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Nick.

A: Pours a dark maroon body with a smattering of tan bubbles on top of the beer.

S: Molasses, candi sugar, anise, and enough clove that I find myself thinking: this reminds me of Coke. Nanoslug blurted out with the same observation later. Very amusing.

T: Anise, chocolate, molasses, candi sugar, vanilla... Sweet things. It has a peppery, clove-y bite in the finish that accentuates the booze and, again, reminds me heavily of barrel-aged Coke Vanilla.

M: Thick and syrupy, the sort of mouthfeel I'd look for in a heavy, dessert-style stout. This is offset a bit by the rich, solventy alcohol aftertaste, but in total honesty this does more right than wrong. And I'm pleased that the brewery recognized that this is best sold in a small bottle.

O: I'll be kind and call this abysmal.

1.81/5  rDev -49%

overpriced 8.5oz bottle into chalice

A: Lacking carbonation, not head, but pouring like soda - thin but solid. Black with significant light penetration

S: WTF? literally smelling like brandy and grape soda, with booze. Otherwise not very aromatic.

T: Ok, this definitely isn't in the realm of "beer" by normal terms and I think I see that was the brewery's objective.

Very Sweet first and foremost, still some brandy liqueur like qualities, and malt soda almost like rootbeer beat to death with alcohol.

M: Flat. Sweet. Boozy.

O: FML for opening this to take 100% to my dome. I don't even think this would split well enough for 2. Save this for your 3-ways and gangbangs. Or better yet, save it for not ever buying at all

1.84/5  rDev -48.2%

Sweet Horizon

A: Jet black that looks like freaking oil sludge. No head just straight darkness

S: All i get on the nose is straight booze and coffee with little to no chocolate

T: I don't know where to start, oh wait yeah i do. This thing is absolutely the sweetest beer i have ever put on my mouth. Horribly sweet that it actually takes away from the actual slight chocolate and coffee that is hidden in the background.

M: Ummm sweet sweet and um more sweet. Seriously thats all this beer is. Ridiculous how sweet this thing is.

O: I had high expectations for this beer but then i drank it. Just stupidly sweet ruining flavors that constantly try to express themselves. I guess it isnt called Sweet Horizon for nothing.

1.96/5  rDev -44.8%

It's rare that i'll ever dump a beer after a few sips, but that's what happened with this beer. Thanks Dave for sharing, reviewed from written notes.

Pours black with brownish edges, feeble foam rises and leaves a thin ring at the edge of the glass.

Smells like a coffee with one too many packets of nutrasweet dumped in. Lots of roast, caramel, cloying sweetness.

Ugh. The taste was wince inducing, utterly disgusting. Dump 4-5 packets of sugar or nutrasweet into a cup of coffee, and this is what you get. Harshly bitter aftertaste, with a sickly sweet cloying taste upfront. Bare bones of a withering stout hangs in between. Thin and astringent, lingering harsh alcohol. Dumped out after a few sips, and again that's rare for me. Spare yourself and consider yourself lucky if this never passes your lips.
Nøgne Øøps, I dumped in the whole sugar bowl.

2.03/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured from an 8.5oz bottle into multiple glasses. Thanks to everyone for the assist...sorry about this one.

A: Pours like your typical big stout. Inky, black, forbidding. Almost like it's saying, "you think this is evil...wait 'till you taste it"

S: Where the Edition 3 had a way sugary smell to it, this one is all artificial sweetner. Like the kind that despite the fact that it caused cancer in lab animals in the 70's, my grandma continued hoard those little pink packets...

T: Mild coffee, disgusting artificial sweetner sweetness, and booze. I, unlike Matt, managed to finish my sips but I felt like a little piece of me died inside.

M: Slick, suprisingly thin, and burn-y in the finish. Sort of like afwul, but worse.

O: I normally really like the beer made by Nogne O, but this was an enormous sac-punch to anyone who spent good money on this. Happy Birthday Matt!!!

2.07/5  rDev -41.7%

This was a Christmas gift from my friends sister. Sweet! Poured right down the middle of a seven ounce taster glass. Big black body on this with just a thin layer of mocha colored foam that's gone just as soon as it shows up. The aroma is pretty intense. Booze before anything else. After getting past that wall I detect the expected coffee aroma with a sweet black licorice scent finishing out with earthy tobacco and leather. I'd say it works well and smells nice, but it's certainly in your face. Licorice right up front, but too much of it. Molasses to follow, but again, too much of it. Coffee flavor is hard to detect, but it's there, hardly. And let's top it off with hot alcohol. Yikes. This one is just way to sweet for me. It may be great for some but for me, I'm less than impressed. If it weren't for the sweetness this would be fine (I know, the beer is named Sweet Horizon, but too much is too much). Feels alright, kind of like a stout should, but I just can't say the mouthfeel is good when my taste buds are being offended the way this one does. Way too sweet. I can't finish this tiny bottle. I'm glad it was a gift.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

2.6/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from an 8.5 oz. bottle into my Portsmouth tulip. Was excited to pick up the Red and Sweet Horizon beers. Found Red good but not worth the price ($14 a piece for 8.5 oz bottles), hoping Sweet is as good.

a - Pours a jet black color with less than one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident. No head retention or lacing on the glass, looks very close to flat.

s - Smells of sweet chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, sweet fruity malts, alcohol, molasses, and dark fruit. Pretty sweet and not overly boozy considering the high ABV.

t - Tastes of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, licorice, sugar, raisins, molasses, sweet fruit, and alcohol. The taste is certainly why these call this one sweet horizon. It is insanely sweet and not in a good way.

m - Full, thick body and low carbonation, very smooth due to the low, almost nonexistent carbonation. Syrupy.

d - An interesting, but ultimately disappointing stout. I thought the mouthfeel was good and I enjoyed the smell, but the taste is way too sweet. I normally like sweeter stouts and beers, but this one is very hard to drink; it was hard finishing an 8.5 oz. bottle. Overall I wouldn't buy again and if you were debating between the new Red and Sweet Horizon beers from Nogne (though neither is worth their absurd prices), definitely go with Red.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

Honestly, the packaging is probably the best part of this beer: comes in a tin tube with sweet smelling scented paper. All that pretty dressing begets a petty 8.5 oz bottle.

Wins the donkeyrunner award for most sludge-like pour ever. Tiny, impotent head dissolved to a disgraceful crescent collar. I understand it's 14% abv but c'mon.

Smells sickeningly sweet (which is exactly what I signed up for) molasses and coffee. Tastes thick and chewy molasses, vanilla and licorice with a kola nut fade. It's literally sickeningly sweet but not in the good way.

The reason for the 8.5 oz bottle is that one can't drink 12oz of this anymore than one can drink a 12 oz bottle of maple syrup.

My first Nogne O that I'm not a huge fan of. I like where they were going with this, just the execution was lacking.

2.88/5  rDev -18.9%

Bottle.

Pours black with a thin light brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing and decent legs.

Smells of lightly roasted malts with hints of chocolate syrup. Also present are moderate amounts of oily plastic aromas that are very distinct.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though with overwhelming amounts of cloying sweetness. Slightly roasted malt flavors kick things off and are quickly overwhelmed by loads of heavy molasses and sugar – almost as though it was dumped directly in my glass. The plastic notes in the aroma come out near the end of the sip, unfortunately the one aspect of the beer the sweetness couldn’t cover.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is not good at all. I couldn’t finish my glass as the sweetness was way too intense.

Overall this is one of the worst beers I’ve had in a while. I usually enjoy Nogne O’s beers but there’s no other way to describe this beer than a high ABV attempt gone awry.

2.91/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, I was not a fan of this beer. It's tough to even call it a beer as flat as it was. If it had been called a port I may have enjoyed it more.

The beer had zero head and no carbonation whatsoever. That wasn't an encouraging start. The liquid was pitch black and viscous.

The smell is okay at best. I get some licorice, rye spice, port and alcohol. The smell is pungent.

Taste-wise, it's not atrocious, but it leaves a lot to be desired, especially considering the price tag. Despite supposedly having coffee added, this taste was hard to detect. I got sweet syrup and port more than anything.

While drinking it, I was bothered by the syrupy feel of the beer, the lack of carbonation and the sensation that I was drinking a port more than an ale. One positive is that the 14% alcohol was well-masked.

IN the end, this beer was a big bust and doesn't leave me with a favorable impression of Nogne. Then again, maybe the brewery was aware of the oddity that was this beer and thus had it retired in recognition of this.

2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

Tiny bottle shared with my gf. Dark brown pour, no head or lace. Nose is mostly booze, supported by some roastyness and more booze. Did I mention it smells alcoholic?

Very sweet, almost sugary. Overwhelms the stout base. Some weird complexity shows up alongside the alcohol. Not sure what everything is here, but it feels out of place. Tons of biting booze after swallowing. Body is smooth and oily; by far the best part of this brew.

Now that I've had all 3 of the ____ Horizon beers, I can safely say none of them are worth your time or money. Dark Horizon is the best of the bunch, still not worth what it costs though.

2.96/5  rDev -16.6%

Bottle courtesy of ygtbsm94. Served in a sampler glass. Pours near black with a short head that recedes quickly into a thin collar. Nose carries nice chocolate and coffee notes. Some booze. Flavor is a bit too sweet and boozy. Chocolate notes in the background. Quite a bit of sweetness. Medium-full body. Interesting and worth a try, though not something that I’d seek out again.

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

03/12/2016

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours the color of used motor oil. Thick, dark, and sticky. Not much head going on, but at 14% that's no shock. Looks inviting per the style, those are solid characteristics for big stouts.
The nose is coffee, burnt sugar, and a pretty rich stout base. Again, no issues.
The taste...well...even with the name is a bit overwhelming. Tastes like a good coffee stout someone dumped a ton of sugar into. So much that it's tough to handle much of. Rum, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and piles of sugar. Splitting an 8.5 oz bottle is way more than enough.
An experiment that's interesting but just doesn't work for me at all.
This is one of those situations where the BA scoring system makes a beer seem better than it is. Almost everything about the beer except the taste is fine...but MAN this stuff is tough to drink.

Nøgne Ø or not, this doesn't deserve a free pass.

3.05/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev -10.7%

From Alko in Helsinki. From notes.

A - Poured an entirely opaque black with a one finger khaki head that faded to a cap fast. No visible carbonation.

S - Sweet aroma with caramel and lot's of sugar. Some heat was therewith chocolate and coffee. Some roasted malt. Complex and fairly intersting.

T - Really, really sweet. Tons of sugary, boozy fruits. Sweetness that comes out in the aroma is there first then it turns to a harsh overpowering sort of sweetness.

M - A little chew with a full body and mild carbonation. Lingering sweetness.

O/D - Aside from the extreme sweetness this was ok. Obviously you can't drink very much of this in one sitting. This one was definately a struggle to get through. If you could cut back or look past the sweetness there's lot's of depth.

3.17/5  rDev -10.7%

A- Poured into a snifter... absolutely no head on this one whatsoever... beer is black in color with no light shining through. Can't even get a decent head on it swirling the snifter

S- After the vigorous swirling trying to get a head... nose is a mostly boozy aroma with a faint malty sweetness

T- Amazingly sweet, but not just malty sweetness. Almost tastes straight up sugary, with a faint coffee presence in the finish and booze throughout

M- Bit watery... no carbonation

D- Very disappointing. Honestly wasn't a single positive standout quality to this beer

CHEERS!!

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

Received this in a trade, can't remember who from. 8oz bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Pours pitch black, and an aggressive pour yields a few tan bubbles and not much else. A small island of bubbles remains in the middle. Completely opaque.

S: Booze, and that is really all that appears at first. A bit of stale coffee and some chocolate in here as well. Smells sweet and boozy.

T: Disturbingly sweet, really no other way too put it, sugary sweet. Underneath the cane sugar onslaught there is a bit of a chocolate flavor and way in the back is a decent coffee flavor. I can just about feel my teeth rotting out of my head. No bitterness, just a slightly astringent boozy bite. Needs a little more of something to round this out. I understand a sweet beer, but it has too have a bit more coffee or roasted barley to even things out.

M: Mild carbonation, and a little bit thinner than I had expected. Finish is slightly warm. Incredibly sticky on the lips.

O: An intensely sweet beer, liquid diabetes, and easily the sweetest beer I've had since I popped open an 09 Dark Lord. I think this could be a really good beer if the coffee flavor was more pronounced. Bitter coffee could round and even things out a lot. Still glad to try it. Fitting for Valentines day, thankfully I haven't had any other sweets today!

3.24/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Sweet Horizon from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S