Sweet Horizon | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

nogne-o.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ShogoKawada on 10-23-2010

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

Received this in a trade, can't remember who from. 8oz bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: Pours pitch black, and an aggressive pour yields a few tan bubbles and not much else. A small island of bubbles remains in the middle. Completely opaque.

S: Booze, and that is really all that appears at first. A bit of stale coffee and some chocolate in here as well. Smells sweet and boozy.

T: Disturbingly sweet, really no other way too put it, sugary sweet. Underneath the cane sugar onslaught there is a bit of a chocolate flavor and way in the back is a decent coffee flavor. I can just about feel my teeth rotting out of my head. No bitterness, just a slightly astringent boozy bite. Needs a little more of something to round this out. I understand a sweet beer, but it has too have a bit more coffee or roasted barley to even things out.

M: Mild carbonation, and a little bit thinner than I had expected. Finish is slightly warm. Incredibly sticky on the lips.

O: An intensely sweet beer, liquid diabetes, and easily the sweetest beer I've had since I popped open an 09 Dark Lord. I think this could be a really good beer if the coffee flavor was more pronounced. Bitter coffee could round and even things out a lot. Still glad to try it. Fitting for Valentines day, thankfully I haven't had any other sweets today!

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a black color. 1/6 inch head of a tan color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong alcohol, roasted malt, sweet malt, and coffee. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial Stout. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of alcohol, sweet malt, slight roasted malt, and slight coffee. The strong alcohol dominates this brew in aroma and body. The initial sip is quickly followed by a warming of the chest, that is oft sought after during these winter months.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

4.27/5  rDev +19.3%

Oily, inky black colour with no head. Good but lacking the special visual appearance that some suds add to the mix.

Sweet with plenty of sugary malt and sweet alcohols contributing. The chocolate note is prominent as is a light, fruity coffee. Some more yeast esters add further depth.

Very sweet malt with lots of esters adding fruitiness. The chocolate is sweet and pronounced as is the complexity that coffee adds. No real bitterness but that is only because of the massive sugar content. I really like this.

Full body with moderate carbonation. Luscious, oily, thick and rich. Nice.

I really like this. It is a massive dessert beer and the combination of malt, chocolate, sugar, coffee and alcohol is excellent. Well crafted by Nogne O.

4.18/5  rDev +16.8%

A - Not much to look at; pours very dark with virtually no head whatsoever. Some burnt amber coloration swirling on top which can be increased slightly with a swirl

S - Quite boozy on the nose. This bottle was aged for 1 year, so I can only imagine how much boozier it smells when fresh. Coffee is noticeable, but the more complex flavors present when tasting are harder to sniff out

T - Incredibly rich and complex. Begins with a bourbon-esque taste which quickly gives way to coffee and chocolate. One of the more interesting beers I've tasted

M - Great feel all around; a swish intensifies this, particularly on the front of the tongue

O - Top notch "dessert beer." I would recommend this to anyone who is interested even with the steep price per ounce

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

Originally rated on 11/23/10...this is a re-review on 11/22/11.

8.5 oz bottle

A- Pours very dark brown with a small light brown head with fairly large bubbles. The head recedes to a small ring around the glass. Alcohol legs on this one for sure.

S- Sweet coffee, brown sugar, dark fruits (raisins and berries) mixed with a hint of alcohol.

T- This is a dessert beer for sure. Lots of sweet, sticky, dark fruits and caramel. Sweet coffee. Not really picking up any chocolate. Finishes with some coffee bitterness and just a hint of alcohol heat, but not nearly as much as the 14% would indicate. Maybe as much heat as a lot of 9% beers I've had. Even with all of the sweetness, my mouth is left dry and craving more after each sip.

M- Nice and full bodied. I mean come on, its an under-attenuated dark horizon with syrups and sugars added. Low carbonation.

D- This is the most drinkable dessert beer I've ever had. I could have drank at least a 12 oz. bottle.

Overall, I like this beer a lot...and a little bit better than a year ago. The taste is the high point. You have to go into this beer knowing its a dessert beer, and take it for what it is (they clearly indicate this is a sweet dessert beer with the name!). All you haters out there can send me your remaining bottles for disposal.

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle

Pour It Black
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Black pour with dark brown edges and a very thin light brown head. There's not a lot of visible carbonation and it leaves the glass oily.

The aroma is powerful and very, very sweet. There's lots of melted chocolate, molasses, simple sugar syrup, and mild roasted coffee component throughout.

The flavor is incredibly sweet, and thus, particularly out of balance. The flavor comes in waves of molasses, toffee, melted chocolate, and sugar cookies. The onslaught does not stop. Incredibly sweet and certainly a sipper without much hint of coffee.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation and a touch hot with alcohol. The body of the beer is somewhat oily.

Far too sweet to drink in any quantity.

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 8.5oz slimline bottle in attractive metal cylindrical canister. 14% abv...yowza.

Appearance: Pours black into two small snifters, brown around the edges with a small light tan head that falls almost immediately to nothing.

Smell: My immediate thought was that this was kind of like Kahlua. It's boozy, but not at all harsh. Lots of dark coffee liqueur and chocolate.

Taste: Wow. Sweetest. Beer. Ever. Seriously. This makes beers like Creme Brulee taste bitter. Creme Brulee is too sweet for me, but this isn't, oddly enough. There are flavors of coffee liqueur, vanilla, and a strong, but not overpowering booziness. The label on the canister says "don't eat dessert, this IS dessert". We totally get this now. There's not a ton of depth here, but it's pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Viscous; 1 bottle of this split two ways is perfect

Overall: This was about $10-11...it's nice as an after-dinner drink, though it's WAY too sweet to drink much of. It's nice, and doesn't taste anywhere near like 14%. Not at all a bad brew, but considering its price/power, I'd not purchase this often.

3.41/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked up a bottle of this a while back at Julio's.

A - Poured into a snifter a deep brown hue that is definately clear but too dark to see through. There is a slight head that fades to leave a nice halo but no side lacing.

S - Sweet candy and light coffee. Its like an iced coffee with WAY too much sugar and cream.

T - More candy sweetness and light chocolate/coffee. Really sticky sweet and artificial tasting.

M - Smooth, super light/thin with small bubbles.

O - This really was a poorly exicuted stout. The appearance isnt that bad, but every other aspect is pretty average.

2.03/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured from an 8.5oz bottle into multiple glasses. Thanks to everyone for the assist...sorry about this one.

A: Pours like your typical big stout. Inky, black, forbidding. Almost like it's saying, "you think this is evil...wait 'till you taste it"

S: Where the Edition 3 had a way sugary smell to it, this one is all artificial sweetner. Like the kind that despite the fact that it caused cancer in lab animals in the 70's, my grandma continued hoard those little pink packets...

T: Mild coffee, disgusting artificial sweetner sweetness, and booze. I, unlike Matt, managed to finish my sips but I felt like a little piece of me died inside.

M: Slick, suprisingly thin, and burn-y in the finish. Sort of like afwul, but worse.

O: I normally really like the beer made by Nogne O, but this was an enormous sac-punch to anyone who spent good money on this. Happy Birthday Matt!!!

1.96/5  rDev -45.3%

It's rare that i'll ever dump a beer after a few sips, but that's what happened with this beer. Thanks Dave for sharing, reviewed from written notes.

Pours black with brownish edges, feeble foam rises and leaves a thin ring at the edge of the glass.

Smells like a coffee with one too many packets of nutrasweet dumped in. Lots of roast, caramel, cloying sweetness.

Ugh. The taste was wince inducing, utterly disgusting. Dump 4-5 packets of sugar or nutrasweet into a cup of coffee, and this is what you get. Harshly bitter aftertaste, with a sickly sweet cloying taste upfront. Bare bones of a withering stout hangs in between. Thin and astringent, lingering harsh alcohol. Dumped out after a few sips, and again that's rare for me. Spare yourself and consider yourself lucky if this never passes your lips.
Nøgne Øøps, I dumped in the whole sugar bowl.

1.47/5  rDev -58.9%

A: Pours a dark chocolate color with a few tan bubbles able to poke through the top.

S: HOLY SWEETNESS this is sweeeet. smells like a pan of melted chocolate poured into a pot of caramelized sugar.

T: Right in line with the nose, except now you're drinking that pot... Big boozy, sugar covered finish like chocolate and sugar covered raisins with rum filling (not rum soaking,rum FILLING)...ya, not good.

M: Chewy, thick, and syrupy like a liquid desert. If it wasn't for the palate-destroying, cloying sweetness this would bode well for a big stout.

O: The worst beer I've ever had.

1.75/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Nick.

A: Pours a dark maroon body with a smattering of tan bubbles on top of the beer.

S: Molasses, candi sugar, anise, and enough clove that I find myself thinking: this reminds me of Coke. Nanoslug blurted out with the same observation later. Very amusing.

T: Anise, chocolate, molasses, candi sugar, vanilla... Sweet things. It has a peppery, clove-y bite in the finish that accentuates the booze and, again, reminds me heavily of barrel-aged Coke Vanilla.

M: Thick and syrupy, the sort of mouthfeel I'd look for in a heavy, dessert-style stout. This is offset a bit by the rich, solventy alcohol aftertaste, but in total honesty this does more right than wrong. And I'm pleased that the brewery recognized that this is best sold in a small bottle.

O: I'll be kind and call this abysmal.

3.82/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into new glarus glassware.

A: Pours a dark, basically black syrupy brown. A few clear bubbles on the pour that gradually gathered into the thinnest of a tan head layer.

S: A mysterious but powerful sweetness the shows itself but also proves not too aromatic with a nice layer of fine coffee.

T: I love sweetness, I love big sweet stouts, but I have to agree with others that even as a dessert the sweetness in this maybe a little too much. The sweetness is almost unidentifiable, closer to melted sugars and syrups than anything. The coffee has great character (almost kopi luwakish) and I think is is a great addition to the beer. I think if they could play down the sweetness a little and play up the coffee a bit with a decent, minor, third note they would have something very special with this beer.

M: thick and syrupy but exactly what you'd expect and as good as you can do to support the flavors.

O: They aren't joking, this really is a dessert in itself. I had my girlfriend try this, and she immediately wanted to mix it with milk (honestly, while I typically would never consider such blasphemous actions against a beer, it might work well with this). Something is missing, and something is a little too much in this beer. Great potential, I hope they tweak this with more editions to come.

4.54/5  rDev +26.8%

Sweet Horizon is something very interesting. After enjoying the Dark Horizon 2nd edition a while ago, I heard that my local shop got the 3rd Edition, the Sweet and the Red all on the same day. I stopped in a grabber one of each and put them all in the fridge. I chose the Sweet Horizon first because it sounded better to me than the Red. I opened the tiny bottle and poured it out. This stuff was very black in color with a very thin brown head. No lacing on the glass besides some of the brown tinge from the thick black goop in the glass. The smell was very stunning, it was very strong with coffee, molasses, vanilla, brown sugar and some smoked wood aromas. Probably even more but how much can one nose take? The taste was so sweet like a dessert, infact that's all this beer is. Savor the flavors with each sip, it's worth letting this one coat the mouth and just ride it out. The mouthfeel I thought was pretty good for this beer. It's sticky and semi-thick, like syrup. Overall I loved this beer, I found it to be very enjoyable. I see a lot of people don't agree which is fine, to each his/her own. If you do get this, drink it alone. Not with a meal or with a dessert, just have it as your dessert or night cap and I think you'll be pretty pleased.

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

You got exactly what was advertised with this little bottle. A big sweet stout that is best consumed as desert. I polished the whole thing off myself, which is something that I would not attempt again. I think that 1/3rd of the 8.5 oz bottle would have been adequate. This beer is very good in small doses, but way too much for one person. This was like drinking a fine confection. If you can't see past the sweetness, you won't appreciate it. this is special occasion beer.

Sweet Horizon from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S