Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

Added by TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

Reviews by ATLbeerDog:
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours like coca-cola but with less carbonation. The beer was almost entirely flat. Smells like age with sherry notes, dark overly ripe plums, figs, raisins, and booze. First sip is like biting into a fermented fig-newton…not just the filling but the cookie too. The taste mirrors the aroma but with more booze. What a sweetness bomb. Just a little coffee present as I am guessing this puppy was very different when fresh. As it warms, a tad more coffee appears adding to a finish that turns from overly sweet to slightly bitter. The 100 IBU seems to have also eased over time. The 15.5% ABV is not hidden at all and is right there with you sip after sip. I like the complexity and will not penalize this beer for not being fresh.

1.64/5  rDev -53.5%

Appearance: pours a nice black color with a beige head. Sadly that is where the pleasant feelings end.

Smell: smells like smoke and diabetes. Tragically sweet aroma. I actually want to throw up a little bit just by smelling this beer. There are some good components going on - I get hints of coffee and chocolate along with the smoke - it's just too difficult to actually enjoy them behind the sickly sweet aroma.

Taste: my god this is actually the sweetest anything I've ever consumed. I thought southern tier creme brûlée was sweet, then I drank this. I hate it. I can't drink it. Why did I pay this much money for this?

Mouthfeel: sweet. Very thick. Kind of like drinking Aunt Jemima syrup.

Overall: literally the most disappointed I've ever been in a beer and the most horrifically sweet beverage I've ever tasted. I should also say that I'm usually not too thrown off by very sweet beers. Overall, I enjoyed Southern Tier Creme Brulee (and actually thought the sweetness was more restrained than I anticipated given what I had heard prior). I loved Founders Big Lushious. I like Dark Lord. But this? This is just so far beyond palatable that I can't comprehend how anyone would enjoy it. Given that it is aged almost 5 years at this point, maybe it got sweeter over time? (although logic tells me that the sweetness should have actually mellowed)...

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%

Rating No. 2,700 on RateBeer.

Thanks to my brother for sending this beer my way. This was drank alongside the 2nd edition.

The beer pours a deep black color with a tan head. Absolutely no light is getting through this beer. The aroma is full of coffee and chocolate with some roasted malt. It smells a lot like the 2nd edition.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with a few changes. The main flavor I get is chocolate and bourbon. Unlike the 2nd edition, this beer has a big coffee note in the flavor which really compliments the other two major components. The alcohol is actually fairly well hidden, although you can definitely tell it is there. Overall, the beer is very sweet and would make it tough to drink too much of this beer.

Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

The big difference between the 2nd and 3rd editions of this beer is the addition of the big coffee notes in the 3rd edition. For this reason, I feel the 3rd edition is a better beer.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

This might be my first or second online review, but I've tasted upwards of 1000 beers, most of them dark. Seeing this rated so poorly was surprising, because I would consider this the best beer I have ever tasted, replacing the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout which had previously taken that title (and then, only for greatest stout).

Opening the tin, I was hit by a sweet smell right away, so I knew this would be a sweet beer. Pours an oily black, with a slight chocolate-brown head. Nose is sugar, alcohol, heavy malt, and chocolate.

I expect little to no carbonation, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's soft, but definitely present. Medium to thick mouth feel and incredibly complex. This may be one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted, and the friend next to me agrees. They really went overboard with this one. The coffee and chocolate is perfectly balanced unlike in some of the best coffee/chocolate stouts, probably due in part to the huge sugar presence. The sweetness lingers, as well as a hundred different flavors. Truly the best beer I have ever had, but I can see this disappointing those who can't take the sweetness, or prefer beers with more hop character.

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle

Pour It Black
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Black pour with dark brown edges and a very thin light brown head. There's not a lot of visible carbonation and it leaves the glass oily.

The aroma is powerful and very, very sweet. There's lots of melted chocolate, molasses, simple sugar syrup, and mild roast component throughout.

The flavor is incredibly sweet, and thus, particularly out of balance. The flavor comes in waves of molasses, toffee, melted chocolate, and sugar cookies. The onslaught does not stop. Incredibly sweet and certainly a sipper.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation and a touch hot with alcohol. The body of the beer is somewhat oily.

Far too sweet to drink in any quantity.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

250 ml is small, 2 people max on this one. Beautiful cannister, wrapping. Thick pour, one sixteenth of head on black body. Big roast aroma. Way too sugary for me, like 3 tablespoons of sugar in the coffee. Thick, ladies liquor.Cannot taste the alcohol behind the sugar.
Had again several weeks later with the same impression.

3.87/5  rDev +9.6%

A couple of bubbles on the surface. Opaque dark brown.

Nose is heavy in coffee and leafy. I don't associate the leaves as hops, but they probably are.

Thick and syrupy sweet. Lots of coffee and actually a fair hop presence but it's so skewed towards sweet that it shouldn't count. Trace of soy or seaweed.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable, pretty average.

This is impressively sweet-- a dessert beer for sure and in spite of the 100ish IBU rating, it is sweet more than enough to match.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

8.5oz bottle, with its own fancy carrying case

Thank god this was only 8.5oz - who could possibly drink more of this? No carbonation - very syrupy, soy sauce, teryaki, bitter coffee. Cloyingly sweet, molasses, booze and more booze. Batch 1 of this was solid (and a whale) - what the hell happened to this beer?

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

8.5 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Jet black. Opaque. Thin tan head with moderate retention. Some lacing.

Aroma-Smells like coffee, chocolate, brown sugar, rum, and alcohol. Serious alcohol. No hops. Not bad, but not incredible.

Flavor-Extremly sweet up front-coffee, chocolate, mocha, and some caramel. Dries very quickly to peppery, slightly hot alcohol flavors. It's good, but it would be much better if aged for a couple years to mellow out the alcohol,

Mouthfeel-Medium full body, medium low carbonation. Alcohol is somewhat hot and harsh. Could use some aging.

This is good, but I don't think it's worth the pricetag. If aged for a few years, the alcohol would mellow out and this would be a tasty beer, but if I were to factor the price in, I would rate this a fair degree lower.

4.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is like an albino russian imperial stout, and by that I mean it's dark, but you can still see some light through it.

If you like the scent of barbecue and terriyaki, you will enjoy smelling this beer over and over. The smoke from the malt is present, and blankets a meaty, sweet barbecue aroma that I am finding fantastic. I don't care that it is a beer and that this is unusual for beer, I care that it is awesome! Oh, and after all these years you can still get a little coffee; the peppery aroma from coffee is there among the smorgasbord.

M is for mmmm. I like sweet beers, so I really like this one. Beyond that it also sits my tongue down and tells it a story about a little coffee bean that went to a barbecue party and tasted many wonderful smokey concoctions and went home with a thorough coating of smoke and barbecue residue. I taste molasses, light vinegar, dark fruit, and coffee.

The viscosity is pleasant, like a stout, but pleasantly mellowed by the aging process.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

Glad I finally got to try one of these. Kinda expensive for such a small bottle.

Pours a super black with no head. No lacing.

Aroma is pretty interesting. Smells sweet and roasty with some sort of hops. Can't put my finger on it.

Wow taste is way too sweet. I thought for the size of the bottle I would be able to kill this by myself for sure. Wrong. It's hard to out down. But it's not just sweet. It has some flavor I'm assuming is some sort of spice. I can't put my finger on what it is. There is too much going on in this beer. If it was less sweet though I could easily drink it. Wish they listed some of the ingrediance in the bottle so I could pick them out.

Mouthfeel is cloying. Needs some more carb too.

Overall this beer is way too much. Hopefully my buddy gets home soon so he can drink some of this so I don't waste $17.

2.34/5  rDev -33.7%

A worthwhile effort that fell REALLY short....really, really, really short. Sweet to the extreme, syrupy and boozy to boot. Looked nice on the pour, but had no head whatsoever even though I tried to get one out of it. Lots of fruitiness on the nose, dark and sticky. The taste just blasts you with sugar. I offered a sip to the 4 other people in the room and each one had the same reaction, scrunching up their face and stating "yuck"....across the board. At $13 a pop (8.5 oz?!?) this should have been the best beer I had all month. It was the worst one I've had all year. The marketing however is great...damn you Nogne...

3.67/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 8.5 oz. capped bottle (No Date) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a faint dusting of off-white head that disappears nearly as quickly as it formed, leaving only a thin foam ring. The body is a dark brown, similar in color to the bottle from which it was poured. Light seems incapable of penetrating the thick body. Very little lacing can be seen throughout consumption with literally none standing the tests of time or gravity.

The first recognizable aroma is concentrated soy sauce with hints of teriyaki sauce. A strong alcohol aroma makes sure to sting the nostrils at the end of each sniff. Digging deeper reveals lots of dark fruit notes, including plum and raisin. Also noticeable is molasses and vanilla. The nose is certainly deep and complex, but not necessarily enjoyable.

Sweet dark fruit flavors impact the tongue immediately, giving notes of sour grapes, bruised peaches, fig, and raisin. Swirling the beer around the mouth allows these flavors to come out a bit more but also calls forth flavors of dark chocolate, fudge, molasses, and caramel. Swallowing the beer brings forth a stampede of sugary sweetness, like the last sip of a neglected coffee that had too much sugar added and hadn't been stirred in a while. This is soon followed by an overpowering alcohol heat that envelops the entire mouth, laying waste to all the previous flavors. As this quickly fades, the flavor of semi-melted sugar reemerges and lingers on the palate between sips.

The body is nearly as thick as motor oil. It is sticky and messy, like the syrup from a jar of maraschino cherries. The sugary sweetness coats your mouth and remains there indefinitely. The carbonation is not overly noticeable but definitely plays a big role in keeping this beer drinkable. At such a high alcohol, the thick and sticky body is expected and any less carbonation would probably make this beer untouchable.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a deep chocolate brown color, looked a bit thin on the pour. The head was rather small and disipated into a light ring.

Big roasted malt aromas, caramel and coffee are strong as well. Some chocolate notes as well as a light sour berry. There is a touch of a medicinal antiseptic scent which seems to be coming from the alcohol.

Whoa, wasn't expecting this flavor profile, flavor is quite sweet. The taste is sugary sweet with strong coffee flavors, reminds me very much of straight kaluha. There are some chocolate malt notes but these are quickly squashed by the sweetness. Some small rustic, woody notes try to pop through as well as some hop flavor. This beer is screaming for a sweet offset, gets cloying after a while. Notes of sour berry start to arise as the beer warms.

The feel is light to moderate with soft carbonation, sweet on the palate, finishes sticky and fairly slick. The ABV is surprisingly well hidden.

Geez, don't know what to think of this beer but very thankful that it comes in a 8oz bottle. This stout is extremely sweet and cloying. Some roast and hop flavor come through but not nearly enough to offset the sweetness. The flavors aren't bad but you need to drink this beer in small doses. The best part of the beer is when I burp I get a wonderful fresh hop aftertaste, weird.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Drank for breakfast today with scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. Great alternative to coffee! The color is very dark, hardly translucent black with light brown edges that let through just a tad of light. A few tiny bubbles appear after an intense pour from almost a foot above the glass, no head whatsoever. The aromas are not appealing, stale coffe grounds and burnt malt, but the taste says otherwise. The initial flavor is bomarded with sweet coffee liquer. Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth, the high IBU's with a lack of hop flavors masks the alcohol quite well. The finish lingers with sweet licorice notes and an iced coffee coating that clings to your cheeks. Smoky bacon and cheesy eggs work like a champ with this beer, what a breakfast.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S