Dark Horizon 3rd Edition

From:
Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Norway
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Dark Horizon 3rd EditionDark Horizon 3rd Edition
Notes: Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.
View: Beers
Reviews: 114 | Ratings: 206 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by JohneHoodlum:
JohneHoodlum from Pennsylvania

Dec 08, 2011
emyers from Illinois

1.64/5  rDev -54.4%

Appearance: pours a nice black color with a beige head. Sadly that is where the pleasant feelings end.

Smell: smells like smoke and diabetes. Tragically sweet aroma. I actually want to throw up a little bit just by smelling this beer. There are some good components going on - I get hints of coffee and chocolate along with the smoke - it's just too difficult to actually enjoy them behind the sickly sweet aroma.

Taste: my god this is actually the sweetest anything I've ever consumed. I thought southern tier creme brûlée was sweet, then I drank this. I hate it. I can't drink it. Why did I pay this much money for this?

Mouthfeel: sweet. Very thick. Kind of like drinking Aunt Jemima syrup.

Overall: literally the most disappointed I've ever been in a beer and the most horrifically sweet beverage I've ever tasted. I should also say that I'm usually not too thrown off by very sweet beers. Overall, I enjoyed Southern Tier Creme Brulee (and actually thought the sweetness was more restrained than I anticipated given what I had heard prior). I loved Founders Big Lushious. I like Dark Lord. But this? This is just so far beyond palatable that I can't comprehend how anyone would enjoy it. Given that it is aged almost 5 years at this point, maybe it got sweeter over time? (although logic tells me that the sweetness should have actually mellowed)...

Jul 30, 2015
Zachtheporter from Wisconsin

Jul 17, 2013
BMMillsy from Florida

3.36/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from The Wine Seller in a neat little can sleeve. A bit pricey. Pours dark black with very little head at all. Aroma of wet dog and booze, some roast. This one comes on hot! Very warming on the palate with some burnt chocolate and musty wet-dog like booze. Heavy on the palate, low carbonation, bordering on a dark barleywine flavor. This was okay, but a bit much for me even though I tend to enjoy stronger beers. Tough to choke down more than an ounce or two.

May 09, 2012

Hopheadjeffery from Illinois

Aug 05, 2013
BaltimoreBeerLover from Maryland

4.79/5  rDev +33.1%

I felt obligated to write a review myself after reading such piss-poor reviews of the beer.

I am under the impression that the quote from the can which reads "...we cannot tell you what it tastes like. You are the boss of your own senses!" rings very true for this beer.

Intoxicating aroma of dark fruit, chocolate, and coffee. All the commonplace stout aromas, however, much more prevalent is brown sugar and molasses with a touch of tobacco. Almost no carbonation, both in appearance and taste.

Taste is like subdued maple syrup, but in a good way. Sticky, with a thin mouthfeel, not chewy. Reminds me of Founders CBS because having both make you not want to finish the beer just for the sake of continually smelling the glass.

Personally I'm a huge fan of ports and meads, and this is very reminiscent of those beverages, so to me this beer was delicious. If you don't have a sweet tooth, you may not want to shell out for this. I got mine for $25 so not cheap for a single 8.5 oz bottle.

Easily placing this In my top 10 of imperial stouts.

Apr 17, 2016
GABrew from Georgia

Mar 17, 2014
frothy_80 from Missouri

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Looked good. No trace of carbonation. Post fermented wort has more carbonation than this. The smell had a little coffee and chocolate. Everything else about this beer is boozy, cloyingly sweet, and syrupy. Very limited review, because after one sip I had to pour it down the drain. Is this brewery that inconsistent with its' product or did they just turn a blind eye to a bad batch? They need to have a warning on the label, "1 in 5 bottles are horrible, hope you choose wisely."

Nov 24, 2015

svenness from Arizona

Nov 02, 2014
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On the "1001" and a lot of people seem to think it doesn't deserve to be there. I thought it interesting when I drank it, but clearly too strong.

Jun 16, 2016
WanderingFool from Massachusetts

Dec 25, 2013
Phyl21ca from Canada

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a dark brown color head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with notes of black chocolate and light coffee is quite enjoyable though also quite intense. Taste is sweeter then anticipated with some black chocolate notes and some light liquorice notes as well. Body is full with an oily texture with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol which is somewhat surprising considering the ABV. More of a sipper then something I would drink on a regular basis.

Sep 02, 2011