Dark Horizon 3rd Edition | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

Added by TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

This might be my first or second online review, but I've tasted upwards of 1000 beers, most of them dark. Seeing this rated so poorly was surprising, because I would consider this the best beer I have ever tasted, replacing the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout which had previously taken that title (and then, only for greatest stout).

Opening the tin, I was hit by a sweet smell right away, so I knew this would be a sweet beer. Pours an oily black, with a slight chocolate-brown head. Nose is sugar, alcohol, heavy malt, and chocolate.

I expect little to no carbonation, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's soft, but definitely present. Medium to thick mouth feel and incredibly complex. This may be one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted, and the friend next to me agrees. They really went overboard with this one. The coffee and chocolate is perfectly balanced unlike in some of the best coffee/chocolate stouts, probably due in part to the huge sugar presence. The sweetness lingers, as well as a hundred different flavors. Truly the best beer I have ever had, but I can see this disappointing those who can't take the sweetness, or prefer beers with more hop character.

It has been a long time since I have been impressed by a beer and this one has done it!

Pours very dark with little head.
Aroma is sweet with a hidden earthiness form the hops.

15.5% and 100 IBUs

The 100 IBUs are well hidden by the exquisite balance of the roasted malts. Quite sweet but, not overpowering (the high hop content helps balance this). Overall very balanced for being such a big beer. The coffee flavour adds a nice dimension witout competing with the other flavors.

Everyone tonight that tried this beer was overwhelmed. Even those who traditionally don't like big beers enjoyed the complexities that this beer offered.

This is my first beer by Nogne and I can't wait to get my hands on more.

4.92/5  rDev +41%

A: well carbonated, dark brown head, not foamy. receded to lace on initial pour. completely opaque black body-- onyx with a hint of light touching the periphery

S: coffee, fruit (cherries, raisins, plums), chocolate, biscuits, with a touch of hop. Incredibly complex, finishing with a hint of heat on the tail end.

T: first sip is chocolate chip cookies with a heaping espresso coat. second shows more fruit. each sip is a bit different depending on size and duration of swig.

M: silky smooth, traces of heat. leaves a sweet coating in the mouth. less carbonation than expected.

D: just an amazing beer. I tend to shy away from calling a beer something I would drink every day, but this qualifies if it were possible.

One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.89/5  rDev +40.1%

This beer is crazy little SOB.

It comes out of the bottle like a dark brown motor oil accompanied by a thin tan head.

The nose took me by surprise. Initially there are the stereotypical stout notes: coffee, chocolate and vanilla but let it warm up and all you can smell is intense citrus hops, like opening a new package of chinook hops from the homebrew store. I don't like to drink stout cold so I waited for this moment to drink any of it.

Rich chocolate with caramel hits your mouth with light hints of coffee and vanilla. There is next to no hop character on the pallet but when you smell it, you would think you're about to taste an IPA. Its a crazy dichotomy that works for this little strong guy. The heat really isn't present at all which is impressive for a 15.5% beer.

The mouthfeel is as rich as it looks, full bodied (39 degrees plato) with a little bit of carbonation that tingles the pallet.

This beer was given to a friend of mine by a guy visiting the brewery he works at in trade for some stuff in the reserve room. Amazing beer if you can get your hands on it.

4.87/5  rDev +39.5%

TheBeerCarl (below) whom shared in this adventure gave a great summary. I would however note:

The appearance was the only non-perfect aspect here. Nothing to distinguish it from the oily and viscous Darkness consumed before (perhaps slightly more opaque), or many other BIG stouts. Not perfect, but excellent.

I found the hops to play more evenly on the nose and palate, with more of a rich herbal contribution to the heavy choco-coffee and crazy malt complexity. There is an interesting earthy/stone note that brings the extra wow.

I found the mouthfeel to be one of the most amazing aspects. Like melting chocolate in your mouth. For the high ibu's, no abrasiveness, just silky and mouthcoating.

Just huge thick stuff that I couldn't get enough of. So damn good that you want to savor each little sip, and hence, an amazingly high drinkability. Just begs for more to slowly enjoy.

I. Need. More.

4.85/5  rDev +39%

Obtained from Green's on Piney Grove Road in Columbia, SC. Kudos to the staff for bringing this offering to our jurisdiction.

Appearance - Poured a deep dark brown/black. A nice tan head formed upon the intial pour, with moderate lacing forming on the sides of my DFH snifter. The head resolves to a nice ring with support from below obvious. Can't see through this bad boy.

Smell - Caramel nose jumps at you with a somewhat sweet malty backbone showing through as well. Some aroma hops gracing the table but not to distraction. Toasty/bready warm an inviting nose. Lovely depth, it appears, to follow.

Taste - Lush/bold in your face chocolate/coffee presence. Wow, this caught me off-guard. As the song says, "breathe deep...", for this is something to savor. Small sips lead to explosions of coffee and chocolate flavor profiles. Caramel and toffee round out the middle. Outstanding peppery/hop bite at the end lead to a cleansing finish that strips the lush flavors from your tongue, so you can start all over again.

Mouthfeel - Again, rich and lush. So complex and dense it's like you are chewing on your beer (in a good way). Ample carbonation. Doesn't detract or overdo, very much adds as appropriate.

Drinkability - 15.5% ABV? Where?? This is a dangerous offering from several standpoints. This is the smallest Dark Horizon offering in the three years they have been making this available, yet is priced accordingly. This is the best Dark Horizon so far. After not being impressed at all with 2nd edition, this not only puts them back on track, but exceeds their 1st edition benchmark. Buy all you can. I did.

4.79/5  rDev +37.2%

I felt obligated to write a review myself after reading such piss-poor reviews of the beer.

I am under the impression that the quote from the can which reads "...we cannot tell you what it tastes like. You are the boss of your own senses!" rings very true for this beer.

Intoxicating aroma of dark fruit, chocolate, and coffee. All the commonplace stout aromas, however, much more prevalent is brown sugar and molasses with a touch of tobacco. Almost no carbonation, both in appearance and taste.

Taste is like subdued maple syrup, but in a good way. Sticky, with a thin mouthfeel, not chewy. Reminds me of Founders CBS because having both make you not want to finish the beer just for the sake of continually smelling the glass.

Personally I'm a huge fan of ports and meads, and this is very reminiscent of those beverages, so to me this beer was delicious. If you don't have a sweet tooth, you may not want to shell out for this. I got mine for $25 so not cheap for a single 8.5 oz bottle.

Easily placing this In my top 10 of imperial stouts.

4.75/5  rDev +36.1%

4.57/5  rDev +30.9%

Dark Horizon (3rd edition)! Bottle bought at Whole Foods Tribeca for $13.99 plus tax. Pricey, sure, but so glad I found this beer (which I didn't even know existed, and is available nowhere else in NYC).

Appearance: Dark Horizon the 3rd pours fluid and calmly, more like a sherry or port than a beer. Only a slim rim for a head, and even this disappears soon. This is flat, still and ominous. Black, thick, impenetrable.

Smell: Wow! This could easily be the best-smelling coffee stout. EVER. Acrid, natural coffee- picture just-picked beans lying on a rustic burlap sack in Indonesia while the farmer smokes a hand-rolled cigarillo that further perfumes the coffee harvest. Yeah. Also smoke and cured ham/bacon, a farm in Appalachia manned by part-time coal miners. Intense! Man, I love it when a beer smells like this... it triggers the memory and the imagination. Liquorice and booze to round it all up, plus some mysterious sweetness I can't quite pin down.

Taste: My initial sip catches me unguarded and makes me grimace. What kind of fuckery is this!? The nose did not prepare me for the taste... but a second sip and I'm ready for more. Sure, this is sweet and then some, but in a good way. A roasty-smoky sweetness, like a wacky liquid dessert created in the kitchens of WD-50. More ham and nourishing taste. Cold coffee with tons of cream and sugar. Wood, barbeque, burning paper. A tad of honey, reminds me of being at the kiva of Picuris Pueblo in New Mexico. Wilderness. Oh my! I am in love.

Mouthfeel: No carbonation, but fine. Full body and flavor, super delicious booze. A little too dry, if anything.

Overall: I ran out of beer before the mouthfeel and could have used another 8 ounces to properly finish my review. Sure, this is super hot and boozy, but oh so delicious!! And for 15.5%, not that crazy, really... if it were cheaper, I would buy again in an instant.

4.55/5  rDev +30.4%

The beer is dark, dark brown, a small tan head, no lacing and good curtains.

The smell is obtrusive, dark roasted coffee, dark fruits, candy sugar.

A big sweet surprise, candy sugar, caramel, marzipan, coffee, raisins, fig marmalade, dark chocolate.

Little carbonation, oily and sticky, a big fat body, a warm fuzzy feeling.

This is the ultimate dessert, much better than most other stuff you get.

4.54/5  rDev +30.1%

On-tap 4/16/2011 at Armsby Abbey in Worcester served in an over-sized wine glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, short beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains rich dark chocolate, robust roasted malts and some coffee.

T: The taste starts out with a hearty roasted malt character and a strong chocolate flavor. There is some coffee and dark fruit in the background. The hops presence is very mild but complementary. There’s a strong alcohol sting that mysteriously lessens as you continue to sip the beer (and it’s just because the effect of the strong alcohol). The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth with some crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent high-powered big stout to sip on for a long time.

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a dark brown color head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with notes of black chocolate and light coffee is quite enjoyable though also quite intense. Taste is sweeter then anticipated with some black chocolate notes and some light liquorice notes as well. Body is full with an oily texture with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol which is somewhat surprising considering the ABV. More of a sipper then something I would drink on a regular basis.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S