Dark Horizon 3rd Edition | Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Norway
nogne-o.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

Added by TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

3.35/5  rDev -4%

Shared this beer with papaeugene and channan.
Look: dark black with a small brown head.
Smell: Cane sugar, malts, alcohol and coffee.
Taste: Sugar sugar sugar sugar and sugar, with hints of coffee, malts and chocolate.
Mouthfeel: medium-low carbonation, thick mouthfeel
Overall: After drinking the dark horizon version 1, I had quite high expectation of this one. Unfortunately, all that remained was disappointment. This beer is horrible unbalanced and sweet. Less sugar next time please.

4.32/5  rDev +23.8%

Blind BIF #5, Beer #6 courtesy of abraxel.

A-Deep dark brown to black with just a little pool of tan head and no lacing at all.

S-Wow, that's boozy! Hot caramel, bourbon, toasted marshmallow, vanilla beans. Bring it on!

T-Hot hot hot! Sweet warm and boozy, bourbon balls, vanilla, caramel. Boy do I like this. Glad it's a 12 oz, though.

M-Medium bodied, lingering sweet heat. Very nice indeed.

O-Well, this is right up my alley. Delicious, warm, tasty, rich and wonderful.

My guess: uh, bourbon barrel aged imperial stout? If it's anything else, I could not guess.

The answer: Dark Horizon 3. Who knew Nogne O bottled in 8.5 oz (good idea, though). No barrel I guess, but that 15.5% ABV came from somewhere.

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Inky dark and no light gets through it, with fine, soft-looking bubbles. Very typical of a Russian Imperial Stout. A little sediment towards the bottom of the glass.

S - Molasses, burnt sugar, coffee, and chicory.

T - Very sweet up front with flavors just like it smells, with the burnt sugar and earthy chicory root being prominent as well as a bit of spice. A little hot because of the high ABV, but the strong flavors counteract the alcohol. Not too much actual malt or hop flavors coming through and far too sweet for a proper Russian Imp Stout, but I'm judging this not on traditional stylistic lines since it's an experimental brew. The coffee comes through more prominently in the aftertaste.

M - Syrupy and a bit hot in the mouth and throat, but soft-textured. Lingers around on the back of the tongue. Not at all what one would expect for a Russ Imp Stout mouthfeel, but it's about what I expected given the deep, heavy sweet body.

Overall - I'd say it's definitely a unique and creative brew, but I think it would've benefitted from some fine tuning and tweaking in the brewery before being released. It's missing something in the smell, balance in the taste, and less syrup in the mouthfeel. I count the 2nd Edition among the best stouts I've ever tried, but this 3rd edition doesn't quite meet the hype.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Enjoyed this 8.5 oz bottle that came wrapped in orange paper inside of a tin can.

A: Dark black with a trace wispy brown lace that quickly dissipates.

S: Strong roasted malt aroma with mild hints of coffee and chocolate.

T: Booze hits you like a punch to the face. Strong syrupy sweet taste with flavors of dark roasted malts, fruits, and coffee. Very sweet from beginning to end – more than
I expected.

M: Very strong and boozy. Heavy body and minimal carbonation

O: This is a sipping beer if I ever had one beer @ 15.5%. The strong alcohol throw it off balance a bit and it is a little too boozy and expensive for me.

4.42/5  rDev +26.6%

A: rubber sticker atop a black cap. Pours to the globe a dark brown opaque ale with a single finger of graham head. This falls in a minute or two to a broken sheet of the same. Spotty lacing. Appears medium bodied with slight legs. (4.0)

S: Plenty of cocoa and milk chocolate tones are braided with some anise, dark fruits and hints of spicy yeast and some coffee. Nutmeg and allspice alongside cinnamon muddled in butter. Yum! (4.5)

T: whoa, much sweeter than I had anticipated. The coffee is still here, but the fruits take hold midway through. This is interesting. Some hints of teriyaki. Raspberry? I think Iike it, but feel like it should be served in a port glass as a compliment to a gluten free, dark chocolate cake. As it warms, some leather and tobacco tones. Man, this is rich. (4.5)

M: Medium to viscous. Low to medium carbonation. Finish is mouth-watering and I immediately want another sip, not drink, sip. A little heat from alcohol - guessing ABV is up there (dub digits). (4)

O: I really am enjoying this beer. I wish it was a 6oz pour, I had an hour and a half to drink it, a nice glass of scotch on the rocks and an oily maduro cigar coincide the resonance of this one. I feel like this beer is a gamble for many, but a home run for me. (4.5)

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle from Alko in Helsinki. From notes.

A - Poured a black and opaque colour with a one finger kahaki head. Slight lacing was left with a ring of head on the sides left too.

S - Coffee and sugars are quite obvious. Coffee dominates heavily and that's really all there is there.

T - Tons of sweet fruity malt, some licorice, alcohol, and tons of chocolate. Oddly I can't get any coffee.

M - Chewy with mild carbonation and a sweet lingering finish.

O/D - I can see myself getting into this. A fairly good beer. Sweet but balanced and complex. Not too bad.

2.46/5  rDev -29.5%

8.5oz bottle, heavy pour into a snifter.
Deep, dark black with a half inch of head, minimal lacing.
Nice dark malts and coffee head up the smell, earthy background.
The Norse must LOVE sugar, because that's most of what I taste. There is some coffee and chocolate, but it is significantly overpowered by sugar. No hint of the huge ABV, which is nice. Mouth is sweet and sticky.
More sugar than you can shake a stick at. Note to brewer, less sweet please... Same goes for Red Horizon.

3.76/5  rDev +7.7%

8.5oz bottle courtesy of rlmartin. Into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown with absolutely no head, just a slight ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Completely opaque. This beer has some legs to it. For a huge stout, its not bad, but I would like at least some semblance of a head.

S: Huge amount of coffee in the nose, tons of roasted barley, and a bit of soy sauce, not quite Dark Lord or SATB, but just a hint of soy. A little bit of booze on the end. Quite a bit of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Wow, way sweet, like liquid brown sugar with a bit of coffee mixed in with it. Quite a bit of coffee on the finish, there's definitely not the advertized 100ibu that the label notes, the only bitterness I detect is from the roasted barley and coffee. A bit of milk chocolate in there. This is definitely one of the sweeter beers, I've ever had, but the roasted barley and huge coffee throughout save it from being a complete mess. Some booze, but not as much as I figured.

M: Slightly heavy, though not overly thick though. Medium carbonation and sticky sweet on the finish. Warms the whole way down, not terribly hot for a 15.5% beer.

O: Its just a bit too sweet. It's got a lot of flavors that I really like, the coffee note is awesome, the brown sugar/molasses mixed with water on the finish is just a bit too sweet for what I want in a big stout. Booze is subdued, but definitely there. I'm really torn on this beer. Hmmm. Decent beer, but there's better stouts out there.

3.27/5  rDev -6.3%

Comes in a tin that hides the smaller-than-expected bottle. Oh well, my fault for not reading that it was an 8.5 on the tin.

It pours flat, dark brown with no head whatsoever and little signs of carbonation. The smell is of coffee liqueur with hints of dark fruit, chocolate and a minor touch of smoke. It smells sweet and it is sweet...cloyingly so. It leaves a syrupy layer on your lips...not good. On the tongue, the coffee is still the main component, but as in the smell it comes off as coffee liqueur with vanilla and chocolate syrups, and that touch of smoke is still back there. So it's full of flavor, but if the smoke were a larger part of the overall flavor profile I think it would have gone a long way to balancing out the sweetness. Instead it hides and whimpers, clutching its knees to its chest wondering why the sugars are so mean to it. This is the first Nogne 0 that I didn't really like all that much.

4.92/5  rDev +41%

A: well carbonated, dark brown head, not foamy. receded to lace on initial pour. completely opaque black body-- onyx with a hint of light touching the periphery

S: coffee, fruit (cherries, raisins, plums), chocolate, biscuits, with a touch of hop. Incredibly complex, finishing with a hint of heat on the tail end.

T: first sip is chocolate chip cookies with a heaping espresso coat. second shows more fruit. each sip is a bit different depending on size and duration of swig.

M: silky smooth, traces of heat. leaves a sweet coating in the mouth. less carbonation than expected.

D: just an amazing beer. I tend to shy away from calling a beer something I would drink every day, but this qualifies if it were possible.

One of the best beers I've ever had.

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Unexpectedly stumbled across this bottle tonight and fell from the cool looking tin packing once again. Having had both previous editions and really, really enjoying the 1st edition and somewhat digging the second, it seemed natural to want to continue the series.

8.5 ounce bottle into a snifter. Syrupy reddish brown with nary a mentionable head to speak of.

Scent is harsh and cluttered, but not necessarily unpleasant. Boozy maple syrup, dark fruits, ash, vanilla, and acrid smoky coffee. It's a middle school dance in a glass. A mix of good and bad intentions and a whole lot of confusion.

A dentist's nightmare. So very sweet and syrupy and sugary. Most of the nose is smashed down hard by a bag of sweetener atop a base of oily, oily slick burnt coffee prune surprise. Aftertaste is Coffeemate.

Mouthfeel is so very artificially sweet and sugary. The lack of carbonation just allows the beer to coat the mouth and hang around long after the required stay time.

Oddly, I don't hate this, but I don't really enjoy it that much either. I waded through the entire bottle and found enough redemption to finish it, but enough pure evil to reconsider cellaring a bottle. I will say that I did not find the alcohol to be over the top as many previous reviews have stated.

It has been a long time since I have been impressed by a beer and this one has done it!

Pours very dark with little head.
Aroma is sweet with a hidden earthiness form the hops.

15.5% and 100 IBUs

The 100 IBUs are well hidden by the exquisite balance of the roasted malts. Quite sweet but, not overpowering (the high hop content helps balance this). Overall very balanced for being such a big beer. The coffee flavour adds a nice dimension witout competing with the other flavors.

Everyone tonight that tried this beer was overwhelmed. Even those who traditionally don't like big beers enjoyed the complexities that this beer offered.

This is my first beer by Nogne and I can't wait to get my hands on more.

2.34/5  rDev -33%

A worthwhile effort that fell REALLY short....really, really, really short. Sweet to the extreme, syrupy and boozy to boot. Looked nice on the pour, but had no head whatsoever even though I tried to get one out of it. Lots of fruitiness on the nose, dark and sticky. The taste just blasts you with sugar. I offered a sip to the 4 other people in the room and each one had the same reaction, scrunching up their face and stating "yuck"....across the board. At $13 a pop (8.5 oz?!?) this should have been the best beer I had all month. It was the worst one I've had all year. The marketing however is great...damn you Nogne...

1.61/5  rDev -53.9%

Reviewed from notes:
On tap at Armsby Abbey

A: Pitch black, no head.

S: Sugar (a mix between straight crystal sugar and anise), dark chocolate, espresso, booze. Lots of booze. You can smell the heat.

T: Did someone spill splenda in my beer? Sickly sweet. Make me want to puke, sweet. Can't drink more than an ounce or two, sweet. While the chocolate and coffee are quite strong with a bit of dark fruits, there's just WAY too much sweetness and booze. The best description I can give is this: concentrated mocha syrup spiked with grain alcohol and solvent. Disgusting.

M: Extremely thick and oily, no carbonation. Absolutely no carbonation to speak of. It's like drinking maple syrup, but with a FAR more revolting taste.

O: This could probably become a great beer with work, but as it is, it's undrinkable. There absolutely needs to be carbonation. The sugar sweetness is at turned up to 11, it needs to go down to like 5. I'll be honest, I only got a 2 ounce sample... and I'm glad I did. I could barely finish it. There's no way I could tackle even just 4 ounces of this mess. Way too hot, way too sweet, no carbonation. I'm trying hard to not give this an F.

1.75/5  rDev -49.9%

Poured into a chalice. This has a pretty nice head to it for the strength; about an eighth inch and nice mocha color. The body is dark dark brown.

The aroma is strong of raw vegetables and alcohol. Not very good.

The taste is full of sweet molasses and sugar, followed by alcohol. This is too sweet and too boozy.

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Carbonation is light, but there.

This is not enjoyable. At all. This is a drainpour.

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

Andrewinski1 kindly opened up this tiny bottle to share with me. Thanks! Poured into a tulip. Pours with a nice robust looking dark black body and just a thin bubbly layer of tan foam. Hardly any, but a bit of whispy lace here.

Boozey as all hell in the aroma. Lots of hot alcohol, black sharpies, rubber. I'm trying to find something good here. It does have a good aroma of dark roasty barely and if you can get past the obsinities you can find trace amounts of coffee in the aroma, but it's nothing to write home about here. This simply smells bad. Taste a lot better than it smells, Has a rich caramel flavor with a bit of coffee. It's really boozey and really sweet though. Seriously sweet. I'd love to see it toned down.

Thick and chewy on the feel. Low carbonation here. Overall, this is a huge stout. Insane. When I drink these beers I wonder if they just aren't my bag. But I've had some high abv stouts that I've liked that are well balanced. When it comes down to it I don't think I could even finish a whole bottle of this on my own. I'm glad I split an 8.5 ounce bottle. I really don't think this is worth the heafty price tag.

4.12/5  rDev +18.1%

Well this is my 50th beer review, and I thought it should be a special one, so I grabbed this! Cheers!

Poured from a tiny 8.5oz bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours an extremely dark brown with a 1 finger brown head.

S - Has a strong coffee/espresso aroma, followed by the alcohol smell. I even get notes of black licorice and smokey peat!

T - Woah! Very sweet, smokey, and warming as it goes down. I can taste the backbone of coffee in this, molasses, and some burnt malty notes as well.

M - Full, heavy mouthfeel. Great carbonation.

O - This is a very unique brew. More sweet than I was expecting tho. I'm gonna buy at least one more to cellar for a bit to compare the flavors. The alcohol is very present, but at 15.5% that's what I expected. My only complaint is the price! $10.99 and that's for a little 8.5oz bottle!

4.54/5  rDev +30.1%

On-tap 4/16/2011 at Armsby Abbey in Worcester served in an over-sized wine glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, short beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains rich dark chocolate, robust roasted malts and some coffee.

T: The taste starts out with a hearty roasted malt character and a strong chocolate flavor. There is some coffee and dark fruit in the background. The hops presence is very mild but complementary. There’s a strong alcohol sting that mysteriously lessens as you continue to sip the beer (and it’s just because the effect of the strong alcohol). The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth with some crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent high-powered big stout to sip on for a long time.

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - just a hint of brown at the edges. Short tight tan head.

S - sweet old dried fruit, chocolate, day old coffee and a touch of ash in the finish.

T - liquid sugar. Like you dipped a sugar cube in Mocha coffee then ate it. A bitter liquid dessert.

M - sugar pucker with alcohol burn in throat with a good coating.

O - you really have to sip this, but you don't really want to finish it.

2.56/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours black with very little head. What carbonation exists tends to be on the fizzy side, as in I can actually hear it. That paper-thin layer of fuzzy bubbles quickly dissipates to a ringlet (can't even call it a crown).

The smell indicates that alcohol and sugar are battling for dominance, with no quarter given. With such a high ABV, I'm not surprised to smell the alcohol, but I didn't expect this to smell so sweet. The bottle and tin use the word "coffee", but I can find no sign of it in the nose.

The taste is just as sweet as it smells. Once I get past this, I can taste a few other flavors, including the coffee. The coffee is still disappointing, as it reminds me more of a poorly poured shot of espresso than good joe. Before the coffee there is a hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel is very thin, which I expected as soon as I poured it. I was hoping for a thick and chewy stout, but this is the opposite.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it and I'm tempted to pull out a 2.0 to compare. I have a couple bottles of the 3.0 so I think I will just let them all gather some dust to see what time will do to it. It's totally different from the 2.0 I had a couple years ago and is a bit of a disappointment.

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

25cl bottle thanks to Gregg.

Pours much lighter than I was expecting as it settles in as a deep mahogany with light showing through easily around the edges. There is a small tan head but it doesn't hang around long.

Aroma is burnt chocolate malts and spent espresso grounds. Little bit of smoky/ashy character going on as well, seriously, like a cigarette ashtray. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Harsh nose overall.

Taste is sweeter than the aroma by a long shot, but not more balanced. It's just all over the place with heavy syrupy sweetness, almost like cough syrup with some charred ash and massive fusel alcohol in the finish.

The mouthfeel is scorched earth with ashes and tar mixed with caramelized sugar. Nasty aftertaste.

Overall, this is not my cup of tea or beer for that matter. Harsh stuff all the way around with way too much ashy cigarette and sugary cough syrup. No thank you.

This might be my first or second online review, but I've tasted upwards of 1000 beers, most of them dark. Seeing this rated so poorly was surprising, because I would consider this the best beer I have ever tasted, replacing the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout which had previously taken that title (and then, only for greatest stout).

Opening the tin, I was hit by a sweet smell right away, so I knew this would be a sweet beer. Pours an oily black, with a slight chocolate-brown head. Nose is sugar, alcohol, heavy malt, and chocolate.

I expect little to no carbonation, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's soft, but definitely present. Medium to thick mouth feel and incredibly complex. This may be one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted, and the friend next to me agrees. They really went overboard with this one. The coffee and chocolate is perfectly balanced unlike in some of the best coffee/chocolate stouts, probably due in part to the huge sugar presence. The sweetness lingers, as well as a hundred different flavors. Truly the best beer I have ever had, but I can see this disappointing those who can't take the sweetness, or prefer beers with more hop character.

3.42/5  rDev -2%

Appearance-Pours a nearly black chocoalte brown, doesn't quite have the motor-oil consistency I like to see and there is minimal head but given the ABV I can't really detract for that. It looks solid enough.

Aroma-Big, big, big notes of coffee and darkly roasted malt waft over the palette leaving no mistake as to the character of the beer. The alcohol isn't completely hidden but it's hard not to creep through at this ABV. Less complex than I was expecting.

Taste-Sweet, much sweeter than I was expecting, almost liqueur like. The coffee is difficult to pick out over the overwhelming malty sweetness but it's there if you look for it, it comes through mostly in the aftertaste. This tastes more like a black barleywine than an Imperial Stout, interesting, not what I was expecting. The alcohol heat is definitely there as well.

Mouthfeel-Unfortunately the mouthfeel is kinda thin and with the aforementioned alcohol heat it's not doing much for this beer.

Drinkability/Overall-Well, I can see what they were going for but honestly this beer is very overpriced for what it is and it could've been brewed much better. A bit of a dissapointment.

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a little out of control tonight i had a Mikkeller Barrel aged Breakfast and that led into a '10 KBS into an '11, this is my night cap though. 8.5 oz bottle in a tin with orange vitamin-c supplement scented orange paper.

It pours an oily viscous black with a foamy tan head that recedes quickly but with some nice spotted lacing.

The smell si actually quite fruity with dark fruit and a hint of charcoal. It has an alcoholic twang to it that is un-missable along with some sugary malty scents.

The flavor is super-sweet, much sweeter than the second edition. It brings to mind doppelbocks like Samichlaus or Eku 28. It is a cloyign sweetness and a hint of "soy sauce" it is a roasty, sweet flavor that is so coying it almost tastes like soy sauce. There is plenty of fruitiness and caramel here as well too, though. It certainly has a bit of complexity, but it is extremely sweet. It does have an inkling of roastiness that creeps in as you sip it. It doesn't have a hint of coffee, which i actually sort-of enjoy, though i wish the coffee bitterness could have cut the sweetness.

It is what I would consider a breakfast beer, I would pair this with steak and eggs or bacon and eggs or some weißwurst. It doesn't have alot of coffee flavor but it has this mysterious sweet smokiness to it that I think would pair perfect with breakfast. And it is only a 8.5 oz bottle, though it pack an alcoholic punch.

This beer is interesting, not as ballsy as the previous edition, but intriguing all its own. It isn't for those who can't take cloying sweetness, that is for sure.

3.86/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Dark cola with a think halo of white head.

S - Savory and complex. Big booze, smoke, ancho chili, coriander.

T - Big, boozy-sweet chili flavor up front. Coffee and cream. Honey. Coriander and peat smoke.

M - Medium body with a massive kick of alcohol that leads into a sweet finish. Tuck this one away in a cool place for a few years and let it mellow out.

O - Man what an ambivalent beer. Great taste but the young booze just kicks your butt. Given time, this could be a great beer.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S