Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009) | Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009)Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009)

Olde Hickory Brewery
North Carolina, United States
oldehickorybrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This is a blended collaboration beer from Foothills, Duck Rabbit, and Olde Hickory brewing companies. All three blended their versions of a Russian Imperial Stout and then aged them in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle barrels.

Added by cvstrickland on 12-13-2009

4.2

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

I was fortunate enough to have company visiting from out of town , who doesn't drink beer, so I had her buy 4 bottles and I added those to my allowed 4 bottles. I am so happy that I convinced her to wait in line for over 3 hours in 23-27 degree weather. Pretty risky to buy beer at $20 a bottle and not know what it taste like. It was so WORTH IT!
This beer smells like bourbon on the nose, I personally like that so I don't find it a detractor. The color is dark with a beautiful caramelized brown sugar colored head.
The mouth-feel is heavy but not as thick as a Guinness but hefty nonetheless. The taste is exquisite: hint of dark chocolate giving it a slight bittersweet taste, bourbon without choking on alcohol and overtones of coffee.
This is very drinkable now and probably will be even better with a little age on it.
My husband thinks this is equivalent to Founders' KBS. I have to concur with him on this.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

After having missed the release and then striking out on several attempts at getting my hands on a bottle, I was lucky enough that a few fellow BAs (and North Carolinians) were generous enough to offer up a few bottles and not ask for anything outrageous in return....my glass is raised to scifan and mechamifune....cheers fellows BAs!! And as much as I've wanted to open one of these for the past month or so, I decided to hold off until my birthday....I must say it was well worth the wait.

This was bottle 469 and was poured into a Dogfish tulip. As with most Imperial Stouts, it pours a motor oil black with a one finger tannish head and moderate lacing. The aroma is of dark chocolate, oak, bourbon, and dark fruit (maybe raisins?). The taste follows the aroma with the chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak flavors melding together nicely. The mouthfeel is just what I'm looking for, smooth and creamy, with reasonable carbonation. Goes down with a pleasant bittersweet aftertaste.

It's interesting to see the wide variation in reviews to this brew, so I really wanted to give it a fair review (as I'm sure most BAs do) without any east coast/NC bias. Granted, I haven't had the full arsenal of comparable bourbon-aged imperial stouts and I might not rate this on par with the BCS or KBS, but it is a fine example of the style....it actually reminds me quite a bit of the Speedway Stout, minus the bourbon aging. Kudos to the crew at Olde HIckory, FootHills, and Duck Rabbit..a job well done.

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

A: This beer pours a dark opaque black with a moderate 2 finger head. The cocoa colored head dies after a few minutes and leaves moderate lacing throughout the glass.

S: I was using an oversized snifter for this beer and the aroma was fantastic. It consisted of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, heavy malts and dark fruit. I couldn't stop myself from smelling this beer.

T: The initial taste has roasted malts and a touch of vanilla. As you finish it turns to cocoa and then a sweet vanilla/honey taste. As the beer warms everything seems to blend very well together. A very tasty and fantastic collaboration so far!

M: This is medium bodied and I couldn't detect much heat. I could go through a bomber of this in no time and not feel the effects.

D: I didn't have any problems finishing this beer. I enjoyed letting it sit and trying to figure out which taste profile would change. I highly recommend this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Special Reserve - Bottle 172 of 694
The pour is a dark translucent crimson color..in the glass an opaque darkness with a BIG stiff foamy light tan head that fades slowly leaving sheets of Belgian lacing behind. The primary characteristic of the smell is the bourbon treatment, boozy with an underlying malt baker's chocolate. Full flavored, I'm a huge fan of the bourbon character that dominates the taste, but there are dark chocolate and nicely roasted coffee flavors that compliment each other nicely. Adequately carbonated, the mouth feel is bright and tangy from the booze, without the burn. Not quite creamy smooth but scoring points for complexity. There's a noteworthy sweetness that compliments the drinkability. The texture coats the mouth nicely, but not as much as my favorite examples of this style. The bourbon flavor also dwells nicely into the after experience. REALLY enjoyed considering this one thanks to the Aleuminati. Many thanks..right up there in my all time fav list!!!

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Finally getting a chance to post this from my blackberry notes from last week.
HUGE props to BHalter8 for bringing this bottle to share. Great BA and trading partner.

Needless to say I was excited to try this and as you will soon see, I was not disappointed at all.

The main descriptive from the visual is that there is only a tiny bit of head that forms, then vanishes. No lacing to speak of either. Shiny black in color. The lighting was low in the room we were in so I can't comment on he exact shade of color. Suffice to say, it was very dark and quite glossy.

The aroma initially reminded me of Hershey's syrup from the can. As you continued to explore it the bourbon notes came out and there was nice vanilla and a touch of depth from oak. Smelled great.

This is a beer where every sip provides some different combination of flavors. Chocolate syrup (sweet), cocoa (unsweet), honey, vanilla, some dark fruit.. mostly date. What's interesting is that the consistency front to back while you drink it. I'm not saying it tastes like KTG (not similar at all) but it drinks like it, in that the flavor is so smooth and even through the process of drinking it. (I mean this as a big compliment) Just fantastic.

Velvety and smooth with almost no carbonation. It coated your tongue and attacked your taste buds. Medium to slightly bold body but not syrup like. At first I was warned I might think that it was too thin. I did not perceive this to be an issue. (it's nowhere near as thick as Dark Lord or Abyss)

Supremely drinkable. Thank you sir, may I have another! A special treat to have this one. Just awesome.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

After a very cold but enjoyable 4 hours in line with some fellow BAs and and a supporting girlfriend my anticipation for this was rather high, and it did not disappoint me. I wish now after tasting it, that i was able to acquire more than i did.

Poured from bottle 391 into a snifter.

A: Poured a dark black. About a 1/4 of a dark brown / dark khaki head that fades pretty quickly. You can tell from the pour that this is a well carbonated beer. Not much lacing.

S:The most up front sent for me is the bourben, I can also smell hints of the honey. The dark roast and cocoa make themselves well known and make your mouth water for the first sip.(and all the sips after)

T: The bourben is there but not as in your face as the smell would lead you to expect. It is balanced very well with the taste from the cocoa nibs. Up front there is the delicious bourbon taste from the Pappy barrels. The bourbon becomes more apparent as the beer warms. The bourbon taste subsides and leads to an amazing taste of rich malts and a hint of the honey and vanilla. All this leads up to an amazing cocoa ending which lingers in your mouth long after you have swallowed your sip. This is one of my first beers in this style, and i was very blown away by the amazing complex flavors, yet how well they all blend together and build off of each other. After all that i just realized the 10.13% is very well hidden and if i didn't just stop to think about it i wouldn't know it was there.

M: The carbonation in this beer is perfect in my opinion. It is full bodied, but thinner than i was expecting if that makes sense to anyone but me.

D: While the 10.13% doesn't make it self apparent with the taste, it does in this area. The bottle went down amazing, with part of a glass shared with my family. While i would absolutely love to, i don't know how wise it would be to try to tackle more than one.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Opened on New Years Eve during the tastings of all tastings, finally got a chance to review from notes.
Olde Rabbit's Foot, Kate the Great, Dark Lord, Darkness, Bourbon County Stout, and Vertical of 07-09 Abyss
This was in top three of everyone there
A: Black with a slight hint of dark dark brown.
S:Bourbon, Dark choc, Dark Fruit, Vanilla Oak
T:Similar to Smell, First came the Bourbon, then a little bitterness from the Dark Choc, and ended on a slightly Vanilla Oak, awesome
M:Med-Low Carb., not nearly as thick as BCS, but not a bag thing either, just different
D: By far the most drinkable BAIS that I've had, hid the 10.13% so well I could drink this all night and not get tired of the taste.

Side note: I'm not trying to hate but I can understand the folks who give this a B'ish rating, it just may not be their thing, but trying this in the middle of a Sour's tasting and then giving this a D'ish rating, I mean really, how can you accurately give this a review in the middle of that? I'm just saying, if I had the look of the old Keystone Light commercial guy and tried this or anything else for that matter, I probably wouldn't like it either. I'm hoping you just had a bad bottle and get a chance to try another!
Peace

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Olde Rabbit's Foot is the result of the collaborative efforts of NC Brewers Guild members Olde Hickory Brewery, The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, and Foothills Brewing. Brewmasters Steven Lyerly, Paul Phillipon, Jamie Bartholomaus and their respective brew-crews really outdid themselves with this one. This isn't the hype-train, folks, and I have none of these for sale nor trade... that said...

The 22-ounce bomber bottle numbered 67 of 694 yields its golden crown with a soft hiss, and when poured into my D-R snifter ORF is a true thing of beauty. The brew is clear with an impossibly dark opaque heart, and is trimmed with a twinkle of smoky garnet at the edges. A thin, oily, sticky cap of dirty khaki-colored foam fluffs up before receding, leaving an extremely fine-bubbled smattering of lacing and ribbons of sticky legs clinging to the insides of the glass.

The aroma is rich, black, and bourbony; the 23-year-old Pappy Van Winkle barrels employed in the project really shine through the darkness. Underneath the spiritous aromatic fireworks show lies a layer of bakers' chocolate spiked with vanilla beans, all grounded in a touch of burnt caramel dusted with a liberal sprinkle of dark roast.

The taste is mouth-filling dark chocolate goodness incarnate with plenty of oak, vanilla, and Pappy. I didn't know that premium bourbon-filled dark chocolate truffles now officially existed in a liquid state, but I was uninformed, and as proof of same, I have a really kickass example sitting right here on the table in front of me. The flavors are rich, sweet, and savory with just enough dusty cocoa and expertly-crafted alcohol onboard to keep the chocolatey sweetness under-the-top. I'm damned stingy with "five" grades for flavor, but I just don't know how it could taste any better, so as a dedicated a lover of well-crafted beer, fine liquor, imported chocolate, and products from my home state that rock, I'll give Steven, Paul, and Jamie's brew that five... with a bullet.

Likewise in perfection is the expertly-carbonated full body. It has heft without stickiness and a super-fine tracing of bubbles in solution that make it so. At 10.13% ABV, Olde Rabbit's Foot isn't something you could drink all day, but I'll put it as simply as I can, friends-- in a perfect world, my kitchen faucet would have three taps... labeled with the abbreviations "H", "C", and "ORF". It's truly sublime.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

20 hours and 1100 miles later... Done as part of a blind tasting with capra12 and schen9303 so that our grades are not slaves to hype. Also... its my 100th review!!! turns out that I couldn't have chosen a better beer here.
Poured from a bomber numbered 124/694 into a Brooklyn Brewery Snifter.

A: A moderate pour yields a 2.5 finger light, milk chocolate colored, fulffy head with excellent retention. Brew was opaque and thick as motor oil just as expected. Lacing is frothy, thick, and ruler-like though this dissipated with time.

S: Bourbon is strong in the nose. Also hints of licquorice, sweet soy sauce, dark druit, oak, and a bit of nuttiness. Can't help but think this smells more like an RIS than an IS.

T: Speaking as unbiased as possible, this really lives up to the hype. I wanted to grade down on this but it just never gave me an opportunity to do so. Strong licquorice, dark fruit, roasted prunes, sweet soy sauce. Bourbon is apparent but very subdued throughout. Finish lingers a faint roastiness and a slight sourness.

M: Medium to full bodied and oily, silky, and astoundingly smooth. This is everything that Dark Lord is not in terms of mouthfeel. Finish is wet, sticky, and messy, leaving a lasting trail in my mouth.

D: Incredibly complex and with the body to tie it all together. This one really lives up to the hype. As a side by side, I gotta say that I felt it was better overall than Abyss, and that's saying a lot. An outstanding brew and definitely worth the wait.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks for sharing Vandubs!

a: Pours a thick dark near black with creamy espresso head that sticks around for a while leaving some sticky lacing on the edges of my oversized snifter.

s: Big aromas of earthy, woodsy bourbon barrel on top of bakers chocolate, vanilla bean, molasses, and tart dark fruit (can't really decipher).

t: Beautiful integration of rich roasty malt and bourbon barrel. Cocoa powder, vanilla bean then hit some subtle tart sweetness of bourbon-macerated cherries and brown sugar. Bourbon barrel roastiness is left on the sides of my cheeks.

m: Medium approaching full bodied with moderate carbonation. I kind of want the body a touch bigger for a barrel aged RIS...but it's almost there.

d: I shared this bottle with a few friends but could have easily finished an entire 22.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

really dark, opaque brown with medium brown edges when held up to the light. very light tan head. tiny bubbles with a group of bigger bubbles collecting in the middle. as each bubble in the middle pops, it slowly releases a dark teardrop into the mist of smaller bubbles, a testament to its thickness. like watching the movement in a lava lamp. a lava lamp i can put in my body. mmmm. beautiful.

smell alternates between wood and bourbon separately dominating. sweet, sweet bourbon. there are then notes of roasted malt, maybe toasted barrels, and while the bourbon is apparent at every whiff, it integrates wonderfully with everything else there. to smell these notes without the bourbon would leave one yearning for the melding of bourbon again. the beer shows itself within the bourbon, which is near-perfect to me.

is it roasty or toasty? i cant quite discern. bourbon soaked toasted oak, hints of dark fruits, sweet cola. after each swallow, cocoa and cream hang around. the bourbon really is a part of the beer. bourbon and beer... holding hands.

the mouthfeel is creamy but spicy, carbonated a little more than i like, but the taste makes this aspect quickly forgettable.

delicious. the alcohol is noticeable, but thats a hard thing to separate from bourbon, even by connotation alone. a complex beer and a high-quality bourbon working together as one. two great things together making an even better "thing." outstanding.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pours a deep dark brown, in fact almost pitch black, with about a finger of chocolatey tan head comprised of incredibly miniscule bubbles. The head slowly fades and the remaining bubbles are relegated to the edge of the glass--though there aren't enough of them to quite form a ring. Incredible lacing for a 10%.

S: Candy, honey, butterscotch, and caramel are the most easily identifiable notes in the nose at first. It's also quite creamy--I'm initially getting a dark roast coffee with cream and maybe even a hint of chocolate covered cherries that blend to fuse very nicely in the nose. There's also a smoky note--I wouldn't classify it so much as burnt coffee as I would burnt cocoa, oddly enough. There's also a very strange hint of soy sauce as well as an even more mild barbecue sauce. Very smooth.

T: Dark roast coffee and excellent bourbon., as well as some well developed earthy and smoky notes. Chocolate covered cherries are again present, as are hot fudge, and honey (as noted on the label). Not so much a molasses taste as a heavy brown sugar. A decent amount of anise-y heat, and also a hint of strawberries.

M: Very fine carbonation bubbles, but they pop to an amazing extent, bringing the flavors to the top very nicely. Calms down a bit as it warms. Very slight aftertaste, but it's bourbony and warm.

D: Goes down very smoothly and easily, and honestly like a much lighter bodied beer than it is. Extremely drinkable. I've been waiting to have this one since the release a while back, and was a bit worried it might have been over-hyped. I'm glad to not have been disappointed.

Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009) from Olde Hickory Brewery