Ruby Lager | Olde Hickory Brewery

good
Read the review
Ruby LagerRuby Lager

Olde Hickory Brewery
North Carolina, United States
oldehickorybrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by oberon on 12-31-2009

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have drank this beer on draft and I have had it in the bomber form. They recently released this one in 12 oz six packs so I figured I would pick one up for old times sake and support a local outfit.

Appearance: Nice red amber beer. I think this certainly the best part of this beer.

Aroma: Sweet bready malts dominate and pretty much nothing else.

Taste: One note malty boring lager. There is nothing special about the flavor of this beer. It is more malt than anything else. I picked up this fresh six pack but I believe I will leave the rest these at the next party I go to!

Overall: I love OHB they make amazing offerings for this state. However this is not one of them. I know they plan on doing more releases in the future of the more regular offerings and maybe they will offer up some of their stouts in six packs, because that is really where this brewery shines.

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%

Bought this on a whim while in N.C. Looks pretty nice although nose,taste and feel are murky and sourish. I will not purchase this beer again

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

3.28/5  rDev -3%

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

3.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Copper orange filtered with no carbonation, 2 fingers of foamy tan head.

S: Toasted malts, caramel, red fruits, dough.

T: Toasted malts, caramel, dough, light fruity character, lots of dough.

M: Light medium body, medium high foamy carbonation, dry powdery finish.

O: Very fresh, well done amber. Nothing outstanding, rather a fresh lightly flavourful brew. Got at Asheville at the wine store near Wicked Weed.

1.99/5  rDev -41.1%

Although this beer is OK for appearance and smell, taste is just OK, the 3.7 alcoholic content barely rates this as a beer. I gave it a rating as a one because I want my beer to be real beer and not just a beverage. It didn't rate high enough in the other areas to consider it decent. So I gave it a low rating. Because beer should be beer and 3 % alcohol doesn't equate to beer in my book! Have you tried the rating scale on weak beverages? I'm from NC and I truly wanted to rate this beer higher but honestly I can't.

Ruby Lager from Olde Hickory Brewery