The Event Horizon | Olde Hickory Brewery

Added by Habmike on 12-08-2010

Ratings: 1,774 |  Reviews: 307

1.04/5  rDev -76.1%

1.31/5  rDev -70%

Obsidian black pour into my Darkness tulip. 2011 bottle date.

Promising full finger of mocha head. The lacing cakes. I wasn't prepared for the smell but yet as my brain told me what it was I could not get over it. The barrel aging is there but it smelled exactly like barrel aged play-doh. Unbelievably awful nose. Put it down and came back to it after a few minutes. I sucked up the courage for a few sips and that was a big a let down as the smell. Carbonation was fine but it was malty burnt toast. Three sips is all I could muster. 19 of those 22 ounces were drain poured.

I can not see nor do I want to be told why that beer is so great. Horrid awful garbage that was made in a bathtub. One of my worst drinking experiences ever.

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

2.99/5  rDev -31.4%

Solid barrel aged stout. Not my thing but this was a good one.

I had two differant bottles both Pre & during DLD, One from Hannydawg and not sure about the others bringer, but thanks to both for keeping me from trading alot away for the chance to try this one.
The pour is less dark then expected and is a dark brown with moderate viscosity. I't looks average for a 8.5% stout, i would have liked to see more viscosity & depth of color.
The aroma and flavors really took me off guard, and had huge dark fruit influence throughout with strong Prune & Raisons, with a Soy & Molasses paste holding it together. There was powdered cacao blended in somewhat. I didn't notice any heat and no barrel influence either which was a let down, as being from PVW barrels this is treated as if gold.

This was one of the beers i was really excited for when i saw it out, but it was a let down. I even gave it a 2nd chance the next day, and can't report any differant.

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011. Pours a deep black color with a thick brownish white head and a small amount of lacing. Smells of sweet chocolate and coffee. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, toffee, and some roasted malts. No hops anywhere. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is low. I don't care for it.

3.11/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured into a Bruery snifter with a group of about 8 at cellar temp from the wine fridge. Pours very dark, thick black with a small cocoa head. Looks good. The nose is sweet malts and dark fruit, bourbon, oak. Smells fine. Taste is that sweet malt, dark fruit, and very understated barrel character. One note until the finish. The finish is acrid burnt something and hops. Burnt honey and bittering hops? Whatever it is, the finish does not work for me at all. It's that same finish that is present in a lot of maple imperial stouts/black ales that does not work for me at all. Good body for the ABV, which was oddly low. We had a good lineup, but this bottle wasn't finished. Let me state that again. There were 8 people there and this bottle was not finished. Everyone else was defending that it was fine, but that is not exactly what my expectation was. In my opinion, this was very forgettable and in the opinion of my group, it was only slightly better. Choo-choo

3.12/5  rDev -28.4%

I saved this bottle for DLD and my first review. Thanks to ewright for trading me this bottle.

A- Dark brown with an off white head. I usually want a darker appearance on a big stout.

S- Dark fruits, slight chocolate, and a hint of bourbon, and I mean a hint. No where near as impressive as other Bourbon aged stouts, especially because of the barrel used for this beer.

T- Dark fruits, raisins, sugary malts. The chocolate on the nose is not present here, and I get no bourbon taste. Disappointing.

M- Medium body, although a little watery for the style. Carbonation is ok.

O- Maybe I hyped up this beer pre-drinking, but after sampling two bottles, one on DLD, and one the night before, this beer is a complete letdown.

The Event Horizon from Olde Hickory Brewery