Seven Devils | Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Hickory Brewery
North Carolina, United States
oldehickorybrewery.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed in honor of the poor souls who live in a part of the Blue Ridge Mountains said to be "as cold as seven devils".

Seven Devils is a Scottish-Style Ale aged in bourbon barrels to create an liberation to delight the soul. Rich, smooth malt blended with the complex flavors associated with bourbon. Perfect for the winter months.

Added by lanamj on 02-16-2012

4.67/5  rDev +17%

Thanks JD!

Pours murky muddly brown. Initial white head fades to leave absolutely no head.

Smells like Backwoods Bastard. Full barleywine smell. Oak and vanilla and other bourbon flavors are more than accents, they are part of the whole package.

OMG its Backwoods Bastard available later! I feel like I should copy and paste my Backwoods review into here. Woody oak flavor, full body from the vanilla, and sweet. Seven Devils is a bit more sweet. Lighter body than Backwoods, but the flavor is there. Overall, lighter and the same flavors, just less of everything. I still like Backwoods, but god damn this is as close as Ive ever seen.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

This is one of the better beers Olde Hickory has put out. This thing has been cellared for nearly two years. I drank one fresh and honestly I had forgotten about this one. But I figured I would get it out of the way and if it had turned no harm no foul. But, to my amazement, this beer only gets better with age. Too bad I think it was a one off.

Color: Brown, typical garnet Wee Heavy colors. Very similar to Old Chub in the way it looks.

Nose: Wee Heavy, so you get some scotch flavors, but not really the peaty briny flavors in some scotches, floral, honey like scotches is where this one is. Almost a bourbon aroma in there too. Caramel and strong vanilla.

Taste: Sweet, but not overly cloying. It has a lot of vanilla and those same scotch-like flavors going on. There are also some yellow cake-like flavors in there as well. Custard would be a good way of putting it.

Overall: I am glad I rediscovered it, but I am also sad that its now gone. I wish I had bought more when I had the chance. As much as I love Old Chub, especially the new nitro, this beer is at the next level.

4.49/5  rDev +12.5%

Being a big fan of Backwoods Bastard, I made sure I grabbed this one when it arrived in my local bottle shop. Not disappointed.

Color is on the muddy side, light tan head dissipates quickly leaving very little lacing.

Smells amazing. Bourbon/oak/vanilla up front with some dark fruit and smoke behind it.

Less smoke on the palate than one might expect from a Scotch ale, but still a touch in the background to keep things interesting. Bourbon is the dominant flavor, followed by the smoke and dark fruit from the nose. Very complex, and very tasty.

A little thinner mouthfeel than I wanted, but not watery.

A bargain for $7/bomber, and overall another great offering from Olde Hickory. A really tasty beer that got some "oh, wow" reactions from folks that I shared it with.

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

picked up a bottle at random at a shop last month, bought with confidence despite 'best buy feb 2013' on label due to Olde Hickory's great barrel program. lots of brown sugar, vanilla, and bourbon. Its the bourbon that steals the show here. Amazing find and fantastic lucky find. If you happen to see it despite its rarity...buy it!

Seven Devils from Olde Hickory Brewery