Sünner Kölsch | Gebr. Sünner GmbH & Co. KG

Added by allboutbierge on 11-13-2003

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 189 | Ratings: 393
4.13/5  rDev +9%

Pour this beer into a stange at 42 degrees.

Appearance: A pale straw color with touch of amber yellow hues. There is a 3 finger steady white head that is foamy and bubbly. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear and brilliant. The head left lacing on the glass.

Nose: A lite apple, bouquet of flowers and some citrus. There is a low malt aroma and some yeast in the background.

Taste: A nice soft roundness in the beer with delicate flavors. There are apples, lite floral, citrus, and some yeast. The malt that is presented in the beer is supple.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer soft, clean, lightly carbonated, and almost crisp. The body of the beer is light and the finish is nil. I never have like the American version of the Kolsch, it is not delicate and rough on the palate. I am glad that the German Kolsch's are a whole lot better.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

had this bier out of a 1/2 litre bottle. First time having this bier.

A: Pours a nice golden yellow color that is crisp and clear. Mod head that dissipates fairly quickly, minimal lacing. A good looking bier.
S: A typical kolsch smell. Negligible sweetness, mod tartness.
T: A crisp kolsch taste. Very clear and crisp taste. Mild dryness in the after taste but not overwhelming. Other people have mentioned mild watery flavor, I would agree but it is still a good taste.
M: No problems here.
D: I enjoyed this bier a lot. This is an easy bier to put down and in fact, I will have at least 2 more tonight.

Overall, I like this bier. It isn't the best kolsch out there, but it is a damn good one. Do yourself a favor and have this bier. Prosit!

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Having only ever had a couple "real" Kolschs in my life I am a little hesitant to go hard on it, not being too sure how good (or not) these beers can be. Anyway, it is pale straw colour with a weak head and not a great deal going on nose-wise. Starts off fresh with a slight apple aroma but goes sulphury quite quickly as it warms. This may well explain why they are served in small glasses in Koln. Still, it is a refreshing beer with a little sweetness but an essentially dry finish. Tis good and drinkable but reserving judgement on calling this style "classic".

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

poured a bright golden straw, very small bubbly head that faded down to nothing more than a ring around the edge
smell was light grassy grain with a hint of banana
taste light juicyfruit like, grassy, finishes with a nice banana like flavor
mouthfeel is light and smooth, no visible carbonation but you can feel it on your tongue
drinkability - well my only slight on this is its abv at 5.4% its just a bit too high for something that's so sessionable...

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

Very pale sunburnt straw hue with white head that instantly dissipates. Little carbonation and no sediment, resulting in a completely crystal clear appearance.
Mmmm... very lager-y, with 1 dimensional grainy malt. Also the cardboard aroma that seems to be prevalent in beers that use hops extract. A slightly sweet white wine-like character is noticeable upon further inspection. Would have liked more fruit.
Wow - taste is pretty damn refreshing. Sweet bready malt, with very short-lasting bitterness. Slight white wine. Very short duration. Look up 'delicate' in the dictionary and there'll be a picture of this beer there.
Very light body, with low carbonation (would have expected more from a kolsch.
Sooo refreshing! Especially considering its 28deg C inside at the moment!

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 1pt 0.9oz bottle purchased at Eagle Provisions in Brooklyn (just over $3). The beer is pale golden colored, crystal clear, with a thin wet foam. The aroma is subdued like all good Kolsches, a little musty or funky but really in a light way. The taste is slightly sweet and malty, maybe a little estery fruit flavors (not much). The definition of drinkable at 5.3% ABV with a light body.

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Not much of head, only a centimetre or so, and this quickly disappears. A very persistent carbonation though. Straw coloured.

Very grainy/bready aroma.

Again the graininess. A little sweet. A bit fruity. Not really doing it for me.

Finishes dry and crisp. Quite refreshing.

This the second time I have drunk this. The first time I found it a bit more fruity. I might have to revisit.

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - 3.5
Poured a foamy two fingers of white head over a clear straw yellow body.

Smell - 3.5
A very subtle aroma of sourdough bread, husk, toasted seeds and grains.

Taste - 3.5
Like most beers of this style, everything is subtle on the palate. Slightly sweet, slightly savoury, slightly malty, slightly fruity, slightly bitter and a little husk. The only thing it has lots of are dryness and refreshingness (is that a word?).

Mouthfeel - 3.5
Light to moderately carbonated, feels quite heavy in the mouth - this is where it is most obvious that this is an ale not a lager.

Drinkability - 4.5
Very easy to drink, sessionable, and interesting enough to come back to.

A good example of a somewhat restricted style, and a nice, easy drinking beer.

2.4/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured out straw yellow with a nice foaming white head that dissipitated well into loose lacing around the rim. Almost looks like a macro lager.

Very light smell. Almost zesty citrus characters and some slight malts. Almost rice like in quality aswell.

Very light flavour. Sweet malts, and some slight hoppy characters. Almost tastes like drinking Budweiser or Miller, which is not a good thing.

It is quite easy drinking, but is almost watery. I have never really been a huge fan of kolsch, and I think this has turned me off even more. Very watery, almost a lighter taste similar to heineken.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

This review is for the bottle version sampled here in Australia, despite having previously enjoyed it from the barrel at the Brewhouse in Cologne.

I observed the characteristics of a kolsch - slightly bitter undertones, grassy nose, and what I call the backwards pilsner character! However in this version, it was nice but just too soft. The character was very restrained. I remember it being a lot sharper from the barrel in Cologne (what good memories!)

The bottle was good until late in 08, but I think a fresh version would be sharper! This seems to be the case with a lot of german beers.

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

I suppose that I can echo much of what allboutbierge mentions, below, about its taste, head, and overall experience. I noted a hint of undertaste that I couldn't quite identify, and which I liked-- maybe a sort of cardamom taste (most readers are like, what the h*ll is that?!?!?-- a spice with a sort of musky apple/orange taste). It was quite subtle, however.

Sünner -- pronounced "zoo-nuh" in English pronounciation.

The head on my beers were firm, although they did begin to dissipate slightly after a minute or so (unlike the Pfaffen kolsch which seemed firm enough to walk on).

I discovered this kolsch while wandering around Deutz (pronounced doytz in English-pronounciation), the city across the Rhein from Koln/Cologne. It's a nice little city, the former "Jewish ghetto" of Cologne, also known as "the wrong side of the river." It has its own more down-to-earth ambience and day-to-day people than Koln. Groceries, fresh bakeries and other stores abounded, just within a few blocks on the main-street of town which leads back from the Rhein at the Deutz Bridge (next to the Chocolate Museum in Koln). Hint-- look for the glowing arch of the Koln Arena which is behind the old-town several-block area of Deutz.

The Sunner Kolsch seemed abundant in Deutz. My first experience was during lunch at a local corner-restaurant near the back-end of the main street from the river. You know it's a local restaurant when the elderly guy asks for his leftovers, and they bring them in a rubbermaid-style container for his return (heh). Numerous middle-aged to elderly locals seemed to be hanging out, some eating meals, some simply sipping one Sunner Kolsch after the next-- including the 60-something German woman seated by herself at a nearby table.

This kolsch simply blew me away, on my first sip! I liked it better than any other kolsch in the Koln area that I have tried, to date (give me another week here and we'll see!). It had full taste and body, a nice odor, nothing offensive in any area, a hint of aftertaste without being annoying, went well with my meal (which included fried eggs, ham, salad and coffee), and I just had to sit afterwards and enjoy a few more Sunner's.

As I walked back thru the main street of Deutz, I noted numerous Sunner signs hanging in doorways, and then I came upon what I believe was a Sunner restaurant, where we returned for our dinner that night. I still haven't located the actual Sunner Brauhaus, even trying their website (www.suenner.de) so I'm now on that quest.

Overall, I would drink this Sunner Kolsch any time, anywhere. Nothing overwhelmed me (good or bad), except the fact that it had a really full flavor that I haven't found in any of the other Koln kolsch's. Even my "beer-sampling but not beer-fanatic" wife thought that it was good (which is a huge statement!).

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Tasting it yesterday from keg and today from botle with exp date 25-7-05 can only come to one conclusion: great brew. What you want of you order a Koelsch. Nice appearance with white head that lasts quiet ok. Very malty nose and wheat noticeable. Further good and clean yeast, and a hoppy nose though this botle version has not as much as the sampled kegbeer had. Full and clean taste also; malty, just litle sweet and nice and dry hopfinish. Mouthfeel is great, and a beer thats a perfect sessionbeer in my eyes so drinkability is more then just ok too! By the way 4.8% ABV.

Tan-ta-taaaan (thats supposed to be an onomatopoeia.) Welcome to the land of mediocre; population, like 15 different kölsches.

Went out of my way to get this one. Well, not really, it was at the market in the Schildergasse kaufhof so I got it and, whoop-dee-doo, alongside most other kölsches, this one fits your sharp golden pour some carbonation small head that fades sorta description. visually.

Smell? blech, all the same. still. And the taste ranges from a watery sort of pils with a bit extra wheat that doesn't really do it for me. really. nothing exciting about it.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Sünner is one of the better but harder to find Kölsch beers. I know of only four or five bars in the city that serve it, though I am sure they're are more.

Sünner is golden and luminous like other Kölsch beers and offers the same gigangtic and overflowing white head. The smell is extremely floral and notes of pepper? are evident. Taste is light, delicate, and full of the same floral notes. A broad and mellow malt base is also evident. Mouthfeel is average; a tad watery for my tastes and in comparison to what I see as a great Kölsch. Drinkability is really the highlight of this beer. Its taste are all delicate and mellow and leave you with no offensive aftertaste. Id assume this would be a great summer session brew, though Ive sadly only drank this when it was rather cold out. Schade.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last