Adnams / Stone Double IPA | Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery

Added by BlackHaddock on 02-25-2014

Reviews by wl0307:
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Another Wetherspoon special collaboration brew: marrying a traditional UK regional brewery with some guys from the West Coast of the US.

It's hoppy man.

Half-pint in cask form at Montgomery's Tower (a Wetherspoons pub in Shrewsbury) on 24th Feb 2014, these guys should try to brew cask stuff more often, it works.

Good looking monster: deep amber/bronze body with an off-white topping.

It has so much alcohol and hop content that my mind just went blank and I sat back and sipped it without a care in the world. My notes say: mini haze, amber, off-white, hops and bitter. I've had to try and remember the rest, which is slightly difficult because I was on my way to a bottle swap and had a load more great beers after this one.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Half pint at 'spoons in Helensburgh. Bit of a nostalgia trip reminded me of my years living on the west coast. Beer was an amber colour with a head which dissipated to the rim fairly quickly. Initially I noticed a strong sweet yet leafy aroma which seemed to wane as I tried in vain to pin it down. This is very sweet to taste too, with a white sugar flavour which gradually gives way to leafy, slightly minty hops. It has a thick and rathe rsyrupy feel, leaving slight oiliness on the tongue. If anything it is overly biased towards sweetness over bitterness, but makes an excellent sipper.

Adnams / Stone Double IPA from Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery