Adnams Broadside Strong Original | Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery

Added by jdhilt on 08-26-2003

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 155 | Ratings: 200
3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured to a brown color with hints of ruby red, with a thin off-white head that lingereed midway and left okay lacing. Aroma was muted, but slightly nuts and caramel. Flavor was somewhat malty sweet, and while body was fairly creamy, any true flavor was diifficult to ascertain. Although only 6.3%, the alcohol made itself known toward the end in both aroma and flavor, and the palate and finish were just so-so. Not a bad beer, but not great either.

3.16/5  rDev -19.2%

Best before November 26, 04 on the label.

I didn’t enjoy this beer all that much. Orange-amber in color with a slight tinge of ruby. Porous foamy head thinned out pretty quick. The taste is fruity and heavy handed with sweet malts. Sticky sweet and almost wine like, actually. Leaves a coating of syrupy sweetness in the throat. A sweet ale, that was hard for me to finish. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for this one. Not bad.

2.96/5  rDev -24.3%

This strong ale is dark amber in color with ruby highlights. It also caries a tall frothy tan head that retains and laces well.
The aroma is of caramel malt and has almost no hops detectable to the nose.
The flavor starts out sweet and finishes with a slight alcohol warming which I find surprising considering that this is only 6% ABV.
Mouth feel is medium in body.

This is an alright beer, but I will not go out of my way for it.

2.94/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Once I got past the appearance of "muddy lake water" in my glass, it wasn't that bad of a beer. The head was a bit soapy and faded quickly.

The smell was very perfumed and slightly citrus. I wish I could place the exactly perfume, maybe honeysuckle? Very light smell for such a muddy beer.

The taste was simple but pleasant with flowery hops, slight malt and tasty yeast. I noticed no offensive aftertaste and little bitterness.

The mouthfeel was a little bland to me without sufficient carbonation. Maybe I got an old bottle. I'd find it hard to stomach too many more of these.

2.36/5  rDev -39.6%

I couldn't finish this beer. I gave it to my friends dog. It was like drinking metal shavings. The water was so metallic like many other english beers. It had a decent pour with a decent white head that hung around for a little while. The first sip was like licking the body of a rusty Ford, once I got past the metal fragments stuck in my tongue I tasted a lot of what I smell which was an average amber ale. They should keep this one in England.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last