Adnams Broadside | Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery

Adnams BroadsideAdnams Broadside

Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery
England, United Kingdom
adnams.co.uk

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

2.36/5  rDev -39.2%

I couldn't finish this beer. I gave it to my friends dog. It was like drinking metal shavings. The water was so metallic like many other english beers. It had a decent pour with a decent white head that hung around for a little while. The first sip was like licking the body of a rusty Ford, once I got past the metal fragments stuck in my tongue I tasted a lot of what I smell which was an average amber ale. They should keep this one in England.

2.42/5  rDev -37.6%

Dark chestnut brown and clear against the light, this was hard to get a head from the pour, but came out easily with a stiff swirl. I think my fridge is too cold. Syrupy caramel, big nuttiness, some coppery metallic aroma. No hops to speak of and the yeast is present in a slightly tangy way. Some biscuit comes out with a swirl. Solid malt body hits the lips first. A big nuttiness is there again and the metallic taste is more pronounced. Malty like a bock, but mild like an English Bitter. Feel tends towards the watery, finish is balanced.

Nothing stands out in this beer. It's balanced, but it has nothing to hang its hat on. Needs some spice and maybe steer it back towards the style a bit.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.53/5  rDev -34.8%

Note: The beer I drank was 6.3% abv.

The colour is dark red-brown, and the foam is medium thick, yellowish and quite soft.

The smell is sweet and filled with fresh hops. There are flavours of hay and mint, too.

The carbon dioxide is kind of strong for ale, and it fades away quickly.

The taste is somewhat metallic, dry, burnt with hints of apricot. The taste of alcohol is not hidden very well, and the straightforward, dry bitterness is almost too powerful.

The aftertaste is plain bitterness with burnt hints, but it is surprisingly short. After just a few minutes, there is nothing left at all.

I must say that this beer makes me a little disappointed: I expected a well-crafted, complex and generous strong ale, but what I got was just an aggressive yet plain bitterness with a taste of alcohol that belongs to much cheaper beers.

2.66/5  rDev -31.4%

Bottle from the LCBO- Deep chestnut pour unleashed a frothy mocha cap leaving pretty spiderweb lace. The aroma that I was first greeted with was caramel and then molasses. Dark fruits (plum, prune) follow with a bit of char and fruitcake. Tastes of sweet fruitcake and sugary nutty malts. Prune and dark plum come in and add more sweetness which is semi balanced by some metallic hops. Problem is, I hate the taste of fruitcake. This is not really good.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours with a clear dark ruby color, almost coppery and a very decent white and foamy head, with a decent retention.
The aroma is nothing special - hoppy along with some yeast as well.
The taste is sweet, yeasty and bready (not my favourite) with a decently bitter finish.
All in all a drinkable, although quite filling, ale. Could be better, but it could be much worse.

2.87/5  rDev -26%

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

Took a break from the election tonight to pour this. Bad idea. Poured into a pint glass...

A: Pours a cloudy amber which is opaque due to the haze. Pours with no head and the hops leave a slight lace on this one.

S: Very sour malt smell with cider and vinegar on the onset. It then blends into some sweet caramel, bittering hops, and a metallic hint. Overall, let's say I was not in a hurry to take a sip.

T: Extremely cidery with sour apple and some caramel malts. For a bitter, there is very little hop presence and tons of sweet malt. Vinegar notes come through as well and really overpower any of the good malt aspects of the beer.

Overall, this one looks like apple cider, and doesn't taste far from it. This may be your style, but it didn't do it for me.

2.94/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Once I got past the appearance of "muddy lake water" in my glass, it wasn't that bad of a beer. The head was a bit soapy and faded quickly.

The smell was very perfumed and slightly citrus. I wish I could place the exactly perfume, maybe honeysuckle? Very light smell for such a muddy beer.

The taste was simple but pleasant with flowery hops, slight malt and tasty yeast. I noticed no offensive aftertaste and little bitterness.

The mouthfeel was a little bland to me without sufficient carbonation. Maybe I got an old bottle. I'd find it hard to stomach too many more of these.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

This strong ale is dark amber in color with ruby highlights. It also caries a tall frothy tan head that retains and laces well.
The aroma is of caramel malt and has almost no hops detectable to the nose.
The flavor starts out sweet and finishes with a slight alcohol warming which I find surprising considering that this is only 6% ABV.
Mouth feel is medium in body.

This is an alright beer, but I will not go out of my way for it.

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

On cask at the Fitzrovia Pub just off Goodge Street, in the Fitzrovia/Bloomsbury section of London. (Seriously, how do you deliniate neighborhoods there?)

I had seen this in other places, but figured I'd give it a shot. Poured a nice copper color, thin head, little lacing. Smell was malty, with just a thin hint of hops behind it.

Taste was...average. Compared to other cask-conditioned beers I had on my trip, this was kind of bland. The malt sweetness wasn't overpowering, but hops and other notes weren't remarkable. Mouthfeel was a little watery, too, further lending to the overall indifferent feel of this one.

Drinkable? Sure. I didn't really toss my pint out the door or anything. Went well with my fish and chips. But compared to other brews I had on my trip, it didn't stand out in the least.

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: Pours with a 2" foamy off white head that recedes very slowly and leaves significant lacing. Ruby red/brown in color with mild carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: sweet fruit, clove, spice, earthy hops
Mouthfeel: medium bodied and somewhat watery. A little sticky with a semi-dry finish.
Flavor: a complex combination of sweet flavors (licorice, banana, clove, raisins) with a strong earthy hop presence for balance.
Overall: a very good, but not outstanding beer. I would not consider this beer sessionable as it is quite filling. It would be best served as a dessert beer or paired with proper food (such as strong cheese or roast beef).

Adnams Broadside from Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery