Adnams Broadside | Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery

Adnams BroadsideAdnams Broadside

Adnams plc, Sole Bay Brewery
England, United Kingdom
adnams.co.uk

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2002

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.23/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 1/2 liter bottle that had been aged for 7 months. Dark golden appearance with a foamy head and lacing. Light, sweet smell that isn't assertive. Taste is great--initially a strong syrup/molasses taste that isn't cloying--honey and herbal floral tastes, honeysuckle. A complex bittersweet, buttery character quickly takes over, crisp but still rather heavy in mouthfeel. Dried fruit--apricots, raisins, currants. Typical taste of ESB and English ales in general of a good toasted breadiness. Overall a little too sweet for my tastes, which makes it a heavier beer than I would like, but I would happily get it again.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark amber colour, with a thin head that leaves ring and lace. Aroma of chocolate, licorice, dark fruits, plums. Creamy, not much carbonation, medium body. Taste of chocolate, plums, dark fruits. Bitter rough finish.

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Some beers bridge the divide of draught into bottle - Everard's Tiger, Timothy Taylor's Landlord are examples. This beer on draught is virtually unbeatable. I used to live in East Anglia and it was the King of draught beer. There is a however its not the same in a bottle, why? its far too strong and the taste is over powered by its strength.

From the pump @ 4.7% its unbeatable - from the bottle @ 6.3% its too strong to be a session beer and in my mind relegates it self to the one off bottle/specialist taster style.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

on cask, imperial pint glass. light brown with white head. slightly sweet aroma. taste is mild and malty, a bit of toffee. medium bodied, soft carbonation.

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

According to me [I don’t trust that guy] I have previously had Adnams Broadside. I don’t remember this... or they changed their label design... either way it shows how reliable I am as a witness*. IIRC their Bitter is pretty damn tasty (I rated it 6.95/10 which is just below above-average for my rating system - granted I was a harsher critic back in those days - I’ve become much more forgiving in my old age) so I’m expecting a solid gold turd of a brew here [‘solid gold turd’ being an honour I bestow on only a few beers - the crème de la turd].

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents a clear deep maroon body with a 1cm beige head that sticks around quite well, I like. 8/10.

S: Quite plum driven with macerated fig and brown sugar rounding out the biggest aroma characters. There is a bready yeast centre with notes of cream sherry and tea leaf in there as well. A broad English canvas from which Adnams provide us with a decent broadside of a brew. 8/10.

T: Dark English ale in its essence - plum, fig, brown sugar - fruit cake in a glass... similar to Theakston Old Peculier but lacking the finesse of Theakston’s Old Ale. There is a slight medicinal herb bitterness with a metallic note at the finish. Hmmm, a roasted nut character in there as well. Not bad... not knees of the bee either though (bees do have a lot of knees - you can’t compete with their knees, don’t even try). 8/10.

M: Medium bodied with a thin/flat carbonation. 6/10.

D: I can see where Adnams were going with this English Special Bitter-cum-Old Ale, and it is surely a top drop, not ‘solid gold turd’ good, more a ‘cat piss respectable’... which is still quite decent. I know what you’re thinking - why do my beer approval terms contain “piss” and “turd”? Simple - I’m Australian. Everything here degenerates to urination/defecation terms of endearment... I’m not taking the piss: This is a tasty brew from Adnams. 7/10.

Food match: Rack of beef, roasted with all the trimmings (aka gravy, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding).

*Note: if you were going to murder someone, and I suggest not doing this in the first place, but if you do it in front of a witness hope it was me (as the witness of course - I’m not into the whole being murdered thing).

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

Pint bottle purchased from Lifesource Natural Grocer Salem OR $4.99 Dark amber coloured ale with a small,bubbly tan head. Great typical English malt and hop aromas. Hay,nuts,leafy and earthy very nice. Balanced taste..interesting and with a strong light chocolate finish. Great smooth mouthfeel. Good traditional ale...excellent stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.57/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

I like this quite a bit, but I am a fan of the English styled brews. There are others that are better but the distribution here in the U.S. is pretty thin at the moment. This is one of the best available from my perspective.

3.92/5  rDev +1%