English Bay Pale Ale | Granville Island Brewery

Granville Island Brewery
British Columbia, Canada
gib.ca

Style: English Pale Ale

Easygoing—like the sunny shores of English Bay itself. Out of the bottle you’ll notice the rich, coppery colour and caramel malt flavour up front, balanced with a dry roasted finish that’s sure to put a smile on your face. Just grill up some burgers, kebabs or tenderloin—and chill

Added by 49degrees on 12-27-2002

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%

3.08/5  rDev -2.5%

3.12/5  rDev -1.3%

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

I bought it at a regional LCBO in Welland, ON, Canada.
And I am not a professional or amatuer beer drinker or something. Just beer lover.^^;
I think it is like a sweet version of Pale Ale. I've drunk several Pale Ales like Ontario craft ones. They are more bitter than this. This ale is like more drinkable to beginners like me. haha.
However, I've found the bitter pale ale more likely has more flavour or something.
That means it has little bit weak smell. Well, nice beer to me.

1.5/5  rDev -52.5%

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

3.8/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

English Bay. If you are in Vancouver this is one of the best view you can get of the sunset. I have the chance to drink here in Montreal.
The look of it is really curious. It looks like a Red Amber. You have that brown/red color. Nice carbonation. Maybe have half of a finger of head that goes aways but the rest stays inside your glass.
The smell of it, is kind of disappointing. You barely smell something. I really can't tell right now what I smell. it's really difficult to smell any flavour.
Now about the taste. Really powerful. Lot's of flavour. Totally different from the smell.
Very watery. Surprised me that it is a 5% ABV. Remind of the Richard's Red Amber. You have that touch of chocolate. Roasted grain. Really nice but too watery. I wish it could have been a 6% or 7% ABV. You will have that kick. The flavour is there but you don t have that kick you will enjoy just right after. Nice refreshing beer overall
So overall would I recommend it ? For sure. There is nothing wrong with this beer. Just too watery for my criticism. But really refreshing. Get you hands on this beer. Definitely worth it !

4.56/5  rDev +44.3%

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%

3.65/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at the LCBO for just under $ 3.00 as usual for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg c an a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a good white head. Not much head left after 2mins

S- WOW this is a good beer. Throw a wack of malt and whoop here it is!!

T- See above

M- Malty good and you call it an IPA???

O- An IPA really? This one is a malt bomb LOL

Food Pairing

I didn't have a chance to eat with this beer sorry

Enjoy

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This review was done from a bottle so take it loosely.

A: Can't really say since I had it straight from the bottle but judging from online photos it seems to be a deep copper color.

S: I get caramel like malts and a nice biscuity quality as well. No hops present really.

T: Almost similar to a very malty amber ale. I really get almost no hops except for a very slight floral presence. Caramel and more biscuit malt than I would have expected. Bitterness is underwhelming. Rather nutty as well.

M: A touch too carbonated for my tastes. A bit of a thin body as well.

O: Not a bad beer but definitely not what I would call a pale ale. More like a ESB with hops and balance removed. Could be a good intro beer.

1.12/5  rDev -64.6%

Got this on tap at a local bar. The aroma has very over powering caramel smell. I could not detect any malt or hops through the caramel. The taste has the same overpowering taste of caramel. Aftertaste lingered forever and I found it very unpleasant. This is not a Pale Ale. After a couple a sips, I could not drink anymore. One of the worst beers I have every tried.

English Bay Pale Ale from Granville Island Brewery