Rockdale Classic | City Brewing Company, LLC

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by Spikester:
2.79/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Clear deep gold with two fingers of white two minute head. No lacing at all.
Smell is sweet grain bin malts.
Taste is on the sweet side no hops detected.
Mouthfeel is close to medium with average carbonation. Finish is just a hint of dryness and sweet.
Overall a bottom shelf beer that is just passable. Definately better than T.J.s Name Tag lager but not by much. A good one to reach for if you are trying to slow down on your beer consumption.

3.02/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a big ol' 24-ounce can. Best-by date is March of 2018. Well, it certainly won't be sticking around that long, as I'm already drinking it now!

Appearance-wise, this is about what you'd expect of a standard AAL. Pale clear golden color, a few stray bubbles rising from the bottom. Kicked up a huge head of white foam when poured but just a minute or two later it's shriveled away to nothing. Pouring in more to fill up the glass doesn't change this any. The color is nice, and the head is great while it lasts... but sadly it really *doesn't* last, and the lack of bubble activity makes it look a bit duller than it otherwise might.

Smell is... well, barely there! Just a faint whiff of sweetness and some lager-y yeast smell, maybe. It's a very mild-smelling beer, nothing unpleasant but also... not much there at all. As it warms a bit more of a corn-husky sort of thing begins to appear, but it never sticks out much from the other faint smells, and it seems like it vanishes just a minute or two after it first makes itself known.

Taste is a bit more present than the smell, thankfully. There's some very light bready malt and also some corn sweetness. As with the smell, after a few sips/gulps the corny flavor comes out more noticeably, with a hint of a huskiness in the background. Not hard to guess which adjunct grain was used for this one. I had hoped that I might be able to detect the slightest hint of hops since it's barely a month old, but alas, it's probably something like 12 IBU with all of that going into bittering to balance out the corn-sweetness rather than showing up in the form of flavors/aromas. Partway through the second glass it's starting to take on a sort of doughy quality, which is kind of pleasant but also kind of weird? Almost like a Play-Doh sort of thing as opposed to regular bread dough, oddly enough.

Very fizzy mouthfeel despite the lack of visible carbonation, light and crisp feeling but not quite thin enough to be called "watery." I suspected early on that it might be one of those beers that starts to feel really watery toward the end of the glass, but this prediction turned out to not be accurate -- it's still got that crisp, slightly fizzy thing going on even after more than 12 ounces of the 24-ounce can have been drank, though the fizziness is fading a bit at that point.

Overall, it's not *bad* (there's no weird gross off-flavors or overpowering sweetness or any of the other disasters that could happen to a cheap lager without enough "oomph" in its flavor to cover up any defects)... there's just not a whole lot going on with it at all.

4.58/5  rDev +76.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I drink beer....and I drink a lot of it....for over 50 years I might add. I don't like sissy beers, that's why I like this Rockdale Classic...in a 16 ounce can. This is one great beer. It pours clear and clean with a very fresh and inviting head. Taste, Smell and Feel gets better with each can. Each time I pour a glass completely full....and then I drink all of it. Every time. It goes down really smooth and tastes like a man's beer should taste. I like it a lot. I usually drink six in a session...sometimes more. A very smooth beer and my neighbors like it too. I buy Rockdale at my local WalMart...for $3.88 a six-pack......in 16-ounce cans. Now that's the American way. My overall impression: I would recommend this beer to anyone.....but not to sissys.

1.82/5  rDev -30%

16oz can BB 1/16/18 poured into a pint glass at fridge temp. White head lasts less than a minute with no residual capping (think apple juice in a glass). Smell is nothing. No corn, no sweetness, maybe the littlest hint of stale grain. Color reminds me of apple juice, robust Golden copper. Taste is nothing. Literally there's a hint of "beery" taste and then a noticeable metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is on par with the lightest of ultra light lagers with a oily/soapy coating of your mouth after you swallow. Overall, not good. I was hoping for a solid lawnmower or summer beer. It looked good for a minute in the glass and then went downhill quickly. I suspect this is an ultra light beer fortified with extra sugar to achieve 5% ABV and food coloring for looks.

2.59/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

New discovery at the local Wally World. For the price...not too shabby. It was "okay" indeed. I think it competes well with the other American Adjunct Lagers.

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

3.49/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid competitor in the AAL market for the price. I love draining the pint cans on my days off, and it doesn't bust the budget. A winner.

2.41/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

1.79/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.25/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is a 5% beer that tastes and feels like a weak malt liquor, there is nothing good about this beer except the cheap price.

2.79/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

From the 22 oz. can with an expiration date of Feb 17, 2019. Sampled on April 21, 2018.

The style requires that it looks yellow with a fizzy head and it does. Good clarity.

The aroma begins with a sweet and grainy note but there is also a kind of overcooked corn or potato mash character in there. Grassy hops.

Light and refreshing body.

The taste is just not up to par with a corn mash grainy sweetness with a buttery character around the edges. Fairly clean finish. It is unlikely that I will ever drink this one again.

2.53/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked it up at local Wal Mart for $1.26 for a 16oz can. I was cutting grass today so wanted something easy to drink. It poured a light pale yellow color with no real smell to it. The taste was watered down with a sweet weak malt flavor. Overall not good but it was what I thought it would be.

1.9/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.24/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pint-sized can:

Freshness date of Mar 28 2018 stamped on bottom:

Pours dark golden with a fizzy head that disappears. Minimal lacing.

The smell is of grainy malt. Clean.

The taste is of some grain, some non-descript hop balance. Some dough with a slightly tinny finish.

Smooth, light, crisp. Easy-to-drink.

Not bad for the cheap price of $5 for a 4-pack of pint cans at Walmart (Tucson). In the end though, it's a cheap AAL.

3.02/5  rDev +16.2%

Bought from Walmart as a tall-boy. Enjoyed at 50F from a widemouth class.
Color is honey-amber with very good clarity. No head. High carbonation, correct for the style.
Taste is American adjunct, with rice or corn fermentable base --cant tell which.
No significant hop flavor. Good balanced bitterness and sweet malt liquor-like flavor.
Its a damn shame, they don't choose a hop profile to carry the grain-bill for this beer. I think they could make something genuinely special if they did.
Its a $1.25 tall boy with 5% abv --not a craft brew. The simple truth is that it should probably get higher marks given the competitors swill offering in this category.
A very good American Adjunct.

2.67/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.33/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

1.56/5  rDev -40%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

The can art reminds me of Coors, my favorite commercial beer.

It pours a nearly colorless 100% transparent body. A hint of yellow peeks through the paleness. Head starts off at 1 finger but fizzles as fast as it formed into absolutely nothing.

Aroma of corn and chemical; some DMS and clean water aromas. On the positive side there's a bright floral aroma as well.

Flavor is highly chemical - very much flawed and full of DMS. Cooked corn and cereal grains. Tin/metal. Finish is vegetal.

Feel is crisp with a cheap malt liquor hottness and chalky finish.

Overall, I figured this would be a better version of their light. Unfortunately this is Rockdale Light without all of the flaws boiled off. It's pretty heavy handed on the chemical and dms. It's a straight forward drain pour, definitely not drinkable. Glad I opted for the single 24 oz can instead of the $3.96 6-pack of talls.

2.83/5  rDev +8.8%

2.73/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours an ultra-clear deep gold with a straw-yellow head that rises and falls in no time at all. This is the first skunky beer I've drank in a while, and it is less than pleasant to sniff at. Some sweet corny malt is just barely detectable. Taste is a lot better. Straightforward malt without much in the way of off flavors. Reminds me of the things I like about Bud heavy, but I can tell it would be a lot less pleasant after warming. Mouthfeel is ok. Above-average body and sharp carbonation. All in all, I'm perfectly willing to call this a not-terrible beer. And at less than a dollar a tallboy in a six-pack, that's pretty nifty!

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

It was a cold winter night, I was traveling thru on the interstate, just spending the night at a hotel in Gadsden, Al (which actually has a craft brewery in town). There was a Walmart next door and I was desperate for a beer. This was a very cheap beer - $1.49 a pint! So I wan't expecting much but for a AAL is wasn't half bad. I would compare it favorably to most of the big name brands.

1.29/5  rDev -50.4%

Yeh Yeh I know I'm a Beagle hound, but I like beer OK (especially if it's got a hint of rabbit flavor) ??? Bought this crap because it's brewed at the old OLDSTYLE Brewery in LaCrosse - great town where I went to Grad School. I remember a night course I took met once a week for 3 hours ... with a 20 minute break. Me and a couple of classmates used to go to the Student Center Cellar and down a pitcher of Oldstyle on break. (Now that's the way college should be - only in Wisconsin) Got an A in the course by the way.

Unfortunately this new beer is highly unrecommended!!! Nasty watery stuff that doesn't smell or taste like beer! I'd rather drink Milwaukee's Best.

I almost wonder if I got one from a bad batch that slipped through quality control. This is brewed at the old Old Style brewery. Big disappointment, because I thought Old Style was a decent cheap beer and LaCrosse was an awesome town!

I never went to the Titty Bars on 3rd Street, though - I swear!! I'm a Beagle - if they don't have at least 8 nipples, I'm not interested!!

2.37/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.84/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast