Game Day Ice | City Brewing Company, LLC

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by VaTechHopHead on 04-28-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.2/5  rDev +25%

Pours a slightly hazy light orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, fruit, and alcohol aromas. Taste is much the same with fruit and alcohol flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that honestly tastes like more like a bad wine cooler than beer to me.

1.22/5  rDev -30.7%

I CAN't avoid these beers - I'm on The CANQuest (TM)! CAN you dig it?!?

My pour began with two fizzy fingers' worth of bone-white head that fell like Gerald Ford trying to board a plane. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had the grape bubble gum scent that I have come to associate with only the worst of this (pretty bad) style. I CANnot say that I was overjoyed by the prospect of this beer. Mouthfeel was medium and it tasted of everything that CAN be bad with an AAL - corn, fermented grain - like silage, a grapiness that should not be present. Ugh. Finish was more of the same, leaving me sad and disheartened that such a beer is being produced. F this!

1.6/5  rDev -9.1%

Served in a Coca-Cola flared pint glass.

Okay, so I was negatively bemused with the Light version. Here's hoping that things pick up now that it's Ice, Ice, baby. The pour is almost as depressing as the Light: The only salvation is a touch extra yellow in the color; still, it's insanely pale and the finger of white fizz on top dies away pretty quickly. The nose is actually there, but just barely: hints (and only hints) of light corn syrup, puffed rice, and light wheat. As weak as the edifice already is, it's condemned when the taste buds get a chance to experience it. The elements of the smell are there, sorta, but drowning. Worse, there's a strange sweetness there too, so random and blunt that Parker Brothers (well, Hasbro now) is considering adding it as a potential murder weapon in Clue (or Cluedo, for all those Limeys out there). And, trust me, it is indeed a weapon on par with a wrench, a pipe, even a piano leg. Boo this. The body is excessively light, with a sad excuse for a carbonation and, like it's Light cousin, a very watery feel. Wow. Why did I just do this to myself?

1.91/5  rDev +8.5%

From 24 fl. oz can #076O-1226. Sampled on June 5, 2011. The pour is a nright yellow with a quick rising fizzy, white head that disappears quickly. While it looks alright for the style it has more of the adjunct malt liquor character with an odd grape-apple fruity scent and thin malts. The body is thin to medium. The taste is also emboldened with grape-apple sourness and a kind of stale maltiness with a thin backdrop of hops. These kind of beers that are brewed especially for retail chains like 7/11 show both the good and the bad of why craft beer has taken off. Good, in that these retail chains want a piece of the action and attempt to do so by expanding their inventory; but bad because the result is frequently so negative.

1.57/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

The head isn't bad initially, 1 solid finger + and pure white, but it fades fast. Little spotting is left and it legs out some very thin threads of additional lace very moderately. The beer settles to a darker yellow than I might have expected.
The nose is oversweetened fruits, a particular dustiness, something like bubble gum (in a strangely artificial way as opposed to what one might get from Belgian yeast) and ethyl alcohol.
The taste is worse, burn and artificial sweetness leading to an almost composting grass note. Ultimately, the sweetness overtakes it and some leaf comes in on the end that somehow improves it from the horror show it begins as. It doesn't redeem it by a long shot, though.
Well, it's thin, but what was I expecting? It's got a bit of burn but not as much like swallowing gasoline and lighting my mouth on fire as some "ice beers." I guess that's saying something.
One of the worst out there.

2.88/5  rDev +63.6%

Game Day Ice has a very thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with some lacing. Aroma is strong on sweet corn, grain husks, and barley. Taste is sweet, corn syrup, barley, somewhat cloying, and it also has a very slight hop bitterness; the IBU must be very low with this one. Mouthfeel is hefty and full, and Game Day Ice finishes ragged, sweet, and mostly dry. For a cheap, budget, store-brand beer, this is not bad. It might be something to pick up if the price is right. Overall, it’s okay.

RJT

2.02/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

2.5/5  rDev +42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured a clear golden color with a white head that fades quickly to nothing

S - Is mostly of sweet grainy malt

T - Follows the nose with a lot of sweet malt that has a grainy taste to it

M - this beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Well this wouldn't be my first choice by any means but for what it is it is better than other crap beers out there I liked the light version better

24 oz can purchased for 99 cents at a gas station in Joliet.

A - Yellow and fizzy.

S - Foul. Noxious armpit like aromas steam out of this brew.

T - Chemicals, bleach, and spit. Bleh.

M - Super-carbonated and acidic.

D - No thank you. This was worse than I could have ever expected.

1.83/5  rDev +4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Was actually wrong at the beginning of my last review. Neighbor cracked open his last box ( see previous reviews for details on that ) and found ten of these inside. And of course, one comes my way for experimentation.

To be completely honest, I'm already quite intoxicated and I not going to bother pouring this into a glass.

Smell is..well it is. Stale grape soda, and massive amounts of grain husk.

Taste it more adjunct forward with rice but the grape soda esque levels show up. Moderate touches of alcohol and the grain husks poke their head through.

Feel is super carbonated and cold although light and seltzer like.

Overall I feel I've had this before...reminds me of that Port Republic lager I could get for $1 a tall boy at my local foodtown around 6 years ago. Port Republic wasn't good. And neither is this. Only up to the aforementioned brew is the fact you could get thirty tall boys for just over $33 ( including deposit of course ) meaning sixty beers. Buying 40 or over and he'd cut you a deal...enough ranting. This beer sucks.

1.09/5  rDev -38.1%

Poured into a pint glass courtisy of my roommate. The appearance is cheap golden yellow with a surprisingly impressive head that sits about a finger high. However, it settles to nothing shortly. I don't know if it's just me but all this cheap swill kind of smells the same. Medicinal with sweet corn and grains. Not much to it but it's overly sweet in the aroma. This is terrible. I feel like I'm punishing my liver for no reason. This just taste bad. It's not even really worth trying to geek out and describe the how unpleasant corn is in my beer. Overall, this isn't even worth a novelty.

1.3/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

7/11 special. Pours a clear, pale gold color with a full head. Head fell very slow to about nothing with no real lace to speak of.

Has a light lager smell filled with corn and some off aroma.

Taste is of cheap grains, some chemical or metallic taste and a bit of sweetness.

Thin and watery in the mouth.

Not a good beer. I don't understand it though because the can says Premium Brewed. Why would they lie to me? Why?

1.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Big brother to the newly contracted 7-Eleven beer, Game Day Light. To sum this beer up...now there's a third wheel in the crappy American "Ice" beer category to compete with Natty Ice and Beast Ice. And accordingly it tastes just as bad. Game on!!

2.08/5  rDev +18.2%

The aroma is like a cheap lager however there isn't much to it. There is some sweet malt but also alcohol, adjuncts, and dish water. The appearance is pale gold with a large head that fades. The taste is like the aroma. The palate is thin but OK for the style. Overall this is a cheap beer and tastes like it. It's nothing disappointing because I wasn't expecting much.

1.5/5  rDev -14.8%

1.51/5  rDev -14.2%

pours a cornbread yellow hue with a decent two-finger frothy white head that vanishes in a flash and takes its lacing with it.

aroma is somewhere between paint thinner and fermented apple juice, with some ranch doritos mixed in. nothing edible should smell like this.

sweet and sugary, almost like a hard cider, but without any of the pleasantries and enjoyable factors. apple, grain and alcohol. or grain alcohol, if you will. almost hot and potent for the abv. grainy, corny, vegetal finish.

mouth is sticky, slick, and fairly highly carbonated. nothing really good about it.

wow. this might be the cheapest form of alcohol, but no matter how much I wanted a beer, I wouldn't touch this one again. i guess this is what a 25cent glass of beer tastes like. and I feel like I overpayed.

1.4/5  rDev -20.5%

Picked this up at 7-11.

Appearance - Pale yellow in color with a huge, rocky white head which dissapates very quickly. NO lacing present at all.

Smell - Very sweet maltiness. Slight hints of cat pee.

Taste - The 5.5% alcohol is noticeable. I taste corn, bread, malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel -VERY carbonated and thin body

Overall - Ok I have an appreciation for well done macro lagers but this one is not one. Honestly this is a drain pour for me. I wouldn't recommend this to no one. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

2.23/5  rDev +26.7%

I bought this can on a whim at my local 7-11. Pours a very pale yellow into my pint glass. Aggressive pour produced a nice frothy head, but it dissipated almost immediately and provide only minimal lacing.

Smells a little like grassy grains, but has a "medicinal" scent to it. Not very pleasant or inviting.

Taste is a lot like the smell. Not very good.

Mouth feel is thin and fizzy.

Easy to drink, but why would you want to?

Will not purchase again.