Crazy Stallion | City Brewing Company, LLC

citybrewery.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by NeroFiddled on 11-14-2002

3.77/5  rDev +49%

pours out of the 40 ounce big mouth bottle an ordinary amber hue with a short lived thin fine head. just the slightest wisp of lace left on the glass as i sip. a fairly non offensive aroma of malt and adjunct...i almost think i'm smelling a bit of hops too....hmmmm. upon tasting, the immediate first thought is that this isn't too bad. some real malt flavour and a fairly dry finish. NO obnoxious sweet adjunt corniness and slap you silly jet fuel alcohol. this malt liquor is being drank ice cold after a hards day work and it is almost refreshing like another malt liquor fave mickey's...in fact i would say this is definitely a winner in the malt liquor category. the mouthfeel is smooth and backed up with a solid body...the aftertaste is somewhat sweet and belly warming, but pleasant and gentle in a way many other malt liquors are not.

drinkability is high for a four-o and although i poured this into a glass, i like the wide mouth bottle for future opportunities to suck down a bottle out of the brown bag. oh yeah.

3.65/5  rDev +44.3%

I picked up a 40 of this stuff for a whopping $1.97 while in Colorado. Man, if only Florida had 40s. This bottle is intimidating, honestly.

I realized I am one of the proud few to pour a 40 of malt liquor into a proper pint glass. Well, it looks the same as it did in the clear bottle. Nice little white head, though.

Smells of uber-sweet corn and that twang you get from these malt things. Not unpleasant.

Tastes like super sweet malt and a bit of alcohol. I wish I knew what the ABV was on these things. Lots of sweet fruit in here like plums, raisins, and some raspberry.

The feel is slightly creamier than water and actually feels more like beer than most macros. Sad, but true.

For what it is, this is unbelieveably drinkable. Decent flavor, goes down well, and super cheap. It's the malt liquor trifecta. This was the highlight and unanimous favorite of my recent malt liquor tasting. One craft drinker, one macro drinker that can enjoy a craft, and one just getting into beer.

3.53/5  rDev +39.5%

Malt liquor tallboy, pours a clear amber with fast fading head, no lacing. Smell: raw corn on the cob, touch of malt and alcohol. Taste: grainy and malty, apples. Mouthfeel: thin but crisp with a sharp rush of carbonation. This is not a bad tasting malt liquor.

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

3.48/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a huge 40 of this stuff a while ago for $1.99 at Amity Wine & Spirits, New Haven CT. Served chilled in a standard pint glass, though I might switch to chugging it from the bottle.

Clear piss yellow brew, frothy white head has decent retention. Smells semi-sweet with a bit of skunky lemongrass hop and metal. Taste isn't all that bad, surprisingly. Light and crisp, a bit of grainy sweetness, mild lemon pulp hop. Thin and very very chuggable. Not much malt character, more like a semi-sweet beer soda.

3.38/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$.99 for the 24 oz. can. Crazy Stallion Malt Liquor has a thick, white head (which recedes fairly quickly) and a clear, golden, somewhat bubbly appearance. The aroma is of sweet and sour grain husk, and the flavor is sweet, fruity, a bit hoppy, and bold. An alcohol burn does appear down the throat. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Crazy Stallion Malt Liquor finishes mild, crisp, and easy drinking. This one surprised me. I found it enjoyable.

RJT

3.3/5  rDev +30.4%

40 oz wide-mouth, screw-cap bottle. Contract brewed for Ferolito, Vultaggio & Sons - the people that brought you Arizona Iced Teas. They're more of a marketing company than a beverage producer, so it's interesting that they'd invest in packaging for a beer style that's mainly consumed wrapped in a brown paper bag. However, the beer pours a surprisingly rich golden colored body topped by a full, frothy bright white head that holds OK but eventually drops to just a minor collar and a flat surface. The aroma expresses a lightly fruity (apples) and gently nutty but solid maltiness. The alcohol is only minimally noticeable. A firm body combines with a fine and moderate carbonation for a smooth and mildly creamy mouthfeel. The flavor mimics the aroma: lightly fruity with a clean, sweet, and grainy maltiness. A strong percentage of adjunct is clearly used, allowing the beer to maintain its firm body but not be overwhelmed with true rich malt flavor. Bittering hops are barely present, and there is no noticeable hop flavor or aroma. Very well done, just smooth and clean sweet malt with a well hidden alcohol (although it can build on you after 20 ounces or so). A surprisingly well done malt liquor, but a little sweet on the palate.

3.26/5  rDev +28.9%

I about sprayed my shorts when I found this at the corner store for a whole $1.25, so I couldn't resist. I figured it couldn't be any worse than some of those other gut-wrenching malt liquors I've tried lately so I gave it a go. Needless to say I wasn't impressed nor was I dissapointed. For $1.25, it wasn't bad. I was expecting that overwhelming malt liquor taste but instead I was hit with a mouthful of aluminum tasting smooth. I have no idea what the alcohol content is as the can doesn't mention it anywhere to my knowledge but not to long after binging it, I felt a wee bit buzzed. I think after downing about 6 of these in rapid succession I will gain a new perspective on life. In conclusion if you're looking for something tasty, this isn't for you. If you are however seeking something buzz-worthy I'd give this a go.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

Wow, forty ounces of Crazy Horse I thought this beer was a joke when I saw it, and thought to myself there's no way hell that it's any good. The label reminded me of the Arizona Iced Tea bottles and according to Nero's review I guess they are the ones who are responsible for the bottling here. Appears a golden with a white frothy shot lived head leaving minimal lacing. As far as the aroma goes it's light but there are some nice tones here sweet grain, very clean subtle floral notes possibly some hops in there. Taste is very solid I'd imagine there is some alcohol considering the malt liquor label but it's probably the cleanest tasting malt liquor I have ever tasted sweet rolling flavor some fruit edged tones in there and not a bad beer simple light refreshing best of all no gag reflex occurs with each sip. Mouthfeel is extremely thin no texture to this beer even smooth carbonation in the sense that it's not too harsh on the throat with each gulp of this bad boy. Drinkability for a college student like myself if I'm going for the buzz this maybe an option in the future under two bucks I can't complain solid malt liquor no off flavors and refreshing plus I like the bottle and the name...Crazy Horse...Oh yeah!!!!

3.08/5  rDev +21.7%

My intro of Crazy Horse came in a 24 oz. can. Very pretty on arrival with a clear body, two fingered head and a semi dark golden colour. Carbonation was inactive.
The nose had a very light citrus hint..maybe lime.
The body is medium.
Taste has a grassy sweetness but leaves you dry.
No after lingering after taste here..just dry.
Above average for a malt liquor.

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

(40oz bottle)Pours a deep golden color, leans towards a dark golden. Decent frothy white head. Not to much that stands out on the nose, some malty aromas. Fairly smooth on the palate, slightly fruity, slight nuttiness, grainy maltiness, sweet, actually its pretty decent. Decent american malt-liquor brew....

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This is one of the five to six beers that I had a lot of in my youth.
I had a lot of this,OE,Coors,Corona,St.Ides and Bud. Nothing to be proud of,but I was young and reckless.
I remember loving "crazy Horse" beer and not really understanding that it was offensive. I would pour it from a bottle into a plastic glass and it was always amber brown with a small head that was a tad sticky. The aroma as I can recall was of sweet malts and light grains. The taste was sweet,malty and tones of corn,but not like OE-better balance, lower alcohol.
The overall feel is smooth,low carbonation and sweet grainy finish.

Notes: I remember the name change and I remember that Bed-Stuy was upset as I had friends there and when it was pulled it did not go over well. I was a young punk and I was just as upset. Looking back,I realize that the beer should have never existed. A cheap shot and I would never think of buying or drinking this again.

2.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Crazy Stallion, whose name offends me way less than Crazy Horse, ain't too bad. It is somewhat better in a bottle, but most recently I've drank a few 16oz. cans of it. It is one of the cheapest beers available, ounce for ounce, here in scenic Bed-Stuy. Its got a bit of a sharp, off-taste component to its basic malt liquor adjunct-funk, but nothing to whine about. It might just have you digging in your couch cushions and putting your shoes back on.

2.98/5  rDev +17.8%

24oz can to standard pint, pours a deep straw golden shade, foamy head retains nicely and eventually fades, high carbonation.

smells of heavy adjuncty malts, slight hops, corn

taste is dry, crisp, yeastly, malts are smooth, adjuncty vegetable corn, hop presence is barely there, good carbonation backbone, fairly easy to drink for a malt liquor

mouthfeel is crisp and corny, aftertaste leaves something to be desired but far from the worst malt liquor i've had.

2.94/5  rDev +16.2%

Well, if you are CANmited to CANs, then welcome to my world. Otherwise ...

A rocky finger of bone-white head with decent retenion. Color was a deep, golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a very mellow taste. I really enjoyed its smooth, unobtrusive dance acoss my tongue. The finish reminded me of a Ceeam Ale, Good.

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

I've been a glutton for potential punishment lately and when I saw this at the local everything store for a mere $1.15 I just couldn't help my cheap self...

Pours a rich, morning pee clear gold with a minimal head that just vanished before I blinked! Impressive carbonation right after the pour.

Smell was almost nonexistent save for a hint of what seemed like generic grain aroma. No listed abv and no hint of a strong alcohol presence either.

Taste was clean mild grain, not overly sweet, very smooth and easy drinking. No hint of hops in the least. Clean finish...Mouthfeel is on the thin side and carbonation stayed strong.

You can't really go wrong for the price although it IS a completely forgettable beer. Cheers!

40 ounce bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It has a golden hue to it. Generous amounts of rocky, white head cling to the sides of the glass.

S - I get the typical grain and grass of a malt liquor, but I also get some soap which leans toward some floral hops.

T - It really lacks flavor. Typically, malt liquors have an alcohol taste and some off flavors. I get a little of the grain and grass, but it tastes more like an adjunct lager.

M - Thin

O - This is a pretty tame malt liquor. It is weaker tasting than most. It goes down easy and was a great way to celebrate today's holiday.

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Pale yellow with a big foamy head that quickly recedes into a skim. Smell is grits and faint toasted grain. Tastes sweet upfront with spent grain in the finish. Medium bodied and not really a good malt liquor IMO, I'm guessing the ABV is fairly low for the style, somewhere in the 5-6% range. More like a cheap "ice" beer than malt liquor to my taste buds.

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%

2.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Not bad, as malt liquors go, not that it was very good, or anything, it still wsa pretty bad. Strong alcohol, corn, a little grain in the taste and smell. This is better than many malt liquors, compared to most other beers this stuff is downright terible, but compare it to Evil Eye and it is great.

They should've called it Wyld Stalyn, to capitalize on all that PR the could get from associating themselves with Bill and Ted. I also read somewhere that this stuff was orignally called "Crazy Horse" and featured a picture of a native american on the can, but it was deemed offensive for some reason, and got changed to a horse (but they kept the hairstyle).

2.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

It's a cheap Malt Liquor, pretty much just a session beer. Tastes exactly like the price would lead you to assume. This is more of an "I want to get drunk" kind of beer than a fancy, tasty beer, but at 99 cents for a 24 ounce can, can you really argue with it?

2.68/5  rDev +5.9%

24oz can (99ยข) served in a large glass beer mug.

L - clear copper color with a white head that thinned out in a hurry.

S - sweet, grainy aroma.

T - very sweet tasting with a light touch of sourness on the finish but still sticky sweet on the lips.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation for hearty burping.

O - worth a try for the price and nostalgia if you remember the original Crazy Horse Malt Liquor.

Crazy Stallion from City Brewing Company, LLC