La Crosse Lager | City Brewing Company, LLC

City Brewing Company, LLC
Wisconsin, United States
citybrewery.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brand possibly owned by Melanie Brewing Co.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-21-2003

25%

1.25/5  rDev -58.9%

1.25/5  rDev -58.9%

1.35/5  rDev -55.6%

If memory serves me correctly, I bought a couple of La Crosse CANs at Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI during my annual trip to the Great Taste of the Midwest and search for CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM). If I am incorrect, local in-person trader, tone77, brought them by for me, but he has not reviewed them, so I am dubious.

From the CAN: "Fully Kraeusened"; "Double Brewed with Pure Artesian Water."; "Clean, Smooth Finish".

The Crack was nice and loud and I was ready for an inverted Glug, despite it being a tall boy, which CAN be tricky to maneuver. If you are trying it for yourself, the trick is to know when to begin to back off. Rarely CAN I get the entire beer into the glass initially, but I CAN get a lot of head from this style of pour. Here, I got just better than a finger of rocky, foamy, bone-white head with reasonable retention. Color was a pale sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of silage and I would like to know who's zoomin' who, here. APL, my Aunt Fanny's fanny! This is nothing more than another AAL. My first draught from the glass was all that I needed to reinforce my initial thoughts. Hell, it was damned close in taste to and one of its Wisconsin brethren's beers from the dreaded Minhas! I swear that I could taste PolyVinyl Chloride (PVC) in suspension in this beer. I began to hear the tromp of heavy footsteps in the alley as the Cybermen were coming for me. I began to weep because I have eluded them so often that it it is hard to count and now I was being taken unawares! It tasted like stale corn chips blended with old tobacco in the mouth. Finish was metallic, maize-y, and I swear that when I inhaled, I could smell cigar or cigarette smoke. OMG! This hearkens back to the early days of The CANQuest (TM), when the bulk of CANned beers that were available were AALs, but that has changed for the better of late. It was like nostalgia drinking, but without the nostalgia. Brrr. Oof.

1.75/5  rDev -42.4%

I have read on the internet this was the original old style recipe, Bullshit. This is an average beer that is scarcely on the shelves in Chicago anymore.
If you want old style buy old style.It is much better than this swill.
I could not even give this beer away.

2.22/5  rDev -27%

So there is a large mouth bass on this 2003 collector series beer. #5 of 6 in the series. So i give this beer a nice appearance rating on the can, not the beer. Its a standard shitty lager, not worthy of much mention, but sometimes a nice can can really make the beer worth buying.

2.22/5  rDev -27%

Solid swill, had a couple at my wife's sisters house the other day. Aroma and appearance are nothing to write home about. There is a fuller mouthfeel and a maltier taste than most commercial swills. Nothing spectacular but decent on a hot humid day while hanging out on the front porch.

2.25/5  rDev -26%

2.39/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.49/5  rDev -18.1%

This is nothing like a good fresh bottle of this American semi-macro. This review is for a can. The smell is weird bordering on bad. I can't describe it. Just not good. The taste was allright. Malt and grain. Appearance was ok with nice gold and a 1" head. The smell affected the taste. I will take a fresh bottle anyday.

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Lacrosse lager, in a collectible 2003 can. The picture is a fish and is titled “double or nothing.” Well that’s the good news, the bad news is what in the hell is this beer doing being ranked above 4?? It’s cheap, yes, but not that cheap. Pale golden color, somewhat of a head, that dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma, clean, but a little soapy/adjunct. The taste is standard American lager, with more than a little adjunct flavor, I’m thinking corn syrup, but it might just be straight corn. Light bodied, easy drinking, but can’t hold a candle to PBR or Stroh’s. I paid only $2.99 a six, and it was priced to perfection.

2.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a crystal clear golden with a thiner than thin bleach white head that leaves no lacing.The smells are not great,but are sweet and slightly fruity,I also detect some graham cracker within.This tastes much different than it smells.It's similar to many other macros,it has some underlying caramel flavors along with some semi offensive(to some)skunky flavors,I actually like these funky notes a little,I guess comparing it to a BMC this actually has some real flavor(not great flavor,but,flavor none the less).Light bodied,and average carbonation round off a pretty boaring,but better than an average macro.

2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

Courtesy of Vinny’s at the La Crosse airport. Clear straw color with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Nil lacing. Aroma of mild hops and wet paper bag. Light-bodied and crisp with a decent hoppy character, along with a hint of malt. The finish is bitter but not flavorful. All in all this is an average Lager.

2.73/5  rDev -10.2%

Wohoo, I'm drinking a beer with a fish on the can!
A friend told me to try this beer, suggesting it as a "very good light beer".
I found it in a 15pk cans for $6.

Poured from a can, clean and light yellow with a lofty head.
Not as stinky as some mass produced domestics.
The mellow carbonation offers a pleasant mouthfeel.
The flavor is light, and presents no aftertaste, which makes it very drinkable on a hot summer day.
Yes, it's good for a cheap beer, but the flavor is no more intense than say, Bud Light.

2.73/5  rDev -10.2%

Ahh, the fully krausened Lacrosse Lager. Let's give 'er a go...

Appearance - pours the basic golden straw color, a thin white cover. Decent bead action in the glass.

Aroma - a mixture of grain and sour apple. That's a first for an all-malt. Starts to wear on me after a bit.

Taste - hmm. Grainy like I expect, and per the sniff, quite apple-ly too. It's kind of like a shot of apple cider in the beer. Unusual profile, I think I'd go for it more if I knew what to expect. A little strange outta the gate though. I'm undecided on this one.

Mouthfeel - thin and crisp per the style, no surprises here.

Drinkability - light, a bit sweet per the apple flavor, a little tasty and a little weird at the same time.

La Crosse Lager from City Brewing Company, LLC