Faxe Royal Strong | Royal Unibrew A/S

Added by canucklehead on 01-28-2004

View: Beers
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.43/5  rDev -12%

A: pours a golden yellow with tiny bits of sediment floating around. Nice 2 1/2 finger bubbly head that reduces to a thin foam and leaves a bit of lacing. Almost no rising carbonation bubbles at all.

S: grassy hops up front with hints of cooked vegetables and a slight touch of brown sugar sweetness

T: not what I expected - floral hoppiness with definite tones of sweet ripe fruit and a subtle grassy finish. Decently complex, but I can also taste the alcohol in the background.

M: medium to heavy bodied but a tad watery. A subtle carbonation snap and goes down somewhat smoothly.

D: I was very disappointed with this brewery's premium lager. I think this one is a tad better but still I'm not too impressed. I was surprised by the floral hoppiness too it and the rich fruit flavours, but it is decently heavy and I think they could have done a better job of masking the alcohol. Nevertheless, it definitely delivers an easy buzz for your buck and would make a good catch-up beer. Bottom line: too watery and too sweet for my liking so I don't think I could handle any more than one of these at a time. So unless I have some major catching up to do, I don't think I will buy this one again.

2.25/5  rDev -18.5%

8% abv.

A: Clear, pale yellow; fizzy white head dissipates rather quickly (no retention or lace).

S: Mild aroma of toffee & bread with hints of floral & metallic hops. Some buttery-popcorn in the background.

T: Alcohol & butter are up front. Hop flavour is really metallic & slightly floral. Not much bitterness or sweetness. Weird. Make sure it's ICE COLD!

M: It's well attenuated for its strength, I suspect there's a good portion of adjuct sugar here. Moderate body is fairly dry. Moderate carbonation.

D: Best buzz for the buck?

3.46/5  rDev +25.4%

I wasn't sure what to expect from this, it was a bit of a random choice at the LC. 500ml can poured into a Pilsner glass.

This is a really good looking lager, very clean looking, vicious carbonation, nice full looking head and nice body. Smell is very much of corn adjuncts, very sweet, but the first sip is really surprisingly hoppy. This beer is much more bitter than I thought it would be, but thats not a bad thing, most Euro Lagers tend to be a bit too much on the malts. Great bite on the tongue, smooth going down. It sticks in the throat a bit, but man, it hits you hard and fast. I couldn't drink more than a few of these before being quite buzzed. This isn't really all that bad though, I'm surprised...

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

After finding Faxe Premium to be rather drinkable, I decided to give the Strong a try (esp. now that my local liquor store has picked it up).

Nice pale gold colour, okay head. Smells too sweet, like corn syrup. "Glucose syrup, maize" on the ingredients would probably explain that.

Taste is similar to the Premium: malt, hop bitterness and corn mash. Now with extra alcohol bite!

Okay...but a bit overpowering. I might as well just buy the premium and save 15 cents.

3.48/5  rDev +26.1%

This is the slightly less powerful cousin to the extra strong
version, but it still packs a punch. Not too sweet and fairly
well made this a beer is way too easy to drink for such a high'
alcohol level. This may be the best "catch up" drink I have
encountered for relatively little money. It's not a winter warmer
but rather a hangover in waiting

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last