Faxe Extra Strong | Royal Unibrew A/S

royalunibrew.com

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-04-2002

Reviews by pootz:

Yaaaughhhhashuuhhhg...muuuwaaghrg...gakkk/ Now to fill the 75 character requirement is a rendition of the London philharmonic’s last rendering of Mozart’s Salzberg jam at the yakking bird as transposed for the hummer...yaaaammmm...da da da..yas hummm yackghtchhhh...and YES as long as you ask....I DID pour it down the sink after only 3 "hits"...corn doesn't even taste this bad in "shine".

1.64/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I want to be clear here: this is by far the worst beer I have ever had in my life. That's saying a lot for someone who tried hundreds other brews already.

Use this to flush the toilet.

2.01/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearnace - Poured from a 500 ml can into a 16 oz bar glass, pours a clear straw gold with a 2 finger head that lasts. when it fades it leaves a film over the top of the beer.

Aroma - alchohol, artifical grape, corn. thats it.

Taste - This beer litterally tastes like grape jolly rancher and corn with a strong alcohol flavor in the back. wow, I'm fairy buzzed at the time of this review and the taste is awful.

Feel - very watery but not smooth the alcohol is making this very rough. I wont lye I'm a huge fan of strong beers, some stronger than this but this is pretty gross.

Overall - If I had been completely sober at the time of this review this would be a drain pour, Ive still got a ways to go but I feel like if I pour it its wasted money. Don't buy this crap lol Cheers!

3.04/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have to be honest, I'm presently drinking a 500 ml can of Faxe 10% Extra Strong Beer, that I won in a bet over the Stanley Cup playoffs (go Blackhawks!). I am a Viking at heart, so the logo's kind of cool. I like the color as it resembles someone else's clear healthy urine specimen on the nurses station counter top. The aroma is reminiscent of the bed pads I wash in the long term care facility laundry room that I currently work in, so it is familiar and quite nutty, i might add. The taste is somewhat marmaladish, leaving me with a comforting tingly sensation on my palate, satisfying my desire for the bold, pungent flavor I was expecting in a beer of this strength. It is perfectly carbonated, boasting 43 tiny bubbles (no, 44...there's 45, 46, ..47, 48) that ascend into a beautiful 2 finger head with an eyelet lace. As i sip again, I am noticing something else... ..I think it is a hint of cabbage (or perhaps rhubarb) that seems to settle into a delightfully smooth aftertaste that lingers on. I actually really like this beer and don't mind the intensity as it becomes closer to room temperature. The ABV is high but the price is low ($3.35) so it is perfect for anyone who wants a good beer buzz early in the morning before going to their McJob. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely drink Faxe 10 again, especially knowing that I only need one can to forget about the bad day I may have had washing the linens in a nursing home. Ok, so here's the bottom of the can. ...last drop..alrighty then, there you have it. Faxe 10 is ok, if you ask me. Now i'm ready to tuck in.

1.75/5  rDev -22.2%

1.49/5  rDev -33.8%

I keep passing by the huge Faxe section at the LCBO and figured I should probably see what the deal was. After drinking Extra Strong, I might abandon the whole project...

What poured out the can actually looked very good. I'm not sure if I lucked out or if something happened in shipping (the freshness date is April 2011, so we're good there). Medium golden hue, lots of frothy head that holds its weight, good lacing.

And the praise ends there.

I have a bit of a cold, so perhaps my nose isn't at full capacity, but all I could smell is alcohol and sugar. Not pleasant; it's like fortified beer...My friends couldn't detect anything else.

Sugary alcohol with a bit of fruit and malts. Compare this to a good Belgian Strong Ale for an idea of what NOT to do. Like they added a shot of vodka to each can...

Oily, well carbonated, but with a sickening alcohol finish.

No thanks. Might not be bad to get me a bit drunk with this cold, but I'd rather drink something else. A big PASS for this one.

Drain pour.

2.8/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Huge alcohol amount overhelms the potential composition

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Picked up this one on a whim while visiting a liquor store in downtown Toronto.

(Note to self: Learn to resist whims)

One would expect something boasting a 10% ABV to have the appearance other than that of Budweiser. Sadly, such is not the case from this brew from Denmark. It poured a clear, fizzy yellow in color with a crackling short-lived white head. Aromas are sweet...not a malty sweet but a candy factory sweetness. Flavor is nasty. A grainy-corny front that is quickly shoved aside by a sickly sweetness that gets worse as it warmed up. Finishes with a most unpleasant alcohol burn, much like wood feels when paint remover is applied to it. Syrupy mouthfeel and virtually no drinkability. On the plus side, I've now tried a beer from Denmark.

1.5/5  rDev -33.3%

1.92/5  rDev -14.7%

1L, solid-ass black can - something I wouldn't mind brandishing in a street fight, on the way back from where I might have purchased this one. However, in a more pertinent vein, the 'glucose syrup' in the ingredients list does very little for my initial perceptions of this lumbering beast.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, foamy, and certainly bubbly off-white head, which leaves a solid, thick, and raised bubbly wall of lace around the glass as it sinks away.

It smells of sweet, evil pastry grain, fruity (stale red grapes, mostly) women's makeup case odors, a touch of bewildered yeast, and mild sugary alcohol. The taste is, well the taste is where any goodwill I might have once possessed finally goes to die - overly sweet plain grain, heavy metallic booze, unholy drupe fruit, and skanky, um, well, stank. Urp.

The carbonation is on the low end, rendering a slick, medium-weight sideshow of cloying sugar atrocity - so, smooth, yeah, if that's your sort of thing. It finishes with a musty grain sweetness, awash in overly forward booze tendencies, and heavy suggestions of nail polish nightmares.

What a fucking mess - why there isn't a European category of cheap (is there any other kind) malt liquors, I'll never know. Overall, this is sickly, pandering, and barely less than gag-inducing. A whole bloody litre of this dreck is way more than wishful thinking, my Danish friends - I respectfully request my kroner back.

3.21/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Faxe Brewery "Faxe Extra Strong Beer"
1,0 Liter can, "Mindestens halter bis: E 08 11 2018 G: 13 43" and sampled on 26 09 2017

Look: Golden in color with fingerprint-through-the-glass clarity beneath a short head of bright white that hold briefly and then drops to a standard collar, but which also then continues to leave decent lacing behind.
Smell: The alcohol is clear as are some other esters due to a high fermentation. It's quite fruity with a lot of apple.
Taste: Unfortunately the flavor follows the aroma. The alcohol is too clear, and the fruitiness is too high - the label doesn't state whether it's an ale or a lager, but I'll assume it's a lager, and for that it's too rough. Even as an ale it's too rough. It's also sweetish and fruity, and only balanced by the alcohol and some limited bitterness. The finish is sweetish and dry at the same time (?) with the alcohol and stiff bitterness fighting off the residual malt.
Feel: Medium bodied and gently crisp.
Overall: Poorly brewed with flaws.
3.75/2.75/3/3.75/3.75

1.25/5  rDev -44.4%

2.88/5  rDev +28%

Quick fading slightly off white head settles quickly over clear gold with light amber highlights. Sweet sharp/perfumy nose, I get a light whiff of fruit too...very slight adjuncty note. Taste is lightly fruity at first then you get a sharp metallic hop attack that tastes kinda 'off', semi full bodied, lingering sharpness and as it warms you get some adjunct flavor and then cheap alcohol. Ends sharp and none too appealing. Drink it cold or pass lol

2.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.06/5  rDev -52.9%

Tastes like a poison.

2.43/5  rDev +8%

Pours a thick amber with a white head that fades quickly. Smells strongly of alcohol, grain, and hops. The taste is rather overwhelmed by the alcohol, and is quite bitter. The beer is sticky in the mouth, and difficult to drink, which is probably good, because I had a decent buzz after finishing the pint. More than two or three of these and I'd be pretty loaded, which is pretty much the point I think, and the reason that my college town liquor store has so much in stock.

1.25/5  rDev -44.4%

2.76/5  rDev +22.7%

ok so this is my first beer review, im a canadian boy, just turned legal drinking age. for many a year i have loved beer.

so faxe extra strong good for college parties not so good if u wanna remember them. its a very strong and bitter tasting beer, and for some reason its thick as all hell. i dont mind it its a good way to start the night or finish it off, but no more then one, cuz this beer will get u done.

lets face it this is a vikings drink, or wanna be vikings drink. from the appearance of the can you know your in for it. its scary. i still will drink faxe extra strong just because im cheap and for $3.15 at the beer store im in.

2.09/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.4/5  rDev +6.7%

saw this sitting on the counter at the store checkout. someone had left it there and figuring i never tried it i snatched it up.

looking at the scores i will probably regret this decision.

the can i have looks different than the one pictured. black can with red label.

poures pale yellow with large cascading head. looks like mass produced lager.

picking up hops and malt in the nose. smells pretty standard uninspired.

starts with bitterness than quickly turns into the taste of ethanol. all i taste in this beer is alcohol. it is awful. not going to finish this crap. blech

1.34/5  rDev -40.4%

Can: Poured a golden yellow color beer with a quite large frothy pure white head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of alcoholic phenols with some grossly sweet adjunct. Taste is also dominated by grossly sweetened adjunct with some very apparent alcohol. Body has an oily texture with good carbonation. I wasn't' expected much but this is a lot worse then I had expected with loads of alcohol and adjunct easily detectable -drain pour.

1.59/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.78/5  rDev +23.6%

Tasted on May 12, 2009.

A: Copper color with some head that disappear quite fast.
S: Malt + Alcohol.
T: Alcohol + Malt. The alcohol is taste easily. The beer is round which is probably due to the alcohol. Absolutely no bitterness.
M: Medium-rounded bodied

Well, nothing extra in this beer... just a simple beer. Nothing more nothing less.

Faxe Extra Strong from Royal Unibrew A/S