Faxe Extra Strong

Notes:
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 51 | Ratings: 116
2.19/5  rDev -2.2%

Faxe is the choice beer of many heavy drinkers in my area, so if you are scrounging for a cheap buzz, you know this beer will always treat you right.

Now as a beer to drink with friends while playing poker, or to share with someone over dinner.... Not a good idea. Everyone could lose their lunch.

The smell is offensive, and with the taste it only gets worse. This taste is like a sharp, metallic goo, reminiscent of corn syrup and vodka.

I have a hard stomach for alcoholic beverages, but I feel close to vomiting every time I have drank this. I really do not like to bash a beer, but they honestly did not do a good job with this one.

Colt 45 is much better than Faxe 10%

1.49/5  rDev -33.5%

500 ml can 10.0% abv

Appearance: Nice golden colour, decent, well lasting head that leaves a little lace. The beer does appear over carbonated though.

Smell: Bleeeghghgh, this smells like corn flour mixed with vodka... There is no redeeming factor in this aroma, no hints of malt or hops. This has to be one of the worst smelling beers around.

Taste: As with the smell, the taste is just bad... sweet maize and bitter, cheap booze (reminds me of super cheap vodka).

Mouthfeel: medium/light body, reasonable carbonation, but dreadful alcohol burn...

Drinkability: Yes I am a college student and as any good student I do enjoy a periodic booze-up. But even if I was very well intoxicated and this was all that there was, I wouldn't drink it.

1.49/5  rDev -33.5%

I keep passing by the huge Faxe section at the LCBO and figured I should probably see what the deal was. After drinking Extra Strong, I might abandon the whole project...

What poured out the can actually looked very good. I'm not sure if I lucked out or if something happened in shipping (the freshness date is April 2011, so we're good there). Medium golden hue, lots of frothy head that holds its weight, good lacing.

And the praise ends there.

I have a bit of a cold, so perhaps my nose isn't at full capacity, but all I could smell is alcohol and sugar. Not pleasant; it's like fortified beer...My friends couldn't detect anything else.

Sugary alcohol with a bit of fruit and malts. Compare this to a good Belgian Strong Ale for an idea of what NOT to do. Like they added a shot of vodka to each can...

Oily, well carbonated, but with a sickening alcohol finish.

No thanks. Might not be bad to get me a bit drunk with this cold, but I'd rather drink something else. A big PASS for this one.

Drain pour.

1.34/5  rDev -40.2%

Can: Poured a golden yellow color beer with a quite large frothy pure white head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of alcoholic phenols with some grossly sweet adjunct. Taste is also dominated by grossly sweetened adjunct with some very apparent alcohol. Body has an oily texture with good carbonation. I wasn't' expected much but this is a lot worse then I had expected with loads of alcohol and adjunct easily detectable -drain pour.

2.76/5  rDev +23.2%

ok so this is my first beer review, im a canadian boy, just turned legal drinking age. for many a year i have loved beer.

so faxe extra strong good for college parties not so good if u wanna remember them. its a very strong and bitter tasting beer, and for some reason its thick as all hell. i dont mind it its a good way to start the night or finish it off, but no more then one, cuz this beer will get u done.

lets face it this is a vikings drink, or wanna be vikings drink. from the appearance of the can you know your in for it. its scary. i still will drink faxe extra strong just because im cheap and for $3.15 at the beer store im in.

2.78/5  rDev +24.1%

Tasted on May 12, 2009.

A: Copper color with some head that disappear quite fast.
S: Malt + Alcohol.
T: Alcohol + Malt. The alcohol is taste easily. The beer is round which is probably due to the alcohol. Absolutely no bitterness.
M: Medium-rounded bodied

Well, nothing extra in this beer... just a simple beer. Nothing more nothing less.

1.66/5  rDev -25.9%

This is a highly carbonated brew. It almost looks like ginger ale, due to the amount of CO2 pumped into this beast. A finger thick amount of soapy white head came about, and dissipated rather quickly. The body is darker than I expected.

In the aroma I detected a dextrin like character. Add a hint of lemony hops in with it, and that's about it.

This tastes just about as boozy as a beer can get. There is a hefty tobacco like bite, and a nasty medicine like finish.

This feels like I took a watery macro lager and dumped cheap strong booze into it. Once the palate becomes accustomed to all of this nonsense (or the more buzzed one gets), it's easier to go down.

This beer was invented for one reason and one only: To knock you on your butt. There is actually zero drinking enjoyment to behold here. It's kind of shocking they allow this stuff to be sold in Germany and make it so readily available, vice a nice Belgian Tripel.

Ingredients listed: Water, malt, glucose syrup, corn, and finally hops.

2.83/5  rDev +26.3%

This devil stuff, the few times I've drank this, i can barely remember what happened. Anyway the review...

This is a malt liquor, but with more kick than your OE. (old english) I gave this beer a perfect drinkability, because once you get that first can down, its smooth sailing and the rest go down like velvet.

The one amazing thing i noticed about this beer, is that, when you take a sip, there is no taste, literally no taste, then all of a sudden a, sickly sweet, metallic boozy aftertaste hits you. This stuff is vile.

This is the ultimate beer for a cheap buzz, get one down and its smooth sailing.

2.12/5  rDev -5.4%

Malt Liquor
Never sicker
just drank one
10% only for fun
sipped it down
made me frown
taste was rad
if your into macrobrew fad
smell was the most
in your nose as glucose
tell your friends, wassup!
come and drink this corn syrup!
cuz u will get liquored up!
and pass out in a rut!
cuz in denmark we dont like beerz that are tart
as a matter of fact we hate traditional wert
we skip the ones with any hop heart
lets just slam the ones that make us shart!

2.6/5  rDev +16.1%

Certainly not the best brew available, but not the worst. In comparison between the Faxe Premium and the Extra Strong, I would most certainly take the Premium.

The colouration was light pale, yet not too impressed: the head was light, lacing was at most decent. But the taste was laking! At least it wasn't a 40oz of malt!

Th mouthfeel was surprisingly non-offensive, tolerable for the alcohol content. Drinkability, unless you want to get drunk; ummm...really quick and haven;t eaten a thing, if you plan on drinking a few, over, I would say, an hour. But not impressive!

Overall, okay, but not great. I would expect more from the Faxe Brewery!

2.68/5  rDev +19.6%

500mL Can. This beer serves one purpose, quick intoxication on a tight budget. Excellent for those college students who are looking for just that. However, for a beer of higher ABV, it remains decently drinkable and does make an excellent night cap. All in all, great fro college students, decent as a single serving night closer.

2.35/5  rDev +4.9%

It's malt liquor. From Europe. So it's classy malt liquor. Light yellow, with a small amount of head that quickly disappears. Smell reminded me of cheap wine, oddly. Sweet. I guess it's malty sweet, but I've never detected malts that were so winelike. Alcohol smell as well. Like one would find in... Cheap wine. Taste wasn't too bad. Very sweet, but not sickly sweet. Slight metallic twang as well. Mouthfeel was, oddly enough, very smooth. Slight bitter aftertaste, more from the alcohol than any hops used. If any hops were used at all. It's one of the better malt liquors I've had, but it's still malt liquor. Cheap, high alcohol beer meant to get you drunk. Not meant to be enjoyed.

2.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Straight up I will tell you that I tried this beer as a joke. I fully expected to hate it before even trying it so my review may be a bit biased.

On pouring, I thought to myself, how can a beer that is so strong look like a generic lager. boring straw yellow, and quickly dissipating head. "Oh joy!" I sarcastically exclaimed.

But then, it hit me. What the hell am I doing? Has my life gotten to this point already?

Sureley it has I thought as I smelled it's fruity essence.

"Here I go" i thought as I braced myself for what I was sure would amount to suicide of my tastebuds.

And then it happened. I found my meaning in life.

SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS! This seductive brew is unlike anything i have ever tasted! RAPTURE ON HIGH!!! It's syrupy sweetness clinging to my mouth as a JOLT of copper smacks me in the throat. "PRAISE BE!!! " I said as the volatile fumes took hold of my brain.

That is my last memory before waking up in a ditch covered in marmalade.

To be honest. I'm afraid to try this beer again.

1.45/5  rDev -35.3%

A - Clear, dark yellow, head is mediocre.

S - Great big artificial grape aromas. (You know... the purple juice)

T - Bleah. Boozy to the extreme. Tastes like watered down vodka. Should I have expected this? Straight up nasty, bitter chemically aftertaste. It buuurns. The bumwine of the beer world. This is nasty-ass stuff.

M - It buuurns.

D - I tried to feed this to my drain, but it refused.

Worst beer ever.

2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

Wow! This kicked me in the face as soon as soon it went into my mouth. Everything about this beer is super strong. The taste is extreamly sweet, malty and alcohalic. Almost overpowering at first.

The aftertaste is is strong but disapears after a while, similar to taking a shot of hard liqour.

A can or two of this can get you a really good buzz, which is probably the only reason to drink it. If your looking to get super drunk super fast then I would recommend this, otherwise, why not get some fine scotch?

2.43/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a thick amber with a white head that fades quickly. Smells strongly of alcohol, grain, and hops. The taste is rather overwhelmed by the alcohol, and is quite bitter. The beer is sticky in the mouth, and difficult to drink, which is probably good, because I had a decent buzz after finishing the pint. More than two or three of these and I'd be pretty loaded, which is pretty much the point I think, and the reason that my college town liquor store has so much in stock.

1.48/5  rDev -33.9%

OHHHH DAMN!!

This is retched shit, I kid you not. My friend picked this up for me the other night when I was looking to get wasted and this is by far the most diabolical lager ever produced. I mean, Danish people have gotta have something else to be proud of.

First you snap the can and you take a wif and it has a sweet metallic vegetable smell, but not in a good way. It's too offensive

I didn't even look at the brew, I saw some of it fall on the table, not worthy of a clean glass... I thought that I would get an exotic Euro beer but it's pale and the carbonation is ever present. Like liquor soda or something to that effect.

Taste... why would you want to. It breaks down as something that attacks the mouth and makes the stomach churn. Sweet and dangerous, the copper and alcohol attacks in the background.

This brew is only worth buying if you want to get wasted and want a beer that I'm sure has just been mixed with wood alcohol

1.68/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear solidly gold colour. Just a short white head, no lace.

This is one of those beers that basically tries to muscle you into submission with a high alcohol content. I've had some nice 10% or better beers, but this ain't one of them.

Minimum aroma and flavour, raw hard alcohol mouth feel. No sublety, no dimension. And not even really much of a skullcrusher when it's all said and done.

2.41/5  rDev +7.6%

Presentation: 500ml can, 10% ABV

Appearance: Nice golden color. Interesting first look and head.

Smell: It smells strong alcohol and it is dissappears quickly.

Taste: Too shy. Maybe some hops on the end, but it lacks taste. The alcohol and the sparking takes all.

Mouthfeel: In a blind taste, it could be compared to rhum and coke as much this lager is sparking in your mouth.

Drinkability: Quite strange for a beer. Ok, that's a strong lager, but it's like an alcohoolic soda. It could be ok to get loaded fast, but for quality drinking, I would choose something else. In the strong beers category, it seems that Unibroue products are much better...

2.43/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in the 500 mL nitro-looking (but not nitrogenated) can into a pils glass. The color is straw gold with a foamy white head. The smell is very strong alcohol with a touch of a DMS-ish sweetness. The taste is defintely alcohol strong (slightly burning), with a malt that has a bit of the adjunct vegetable taste to it, mostly sweet, and the aftertaste is fairly cloying and a little repellent. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, with the alcohol and the adjunct taste, I can't say that this would be a favorite.

Thanks to trbeer for this one (no, seriously!). Well, it's not terrible, but not exactly great either. A definite vegetable flavor mixed with the higher alcohol....if I was looking for super malt liquor, this might be it, but other than that, I tried it but seriously doubt I'd look for this again. Well, at least I didn't have to support the evil Carlsburg empire to get a review from Denmark

1.78/5  rDev -20.5%

OK, I swear this used to be better...

Pours an attractive clear amber with a rapidly dissipating white head. Aroma of hops and whoa! Too much alcohol! Taste was very strong bitter nasty alcohol and a bit of hops. Mouthfeel was stingy and awkward. I used to love this stuff, but now I don't know, I think they changed it. This brew has degraded into a "choke it down and get drunk fast" beer... What a shame.

1.62/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a surprisingly deep gold color with a decent off white head and plenty of lace streaks. Strangely, I only saw about five bubble while looking into the glass for a while. Maybe I got a poorly packaged can. The smell is of caustic overwhelming alcohol and some slight saltyness. The taste begins with a massive hit of alcohol fire then trails of into some alcohol spicyness and German malts. The hops are very weak and only detectable in their bittering potential. The mouthfeel is pretty nasty, it makes me think of an 'aluminum aged' beer for some reason. The alcohol is noticeable though this beer is pretty cheap (though I think Kasteel Brune is still a little cheaper, and a far better beer). Its subpar, though strong.

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked up this one on a whim while visiting a liquor store in downtown Toronto.

(Note to self: Learn to resist whims)

One would expect something boasting a 10% ABV to have the appearance other than that of Budweiser. Sadly, such is not the case from this brew from Denmark. It poured a clear, fizzy yellow in color with a crackling short-lived white head. Aromas are sweet...not a malty sweet but a candy factory sweetness. Flavor is nasty. A grainy-corny front that is quickly shoved aside by a sickly sweetness that gets worse as it warmed up. Finishes with a most unpleasant alcohol burn, much like wood feels when paint remover is applied to it. Syrupy mouthfeel and virtually no drinkability. On the plus side, I've now tried a beer from Denmark.

Yaaaughhhhashuuhhhg...muuuwaaghrg...gakkk/ Now to fill the 75 character requirement is a rendition of the London philharmonic’s last rendering of Mozart’s Salzberg jam at the yakking bird as transposed for the hummer...yaaaammmm...da da da..yas hummm yackghtchhhh...and YES as long as you ask....I DID pour it down the sink after only 3 "hits"...corn doesn't even taste this bad in "shine".

1.7/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a pale sick yellow colour with a thick foamy head that dissapates into a skeleton of itself. Smells like corn, cut grass, musty urine (oh, what a plus.... ha ha). Has a slick mouthfeel with average carbonation. The taste is one of high alcohol and horrible syrupy badness. It's a bit like a medicine. I could detect a faint grape tart to it. This beer is very sticky. No thanks.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast