Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown | Tyranena Brewing Company

tyranena.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by Winter on 11-13-2004

1.62/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A - Pours a chestnut brown color with copper tints. A one finger tan head has a little bit above average retention. No lacing here. There are some very small carbonation bubbles heading to the top.

S - Not much of a nose here, but what I do smell is not good. I get some chemical smelling roasted malts with some scent that is trying to be bourbon but fails miserably.

T - Watery roasted malts with a mutated chemical bourbon taste. After that there is some watered down brown sugar. Then there is a stale plastic taste to finish. This is awful.

M - Way too watery. But then again, I'm glad these tastes are watered down because I don't know If I could even finish my review if the were not.

D - I'm pouring this down the sink after I finish typing this. If you are going to attempt bourbon aging, do it right.

1.83/5  rDev -50.8%

Its a bourban barrel aged brown ale.
I have come to the conclusion that beer from this brewer is not for me.
I'm not even going to do a traditional review of this one. I'm a little ticked at my money spent.

I pick up malt in the nose, go to taste it...and get flavor of bourban, some wood and then blamo! Chalk and sour old cheese, and waaaay over carbonated.. I think they might have a problem with their water.

I'm pissed, but its a lesson learned. I'll Stay away from this brewery, I still have 2 more flavors to review from them too.
I hate chugging beer, but had to with this, I didnt want to dump out another one.

They got their revenge allright...on my tastebuds.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured cold into a Sam Adams Lager glass.

A=Very frothy head of 1/2" that lasted over a minute. But the color of the beer had an unappetizing grayish tint to the amber brown.

S=Non-existant...nothing...nada.

T=Like watered down bourbon. I could not detect anything resembling a beer until about halfway through the serving...even then, the bourbon taste dominated--felt-like I was drinking a boilermaker.

M=No problems here.

D=Hard to drink...was like drinking one watered down shot after another.

If I want this taste, I'll just make a bourbon and water.

2.52/5  rDev -32.3%

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev -28%

Poured into my SA perfect pint glass

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin cream colored head. Retention is minimal, but it does leave a little lacing. Not bad overall, just not anything impressive.

S: Honestly, the first scent that I pick up is bittersweet chocolate and oak.. maybe a slight bourbon nose. Some nuttiness, too. I expected more, though.

T: Ok, I know this is fresh.. we just started getting this in Indiana.. the taste is really unappealing. I'm considering a drain pour. I get the taste of stale malts and rotting oak and then it just fall flat. blah

M: Medium bodied, and enjoyable. It's a shame the taste doesn't hold up.

D: Well, unless you have a severe cold and can't really smell or taste this beer, then I wouldn't really consider it drinkable. At least not enjoyable.

I will stick to the rest of the Tyranena line-up, which is fantastic!

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%

A - Pours a chestnut brown. A little head but No lacing.

S - Not much of a nose here. Some hints of vanilla but lacks much character.

T - Watery roasted malts. After that there is some watered down brown sugar. I was let down by the fact it was supposedly barrell aged.

M - Way too watery. Very thin on the palette.

D - I'm not very excited and probably wouldnt go out of my way to drink this again.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Guinness tulip. Bottled on 03 MAR 10. A hard pour resulted in only a modest tan head. The body was a dull amber/brown, with some haze.

The smell was bourbon and sweet, syrupy.

The taste was sweet and bourbon-y. That's it. I suppose a brown ale can't really carry the bourbon aging.

The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected. There was a decent amount of carbonation.

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured brown in color but very thin and almost transparent around the edges. Not much of a head, but the head that did form quickly disippitated leaving a thing filmy ring around the edge. Nice and shiny. Alas, no lacing.

Nose was slightly metallic tasting with some strong bourbon tones. I was able to pull out some slight floral tones.

Flavor is first and foremost full of bourbon. Hardly my favorite hard liquor so I find it a bit repulsive. Water flavors then rise up and I really struggle to find any malts. Some hoppiness towards the back end. As an example of the style this beer is lacking. For uniqueness it is interesting though. But the beer flavors are lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and a bit dry (kind of like licking a two by four). There is a bit of an alcohol burn but I think that might be a mental glitch thanks to the bourbon flavor trying to trick me.

Tough to swallow this beer.

2.76/5  rDev -25.8%

A:Nice looking mahogany brown with rather nice robust sticky head with a surprising amount of lacing.impressive.

S&T:Sweet malts and vanilla is most prominent standout, other sweet ness from caramel and maple syrupy, very subtle oaky notes backing it up. Has a certain light Earthy and Peat aspect to it behind all the bright sweetness, probally from the barrel,not much "bourbon" at all, which is understandable since only a small percent is actually aged in the barrels.

M: Not lacking carbination that's for sure, medium body and slick.

D: It's an interesting brew at first, but the sweetness may seem pretty one dimensional after more then one. i think with this one hunting the Wood & Bourbon out is the game, which is hard, and leaves most dissapointed.

2.77/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle to an imperial pint glass.

Color is brown with a hint of copper. Not far off from a Coca Cola with ice melted in it. Two fingers worth of foam. Plenty of lacing after foam fades away.

Picking up caramel,malt and vanilla in the nose.

This is a tad odd. It feels like a soda pop in my mouth. Fizzy,then quickly gives may to vanilla and malt.

It's plenty carbonated. Feels very watery on the finish.

I hate being so negative in reviews,but I really can't rave about or recommend this. Incredibly average offering. One would be fine but I'm stuck with five more.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Tyranena has better beers, specifically the Bitter Woman IPA. This is not bad, but I was hoping for something better. It pours a nice brown color, pretty much what I expected. Not much head. It has a really sweet wang to it. It's not terrible though. It is a very malty beer, not much hops flavor, not that I would expect that. I wonder if it really has bourbon...hmmmm.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured this amber colored ale down the center of the glass, and got very little head at all, and what tannish foam was there disappeared quickly. In a strong light, the color is more gold than amber, very light looking, as is the mouthfeel. Watery, but a little something there with the distinct bourbon taste in the beer. It has the nutty, malty flavor of a brown, but not a lot there. Slightly astringent, and maybe a little diacetyl butteriness. Not bad, and the taste is the best part of the beer. Not crazy about the smell--bourbon in an old sock--bit staleish, but again--not excessively bad in any way--just not good or great. I wish I had traded a few more of this six pack for other beers.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Horny Goat pint glass.

Appearance- Very dark brown with red hues. Off white head that dissipates to a small layer on top that leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell- Some raisin, cracker and very very slight nuttiness. Pretty mellow smelling overall.

Taste- Similar to the nose as far as mellowness. Toasted nut and thats about it, very tasteless beer really.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with average carbonation. A little less then average on the drinkability factor.

Overall- Bottom line is that it is a very blase beer with not a lot going on. Would I rather have it then a Miller Lite? Yes, but would I rather have it then a PBR? No!

2.91/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured a dark amber hue with a one finger creamy head. There was good retention and nice sticky lacing.

The smell had a heavy air of bourbon. As I am not a bourbon drinker, this aroma put me off a bit.

The taste had a strong bourbon element coupled with a solid malty sweetness. Very dry ffinish as well.

The mouthfeel was average and dry.

Overall an interesting brew. I would imagine that this would appeal to a bourbon drinker.

2.91/5  rDev -21.8%

My first offering from Tyranena Brewing Company in Wisconsin has admittedly left something to desire. Nevertheless, a big thank you to Mike for the beer in the trade. In fact, thanks for sending two bottles, because one broke (I think Rocky didn't want to be consumed on the East Coast).

Rocky's Revenge is a brown ale blended with a brown ale aged in bourbon barrels. The bourbon barrel blend imparts a darkness to the beer and a tiny waft in the nose of bourbon aging. Mostly it's closer to root beer candies, though. Not terrible to look at, it's got a minor head that sustains pretty well, dark and full of malts and well, water. The smell is like fake root beer candies that no one really wants. I guess there's a tiny hint of bourbon. Not much else.

The taste is about the same. I love browns, so it's hard to rate this one low, but it's just not that appealing. The taste begins with malt, carries on with water, and finishes with, more water. It's a watery, partially bourbon, heavily malted mess.

Not totally bad I guess, because it's well-carbonated and goes down easily enough. Just not something I'd come back to that often. Or ever.

It seems Rocky has had his Revenge. On my palate.

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown from Tyranena Brewing Company