Chief BlackHawk Porter | Tyranena Brewing Company

1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%

Got a bottle as a gift with a sampler of a bunch of other beers.

A: Pours the colour you would expect a porter to be. Very, very, very dark brown. Less than a finger of head on this one, no lacing.

S: Citrusy hops. Weak malty bouquet, hints of burnt caramel, little else to say.

T: A bit of burnt malt, not much else. Watery, lacks malt. I feel like I know exactly what the brewers were thinking when they put this porter together. They likely decided that if they added too much malt, the burnt taste would be overpowering. Amateur mistake, with a porter, your malt options are so diverse, but it tastes like the wort was a weak burnt malt tea.

M: Smooth, but seriously lacking in body. With this style, I would prefer a full-bodied feel. The carbonation is there, but unremarkable. Low carbonation is probably not something that I should fault a porter for, but I found myself seeking distraction from the boring flavour of this brew.

O: The smell of this brew promised much more. Not well balanced. Not malty, which is all I need say to damn a porter. I like trying new brews, but I can't say that I would ever go out and buy this. Maybe if I'm looking for an example of how not to make beer. Boring, but unoffensive.

2.72/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance - Pitch black with a quarter inch of medium to dark brown head. The head fades but takes it sweet time.

Smell - Sweet cherry and licorice covered by a nice malt aroma.

Taste - Coffee and malt flavors. Nothing real complex I'm afraid.

Mouthfeel - The feel is very smooth and wet. The flavor is really tasted toward the back of my tongue which is the only place this brew is felt to have some abrassiveness.

~ I think I had my hopes a bit too high before trying the Chief. I probably set myself up for the disappointment. I won't be sampling another bottle anytime soon but if presented with a tap I might give it another chance.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

On tap at the brew pub into a pint glass...A dark brown pour with a light tan head that rises about two fingers but falls way to quickly, at least the lacing is good...Light roasted aroma but just not a ton going on, bored...The taste is much stronger but that's not a good thing, tons of alcohol on the front, bitter from the alcohol not roasty bitter. There needs to be some sweetness to cut this.

An average porter at best.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger coarse, light mocha head with poor retention that dissipates into a cluster of bubbles at the top of the brew. Beer is a clear, near opaque, dark mahogany. Lacing is stringy and spotty with decent cling.

S: Nose is liquorice, bitter chocolate, roasted malt, and a subtle cherry tartness. Aromas are very muted and barely detectable.

T: Opens bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt bitterness, and overtones of cocoa powder and liquorice. Middle is invigorating as the carbonation rushes up. More liquorice in the middle and finish. Aftertaste is chocolate and roasted malt as this one sweetens just a tad. Aftertaste is a filmy coffee.

M: Light to medium bodied, moderately carbonated and light and actually quite crisp in the mouth. Finish is messy and sticky and aftertaste lingers.

D: An average porter. Nothing really stands out here as different in neither good nor bad ways. Body could use a bit of work and aroma is a bit too subtle but otherwise solid.

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

I had this on-site at the Tyranena brewery, and was not terribly impressed with it. It seemed not quite "charred" or "burned pizza crust" for me, and had a watery mouthfeel.

The beer was served in a UK-pint glass, and did not appear to be tremendously thick nor block-out-the-sun opaque. It had a small amount of white head.

Aroma was very faint for a porter, and was of toasted malt.

Flavor was not as chocolatey or coffee-ish as most other porters I've had recently. Instead, it was a fairly weak-tasting caramel malt character.

Mouthfeel seemed a bit watery for this style.

I wouldn't recommend against it, but I don't feel this is one of the better porters I've had lately.

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a pitch black color, that when held to the light shows a touch of amber on the edges, with a 2 finger thick, light brown colored head, that has above average retention, leaving lots of lace on the glass as the beer recedes.

A fairly strong roasted component to the aroma, reminding me of coffee, with some notes of chocolate. A pretty malty character, with little to no evidence of hops coming through in the aroma.

The flavor also consist of a roasted quality, very coffee-like, along with some other malt character such as chocolates and caramel, the finish is fairly bitter leaving a bitter coffee flavor on the palate, and the finish does seem to have some astringency to it.

I generally don't associate this much roastiness with porters. The mouthfeel isn't as creamy smooth as I would hope for, and there is a dry astringency to the finish that is rather unpleasant.

3.07/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours nearly black with a big, poofy head of darker tan. Retention is not it's strength though as it drops to a wee, thin film in just a few minutes. Decent lace is left behind.
Smell is heavily toasted malts, coffee and cardboard. Not a great balance but not heavily weighted to one aspect either.
Taste is strong on burnt malts and coffee (not my favorite flavors) with nothing else really coming to the party to balance them out. Aftertaste gets quite ashy.
Body is medium at best, effervescence is mild. Slightly warming especially after some temperature rise. Drying finish. All told, not a great porter for me. I like them sweeter - and I hate coffee - but if there had been something to balance the coffee and toasted malt notes this could have been quite good. If you're buying, I accept one, otherwise, no.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Your basic not quite black porter color, minimal mocha head. Minimal burnt coffee aroma.

Taste is a boring burnt bitterness, pure black patent, not much complexity.

Mouthfeel is quite watery to me. Slides down nice, but not very satisfying.

Very drinkable, but just not enough complexity in this porter to get excited about.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours black with a thin frothy head. Smell mainly chocolate with coffee hint. Coffee really comes out in taste with a piney hop finish. The bite gets big in the end and prevents smoothness and bite lingere. This is a busy porter but takes away from some things I drink a porter for.

Chief BlackHawk Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company