The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter | Tyranena Brewing Company

The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal PorterThe Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Coffee beans used are a blend of Costa Rican and Sumatran from Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters in Watertown, Wi.

Added by Winter on 02-10-2007

Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 676
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a short-stemmed tulip glass

Pours a deep, dark mocha brown with a velvety two finger light beige head. Excellent retention and abundant lacing. Holy coffee on the nose! The combination of deep aromatic espresso and roasted malt is very inviting, indeed. Opens with roasted malt notes that slowly take hold, joined with rich espresso. Finishes with a pleasant level of bitterness undoubtedly a combination of the contributions of the hops and coffee. Velvetly, silky and creamy medium body that is exceptionally pleasing on the palate. Perfectly carbonated. This beer is nothing short of impressive. The use of coffee is masterful. The coffee perfectly complements the base beer, elevates it, and the result is an incredibly well-balanced beer. One of the best American Porters, frankly one of the best beers overall, that make use of coffee that I've enjoyed.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Found this beer in a 4 pack at Otto's Elm Grove Liquor Wisconsin. I was looking for something unique and tasty, and a porter, since I've been in the porter binge mood lately.

Appearance - Standard pour, then again appearance is not something I care much about as long as its healthy looking beer such as this with some lacing, slight tan head, again its a dark beer, so nothing else to say other than its dark brown or black.

Smell - Fresh local Wisconsin coffee grinds and I'm not talking Alterra. I'd like to say more here, but its simply coffee grinds.

Taste - Here is where the complexity comes in. First comes the strong black coffee flavor with a punch of bitterness from the coffee, yes its definitely from the coffee, which is awesome in my book. Then comes the oatmeal malty backbone with that signature porter finish.

Mouthfeel - SIlky and lightly carbonated and smooth.

Overall - I have to say, I was not expecting to enjoy this quite this much, this truly is an amazing beer. I do have to admit you must enjoy the coffee flavors, as it is quite strong, though not overpowering in my opinion, and is quite sessionable. This is a must try for any beer advocate and I strongly recommend, and will be saving some to bring with me to Dark Lord Day this year. I really, thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks again to ncketchum, for another Tyranena Brewers Gone Wild offering to try.
This was poured from a 12oz bottle into a CBS snifter. Served at near room temperature.

A) This is a black brew, that had a big old dark tan head. It was over 2 fingers, nearly reaching the top of the snifter. The head settled rather quickly to a dusting, leaving a fair amount of lacing in it's path. Quite an attractive brew...

S) Dark malt, freshly ground morning coffee, milk chocolate, oatmeal with a light dusting of brown sugar. The main attraction is the coffee.

T) Follows the nose nicely. There is just a kiss of earthy hops on the backend, to let you know it's there, but this is really in the background. There is no hint of alcohol at all. Again the coffee is the focus, and it tastes fresh and lively. The aftertaste is roasted coffee, not over powering though.

M) Full bodied with light carbonation, certainly lighter than I expected after the pour. My goodness is this soft on the palate. Quite an exceptionally smooth drinking experience.

O) This is an excellent beer. Easily my favorite from Tyranena. You may not feel the same way if coffee beers are not your thing, but if they are, then this will likely really impress you. Glad to recommend this beer.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A – Very dark mahogany brown liquid. Thin on finger creamy tan head that slowy fades into a ring around the glass.

S – Booming coffee right away, wow this is the best smelling coffee beer I have had. Some roast malt and chocolates are present, but take a back seat to the coffee.

T – Surprise, there is big coffee flavor up front! Hints of chocolate, roasted malts and sweetness round out this delicious beer. I was licking my glass to get the last drops out I enjoyed it so much.

M – A medium creamy feel that is smooth with some carbonation.

O – This fresh is better than FBS, because the coffee is much more bold and present. I can understand how reviews drop off on this one as it ages. Still a solid beer with age, but the coffee flavors definitely fade. It is only brewed every 5 years or so. I wish Tyranena would brew this more often as it is my favorite coffee beer.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a AleSmith Horny Devil Snifter.

A- pours black with a 1 finger dark tan head. Massive leopard spotting on the glass.

S- huge coffee aroma off the bat, dark chocolate and some roastiness.

T- dark chocolate, bitter coffee and roasted malts. Not too sweet or bitter.

M- medium body and carbonation. Lighter body than other coffee stouts but makes it very drinkable.

O- nice coffee stout but thinner than others like FBS. Definitely worth picking up a 4-pack.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured into a tulip.

Vintage 2012.

Appearance: light black bodied beer with 1 finger of light mocha head. Drops quickly to no head at all.

Smell: This smells like super concentrated expresso. Just like a gourmet coffee bean is being roasted in your beer glass! Yeah the nose is a bit one demensional, but its working for me!

Taste: moderate bitterness upfront. Big roasty expresso that just goes on forever and ever! Also borderline on burnt versus being super roasty. The coffee taste like its super fresh. Not for the faint of heart! For beer nerds that love coffee beers here is a word of warning- you need this beer...

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. This beer is really drinkable despite the huge roasty coffee flavor in this beer. Nice silky feel to it. Not a hint of alcohol in this beer at all.

Overall: Honestly, I like this better than Founders Breakfast Stout because the coffee notes are just out of control and it so drinkable. Tyranena you guys are awesome; keep on rolling with the BGW series! Everytime you guys have a fresh BGW beer released...I always gotta get a few 4 packs!

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Massive thanks goes out to cmrillo who shared this one with the group at the "Evening Wood" tasting graciously hosted by cmrillo! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a deep red brown with a minimal cream colored head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, and big peppercorn. The flavor was of sweet malt, slight roasted malt, cream, and slight peppercorn. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. This is one of the first Porters I've come across where I got peppercorn on it. It was a pretty nice touch if I am completely honest. The aroma wasn't very complex which was a letdown, but the flavor was a little bit to help make up for that fact. A pretty well done brew.

3.64/5  rDev -12.7%

So it is 11am, I have nothing better to do and no job to go to. Lets have a coffee beer. This ones been kicking around the fridge for a while now.
Pours a dark brown with wispy tan bubbles floating around on top. Nose is faint sweet malts and cold coffee, with a bit of wet earth. It is apperant that this has some age on it, but may have been good to mellow out the flavors described in other reviews. Taste is a nice roasty porter, some vanilla notes mingle with the cold coffee bitterness. Avery faint sourness, that is now aperent in the nose, probably due to the age as well. A little dry for the style imo. also a little thin in the mouth, does not coat the palate. Over all a good beer to have with my brunch, and possibly my favorite in this series.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a deep brown (almost seems like a murkier ruby at times if you hold it the right way), with a finger of foamy mocha head. This dissipates quickly, leaving back a light foaminess around the edges and some gentle spotty lace down the sides of the glass. Coffee sits with some presence in the aroma, and even though it seems to have mellowed a bit, this still gives off a flavorful burnt roastiness. This is balanced in the nose by notes of chocolate, caramel, and green citric hops, which all combine to give this an underlying roasty tang.

The coffee still has a bitter and burnt bite left to it in the taste as well, backed up by leafy citric hops and then balanced across the back of the profile by a sticky mix of cocoa and toffee. Espresso sticks hard to the tongue in the finish, with a smoky acrid bitterness that is hard to shake. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied and initially prickly in the mouth, but then achieves more of a creamy chewiness the longer it sits in the mouth. This actually gets downright oily by the time it nears the back of the throat and combines with a well hid ABV to leave a smooth final impression.

I'm not sure of the age of this bottle (when I bought it up in WI last summer, it already gave me the impression that it had been sitting on the shelf for a while) but I was pleased to find that the coffee character was still going strong here. It had mellowed a bit but seemed to have integrated itself in well with those additional notes of sweet malt and lightly faded citric hop character. I'm hoping that they brew this one again. I'd love to have a fresh bottle to compare.

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, bottled on 11/6/08. Thank you for the extra, Craig.

There was a big pop hiss when I twisted off the cap, but that appears to been about the sum of CO2 for this one. It poured an amazingly still very dark, almost obsidian brown. There is no head, just occasional bubbles surfacing. I was going for a 2.5, but after two years, three months I'll give it a small break.

Coffee aroma has held up, dark roast beans are mixed up with soy sauce and patent malt. There's a chocolate presence too.

The flavors continue on in the same vein. Slightly salty chocolate covering espresso beans and almonds. Some soy sauce, oxidation, and sweetened espresso. A good dose of roast with more of a charred bitterness.

The lack of carbonation is not at all a problem on the palate. The oatmeal grants it a full, smooth body even though it looks like it's filtered. It is not flat, some small bubbles remain and probably keep the finish from being too sweet and sticky.

I'm not sure I would be able to tell that this is over two years old. The coffee is still a central feature and nice, though at the level of the top coffee Stouts/Porters/Brown Ales. I suppose it's not available anymore, but it's worth a try.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to Levifunk.

A snowy, cold, windy afternoon, and I'm home working on the house. This seemed like the perfect afternoon beer to keep me awake and warm.

Pours super dark and syrupy looking, with a very light brown head covering, for what shows up fades pretty quickly.The beer is thick and pitch black, and leaves nice long legs on the sides of the glass.

Nose is beautiful, tons of chocolate, a bit of baker's chocolate, little dark, some chocolate milk, and even hot cocoa. SOme oatmeal behind that add a nice heavy feel for the aroma too. Some light roast and a bit of coffee under that, but not as much as I expected for coffee at least. A bit of a powdered like aroma, like powdered chocolate. Some dark malts, a bit of caramel, and even vanilla. No real booze either, which I almost wish this had a little more boozy aroma. As it warms I'm starting to get more coffee grinds, ground into a fine powder like.

Taste starts thick and luscious and quickly coats the mouth, more of the powdered chocolate and powdered coffee grinds. A little bit of a burnt coffee taste. The chocolate comes out a lot too, but a little less than the aroma, bringing more cocoa and chocolate milk, but a bit of baker's chocolate. Some espresso flavors, and plenty of roasted malt. A bit of baked chocolate brownie even. Fairly sweet but just dancing on the boarder of not enough and too much, and pretty thick. The oatmeal flavor comes out a bit, but it really comes out on the feel. Some bitterness, but not overly, and just a hint of a acidic acrid burnt coffee flavor. Finish lasts a while as the mouth coating doesn't break down quickly. It dries a bit, but not a lot, and leaves a slight sticky mouth feel since it's so thick. A bit of the chocolate lingers, with some roast and a hint of coffee, and the bitterness comes through more, bitterness from roasted malts mostly, but I get a hint of earthy and spicy hops.

Mouth is very thick, rich, a little velvety and pretty smooth, no real boozy effect either, with lower carbonation, but decent for the style. The oatmeal in full effect here.

Drinkability is pretty good, it does coat the mouth and leave a slight sticky resin behind which slows down the drinking a bit. No real booze though, which I kinda wish this did have a bit more boozy feel, but the effect it gets without that booze is great. A bit more carbonation, and a nice head, would have made this beer amazing!

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Paid $7.99 for a 4pack of12oz bottles from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. I let this one age for just under 2 years and poured into a snifter to review.

An aggressive pour yields no head and naturally no retention. Dark, dark brown in color which is only noticeable when held to light. Not much lacing.

Strong coffee and sweet, lightly roasted malts in the nose. Earthy and robust, there are also woody and chocolate hints.

Strong coffee, dark chocolate. The aging has given this a much more rich, malty taste, but the beer has become flat in the process.

Mouthfeel is flat and lacking enough carbonation. Medium body and a short, malty and coffee/chocolate finish.

Don't recommend aging this one much.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Sent via the Kegatron Express.

Poured into a snifter at about 50 degrees. Dark brown body topped off by a fine looking light tan head. Only about a finger width after a quick pour. Retains a small ring and laces well.

The aroma is nearly all coffee. I'm digging it, but kind of missing some other smells I'd expect from a big porter at the same time. I guess there is some faint chocolate cake too.

A bit more complex on the tongue than in the nose. Semi-sweet, chocolate chips hit first, followed quickly by a big dose of coffee and an underlying vanilla. Finishes with a decent dash of juniper bush for a last minute zing. Well done.

The mouthfeel seems about the right consistency, about medium. It could feel a bit creamier, for having oatmeal, I am surprised it's not a bit better off in that department. Finishes somewhere between wet and dry, in the middle, really. Good carbonation levels.

Overall I liked this a lot. It could use some more complexity overall, particularly in the nose, but it's very tasty. I do have to say Devil Over a Barrel was quite a bit better, but this is still very worthy of seeking out and drinking often!

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a near black color with a thin mocha head. The nose brings quite a bit of coffee as well as roasted malt. Some hints of chocolate. The taste is about the same, with the addition of a nice creamy mouthfeel. Good roasted coffee notes and some pretty deep malt. Mild amounts of chocolate in the background. Quite smooth and easy drinking. A good winter brew.

Coffee, coffee, and then a bit more coffee. Too much of a good thing? Almost, but not quite. Semi-sweet chocolate bats cleanup. Oatmeal lends a bit of chewyness to the malt. Some astringency moves in toward the finish with a somewhat dry note at the end. A bold beer, no question.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks Sean for throwing this generous extra in our recent trade. Bottle dated November 6, 2008 and putting this into my tulip. The pour is black with a thin mocha colored head that vanishes quickly. Thin lacing on this one. The smell is clearly lots of coffee. It's a nice roasty coffee that finish with slight bitterness and just a faint aroma of oats bittersweet chocolate. The taste is rich and very bold. Earthy coffee that finishes with a slight bitter hint tickled with grains and a slight hint of cocoa. This is very tasty. This is a pretty heavy beer in my opinion, however not unexpectedly or wanted. I really like the warmth of this. I'd love to get my hands on a few more of these.

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

Thanks to HeadyHops81 for adding it to a trade.

This was 12oz bottle into an oversized snifter (DFH, maybe 16oz). The head pops up initially but dissipated quickly leaving no 'lacing' behind. Faint bubbles around the far edges. As you would think, dark, porter-y color. Seriously, if I was looking at a wall this color I would say 'that wall is porter colored'.

The aroma is very nice. While strong coffe notes. I smell a little vanilla bean, but that may be because I smell vanilla bean where there is a faint trace of alcohol. I think this is from baking with vanilla extract.

Taste - I don't drink coffee anymore so to me this is very very strongly flavored with coffee. In fact, I had a hard time discerning any other flavors. I certainly didn't taste any 'oatmeal'. Since I've stopped drinking coffee I've had a lot of coffee beers, this strikes me as one of the most coffee flavored.

Mouthfeel is secondary to the very acrid flavor I'm getting at the end of the sip. The more full 'oatmealiness' is present right at the death. It is lighter than the color suggests.

Drinkability - well, I would like to grab a few more and put them away for a while to let the coffee mellow a bit. It is light enough and flavored nicely that I'd reach for it again but I think it may be better another few months down the road.

(6)

2.18/5  rDev -47.7%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Bottled Feb 2, 2007.

(A)- Pours a dark black color that produced a good foaming light brown head with decent retention. Left a bit of lacing behind.

(S)- Smells like moldy cheese with bits of molasses & raisin.

(T)- The same moldy cheese with some bits of chocolate coated oatmeal & molasses. Seriously moldy.

(M)- A good carbonation level. its just not right with the mold aspect to it.

(D)- Had promise, but clearly has something wrong with it. It couldnt be too old. . an infection issue?

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a nonic. Bottled on 02FEB07.

Thanks to Sweemzander for sharing another bottle!

A - The pour is really black with a dense tan head resting on top. Unfortunately it has low retention with small bits of lacing left over.

S - The aroma is mild with roasted coffee and black malts being the focus. A cold refrigerator aroma pokes out of bitter chocolate in the background. A tiny moldy hint resembles a basement forgotten about.

T - Lots of roasted malts impart chocolaty-mocha notes and pair well with the coffee bean flavor that slightly overshadows the bittersweet chocolate. The faint moldy flavor makes an unfortunate appearance ruining what good is going for this.

M - The texture is really dry and fairly bitter with a medium body and a smooth finish.

D - This beer is a bit old and undoubtedly better fresh but even so, it's still got a lot going for it despite the off flavors. I need to find a fresh bottle of this.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Tyranena- The Devil Made Me Do It.

A- Deep dark brownish black with a small tan head. Sticky light lacing.
S- Heavy fudge and chocolate with heavy roasted black coffee and chocolate malt.
T- Thick sugary fudge and dark chocolate with a good heaping dose of black coffee/ espresso. Heavy sugary caramel malt with bitter chocolate. Light touch of alc.
M- Very thick and sweet. Heavy sweet malt dominates with a slight bitter coffee bean touch. Creamy body with a super sugary sweet finish. Slight touch of alc.

Overall- Amazing tasting porter thats just a tad too sweet. Very good regardless.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz. From the Beerman7s, thanks Steve.
A dark brown pour with just a smidgen of off white bubbles. Fairly viscous looking, not a ton sticking though.
Aroma is solid porter, sweeter malt, caramel, peatyness and light chocolate.
Taste has more roast showing up, including the coffee. It is an accessory though with the malt, caramel and earthy smoked peat. A real great balance and blending of flavors. Coffee and caramel linger nicely through the finish. Especially the coffee.
A bit lighter bodied than you would expect, but it drinks extreamly well. Borders on creamy with the oats. Abv just mid by nowadays standards is non-existant.
Waiting for a little while for this one, though not going out of my way to find, deserving of a high place in the standard American porter ranks.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pour is black. An aggressive pour yields a finger of caramel head.

S: Smell is of roasted malt and heavy roasted coffee.

T: Taste is much like the nose with big roasted malts, hints of chocolate and a big punch of coffee especially at the swallow.

M: The body is medium yet chewy.

D: Drinkability is very good. Nice brew

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

I love this style. I love dark beers with coffee. So naturally, this was a winner.

The appearance is a dark brown with cocoa head. Not a very big head, one finger or so. It has no lacing. The color is a very murky brown, and it is fairly thick.

The smell is very good, it had dark sweet prunes and peaches. There is a bitter espresso smell as well.

The taste is of burnt coffee, roasted grains, a little bit of hops as well. There is a slight citrus hop characteristic that throws me off guard. It is espresso bitter, but knowing that this uses coffee beans it comes across a little burnt. There are hints of chocolate that make this a well rounded oatmeal porter. Delicious.

THe mouthfeel is a bit thin, contrary to my belief that it was a thicker brew from the pour. Drinkability is good as well. All around enjoyable.

J

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked this up on my trip home from MN. I was excited to see it as I have not seen it in Chicago.

A: Pours a thick black with almost no head. What is there of the head is a thin white outline of the glass.

S: the dominant smell is sweet chocolate, along with some gourmet coffee beans, and a noticeable amount of oatmeal

T: The coffee takes center stage on the flavor profile. The coffee is bold and the chocolaty notes balance nicely with it. The oatmeal on the finish as a very nice touch. Delicious beer!

MF: thick body, chewy texture, creamy

D: Another winner from Tyranena- they are rapidly becoming one of my favorite breweries as I have not been disappointed with any of their beers. This one is a little more mellow on the coffee and has more of a sweet finish than FBS or Peche Mortel. With that being said, it is quite drinkable, although it is somewhat filling.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Notes from forever ago. Last in a trade with dukedevil0.

Tan, lacy, black, brown highlights.

Nice coffee, chocolate smell,

nice, smooth, coffee, sweet, oatmeal velvety body.

I laughed, I cried, it was even better than cats. The feelgood story of the year.

The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company