Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter | Tyranena Brewing Company

Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal PorterDevil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter

Tyranena Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
tyranena.com

Style: American Porter

Imperial Oatmeal Porter. 60% Porter brewed with coffee beans and aged in bourbon barrels blended with 40% Porter brewed with coffee beans.

Added by DaPeculierDane on 04-10-2008

Reviews: 279 | Ratings: 553
2.5/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep black, the thickness makes me think of oatmeal in motor oil

Smell: Used and burnt coffee grounds. I smell no bourbon.

Taste: Same; used and burnt coffee grounds. I taste no bourbon. Perhaps a hint of chocolate mocha. Perhaps the bitterness of blackstrap molasses without the cane sugar sweetness.

Mouthfeel: yuck.

Drinkability: Never noticed the bourbon; it is a coffee beer and that is it. Shame too; I love bourbon. It was a chore to drink and I didn't finish it; will avoid having another.

2.65/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Very thin -no coffee or bourbs on the nose. This beer is flat, has no bourbon taste, has a dead weak coffee flavor. A new beer to the top 250 simply due to the new equation for the top 250 beers list on this site. Probably an ok beer when fresh, but not now.

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%

Dark brown color, with a very light tan head. Espresso nose, lacking depth. Dark roast coffee up front, with a light note of caramel as well. No barrel character. Not much in terms of malt depth. My main complaint though, it's filtered to death and not bottle conditioned....just tastes dead, which leads to a poor mouth feel as well.

2.78/5  rDev -35.5%

A wall of deeply roasted coffee aromatics hits my nostrils as I vigorously pour this into my 25cl tulip. The head initially forms a fat, three-finger thick, creamy, brownish, dark tan colored head. The beer is a deep black color that shows flashes of burnt ruby if held up directly to the light. A more focused inspection of the aroma yields more coffee; sour, burnt and charcoal like at first, but then some toasted bread notes, dark chocolate, spicy oak, a slight mustiness and ample, dusty, almost astringent, burnt grain husk aromas. Actual Bourbon notes are hard to pick out from the aroma, but it is hard to really tell with all of the roasted grain and coffee notes here. This has an interesting aroma, it is a bit too dominated by the coffee, which at times can make this seem a bit one-dimensional. There is a lot going on in the aroma though, you just need to dig around for it.

Creamy tasting up front, with a rich, dark malt, light sweetness. The finish washes the sweetness and richness out of my mouth though with its sour burnt focus, huge dark-roast coffee notes and just plain down right astringent, roasted bitterness. The bitterness from the coffee and grain here is huge and quite unbalanced. The finish actually makes me grimace a bit; this is mostly due to the overly roasted character, but some tannic, oak notes also contribute to the astringency of the finish. In the middle there is actually some nice, dark chocolate flavors and maybe a touch of vanillin, but this is fleeting. Boozy, somewhat hot, alcohol notes seem the biggest Bourbon contribution; while not overwhelming the alcohol definitely seems a bit more noticeable than I would expect from an 8% brew. Some toasted malt notes add a bit to this brew and there is of course a huge, dark coffee flavor here. Tastes a bit like drinking concentrated, slightly stale, long cold, black coffee, especially in the finish.

The flavors in this are huge, I can see how this is so likeable by those who like extremes, but there is just no finesse here, no real semblance of balance. This ends up being much more of a chore to drink than it should be & I am now regretting that I chose to write about this beer instead of just cracking open a Blind Pig. I feel really bad about it, but this beer just sucks; this is actually objectionable (especially towards the finish) and as such achieves something that is quite rare in a beer for me. Actually if it wasn't for the harsh finish, this wouldn't be all that bad.

2.87/5  rDev -33.4%

Looks decent, but not great. Half finger tan head formed on a fairly vigorous pour and quickly vanished, no traces left. Despite the whoosh upon popping the cap it is very mildly carbonated. There will be no lacings...

Things pick up a bit in the nose. Dark fruits, bourbon with its hint of vanilla from the barrel, some creamy grains with a touch of oats, and some metallic oxidzed coffee. I had high hopes for this brew based on the reviews and how amazing a cellared Dirty Old Man turned out, but unless things pick up dramatically on the tasting this one will be disappointing. An earthy leafiness is present from the mild touch of hops.

Things are picking up slightly, although the booziness is detracting slightly. Nougat, oats and roasted grains with nuances of cocoa and slightly oxidized coffee. Big bourbon presence, hint of vanilla, and pronounced booziness with a detracting amount of alcohol heat.

The carbonation is lacking, for an imperial oatmeal porter there should be more presence and not a slightly smooth and creamy almost light bodied brew. The bourbon is quite prominent, and thanks to the lack of presence and body it almost overwhelms the brew, especially with its detracting amount of alcohol.

Not very drinkable, the wood alcohols will probably give me a headache by the time i finish my glass. I have a few more bottles and will revisit this and edit the review if my second impression is significantly different from my first. But for now i will on ly recommend this brew to those who want a good example of barrel aging gone wrong, and enjoy their brews with a hot alcohol presence.

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Generously sent by unclejedi. Thanks, Jim! Re-written on 4/7/10.

A: Pours jet black with translucent maroon edges. Its short-lived half-inch mocha colored head recedes into a mild collar and some swirls of wispy bubbles. No lacing.

S: Wet cardboard and cooked vegetables. Definitely oxidized. Seems to be a common feature of this beer due to the twist-off caps.

T: After an initial burst of wet cardboard, the rest of the flavor comes through nicely. Vanilla, bourbon, some oak, a sour grainy bitterness, toffee. Coffee and chocolate came later, but in a more subdued afterthought than a main component of the flavor profile. It's definitely bourbon-forward, but not to the point where it obliterates other characteristics of the beer.

M: Medium-bodied and fairly creamy due to the low-medium carbonation that worked well for the style. Had a slight tingle to it.

D: Tasted pretty good. I normally don't review clearly oxidized bottles, but my thinking here is that people like to see how the beer is doing, and a fresh review helps that. It's still doing fine, but I'd drink up sooner rather than later.

3.11/5  rDev -27.8%

Not a bad beer. Just, you know, one of those Starbucks stouts. A pretty good one at that. If you like beers like Peche Mortal, Kentucky Breakfast Stout, and so on, you'll really like this one. A lot of sweet coffee blending with a nice, light vanilla from the bourbon. The finish is slightly acrid, like coffee that has been out for too long, but the sweetness of the finish helps cover that up. The oats create a nice thick mouthfeel, so it really does have the same texture as a latte.

It certainly isn't bad, but if this is what I wanted I'd head over to the nearest coffee shop. A well made beer, sure, but not my cup of tea. Or coffee, for that matter.

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Tasted 27 April 2014.

Pours dark brown, almost black. Just a skim of medium tan head, essentially no head at all. Okay lacing. Meh.

Smell is bright coffee goodness. I get little of the porter, and none of the barrel. While I like it, I could be sniffing coffee with a dash of beer.

Taste is decent, though it's hampered by the feel (see below). But again, I get almost nothing beyond the coffee. To be fair, the coffee is really nice. But there should be more going on in here. The porter brings a touch of char, the barrel is nowhere to be found. What's up here? If they told me it was a coffee brown ale, I might be more convinced. There's just a whole lot missing for a beer that apparently has so much in it.

Mouthfeel is the real problem. It's flat. And I mean flat like the syrup you add to carbonated water to get soda is flat. It comes off oily and stagnant, and I just don't like it. If I swish it around my mouth, I can coax some bubbles out, but only enough to make it bearable.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. I could see this beer being really really good, I guess. Some carbonation would help. So would the beer having any backbone, or the barrel actually showing up for the game. As it is, I'll pass.

3.45/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Black pour with barely there, thin, tan head--probably due to twist-top seepage? Standard oatmeal porter/stout aroma of roasted malt/coffee. Guinness has more of what I call a coffee aroma than this one brewed "with coffee beans". Taste is of dark roasted malts with some bitterness. Maybe just a hint of bourbon at first when the glass warms to 50 degrees or above. Then I read the ingredient label and see it is a blend of two porters. That's probably why less bourbon hint and costs much less than most B-barrel aged 4packs. Mouth-feel seems a bit thin for a porter. Overall, it's a good porter but only "okay" as a "bourbon barrel aged" brew.

3.69/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours dark brown with no signs of life. Flat, no head, no bubbles on swirling, no lacing.

S: Roast, light coffee, no particular bourbon notes. A little bit of prune as it warms up.

T: Rich chocolate and coffee, somewhat bready. Still nothing to really suggest bourbon barreling.

F: LIght medium body, extremely low carbonation, moderate linger.

O: A decent beer, certainly wouldn't hesitate to drink it again, but underwhelming considering where it stands on the Top 250 currently.

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

Beer poured from a bottle courtesy of Todd and the White Whale. Thanks! Poured into my Piraat glass with a very thin tan head that dissipates quickly leaving a small ring around the outside of the glass. Color is very dark yet slightly opaque, right on par with what a porter should be. Smell is almost all coffee and oak at first, almost entirely overpowering any malt that is present. There is a slight chocolate malt smell, but I had to really try hard to get anything other then the coffee. The taste is much more balanced, with some nice dark malts coming through and just the right amount of oak and very little bourbon. The coffee adds just the right amount of bitterness. The alcohol is covered up well and each sip leaves a smokey aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little too thin in my opinion but suits the style well and has the silky oatmeal characteristic. Overall a very drinkable imperial brew.

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to maximum12 for this brew! Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a small snifter.

A: Black with a nice collar that keeps me hopeful about the carbonation in this.

S: Coffee, smoked wood, and more coffee. The bourbon aroma has worn off completely.

T: Really good coffee beans, pure organic steel-cut oats, and a tad bit of oak from the bourbon barrels. I feel like the complexity of this beer has faded with age.

M: This category held up just fine - the carbonation is on par. As with most beers with oatmeal, this one is smooth.

D: Aged in bourbon barrels? You can't even tell at this point. You can take this one down with a nice porterhouse steak or kobe beef burger.

Overall, a good beer but I feel the same as previous reviews state; the bourbon barrel aging has faded.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Big thanks to pepsican for hauling this to DLD for me!<Br>
Pours black with a medium sized and short lived tan head. Smell is bittersweet chocolate and roasty coffee smell, and a bit dull. Taste is slightly creamy and coffee like but wasn't too strong, I thought. Slightly creamy, yet thin at the same time. Very mild flavor up front, with a medium body and light carbonation. Good, but was rich enough flavorwise to really floor me. Also didn't get even a hint of bourbon.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

A coffee story. Bubbly white head on black. Coffee aroma. Lace. Sour element. Bourbon is contained, more oak notes and accentuated coffee flavour. Complex, but I would like the other flavours to come through from the non-bourbon barrel such as chocolate.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz supplied by Inflatablechair ... Thanks Sammy!!

Thin dark tan head.. the brew is definitely black... only hints of lacing and the retention is pretty poor.

Nose is thick bourbon... pretty powerful even after all this time... the traditional roasty elements are there, but are blown out of the water by the whiskey.

Flavor has better implementation of the barrels.. dark fruit whaffs come and go.. but there is certainly a nice lite cocoa element.. the bourbon shows as more vanilla with some lite cherry essence and bits of tannic wood... there is still coffee in there, but it seems pretty faded and I am trying to pick it out.. could really use more of a real "malty" presence mid palate to tie things together..

There seemed to be some sorta breakdown in the coffee component... It's there, but the barrels just roll over it with no problem.. I had to really try to pull out coffee and for that matter roasty parts.

The body seems a tad thin... carbonation was about right, I guess.

Overall... good verging on just okay... Maybe this just didn't age too well, but I am underwhelmed.

Thanks Sammy!! I know that I (and I assume we) have had this brew before, but I can't find any notes.... and I truly appreciate being able to sample such a sought after beer after all this time.

3.5/4/4/3.5/3.5

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz screw-off snubby bottle. Served in a Pint glass. Ended up with several of these from multiple traders (some as extras). Big thanks to those guys.

A: A small brown head which fades quickly. Pours very, very dark. Upon close inspection there's a lot of small particles, and some surprising carbonation going on. In fact looking down at the top of my glass with my flashlight, it's quite mesmerizing. The carbonation is bubbling up and creating some captivating patterns. Lacing is also quite good.

S: Blast of roasted coffee. Some bittersweet chocolate. Maybe the slightest hint of bourbon and vanilla. Not much more than that though...

T: Roasted coffee with a lot of big milk chocolate action. Some roasted malts round out the middle. Finishes with some sweetness and bourbon notes. Not as complex as I thought it would be, but still tasty. In fact as the beer warmed up, I thought it actually suffered some.

M: Initially I though the mouthfeel was amazing, but as it warmed up it seemed to get a little thinner. Still the carbonation and oatmeal smoothness made it very pleasant.

D: Very good. The 8.0 ABV is not really noticeable and the oatmeal and solid carbonation helps it go down easy. The residual bitterness does stick around and one of these is all I'd want to drink.

I'd heard that DOAB isn't quite as good as it used to be and I think that might be true. I was expecting it to be a little more complex, or to feature the bourbon a little more. All in all though, it's still a very solid beer. Almost more of a lighter stout than a Porter. I'd love to see Tyranna revisit this so I could taste it fresh.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Purchased at Heritage Liquore's in St. Paul MN
Go see Ed.

A: Poured a black, not transparent color. Head is 2 fingers deap in thick dark brown.
Medium laceing present.

S: Smell first off is mocha, the coffee is definatly more upfront in the smell then the chocolate.
Also smell peanut butter.

T: Dark coffee, smoke, toffee, burnt caramel, vanilla. I dont taste any of the bourban, but that smokey flavor is probably from the barrel.
Again the coffee hits harder in the taste then the chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a touch more carbonation then I'd like from this style beer.

D: I liked it for its complexities. However it was not one of my top pics for a barrel aged bourbon porter. I've brewed a few, so I'm kinda picky with this style.
The oats set it off nicely for the thick creamy textures. I dont like peanut butter and those wiffs of it didnt settle well.
Overall its a delicious beer, but it wasnt for me.

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours very dark with faint ruby peeking through. On finger tan head that dissipates quickly. Nose- potent - full on bourbon with rich roasted coffee and dark fruits. Taste- bourbon is quite strong initially then warms up with oatmeal , vanilla and cofee flavours. Surprisingly light bodied with high carbonation for style. Finish is fairly hot with a dry dark chocolate lingering taste.

3.86/5  rDev -10.4%

"The Devil makes his Christmas pie of lawyers' tongues."

--English proverb

Closer to darkest mahogany than charcoal black, with copper-orange edges that are more prominent than expected. It took an increasingly vigorous pour to generate two fingers of tremendously creamy, golden brown sugar colored foam. Great job on glass decoration as well. This is outstanding looking beer.

Roasted coffee beans was the first thing to greet my nose when it approached the glass. Bourbon... not so much. I was counting on the bourbon barrel aging to distinguish this ale from my favorite Brewers Gone Wild! offering to date, The Devil Made Me Do It! Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter. Other than the java, there isn't much here that impresses.

The flavor gets things back on track, at least to some extent. My first impression is that there's no way this is one of the Top Beers on Planet Earth (#41 at the moment). It lacks the power, the depth and the complexity to pull it off. Having said that, Devil Over is still *good* beer and I'm glad that I have a few bottles left.

Iced coffee is complemented by dark chocolate, caramelized sugar, vanilla, charred oak and tangy plums. I just wish the various flavors melded more snuggly. More malt would have helped immensely. In fact, the less than rock-ribbed roasted malt backbone is probably the biggest reason why DOABBBACIOP doesn't knock my socks off. Well... maybe one sock.

Which brings us to the body/mouthfeel. Less than one year in the bottle shouldn't be long enough for body breakdown to occur in an 8.0% porter. Therefore, the malt shortage was probably present from the start. I've also noticed that, for whatever reason, quite a few barrel-aged ales lack viscosity. Better slightly too little carbonaton (as is the case here) than slightly too much.

Like most of the Brewers Gone Wild! series of beers from Tyranena, Devil Over A Barrel is good, but doesn't make it all the way to great. Still, if they'll keep brewing them, I'll keep drinking them. The Devil Made Me Do It! is still the best of the lot.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A) Pours very dark, nearly opaque. Little to no carbonation. Slight trace of lacing at the edge of the glass.
S) Not too robust an aroma, but definitely coffee.
T) A very bold coffee flavor. A mellow sweetness on the backside. Not a noticeable "bourbon" taste.
M) Mild tannin-ish feel in the aftertaste. Full body and very smooth.
D) A decent porter, but not nearly as "wild" as I expected from the labeling. Still a drinkable brew.

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Drank from a 12 FLUID OUNCE bottle
Acquired in a trade with dirtylou
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a near jet black with a creamy, one-finger, cocoa-colored head that faded to a thick, bubbly, lasting ring.

The aroma was amazing and intense. Super strong coffee notes dominated and were followed by a robust, oaky, roastiness. Barrel aging at its finest! As the beer warmed, the aroma turned more espresso-like. Oatmeal was noticeable as well.

The taste was similar to the nose initially. Smooth and creamy up front. A touch sweet with strong oatmeal and coffee notes. Brown sugar, oak and vanilla appeared as well. Espresso came through in the center. The finish was hugely acrid, roasty and bitter with an almost hot alcohol (bourbon-like) presence. Super dry and pithy. If I had to guess the ABV of this brew, I would estimate it to be in the 9%-11% range. As the beer opened up, the oaky, bourbony flavors really came forth (as did the alcohol).

The mouthfeel was near perfect. Creamy, silky smooth and supple with a medium/full body.

I really enjoyed this beer except for the finish. It was simply too bitter, acrid and hot for my liking. Aside from this, Devil Over A Barrel was a terrific experimental-style brew from the folks at Tyranena.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Black with a tan head, good retention & lacing.

S: Coffee, wood & roasted nuts.

T: Coffee, wood, brown sugar, chocolate, nuts, sour grain.

M: Moderate body & carbonation; smooth; slight roasted acidity.

D: It's good, though I don't like that sourness in a porter.

I actually preferred the Devil made me do it (without the bourbon barrel).

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Pours a dark brown hue with a frothy 2 finger, off white head.

S- Smell is coffee interlaced with bourbon.

T- Has a very chocolatey backbone that leads into huge coffee and cream notes.

M- Extemely creamy, decadent, the perfect amount of carbonation (low). This has been sitting in the cellar for about a year and I am convinced it has the absolute perfect mouthfeel.

D- This was a great desert beer. I dont know if i could have more than one but the chocolatey notes and perfect mouthfeel made me want to revisit it.

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass served slightly chilled.

A: Dark brown coming out of the bottle...almost black once in the glass. One finger brown head that fades to about a half finger, and then sticks around for awhile.

S: Smell is primarily coffee with a hint of bourbon and vanilla. Nice chocolate and hazelnut on the nose, as well. Smells nice.

T: Coffee dominates here. Only a trace of bourbon...kind of like bourbon soaked raisins. Definitely got the dark fruit going on, as well. More of the chocolate and nut flavor, as well. Ends slightly bitter and acidic with a linger chocolate and coffee taste.

M: Pretty thin mouthfeel for the style. Medium carbonation and pretty light body. Alcohol isn't really to prevalent, but this is "only" an 8% impy porter.

O: Pretty good all around. I like that the bourbon doesn't completely dominate like it does in other BB beers. Very heavy on the coffee, however. There are enough other subtle flavors to keep it interesting, but I would've liked just a bit less coffee. Still, this is a killer BB coffee porter at a reasonable price point ($10/4).

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

A - dark brown, black in color, small tan head that quickly dissipates
S - dark malts, coffee, vanilla coffee
T - coffee, mollasses, oak, vanilla, coffee, slightly sour note at the edges
M - barrel aged soft medium body, soft carbonation, nice lightly sweet finish
D - a bit caffeine buzzy, coffee and malts. Not quite what I think of when I think of porter and could use more balance.

worth a try

Devil Over A Barrel - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Imperial Oatmeal Porter from Tyranena Brewing Company