Scurvy | Tyranena Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States
tyranena.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Scurvy India Pale Ale (IPA) India Pale Ale Brewed With Orange Peel. An ample ale, exploding with luscious, fruity hops and citrusy blast of orange zest. Ready to walk the plank, Matey

Added by younger35 on 06-25-2008

3.9

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

copper toned body with some soft off white head.
The nose is like sweet sugar coated oranges.
A sweeter IPA, not very bitter, reminds me of those orange slices candy my grandma used to have. Simple and shallow.
mouthfeel is medium to full for a 6.5% IPA.

nothing off, but not really desirable.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Kegatron sent me this bottle. Hooray Kegatron!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler at around 45 degrees F. Dark orange amber body topped by a 1/2 inch off-white finely textured head. Quite a bit of floaty bits, may actually be the orange zest... Bubbles rising from the bottom. Decent retention, spotty lacing.

Smells like butterscotch, pine, grapefruit, orange peel, caramel, and heavy bready malts. Sort of a weird combination, but not bad...

Quite a good bit of caramel and bread pudding, followed by butterscotch. The orange zest is definitely apparent here too, and makes me think they used a little too much. Contrasting with the rather heavy malt flavor is a lot of grapefruit and raw undefined bitterness. Pine and spice finishes things up. Again, a little all over the place.

Fairly heavy feel, but maintains a good carbonation level and oilyness. Grainy feel, almost as if I'm eating the orange zest directly...

Finding it rather difficult to drink. It's cloyingly bitter, and lacks the beautifully hoppy flavors to go along with that bitterness that I am used to. Additionally, I just don't like what the orange zest is doing, and don't find it complementary. On top of all that, I don't really like the butterscotch flavors in IPA at all, very out of place for me. This beer needs some serious refinement and suffers from a lack of focus.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

pour a burnt orange color with 1/2 " head and good lacing thru-out the smell is of burnt citrus and malt and honey..the taste is just average it starts with a burnt orange taste followed by a bitter hop taste i dont detect pine or citrus/floral tastes of ipas i dont taste alot of orange either for a brew called scurvy.... this ipa is ok drinkable but i dont recommend it. ipas are my favorite style but this one was just not that good

2.86/5  rDev -26.7%

Tyranena makes Hop Whore...'nuff said. Scurvy is a near miss from a great brewery. poured into a pint a satisfyingly cloudy golden orange with a wispy head of thin foam and a long display of lace. The smell is of citrus but less distinct than advertised. As with many Tyranena offerings the hops dominate the flavor with pine and sharp spice striking first. The citrus flavor is faint and hints not at the flavorful zest, but the bitter white pith below. The brewer seems to have toned down the malt to make room for the orange, and this leads to a hugely imbalanced offering where the hops overrun everything, and not in a good way (said the hophead). A fine IPA with some good flavor, but not enough special "oomph" to justify inclusion in the Brewers Gone Wild" series.

2.87/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.89/5  rDev -25.9%

From a bottle that looks a bit different than the one shown (as of 05.24.2011): apparently Scurvy has graduated from the Brewers Gone Wild into a regular brew. Poured into a straight pint glass.

A – Orange to light brown, perfectly clear, with about an inch of yellowish head after a fairly aggressive pour. Dissipates within sixty seconds, leaving some strong lacing above the liquid and a tiny film of bubbles. The head itself was fairly loose and big-bubbled.

S – Definitely smell the orange, which is distinct in the smell from the hops, which are more of the grassy variety, methinks. A pretty strong, inviting citrus smell.

T – Nose is fairly typical IPA-ish, somewhat grassy and lemony, but not committed enough for my admittedly particular tastes. The body picks up with a stronger bitterness, unbalanced by sweetness until faint notes of grapefruit and, duh, orange trickle in. Very obvious orange peel in the finish, almost makes me want to pick strings out of my teeth.

M – Thinner than I'd like, but typical of the style. Seems a bit undercarbonated, at any rate.

D – Well, I have a whole six-pack of this, so I'm dedicated to liking it, but I'm not happy about how hard I'm trying. Honestly, this is my first IPA in many months, so perhaps that is affecting my judgment. So, for now, plus 0.5 for likely human error, and I'll try again with one of the others after a few weeks of drinking IPAs I already know I like.

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

I didn't think I'd ever be happy when I said "My brother got scurvy," but that's what happened when I looked in the fridge last night. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger or so of white foam. Since I let it sit for a few minutes following the pour, I found a healthy layer of sediment at the base of the beer. Hmm. The nose comprises orange zest, light lemon zest, and a touch of mint. It's all pretty faint, though. The taste holds notes of orange peel, lemon rind, light coriander, and very light caramel. The body is a hefty light, with a very light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, a kinda sad, limp IPA. I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it's as bad as its namesake, but I can easily say I was decidedly disappointed.

Scurvy from Tyranena Brewing Company