Bitter Woman India Pale Ale | Tyranena Brewing Company

3.9

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.57/5  rDev -34.1%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear, coppery medium amber with two fingers of off-white foam; great retention and lacing. A beautiful IPA in every way.

S: Oddly sharp aroma of resiny, floral hops; a hint of grapefruit and (I hate to say it) vomit. Spicy and unique, but rather unpleasant.

T: Starts out with dully bitter, vegetal hops, then shows some welcome caramel malt before devolving into a hugely unpleasant astringency. Not a good IPA at all, but at least the vomit doesn't really come through.

M: Medium bodied with a low dose of carbonation. Meh.

D: Never tastes good, but really isn't all that hard to choke down.

Notes: Wow, was this one a disappointment. I love IPAs, and this was hands-down one of the worst I've had. I'd been hearing good things about Tyranena lately, but the Bitter Woman was just as harsh and vindictive as I remember her being a few years ago. Maybe I got an old bottle, but the off flavors seemed to be coming from bad hops, not oxidation or infection. Simply not good, and something I'll never choose over New Glarus again.

Cheers!

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -30.8%

This is an average IPA at best. Pours a clear tangerine color with a medium white head. Aroma is basically all pine and very sharp pine needles at that. Taste once again seems very bitter to me. All I get is hops. Where's the malt in this one. Body is a bit on the lighter side. Finishes with a grapefruit citrus bitterness. This is very one sided and really bitter to me. I am not impressed.

2.76/5  rDev -29.2%

This created a rocky, eggshell-white head with decent retention. The color was a slightly cloudy deep-amber. The nose was more sweet than hoppy, plus I caught a real whiff of straight alcohol that burned my sinuses. The mouthfeel was medium with a light hoppiness on the palate. The finish had a good bitterness, but it still did not seem hoppy enough to suit me.

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured a nice clean copper color with a light off white head. Little retention and almost no lacing.

The smell was very lemony citrus, almost not hoppy a bit pledge like.

The flavor is thin, very light bready malt body with light juniper hops, very mild flavors an more balanced than I would expect and IPA to be.

The mouthfeel had a medium thickness with some nice resin.

With so many really good IPA's available this one really falls the back or middle of the pack.

2.87/5  rDev -26.4%

I'm looking at a pint glass with no emotion. The beer pours with a thick head that reatins at the top and sticks to the walls of the glass. The color is a dark amber with almost no motion to it whatsoever.
On the nose I smell a slight hop aroma with a bit of wood to back it up. The coniferous presence of hops shows itself at the very end.
While showing the IPA character this beer was trying to go for, it still lacked the bite that most have. The flavor is short lasting, with pine and a hint of citrus on the back of the tongue.
While full bodied, this beer shows almost no character. It is still, just waiting to be spilled.
I cannot say what I truly think of this beer right away because this is the first time I have tasted it. However, I am not impressed as of now. The flavor is there, but they need to work on the carbonation of the product. It also does not help that distributors are merging and have influence on the way the beers are produced.
Would I buy this beer again? Yes. Just to see if I had a bad sixer or if this is the way it turns out all the time. I'll give it another chance. I have not yet come across an IPA I did not like, and I'm not about to judging by the first experience.

2.96/5  rDev -24.1%

Thanks Scoobydank for this extra.

12oz. stubby brown bottle poured into an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours a golden, slightly hazed, orange. 2 big fingers of eggshell pillow-y head. Some decent retention. Nice lacing throughout.

S: Mostly grapefruit. Not very pungent but straight up grapefruit. Just a touch of yeast.

T/M: Pretty weak for an American IPA. More along the lines of an English IPA. Some mild hop bitterness and weak citrus. Body is kind of light. Finishes dry with some lasting bitterness.

D: Weaker ABV would also suggestion English IPA(even though it's within American IPA range). It didn't taste bad, just very weak and unimpressive. Easy to drink and lower ABV helps its session ability?

2.97/5  rDev -23.8%

Long lasting bitter aftertaste. Ok but would not buy again.

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

I found this beer to have a nice balance of malt and hoppy bitterness. Beautiful golden color as well. But the flavor profile with the hops is pretty one-sided, like Cascade, sticking straight out of the maltiness underneath. So it just stings and goes away.

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured a light amber color with a copper color hinting through the glass. A half inch high head forms, that laces down slowly and forms a thin layer on top. A cracked grain fragrance dominates the aroma surprisingly, that is followed by a disappointing mild grassy and citrus scent that is lackluster for an IPA. The taste starts with a sweet malt and bread/biscuit flavor, then the hops come forward halfway across the palate. The hops bring a combination of earthy, grassy, citrus bitterness that lingers long after each taste is gone. The texture is slightly watery at the front, then gains some weight as it reaches the strong dry finish that stays with you. A desent IPA with a solid color and flavor, along with a consistent mouthfeel. The big let down is the aroma, was not as grabbing as I would expect from an IPA.

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into mug. Crystal clear. Orange Amber color. 1/2" white head on pour. Good bitterness in the beginning that lingers. No real malt complexity. Sweet citrus notes in the nose.

My first of six in the sample pack. The balance of bitterness to malt may be slightly too bitter for me in this one. I wish there was more in the malt complex.

Bitter Woman India Pale Ale from Tyranena Brewing Company