Shaggin' In The Wood | Tyranena Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
tyranena.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by darklordlager on 01-19-2010

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into snifter.

Pours hardly any head. Just a thin ring around the glass. Color is clear mahogany copper.

Aroma: Very sweet. Notes of toffee, caramel, and vanilla. The bourbon blends in and comes off sweet as well. It has an amaretto type flavor as well that I like. It is kind of nutty.

Taste: Again, it is fairly sweet. It is also toasted. Has some marshmallow and vanilla flavors with some cocoa. Tastes kind of like a candy bar. Some nutty flavors here. Caramel and toffee. The bourbon is light, but it shows just enough. Awesome taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry and sweet.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't as roasty as a normal scotch ale and it was more sweet, but I liked it. It was really drinkable and enjoyable. I swear I was picking up a coconut flavor while drinking this beer and it tasted like a mounds bar. Mmmm!

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

A-Dark brown pour, moderately opaque. Thin white head.

S-Lots of bourbon initially, very easy to habituate. Molasses, toasted nuts, some vanilla and caramel.

T-Bourbon at first then mostly oak from the barrel. Lots of caramel, toasted malt, some vanilla. This tastes like a much more mellow backwood's bastard. It is delicious and so well balanced.

M-I enjoyed this a lot but I felt it could have used a little more of a bite. It feels very syrupy but is still quite smooth. Tyranena does a great job though of making not over the top barrel aged beers with a decent abv.

O-I would love to try this one again. It is very drinkable and I wish I knew how potent it was but it is not listed. It may be a little high but I don't know. Once again I must say that they did a great job on this barrel aged scotch ale.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

A: A dark copper and ruby liquid fills my snifter with a thin light tan head that dissipates quickly, but is present around the edge. Very minimal lacing

S: Hints of bourbon, sweet bread, vanilla. It is very pleasant aroma.

T: First sip reveals a subdued bourbon and caramel. The sweet bread flavor mixed with vanilla, and a hint of oak. Really enjoy the taste, even though I prefer even more bourbon flavor in my BA beers.

M: It is a tad thin and watery for a scotch ale. It is expected since it has been BA. Medium carbonation.

This is a blended 70% BA scotch ale, but an all around solid BA scotch ale from Tyranena. I would really like to taste it 100% BA since I enjoy the bourbon and vanilla flavors. I'm sure there are many that will like that the bourbon doesn't overwhelm the other flavor or aroma.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks for sharing this one Bobby, I've been wanting to try it for awhile now.

A: Pours a dark amber color, perhaps brown, with a finger of tan head to go with it.

S: Tons of vanilla and chocolate aromas to the beer which are just great. A mild peatiness and some sweet toffee and caramel. Not as much bourbon as you might expect, but there is a fair amount of oak aroma.

T: Rich and creamy vanilla really dominates the beer, but I don't find it overwhelming. Sweet toffee and vanilla along with cocoa powder add additional sweetness. Again, minimal bourbon flavor, but there is a substantial charred oak flavor, particularly on the back end.

M: Medium in body with a smooth, medium carbonation.

O: This is one of the best, and most under the radar breweries out there, and the Brewers Gone Wild series have been winners across the board.

Shaggin' In The Wood from Tyranena Brewing Company