Shaggin' In The Wood | Tyranena Brewing Company

Shaggin' In The WoodShaggin' In The Wood

Tyranena Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by darklordlager on 01-19-2010

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 116 | Ratings: 258
3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a .3L Lettich Balloon glass/snifter. Head is about 1 finger high and creamy off-white. Fades a bit, but manages to stick around for a bit as well. Lace is mild. The beer's color is reddish or caramel brown.

The aroma is pretty nice. Malty at first, with some fruity notes, some dark, pitted fruit as well, then I get more of the bourbon, oak, light vanilla, caramel, and hints of toffee and chocolate. Bourbon smells are moderate. A nice smell in that you can definitely pick up what seems to be the base beer along with the barrel aging.

The taste follows the aroma pretty well. Sweet and generously malty, caramel, toffee, and dark fruits up front with bourbon, light oak and light vanilla following close behind. In the back are those hints of chocolate, cocoa, and maybe even slight coffee. Tasty but not as bourbon forward as I would have liked. Definitely can pick up what seems to be the base beer mixing well with the barrel aging, though.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Creamy full consistency, medium-ish carbonation, medium bordering on full body, and a subtle but slightly lingering finish.

Overall, this is definitely a good beer. Not a bourbon bomb by any means, but pretty darn good. I would have preferred more bourbon in the taste and slightly more in the aroma, but that's just me and my love affair with Founders Backwoods Bastard, which has some similar qualities but obviously a different beer. Bottom line, this is worth a try!

Thanks so much to funhog for sending this as an extra in our recent trade!

3.56/5  rDev -11%

12oz bottle in my DFH glass. Shared with my roomate.

A- A very nice reddish amber color, on the darker side. It is not at all cloudy, crisp and clear. Little to no head, a ring retains around the edge of the glass.

S- I get a lot of metal. A little sweetness and molasses, but not much.

T- Very smooth, creamy caramel flavor. Not bad for the style, and a good strong aftertaste. I don't get much barrel, maybe a touch of oak in the aftertaste. Also a little hops on the aftertaste.

M- It's a bit watery. The flavor is just rather flat, and there is almost no carbonation. The aftertaste is probably the best part.

O- Overall this is by no means a bad beer, but didn't really take much from the barrels. I wouldn't turn it down if offered, but probably would actively pursue.

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's (Madison, WI)

I just toured Tyranena over the weekend. It's only fitting that I have one of their beers this week.

Appearance: The color is burnt umber and falu red with very little head making an appearance. I'm suspecting the lack of head is a result of the alcohol presence in this. A little leg showing up on the side of my glass and very little lace.

Smell: Caramel malts, vanilla, a bit of bourbon and a little smoky as well.

Taste: The tasting starts out with sweet caramel malt coming through. The bourbon does make an appearance in this with the sweetness starting to roll off and a little more alcohol and vanilla comes through. The alcohol just barely comes through, and is very well hidden in this.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, carbonation was just right after cracking open the bottle.

Drinkability: I can't handle heavy, sweeter beers like this too often, so one of these in an evening will do just fine. This was a great try though, and had it not been for a trade I probably wouldn't have picked it up, but I'm glad I did.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance-Very nice copper color but little head.

Smell-Good scotch ale smell, malty, light smoke aroma and a hint of vanilla.

Taste-Not a strong bourbon flavor, I get more vanilla than anything, along with the very nice sweet malt flavor.

Mouthfeel-Sweet amd slightly sticky. Not as thick as most scotch ales I'm used to.

Drinkability-I really enjoy this beer. I typically prefer a thicker, darker scotch ale such as lake louie reserve scotch ale but this is delicious. The vanilla flavor from the bourbon barrel aging is excellent. I would prefer a little more bourbon flavor but this is a very tasty beer.

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Glad to be trying another Tyranena BGW brew. Most I've had have been very good.

A - Pours a rich brown, transparent with a white lacing and no stick on the glass. Why are these twist off caps??

S - A good amount of smoke in the nose then a hint of wood

T - Nice maltiness and caramel followed by some sweetness in the back. As it warms the bourbon somes thru just a touch mostly in vanilla. The smoke form the nose creeps in as well when this warms which adds another layer of complexity.

M - Sweet and rather full bodied, not what I was expecting. Sweetness clings just a touch

D - The bourbon is not overwhelming, which I don't like, but it is very well balanced. The smokiness in the nose keeps you wanting more.

Overall another good beer from Tyranena. Not spectacular but balanced enough to make me save one for a few months down the line. When I took the our I was stacks of barrels aging...hoping I'd be able to get some. Glad I did.

3.07/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Brown body with slight hints of amber, almost no head, no lacing.

S-A little bourbon and peat smoke, maybe some oak and caramel.

T-Toffee, some bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and a much fainter peat note than I got in the nose. Very sugary with some higher alcohols.

M-Thick and sugary with very low carbonation.

D-I have been pretty impressed with the BGW series thus far, but this was really a disappointment. It is just way to thick with sugars, and I am not really sure that bourbon was a good addition to the beer, maybe if it was blended in a lower ratio.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Vigorous pour produces a foam glass from top to bottom, with a nice reverse cascading head that turns into a beautiful crisp clear almost red ale. Nice sticky residue left behind. It smells almost chocolate like. I get a little bourbon wood smell in with it, little malt and vanilla as well. Very nice smooth mouth feel. Wow this is very nice. Way to easy to drink. It does not list ABV, but sheep shagger is 7.70. This beer reminds me of a fairy tale, its not too strong and its not too light, its just right. Pick it up if you find it.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks Maximum12!

Pours an russet amber with a thin white head that laces down the glass. Smell is muted, some sweet, almost maple aroma and a little bit o' bourbon. Taste is muted as well, with cereal, chocolate and carmel along-side the mellowed bourbon taste. a little thin in the mouth, I would drink this again, but would seek out a fresh bottle, if only to see how it differs.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Clear copper hue with literally no head whatsoever. Very rarely do I like a beer with this little of a head and lacing, but I'll give it a shot.

S: Ahhh, there we go. Sweet caramel and vanilla, but also finishes with some woodsy oak.

T: The nose does not mislead. Sweet caramel malt and vanilla come in strong. The barrel aging adds a nice oaky finish that isn't too overpowering to take away from the outstanding base of this beer.

M: Amazingly somewhat light with no carbonation. However, even without this, it avoids tasting syrupy.

One of the most drinkable barrel aged beers I think I've ever had. I think I could easily finish a few of these in a sitting!

4/5  rDev 0%

Vintage: 2011

Serving Type: On Draft @ Geneva Ale House poured into a sniffer.

A: Pours a blood-orange color that does not have any hazey characteristics. Head is light & foamy.

S: A slight bitter hop aroma at 1st, but not strong. Roasted malts in the aroma that holds strong.

T: A weak, bitterness is observed; however, the roasted malts and oaty-malts prevail! Sweet fruit also can be detected.

M: A heavier, medium body beer. Slight alcohol heat & decent carbonation.

D: A nice sipper over a nice hearty meal (I had the Black Forest panini). This can also be consumed fairly quickly if you also choose to. At 9% ABV you will feel it once done!

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured fro 12 oz bottle into a stange

A - Clear, reddish copper color. Very small head with little retention. Light lacing lingers at the edges

S - I love the smell. Oak, vanilla, grains....very pleasant nose!

T - Nice oak presence, almost smoky oak taste. Nice grainy malts. A warm alcohol finish.

M - Carbonated, light to medium bodied and pretty smooth.

O - The more I drink it, the more I like it. Very unique, love the smoky oak presence. I'm surprised its as carbonated as it is. I could definitely see this one growing on me!

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Chestnut brown with bits of scarlet, translucent, thin but persistent head.

S: Nutty with hints of vanilla perhaps.

T: Nutty taste with sweet caramel flavor and vanilla, brought together by a faint yet distinct bourbon flavor.

M: Very smooth.

Overall: An absolute treat of a beer! It's got a distinct nutty taste with fantastic sweetness from the caramel. The bourbon is faint, but it seems to be exactly right! Highly recommended! Tyranena has outdone themselves. A big thanks goes to Wisrarebeer for this one!

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this up on a whim, figured it to be something along the lines of Backwoods Bastard. Turns out to be the opposite to me.

Appearance was a beautiful deep red copper. Not much of a head.

Nose was a little weak, but I immediately noted that the bourbon wasn't the first thing my nose found.

Taste was fantastic. I got the Scotch Ale first and thought I was going to be disappointed by the lack of bourbon barrel flavors. Then the Vanilla and Caramel and Bourbon hit on the back end of the flavors. This is why I say it was the opposite of BB.

Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with appropriate carbonation.

Drinkability is high, I'm looking forward to the rest of this 4 pack!

4.28/5  rDev +7%

Guy at the store told me to try this while I was waiting on the KBS to come in this year. Really I figured the name would be the best part of the beer. Lets see.

A - This as a decent looking beer, but it was lighter in color then I had expected. No real head to speak of but the beer does lace down the side of my glass.

S - Using the two sniff method, the first sniff was bitter and the second sniff quickly went to sweet. You could smell the caramel malts and maybe a little bit of vanilla.

T - This is woodsy with caramel, chocolate and a little booze.

M- Just right, not too thick but it sticks on your tongue long enough to get a great taste.

D - Could drink this all night long.

This is a really young beer. This would be great if it had a few years on it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Was hoping for better things from this beer. Taste is relatively straight forward for a scotch ale. You can't really detect much of the bourbon barrel aging on this beer which was disappointing to me. Relatively small head and decent nose. Have a few more that I will try over time but wont seek out again despite the pretty good price on these. Overall, tasty scotch ale but no barrel aging presence so a little thin in that regard.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Having sex in the woods is central Wisconsin’s equivalent to having sex on the beach. It sounds romantic – a return to Edan, where surrounded by flowers and birdsong, innocent pleasures bloom beneath Earth’s singular, naked moon. In reality, however, forest coitus is pretty miserable. Mosquitos, spiders and ticks attack plump and supple regions. Humans invented beds, hammocks, futons, cots and mats for a reason, as sticks, twigs, dirt, and bark grinding into one’s hands, back and buttocks will have a couple wishing for the seediest motel mattress. And every leaf crunch or branch shake becomes an approaching stranger that ruins the mood.

Tyranena’s beer thankfully doesn’t embody its namesake’s wretchedness. Before taking a sip, a sweet blend of bourbon and sugar greet the nose. Then slick mixture of vanilla, honey, peat and a tinge of smoke greats the tongue. After each swallow, bourbon haunts the mouth the way a former lover’s presence remains on your pillow long after she left you. While it could be thicker, and the malt profile has slightly coppery notes, drinking this beer is still infinitely more pleasurable than actually shagging in the woods where instead of a nice buzz, you risk a terrible case of poison ivy on your crotch.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last